Chapter III

Love, Mark I N-CITY #1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The car ride was short and Haechan parked in front of my house. I could see that Jaehyun was already asleep and the lights in my parents’ room were already off. Haechan looked back and I saw his eyes on Mark, a mix of pity and sadness. Why did I feel like I was kept in the dark? I breathed a sigh, about to leave the car when Haechan called after me.

“What are you doing? Take Mark with you.”

“What?” I frowned at him; Mark’s knocked-out body in the back seat. “Aren’t you sending him home?”

“You crazy? His parents are such light sleepers and they’ll know he was drinking. It’s not the first time he crashed over at your house,” he said, motioning to Mark before lifting his phone to his ear. “Uh, yeah. Hyung, we’re here.”

Who was he talking to?

It didn’t take long until I saw my brother leave the front door, Jaehyun in his hoodie and sweats. He ruffled his hair, walking to the car to peer into it. He turned to Haechan and there was a knowing look on his face, Haechan nodding when Jaehyun grabbed Mark. He then threw Mark over his shoulder, my best friend showing no signs of waking up.

“Come on now,” Jaehyun told me before tapping the hood of the car. “Thanks, Haechan.”

Jaehyun closed the door and Haechan zoomed away. Jaehyun was quiet and Mark mumbled under his breath, my brother carrying him into the house. He didn’t seem to ask why Mark was at this state and I came to the conclusion that he wasn’t curious. We tried to be as quiet we could, both of us walking up the creaking stairs when Jaehyun told me that he’ll put Mark in his room.

I nodded, my brother lunging Mark’s limp body into his room and I could hear a grunt as Jaehyun threw him onto his bed. I entered my room and I could hear Jaehyun shuffling around in his room and I decided to take a shower. My mind was filled with thoughts of concern. I wanted to kill anyone who hurt him and to see him at this state made my heart worry.

I brushed my hair, Jaehyun coming into my room. I looked up to see that he was going to sleep with me, my brother falling back onto my bed. I tapped on my moisturizer and climbed into bed, Jaehyun reaching up to put off the lights and we were plunged into darkness.

The room was so quiet, we would be able to hear a pin drop, Jaehyun finally speaking out into the silence.

“Aren’t you going to miss him?” Jaehyun asked and I frowned. “When Mark goes to Canada. Aren’t you going to miss him?”

What kind of question was that? It was also the first time Jaehyun was trying to initiate a conversation with me about feelings. I nodded, telling him I would.

“But he’s only going for a year,” I answered, Jaehyun sighing.

“A lot can happen in a year,” Jaehyun replied. “My ex went for an exchange program for a year and it didn’t work out.”

“That’s different, Jaehyun. That was your ex. Mark is a friend. It wouldn’t matter.”

“Wouldn’t it?” he asked me back and I nodded softly. “You sure?”

His question made my mind reel and I thought about the possibility of Mark coming back differently. But that wasn’t possible, he was Mark. He was my Mark Lee. A smile painted my lips as I thought of him, memories of us from when we were little drawing out pictures in my head.

Mark Lee.

“You really don’t know, don’t you?” Jaehyun asked.

“What?”

“I guess you don’t,” Jaehyun muttered. “Go to sleep. You’ll have to take care of a hung-over Mark tomorrow.”

And with that, he turned to the side and fell asleep.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“I am not eating anything else other than watermelon!” Mark was saying and I wanted to smack him to Neptune and not back. He was on my bed, rolling over to the side because he felt like he wanted to puke.

I sat on my bed, staring at him. He refused to eat the porridge I cooked because he said it tasted bland but I bet his stomach wouldn’t be able to handle anything else. He had a headache and had moved to my room when Jaehyun told him he had to study.

“Why were you drinking so much anyway? What did Chloe do to you?” I asked and Mark’s lips paled. “Should I go and talk to her?”

“What did Chloe do?” Mark asked back, confused. “I didn’t even meet Chloe yesterday. She went off with Johnny.”

“What? If it’s not Chloe, then who is it?” I asked, Mark, blinking rapidly at me. I grabbed his ankle so he wouldn’t try to leave. “Who is it, Mark Lee? Who friend zoned you?”

“Why? What if you know who it is?”

“I’ll go and knock some sense into her! That’s what I’ll do!” I punched my palm at the thought of Mark not being appreciated by some . Everyone knows how much a sweetheart Mark was. He was always confused, yes—but he had his charms and to hell to anyone who didn’t agree with me. I huffed with irritation, a hand going up to rub the corner of my eye just to see Mark smiling at me.

“What?” I barked.

“You’re cute,” he said, patting my arm. “I’m fine. I was drunk! Why would you take in a drunk man’s word seriously? Besides, I’m leaving soon. It won’t matter…. I think.”

“Who is she? Mark, you never keep secrets from me.” I told him, Mark moving away to stand up and stretch. “At least tell me who it is.”

Mark turned and clicked his tongue. “Some things are better unsaid. I’m going home and taking a nap. I’ll take the porridge and eat it at home because you cooked it. What do you have to do today?”

“Nothing. I have a date with Yuta in the evening.”

“A date? Didn’t you just go on a date yesterday?” This time it seemed like Mark’s expression changed and I nodded. “Isn’t it like… too fast? Say, do you want to get frozen yogurt?”

“You don’t eat frozen yogurt.” I reminded him for the nth time. Mark scratched his head. “And didn’t you want to go home and nap?”

“Not anymore,” he said, jumping onto my bed. “Let’s hang out, you know I’m leaving.”

“Woah, why the sudden change of mind?” I asked, Mark shrugging and saying that he was going with a flow. “Fine, I’ll cancel. It’s not like I want to go eat sushi anyway.”

“Why would you even agree if you don’t like sushi?” he asked and I paused, “Right, you’re a pushover.”

“I’m not! I just… I just kind of like him.” I sniffed. “He’s cute. Besides, it’s not like I hate sushi—”

“You hate seaweed. Sushi is literally rice wrapped up in seaweed,” he told me and I blinked. Sometimes, I hated how well he knew me. I didn’t say anything, grabbing my phone and texting Yuta to tell him that I would be spending the day with Mark and if we could reschedule. As usual, he was nice about it and Mark seemed immediately cheerful.

“Where should we go?” he asked.

“Frozen yogurt?” I asked and he made a face, saying that I knew he didn’t eat yogurt. “That’s what I’ve been telling you!”

“How about that café? The one we used to go to, let’s sit and chill. Like we used to do,” he said and I nodded, liking the plan. I stood up and prepared to leave, Mark going to borrow Jaehyun’s clothes before we left the house and took the public bus.

When we got on, Mark motioned to the seat and I sat, Mark standing beside me as he gripped the handle. He was humming to himself and I found myself studying him where I was at. His cheekbones, the way his eyes sparkled when he talked about something he loved, the way he would talk to himself—Mark looked down at me and a genuine smile ran up his face and I realized that I would miss Mark a lot.

Even if it was for a year.

We got off the bus and finally settled in the café, Mark ordering milkshakes. He sipped it and made a face, getting brain freeze. I told him that he had to put his tongue against the back of his teeth to ease it and we sat there, talking like old times.

“I can’t believe you’re leaving in less a week. I know you’ll be back but… a lot can happen in one year.” I said, repeating Jaehyun’s words. Mark was quiet, playing with his straw. “By the time you come back, I hope I would have grown a little bit older. Get a little more experience in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter