Chapter II

Love, Mark I N-CITY #1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I got my reasons but I get caught in my feelings
And I don't wanna say bye, don't wanna say bye, bye

 

After class was when I saw Mark duck behind the seats away from Chloe, Haechan waking up because he had slept past the lecture. Yuta stood up from beside me and asked if we should leave and I nodded, trying to find Mark but he had already disappeared into the waves and clusters of other students. I felt a hand reach out to take my bag, the weight of my bag disappearing from my shoulders and when I turned to the side, I saw that Yuta was carrying it.

What a gentleman.

“You’ll have to bring me to the coffee shop,” Yuta told me. “I’m new so I don’t know where everything is yet.”

“No worries,” I told him, smiling at him when we pushed past the crowd. My eyes settled onto Haechan who was by the entrance of the school. A limousine parked in front of the entrance and even if it was normal to see Haechan’s driver pick him up—this was different. I saw suited-up guards grab him as he tried to fight them off.

“Sorry, Yuta. Give me a moment. Haechan!” I called out to Mark’s friend. He was Mark’s friend, not mine; mind you. Haechan turned around, the suited guards stepping back for a moment to give him space. “What’s this?”

“They want to send me off to rehab,” Haechan droned on, pushing his glasses up his head and putting his hands on his hips. His tongue poked the side of his cheek with annoyance. “It’s not like I need it.”

Oh, but he did.

So, I told him so.

“It’s not my place and I’m late for my coffee date, but do what’s best for yourself,” I told him, Haechan frowning at my words. He grabbed my arm and I looked at him, confused. “What?”

“You’re actually going on a coffee date?” he asked and I nodded slowly. “I… I thought you were going to get frozen yogurt with Mark?”

“Mark doesn’t eat frozen yogurt,” I told him, slowly pulling away from Haechan who seemed worried. “Anyway, I’m off. Good luck!”

And with that, I saw Haechan try to book it but he was grabbed by the influx of his bodyguards and shoved into the car. I chuckled. He was Haechan, he’d get through it. Maybe with his parent’s help, he would stop drinking and smoking up. I walked back to Yuta who smiled at me kindly and told him where to go.

“We have a famous coffee shop here. It’s actually run by one of the students,” I told Yuta when we neared the place. “It’s that one. The one with the pink roof.”

“Nana’s café?” he asked and I nodded. “Very cute.”

“Run by Na Jaemin. He’s a major in broadcasting and advertising,” I told him, pushing the door open to go into the coffee shop. The smell of roasted coffee beans reached my nose and I loved the ambiance of the place. I saw Na Jaemin look up at me from the counter, his eyes going to Yuta before he frowned.

“Hey,” he said before saying my name. “Where’s Mark?”

He just had to, didn’t he? I have only always come with Mark. Being an introvert, it was hard going out without anyone I was ever comfortable with. Telling him that Mark busy and I came with a friend, I saw a flicker of curiosity flitter through Jaemin’s eyes.

What’s wrong with people these days? I haven’t dated anyone and shouldn’t they all be happy for me that that might change very soon?

“As usual?” Jaemin asked me before flashing Yuta a smile. “I’ve never seen you around before. Are you new?”

“Exchange student,” Yuta replied politely when Jaemin nodded, pressing his lips together.

“I see, so she’s showing you around then?” Jaemin asked and I blinked at him. “Sorry, it’s just—it’s the first time she has brought someone other than Mark to the café. It’s a bit—”

“Nana,” I said, my cheeks tinged pink. I didn’t need Yuta to know I had no dating experience. Na Jaemin cleared his throat, his hands grabbing a mug. “I’ll take a seat then.”

With that, I gave Jaemin a pointed look, the male not dragging his gaze away from Yuta. I sat by the window, the sunlight blazing as small specks of dust swirled beautifully in the air. Yuta placed both my bag and his beside him. He was so… pretty. His smile brightened up the room and there was something about Yuta that was calming.

He shifted and I heard Jaemin ask Jeno where the sugar was and when I looked up, I saw Jeno come out of the small kitchen that was behind the café. His gaze dropped on me and Yuta before he nudged Jaemin, pointing at me. I tried to ignore them, both of them standing behind the counter and staring at Yuta and me like we were animals in the zoo.

“Who’s Mark?” Yuta asked suddenly and I turned to him. “People keep mentioning his name.”

“Ah, my best friend,” I told him. “You must have seen him before. I was with him at the party. He’s the one who—”

“Pushed you off the chair today, wasn’t he?” Yuta asked and I chuckled. He mirrored my laugh and his eyes twinkled. “You guys must be really close.”

“We grew up together,” I sighed. “Mark is that one person I know who won’t ever leave my side. Don’t you have a close friend like that?”

Yuta paused, thinking. “Not really. I envy those who do. It’s not every day you see genuine friendships. I’m a bit more careful with the friends I make.”

He was so wise. Or was it because I was actually interested in him?

“Is it true you’ve never brought anyone to the café before?” He asked and I coughed, Jeno appearing in an apron and giving us two cups of coffee. I looked up to thank him and he lingered, turning to stare at Yuta.

“Thank you,” Yuta said to Jeno who took a step back and proceeded to go back to the counter with his eyes still strained on Yuta.

Maybe they thought Yuta was good-looking because he was. He looked back at me to wait for my answer to his previous question when I nodded. It wasn’t something I was proud of. It just showed how unsocial I was beyond home, Mark’s room, and my classroom.

“It’s an honor,” Yuta said smoothly, bringing the coffee up to his lips.

“How’d you know my brother?” I asked, remembering that he was Jaehyun’s friend.

“Your brother was in an exchange in Osaka at my school. I met him there so when I was given the opportunity to come to Seoul, I told him and it turned out it was his university.”

Ah, no wonder. Jaehyun did go to Japan for six months and he came back ecstatic because he had made so many friends. I was always envious of my brother’s ability to make friends but he was naturally friendly.

“Aren’t you scared that he’ll get mad at you for being here with me?” I asked and Yuta tilted his head at me.

“Aren’t you?” he asked me back and I shook my head. My brother hardly ever a problem and he could never stay mad at me even if he tried. “Then it’s not a problem then,” Yuta concluded and I nodded.

“Do you want to go and catch a movie sometime?” He asked boldly and for someone who looked sweet and shy, Yuta had a knack of staring at you straight in the eyes. I tried not to divert my gaze but it was hard not to look away. “There is this movie in the cinemas that I really want to watch.”

“Is that so?” I asked, taking a gulp of the coffee. I tried to handle the burn, nervous about Yuta’s invitation. This would be a first and I didn’t know if I was ready. “Which one?”

“Love, Simon,” Yuta replied and I found myself smiling. It was hard to find a guy who enjoyed romance movies. Most of them preferred action movies. I could never drag Mark to the movies, he always fell asleep halfway through so we resorted to watching movies on my bed instead. “What do you think?”

“Sure,” I said, pausing. “So, it’s a date.”

“It is,” Yuta said, smiling. “Three date rule?” He asked and I wondered what that was. He chuckled, telling me that in Japan, people go on three dates to know if the person is right for them. And if in three dates, you realize that you can get along that is how it gets serious.

“I see,” I mumbled, leaning forward and chewing on my bottom lip. “Three date rule.”

He smiled. “Cute. How about tomorrow?”

“Tomorrow is good. I have only afternoon class until 3:30.” I told him. “I can book the—”

“Oh, I’ll do it. It’s the first date,” he told me, already on his phone. “Where is your house? Should I send you back?”

“It’s fine.” I quickly said, shaking my head. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

He was too much of a gentleman for his own good. He nodded and we both stood up, Yuta handing me my bag and as we exited the café, I saw Jaemin and Jeno stare at us from behind; their small beady eyes from behind the counter.

The bell of the café sounded as the door closed behind us and Yuta turned to me, a soft smile traveling up his features and I found myself smiling back at him.

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” he said to me. “Go. I’ll wait till you go on the bus.”

Was this a blush I was feeling? My cheeks turned hot and I nodded, right at that moment, my bus arrives. I waved at him, walking to the bus stop and entering the bus. I saw Yuta stand there, a hand up as he waved at me.

[Welcome to NANA'S CAFE!]

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

I was in my bedroom, drawing again. Every time I thought of Yuta, I felt my cheeks turn hot and my hands would turn into fists. The feeling was new and I had no idea how to deal with it. Sketching the photo out, I looked at it to realize that I had drawn another person. I could see the nose and the lips begin to form and I shook my head. I always drew without a goal and I brought the pencil back on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter