Can I Have This Dance

Can I Have This Dance

“Settle down now, everyone.” The homeroom teacher, Kang Seulgi, said as she placed her things on top of the podium and clapped her hands to gain the attention of her students, which deemed to be effective as everyone scurried to go to their respective seats. “I’m a bit late because we had an emergency meeting today.”


 

The four walls were gradually filled up by whispered murmurs. Heads were turning left and right, their expressions were expectant and almost as if they know what their teacher will say next. “And as usual, we tackled about maintaining the cleanliness of the room, about the uniforms which in this room I have no problems with. And of course…”


 

Everyone waited for the next statement with imaginary drumrolls playing in the background. Seulgi saw their eyes sparkle because of excitement as she spoke the next words, “Principal Bae had approved of the prom this year and it’s also approved by the university’s president, Miss Kim Taeyeon.” Everyone in the room knows that the two people are respectable and highly intimidating, for them to be able to get their authorization of the said event is already something to be celebrated by everyone, and everyone knows who they should thank.


 

“This event is organized by the student council and you guys can thank Chaewon later, not now.” Seulgi immediately stated before the room bursts into noise but thankfully, her students are already tamed and she guesses that it’s because it’s their last year in high school and that’s why they’re acting like they’re mature students. That thought simply warms her heart as their teacher. “Going back, for this year, the theme is ‘Ad Astra: A Sky Full of Stars’ because it won the survey which was given out back then.”


 

The students gave their knowing nods and Seulgi realizes that so far, so good. No one is reacting negatively yet.


 

“The audition for cotillion will also start tomorrow. For those who want to be part of it should tell…” Seulgi scanned the room searching for a responsible kid who could list down names and hold onto it until tomorrow. From where she’s standing, she could easily see the two Kim giving knowing glances, “Minjoo.”


 

Oh to be a high school student again. Seulgi thinks. It hasn’t been that long since she graduated but she missed being a high school student with her friends. She missed sharing glances with them and even gossiping about their crushes. Seulgi shooed those thoughts away for she’s here for work not to reminisce the past.


 

Minjoo immediately turned her attention to the teacher in front instead of talking with Chaewon through eyes and pointed to herself. “Me?” Completely taken aback with suddenly hearing her name, she knows that she didn’t do anything wrong except for glancing for a moment at the student council president’s direction.


 

“Yes, you,” Seulgi nodded. “You’ll simply jot down the names of those who want to be part of the cotillion.” Seulgi saw the student nod. “There will only be twenty pairs given the venue and I’ll be the one who’ll teach the dance.” Seulgi paused. “I expect that some of you will join,” Because it’ll be a shame if our section doesn’t have any representative at dancing.


 

“Any questions?” Seulgi saw Yena’s hand rise up in the air. “Yes, Yena?”


 

Everyone had their eyes on Yena, waiting for her to raise her question. “What about the partners?”


 

Seulgi can feel eyes fixated on her as she looked at her notes and she can’t believe that she almost forgot to say that information. “The boys will be partnered to the girls,” Seulgi narrowed her eyes at the thirteen boys inside this room. Even she herself is bummed at this rule which she will speak of. “And the other girls who are not chosen by our limited boys will have partners from other sections, given that their boys don’t have a partner yet.”


 

As expected, there were a lot of negative reactions. Majority of Seulgi’s babies (the people in this room) are girls and she even had a debate with Principal Bae regarding this during the meeting about letting the girls be partnered with girls, however, the principal did not approve of it saying that the parents wouldn’t like it. She doesn’t know where the idea came from, but she still believed in her principle that letting them walk through the carpet and spend the night with their friends would be much more comfortable than walking with someone they barely know.


 

Seulgi raised her curled fists, making her students hush. It’s a dynamic they worked on and learned over the year for she only uses this gesture whenever the class becomes too noisy or rowdy, and fortunately, her students are very much attentive and cooperative with her. Seulgi swears that she’ll miss this batch. 


 

“I tried to reason out with the Principal about your concerns, because I know it will be better to be partnered with your friends instead of someone you just met because it’s required.” Seulgi empathized. “However, let’s go with the rules for now and who knows what will happen before and during the prom. And I’ll also try to reason out with the principal again and fight for your rights.”


 

Seulgi just doesn’t want her babies to feel uneasy on their night. It’s supposed to be their night and she wants Principal Bae to know that it is also their right as students and as a free citizen to have the liberty in choosing their partners for that night instead of the rule.


 

“Any other questions?” Seulgi glanced at her wristwatch and noticed that homeroom period is long over and she should proceed to teaching them the lesson for today. “If there are any follow-up queries, approach me later at the faculty. Now, get your book and open them at page 205.”


 

The students obeyed their teacher and pulled out their respective books from their bags or under their desk, as they listened and jotted down notes with what Seulgi is saying, keeping in mind that whatever she says could possibly show up in the upcoming finals.


 

Time passed by quickly and everyone heard the bell rang, signifying break time for everyone in the campus. 


 

At the corner of the room, by the window, sat Chaewon and currently, she’s already surrounded by her friends.


 

“Now what?” Chaewon irritably said, glancing from her left to right, her friends faces were the only ones that she could see.


 

“Is that final already?” Yena muttered. “That rule?”


 

Chaewon sighed. She knew that this is coming the moment their teacher spoke about it. “Sadly, yes.”


 

Everyone sighed and the atmosphere changed after hearing Chaewon’s response. They surely don’t want to get partnered with somebody else unless that someone is their classmate. However, they also know so well that the boys in the room have already thought of their partners and none of them asked their circle of friends. It’s not because they’re not friends with them but because the boys are taken by the other girls. That is already a given when it comes to couples.


 

“Anyway, who’s gonna join the cotillion?” Minjoo interrupted their respective train of thoughts. Chaewon looked up and saw Minjoo’s sparkling orbs. “So far, no one is approaching me yet.”


 

When Chaewon looked at her the moment Seulgi announced about cotillion. She immediately thought of Minjoo. She’s aware of how the girl likes dancing and she wanted to support her on that endeavor. And surprisingly, Minjoo met her gaze and she thought that it was funny when their teacher appointed Minjoo to jot down the names of those who are interested to join. Who knew that sharing glances would lead to having a responsibility?


 

“I have no plans on joining.” Yuri stated. “I’m still bummed about the rule, sorry.”


 

Chaewon watched as Minjoo eyed Yena. “I also have no plans on joining,” Yuri and Yena returned to their respective seats.


 

Chaewon already knows the possible answer Minjoo will get from Yujin and Wonyoung. “It’s also a no unnie. Sorry,” Wonyoung apologetically said, while Yujin simply shook her head no and went back on her seat.


 

Chaewon inwardly sighed. She always had the urge to help the younger in any way that she can but with the current situation, she can’t use her power to make people join the cotillion. She’s not a dictator for goodness sake, she likes democracy and exercising the right to freely choose and express their selves is what she believes in.


 

Chaewon saw how Minjoo ran her hand through her hair in frustration, her eyebrows were slightly raised, eyes looked hopeful yet at the same time hopeless, and her lips slighting pouting. “What about you, Chaewon-unnie? Do you also have no plans on joining the cotillion?”


 

For all the years that she had known and spent time with Minjoo, this is not the first time the younger had used her pleading eyes unconsciously just to be able to get what she wants. And for goodness sake, Chaewon, as always couldn’t resist them. “I’ll join only if you’ll join.” Chaewon calmly said.


 

“That’s great,” Minjoo immediately wrote their names down at the back page of her history notebook, the same subject which Seulgi teaches them. “Although we’ll probably go home a little late because of practice but at least I’ve got company.” Minjoo uttered while showing their names to Chaewon.


 

“But how sure are you we’ll be chosen by Ms. Seulgi?” Chaewon said, trying to lessen the hopes of the younger. Joining such dances usually requires screening process, and Chaewon is highly conscious of that fact. Only the ones who can pass the screening can go on and practice the said dance. Minjoo was just about to speak when the bell rang again, signifying the end of their break time.


 

The rest of the day passed in a blur and now, the last period has just finished.


 

Minjoo was busy preparing her things that she will bring home when she felt a light tap on her shoulder. She glanced at the person and met the eyes of Wonyoung. “Minjoo-unnie, let’s go to the café first before going home.”


 

Minjoo looked outside the room. She saw Chaewon and Yujin waiting for the two of them. Minjoo hurriedly fixed her things, not wanting to bother the duo from taking away precious time from them.


 

As they exited the campus, the couple led the way and the two Kim were trailing behind. They felt small now that they’re looking at the tall giant’s backs.


 

“Where’s Yuri and Yena-unnie?” Minjoo asked the person beside her, trying to liven up the mood. She already had linked her arms with the older moments ago, a habit that she had after spending lots of time with the other.


 

“They already went home, I think.” Chaewon said, not knowing exactly what to say. But she did saw them hurriedly packing their bags, so she thinks that maybe it really is the case.


 

Minjoo nodded. Unsure of what to say next, she muttered under her breathe. “Tomorrow, we’ll have practice.”


 

Practice is just another word for screening and she hopes to be picked with Chaewon.

Minjoo looked at the sky and saw the blue sky that has red and orange streaks, a sign of the setting sun and by the moment the sun rises again, tomorrow has already arrived, which meant practice for cotillion. “Why did you want to join the cotillion, Unnie?”


 

Chaewon stiffened with the sudden question from the younger and it did not go unnoticed by Minjoo. Chaewon, as much as possible, doesn’t want to answer it. “Do I really have to have a reason to join?”


 

Minjoo shrugged. “Yeah?”


 

Chaewon sighed, “Is the reason, ‘I just want to’ justifiable for you?” It’s more than that. Chaewon added in her mind. But she has no plans on telling it to the younger, because things would get awkward between them if she’ll say it there and then and she doesn’t want that to happen.


 

“That can do, I guess.” Minjoo loosened up as she doesn’t really want to bother the older any longer. She knows just how tiring it is to be part of the student council. Almost always, they conduct meetings here and there, there are tons of paper works that they do, and other stressful stuff Minjoo doesn’t want to get involved in. And she has always admired the way Chaewon is able to balance her studies and the council.


 

“What about you, Minjoo? Why did you join?”


 

Minjoo turned to look at her friend and grinned, “I just want to.” Earning her a shot of Chaewon’s narrowed eyes as she said, “No originality.”


 

“Just kidding,” Minjoo giggled. “I joined because it’s the last time we’ll ever experience prom and I want to experience it all the way through and have fun.”


 

Chaewon could feel the passion coming out of Minjoo. Her eyes were intense and fiery. It’s something Chaewon is used to see especially when it comes to the things the younger loves. “Besides, I like dancing too,” Minjoo added.


 

Chaewon is aware ever since middle school how Minjoo likes dancing. They both do. It’s one of the reasons why they became friends in the first place because whenever there’s an event and it’s related to dancing, best believe that they’re participating.


 

Chaewon only smiled knowingly and spent the rest of the time walking, talking about other things, like their assignment that is due tomorrow, and a quiz that will happen on Friday, as they followed the couple in front of them.


 

The café’s bell chimed, signaling the arrival of new customers. The group picked the table near the window and comfortably sat there. 


 

“Who’s going to order?” Yujin nonchalantly asked. As if on cue, every head turned to look at her. “Well, that escalated quickly.”


 

It has always been her who places the orders for them and it is fine for her. Talking to others has always been a piece of cake for Yujin, and she didn’t mind too. “What’s your order?” Yujin asked as she looked at Wonyoung.


 

“Iced Americano,” Wonyoung said, making Yujin furrow her eyebrows. “Don’t tell me you have plans to stay up all night later,” Yujin commented. “You know very well that if you drink coffee you won’t be able to fall asleep quickly tonight.”


 

Minjoo and Chaewon casually pulled out their phone trying to zone out from the couple’s shushed banter. Stuff like that happens and it couldn’t be helped especially when your friends are suddenly lovers. They were busy scrolling through their social media accounts when they heard Yujin’s voice calling them.


 

“What about you Minjoo-unnie and Chaewon-unnie?”


 

The two put their phones down in sync. “I’ll have an iced Americano,” Minjoo muttered. “An iced chai tea latte for me,” Chaewon said.


 

“Okay.” Yujin said as she collected the money and went on to place their order.


 

The trio talked about the upcoming prom, their plans regarding it, and their preparations with their gown. Soon, Yujin came back and joined in on their talk. And as they continue to spend time with each other after class, Chaewon then knew that her classmates are either really excited for it or really bummed to the point that they don’t want to go. Either way, Chaewon won’t hold it against them if they don’t want to go, it’s not really required anyway but the corresponding points in physical education, as explained by their instructor, this day would be a waste if they won’t attend.


 

Shortly, the sun had set and was changed by the moon and the stars, causing them to leave and go home in order to prepare for another day that awaits them tomorrow.


 

---


 

Chaewon gracefully moved through the song as she felt it sweeping her by her feet. This has always been her way of expressing herself ever since she was a kid. It has hooked her before when she saw an emotionally moving dance and fell in love with the way a person can use their body to relay emotions. No matter what kind of dancing it may be, it is and always will be a language and a form of expression for her.


 

She became too engrossed with dancing that she didn’t quite hear the song that was then stopped by their teacher. She gradually came into a halt as the step that they were supposed to do is to twirl.


 

“Try to become more graceful everyone,” Seulgi said in a loud voice hoping that everyone in the venue could hear her. “The only ones who were doing the move in such elegant manner were the two Kim over there.” As if on cue everyone in the venue turned their heads to where the instructor pointed.


 

Seulgi is not saying this because they’re the only ones from her class that joined the cotillion but because they’re the only ones who executed the actions just as what she had in mind. They’ve been practicing for three weeks right after class ends. And as she has observed, only the two were able to give justice to the steps but she thinks that maybe it’s also because of the way their eyes felt of yearning, a feeling that she’s so familiar with. Seulgi shrugged the thought away.


 

Minjoo’s shoulders stiffened hearing that statement from their teacher while Chaewon looked at anything but her schoolmates. They have been practicing for quite some time now and just a sleep left and it’ll be the day, the prom. All preparations were already done and they’ve juggled between cotillion preparation and studying, and also the council in Chaewon’s part (where Minjoo also insisted to wait for her because she felt guilty that Chaewon joined the cotillion, she said that it’s the least that she could do for the older).


 

“Try to feel like you’re a royal princess attending a prestigious ball for a night, like Cinderella and enjoy every twists and turns yet still carrying yourself elegantly.” Seulgi tried to explain. “And to the boys, especially Hyunjin and Felix,” The two mentioned names flinched when they heard their name, almost wanting to hide from the sight of the instructor and afraid to hear the next words. “Try to become livelier tomorrow.”


 

Felix knew that he was not really feeling like practicing today and so he was a little laid back. He didn’t expect that the educator would be able to notice it. Meanwhile, Hyunjin simply wasn’t around during the last two practice sessions they had before this, making him lose his tempo at some parts and he just stood there biting his lip while trying his best not to step on his partner’s foot.


 

Minjoo looked at her partner apologetically and tried to telepathically send her sympathy towards him. Hyunjin probably felt that someone is staring at him and true enough, he met the gaze of Minjoo and he wore a faint smile while scratching the back of his neck. Minjoo averted her gaze and it landed on Chaewon, who apparently saw that little scene of the two.


 

The younger beamed brightly at the older’s direction and Chaewon returned the smile, however it didn’t reach her eyes.


 

The dancers saw the instructor do that motion of shaking her hand above her head, and Seulgi spoke, “From the top!”


 

They continued to practice on while at the other end of the venue, there sat Yujin and Wonyoung, watching the dancers go through their final rehearsal as they both took a break from running through their script for tomorrow’s event as masters of ceremony.


 

By the time their practice was done, it was already late in the afternoon. Wearing heels throughout the rest of the afternoon made Minjoo’s feet feel sore and uncomfortable. They tried to see whether or not they could dance using their respective footwear that will be utilized tomorrow. It didn’t help her that the pair of high heels she got was also in stilettos. She’s used to wearing high heels, yes. But dancing with them on is certainly a different story.


 

Unbeknownst to Minjoo, her cotillion partner managed to feel that discomfort too by simply observing her.


 

“Are you okay?” Hyunjin nudged at his partner who is now seated at one of the chairs around.


 

Minjoo nodded, not wanting to bother anyone as of the moment, besides, the practice is already finished, and they have been told to pack up and leave the venue the way they’ve seen it in the morning. They were told that some of their underclassmen and teachers will be decorating it tonight. The university didn’t bother decorating it in broad daylight because they want the element of surprise among the senior to be present tomorrow.


 

“Are you sure about that because your facial expressions a while ago were clearly not fine?” Hyunjin queries, making sure that his partner is really all right.


 

Minjoo smiled through the pain, “Don’t worry too much about me.” She felt that maybe something is up because Hyunjin isn’t the type to worry about other people. She had prejudiced him that he’s just another boy who’s only concerned about himself but she thinks that maybe she went a little too far there. For even though they’re cotillion partners, they never really talked to each other until now.


 

Minjoo waved her hands dismissively.  “You should go home now.”


 

She watched as Hyunjin’s eyes were squinting on her. “You can go home in that state?” Hyunjin’s voice was full of doubt. “I don’t think so.”


 

“Of course, I can,” Minjoo proudly said. “And shouldn’t you be practicing with Felix right now?”


 

On the other hand, a pair of glaring eyes was boring holes into the oblivious Hyunjin. And there, Felix thinks that if looks could kill, Hyunjin would probably be six feet under by now.


 

“Could it be that the student council president is jealous right now?” Felix said in an unbelievably annoying manner. It didn’t help Chaewon that his voice was deeper than the Marianas Trench. 


 

Chaewon rolled her eyes at her infuriating partner while changing footwear; from the heels to a slip on. “I’m not.”


 

Her words didn’t match her actions. She forcefully put her things inside her bag while still eyeing the two people a few meters away from them who are still talking with eye smiles. Looking at them act as if they’re inside their own little world made Chaewon frown and frustrated at herself.


 

“You could always barge in their conversation you know.” Felix commented while he nonchalantly rested his chin on top of the back of his hand. “He’d have no problem with it because you’re her best friend and not to mention, you have power over him.”


 

Chaewon glared at Felix, “It’s not as easy as you think it is.” She knows that she could do what he said but she’s not the type to do whatever she wants just because she has the authority to do so. Most of all, she doesn’t want to invade her best friend’s space, even when it already pains her to see her smiling and all giddy with another.

She’s not hers. She shouldn’t feel jealous but then, the green eyed monster is already looming over her heart.


 

Felix raised his eyebrows, “Suit yourself then.”


 

The two got silent while continuing to observe the other two. After some time, Chaewon got tired of being an on looker with the seemingly forming drama in front of them. She took two towels from her bag before walking towards the cotillion partners. She also thinks that maybe Felix has a point.


 

“C-Chaewon!” Minjoo exclaimed. Chaewon casually handed her a towel and Minjoo immediately grabbed her water bottle and gave it to the older. It’s a dynamic no one else has but them. It started years ago, during those dancing contests where they’re both participants in the same team and even if they’re at different teams, they’d still go home together too.


 

“Are you ready to go home?” Chaewon asked, completely ignoring the taller guy who seems amused with what’s happening.


 

Minjoo felt a sweat formed on top of her forehead and decided to brush it away. “Uhh…” Minjoo feels unsure of what she should say next now that she knows that the two people are waiting for her answer. Hyunjin asked her of giving her a lift first before practicing with Felix and here is Chaewon, her resident after class buddy and at the same time driver (well, most of the time). “Yeah.” She said towards Chaewon’s direction.


 

“Sorry Hyunjin,” Minjoo felt apologetic of not telling Hyunjin the main reason why she doesn’t want to accept his offer, not that she plans to accept it in the first place anyway. It’s not like her to easily join someone who recently just started to talk to her. “Chaewon already promised me to give me a ride.” She slightly lowered her head.


 

Hyunjin glanced at Chaewon and saw that intense cold stare he had always heard from the other students. It’s a signature look that could make anyone feel scared but weirdly, to Hyunjin, it looked like a warning instead of making him feel frightened. “No worries,” Hyunjin waved his hand. “There’s always a next time.” He commented. He badly wanted to wink but he decided against it because of the glare he’s receiving from the president.


 

Chaewon badly wanted to scoff at Hyunjin’s statement and it took every ounce of her to try not to. Chaewon stood there with the empty water bottle still on her hand as she waited for the guy to leave. For some reason, they just stood there having an unspoken staring contest with each other and she badly wanted to erase that annoying smirk out of his face but she couldn’t and she shouldn’t. She also disliked that fact that the guy is taller than him but she didn’t waver one bit.


 

“Ya, Hyunjin!” Felix threw an arm around his friend’s neck, bringing him down to his height, making his friend lose with the unspoken contest with his cousin. “Let’s go and practice now,” He energetically beamed at the group, a huge contrast to the tension in the air moments ago.


 

Minjoo felt thankful that Felix went by. She doesn’t know what to do with the heavy atmosphere that transpired earlier. It was light first and then suddenly tension was up in the air. And she has no idea why it suddenly went like that. “We’ll be going now,” Felix excused themselves, pulling Hyunjin away from his place.


 

Chaewon watched the two friends walk away from them. She saw Hyunjin look back and wave goodbye. In her peripheral, she saw Minjoo wave goodbye too. She couldn’t help but feel her heart sink.


 

“Y-you don’t really have to do that, you know?” Minjoo stuttered as she saw Chaewon kneel down and remove her heels for her. Her cheeks were starting to burn as she thought of the possibility that Chaewon already noticed that her feet were swollen. “I can do it myself,” she tried to push her friend away but the other didn’t even move an inch.


 

“Just let me do this for you,” Chaewon whispered. Her voice felt tired and final. Minjoo had heard them loud and clear, making her stop from resisting any longer.


 

Minjoo can feel her cheeks burning up as she looked at the older who gently slid the slip-ons on her feet. At that moment, she felt like she’s Cinderella who was just found by the prince by her glass shoe, only that in this version, the prince is a princess and the glass shoe is her slip-ons. Minjoo watched the older stand up and sit beside her.


 

There will always be moments of silence between them. Either when they’re busy on their phones, studying together, walking home with each other, and even now, as they look at the almost empty hall, they both get engulfed with stillness and as always, they can find peace and comfort with simply being by each other’s side.


 

Minjoo already had her things ready to go and as she looked at Chaewon, who is now sitting beside her, she wondered what would she ever do if Chaewon is not here. The student council president had always been there for her and vice versa. Minjoo had always thought of the possible good deed she could’ve done in her past life to be blessed with knowing a person like her. Whatever it may be, she’s beyond grateful to have Chaewon by her side.


 

“Let’s go?” Minjoo heard her best friend say.


 

Minjoo tilted her head in confusion, “Go where?” 


 

“Home,” Chaewon looked at the younger in amusement. “But before that let’s buy insoles for you first,” Chaewon took in mind first of Minjoo’s condition, and that she should remind her later of putting her feet on cold water to lessen the swelling.


 

“Come on, we still have a prom to attend tomorrow.”


 

---


 

“What do you mean your date is not around today?” 


 

Minjoo and Chaewon saw their teacher wearing a deadpan expression on her face, a look that only shows in the most frustrating and maddening of times. They both took out their phones from their purses and showed the message of their supposedly assigned partners for tonight’s event, saying that they won’t be able to make it. They both thought that at least they still have the initiative to tell them 20 minutes before the occasion starts. And thankfully, they’re both early birds and still had time to ask Seulgi regarding this matter.


 

Seulgi took a deep breathe, trying to calm herself down. She thinks that if only the principal listened to her plea long before then this wouldn’t happen to her babies. This leaves her with no other choice even when she knows that she’ll get an earful by Principal Bae as soon as next week starts. “This would be absurd but be each other’s partner,” she started. “Or find someone else who was also ditched if you don’t want to walk alone.”


 

“But what about the rule, Ms.?” Even though Chaewon’s ears perked up with the teacher’s solution, as the student council president, she has to obey rules but then she realizes that sometimes she plays with them since she knows it.


 

However, she can’t help but feel sorry for those who ditched tonight’s event.


 

Seulgi hissed, “Screw that. I’ll handle Principal Bae afterwards.”


 

Minjoo quickly glanced at her best friend and teasingly winked, and Chaewon, she just smirked.


 

“I’ll leave you two first and try to inform your other classmates about this,” the teacher hurriedly walk away only to turn to them again. “And prepare yourselves because it will start soon.”


 

As the two were left on their own devices, Chaewon quickly sent in a message at their group chat to inform the others who were still not around about what their instructor had just told them. Minjoo, who was standing beside Chaewon, also received it. They both read the chaotic messages that were starting to come in the group message.


 

“Are you going to find another partner? Or do you want to walk down the carpet alone?” Minjoo innocently asked. She not sure whether her best friend is fine with being each other’s partner or anything for that matter, she only wants to be assured that the older is fine with it.


 

Because sometimes she can’t help but feel like she’s a bother to the other or that Chaewon is getting sick of her almost always getting stuck with her.


 

Chaewon shook her head no as she playfully linked arms with the younger. She has no idea why Minjoo is like that again. She thought that spending lots of time with her would make it obvious that she’s fine with her presence. “None of the above,” she watched as her friend had confusion all over her face. “Let’s walk together,” Chaewon reassured.


 

Minjoo felt undeniably happy. “Sounds like a plan.”


 

They continued to talk about the most mundane of things and before they knew it, the event is now starting.


 

Students walked on the red carpet partner after partner and there were only two couples before them when Minjoo felt that maybe she could mess up even a simple walk.


 

Chaewon felt the person beside her tense up and so she tightly squeezed Minjoo’s hand for a brief moment, almost saying ‘don’t worry, I’m here’, before linking arms with her. It’s the only way she knows how to lessen the latter’s tendency to overthink right now.


 

Minjoo had gotten the unspoken message for moments after that, she had loosened up. Gone were the thoughts of her possibly falling as she stole a glance at the unsuspecting Chaewon.


 

Soon enough, it’s already their turn to grace the red carpet. 


 

Everyone had their attention towards the pair. Who wouldn’t? Their names alone are enough to spark rumors here and there, but to see them side by side walk through the red carpet is enough to make anyone feel their power. Through the other’s eyes, they couldn’t sense any form of discomfort nor nervousness from them, all they could see and feel from the two are confidence and elegance, a huge contrast against the previous couples. Some of the onlookers started to whisper about them for they’re the first duo that is both a girl (aside from the master of ceremonies). Some even started to bring up the rumor about them dating but just like in show business, none of them clarifies as to what the score really is, they simply gave everyone the benefit of the doubt.


 

The whole walking and posing for the cameras was simply short-lived and it made Minjoo feel grateful that her supposed to be partner wasn’t around, because if ever she really walked with him instead of Chaewon, the whole experience wouldn’t be as great as now for it will definitely be overshadowed by awkwardness. 


 

Minjoo sighed as they got to their table, “That wasn’t so bad.” 


 

They share a table with three of their classmates along with their partners from another room. The plates and utensils to be used are neatly placed on top of the table cloth. In the middle of the rounded table lies a vase with a beautiful flower arrangement and there are some candles too, making the venue feel a lot more romantic than it already is.


 

Minjoo quickly glanced at the enchantingly decorated hall. There were lights hanging from the ceiling, imitating that of the stars. It spread all over the room and in the front situated the blinding lights, those that seem like a spotlight. There were also some vases and bouquets situated around the place, making it more pretty to look at. The buffet was situated at one corner and there is also a photo booth at its opposite. The people who did all of this in just a day is simply amazing; she praises them inside her head.

 

Chaewon simply grinned at her as they both took a seat before saying, “You did great Minjoo.” 


 

Minjoo couldn’t hide the smile that was about to grace upon her lips while she can feel her cheeks burn but thankfully, with the hall’s lighting and her make-up, she’s sure that it’s not noticeable by anyone.


 

“What do you think of the venue?” Chaewon innocently asked her friend. She wanted to brag that she came up with the design and that spending a couple of sleepless night was worth it because the council, the principal, and even the president approved the design.


 

However, it did cost some fortune to have this sort of beautifications inside the hall. But at least it’s pretty as hell.


 

“I don’t want to believe that this is the same hall as yesterday,” Minjoo awed in wonder, completely astonished by the job well done by the students and teachers who did it. It was bland and uninteresting to look at yesterday when they practiced here; however, it took a complete three hundred and sixty turn for tonight’s event. “This place is pretty. I like it.”


 

“I’m glad you like it,” Chaewon replied. She can feel her pride and ego boost up with what she had heard. Even when the entire place is for all of them who studies at their university, she couldn’t help but to just feel elated knowing that Minjoo fancies it.


 

They momentarily got silent as they were waiting for the venue to get filled up by other students. While waiting, Minjoo saw the vice-president from afar who seemed like brisk walking with her light blue dress, looking stressed heading towards their direction.


 

She felt that it is related to the council and she immediately looked at their intertwined hands that were hanging between their seats. She didn’t want to let go anytime soon but as they say, there is no such thing as forever and that sometimes you have to let go.


 

Minjoo returned Lia’s greeting smile and continued to glance at her, who is currently whispering against Chaewon’s ear, clearly careful about the things that she was supposed to say to the student council president. Minjoo saw how Chaewon’s expressions changed from carefree to a troubled look. And with a single nod from the older, Minjoo watched as Lia took her steps away from them.


 

Chaewon turned to look at her partner, “I’m going to leave you here first, Min.” Chaewon didn’t want to but she has to. It’s her responsibility. She honestly thought that everything is fine now and that there are no more things left to do but she was wrong. Oh to be a president, she whines inside. “I just have to take care of the tables and food first.” 


 

When she saw and met Lia’s eyes moments ago, she already had a feeling that it meant of trouble. And it really was. There were some problems in terms of the tables, some weren’t seated yet, some has incomplete utensils, and the food seemed insufficient too. She was told to make some phone calls here and there, and also to make sure the students behave properly too while in their respective respectable dresses and tuxedos. 


 

“Okay,” Minjoo said barely audible.


 

“I’ll be back before you know it,” Chaewon reassured the younger before letting go of her hand and continuing on her way towards where Lia went.


 

It happened so fast that Minjoo didn’t have time to respond but all that she knew was that Chaewon squeezed her hand, yet again, before leaving her with the others. She watched as Chaewon get further away from her reach.


 

Minjoo sat there through the first half of the program without Chaewon. She became a little worried that maybe her friend wouldn’t make it to cotillion, however, while watching the video regarding the class prophecy, she felt someone sit beside her.


 

She saw a glimpse of an off-shoulder blue sparkly prom dress in her peripheral view and she’s sure that it’s Chaewon. She kept her attention on the screen in front of them by the time the presentation ended; it’s time for the cotillion.


 

The whole time they were dancing, Minjoo did her best just like whenever they practice. She did every twists, turns, and steps gracefully. However, this time, she didn’t look at Hyunjin’s eyes, which she usually does during their practices. She only looked at the bridge of his nose instead of really looking straight to his eyes whenever the move needs them to. And her partner noticed that but didn’t speak about it even when the dance ended and when he accompanied her to her table.


 

“Thank you,” Minjoo said to Hyunjin, as she took a seat.


 

Hyunjin courtly nodded and kept his hands on his pockets. “No problem,” he said before returning to his table.


 

Minjoo can feel that he was about to say something but she appreciated that he just went back to his own business.


 

Minjoo literally just blinked and the picture taking as well as dinner is already done. The food was tasty, she gives the caterer that but they still caused some trouble for Chaewon so maybe she’ll just give them half a point. The next thing on the agenda for tonight will be the most awaited dancing part. Well, at least that’s the part she has been anticipating ever since the news about prom broke out.


 

“You’re not going to dance?” Chaewon asked Minjoo.


 

Minjoo lightly smiled while looking at their other classmates who are already at the dance floor. ”I will but maybe a little later.”


 

“I’ll join you here first then.” Chaewon followed where the younger is looking at and there she already saw couples already swaying along with the rhythm of a sappy love song that’s playing right now.


 

Minjoo narrowed her eyes, “I thought you’re going to dance now.”


 

“I’ll dance a bit later,” Chaewon beamed. Minjoo had no other choice but to believe what her friend has just told her. 


 

They sat there looking at everyone, who is now having fun dancing with their friends and partners, while they just observe their surroundings and listen to the song.


 

However, their peace was short lived.


 

“Can I borrow Chaewon for a dance?” Felix interrupted Minjoo’s train of thought. She became baffled with the way Felix is asking her about a petty matter such as this.


 

“Why are you asking me this?” Minjoo furrowed her eyebrows in complete confusion. He shouldn’t have asked because Chaewon is not hers in the first place. “You should be asking her not me.”


 

“It doesn’t hurt asking her partner for some consent,” he shrugged.


 

“In that case, you may,” Minjoo threw a wink at Chaewon’s direction. She lightly giggled when Chaewon pouted because of what she did.


 

Chaewon arched a brow towards Felix and said, “Why did you think that I will dance with you?”


 

“Because I have some matters to tell you.” Felix whispered near Chaewon’s ear and when he straightened his back, he briefly glanced at the oblivious Minjoo before glancing back to Chaewon.


 

Chaewon got the message and stood up. “I’ll be back, Minjoo,” she turned to look at Minjoo and made a final glance before following Felix towards the crowded dance floor.


 

Minjoo watched them get lost and fade in the middle of the dancing space. And now, she’s all alone. The people she’s sharing tables with are now nowhere to be found. All that’s left on their table are their purses and her.


 

She didn’t mind looking at people dancing for now but she also wanted to dance with someone. She wanted to get out there and sway to the music but she knows that she should just wait first. It would happen too, she’s sure of it. She just needs to be patient.


 

Surprisingly, now that she’s alone, her mind travelled to what Nako had told her when they were talking about prom, crushes, and love while hanging out one time after class. She remembered that they both agreed that it would be a shame if they won’t take this opportunity to confess to someone or if they’ll waste a chance of having a dance with someone. 


 

It’s their last prom for goodness sake and what comes next will be college and university days. They both knew that it will be a hell lot harder to see familiar faces. They will be scattered and study at different universities and if there is a chance to say how they feel to someone, this is their shot at it.


 

Minjoo can clearly hear what Nako said to her that time. “All you need is to become a little braver.” Nako’s words were ringing on her ear as she continued to observe from the sidelines. She’s highly aware that it is really what she needs to do, to gain a spine.


 

She had already wasted and lost a lot of chances before and she plans not to throw this shot away.


 

She lost track on how many songs had passed before Chaewon returned to her side. She wanted to ask if there were other people who asked her after Felix but Minjoo didn’t talk and neither did the other. Both fell quiet and just let the silence engulf them on their side of the venue. To them both, this silence is deafening and is somehow killing them with their unspoken thoughts eating them up.


 

Chaewon was just about to speak and ask the younger to dance when a song that they’re too familiar was heard blasting through the speakers. They almost immediately shared knowing glances. Chaewon stood up and offered a hand in front of Minjoo. “May I?”


 

Minjoo slowly took her hand. She felt the softness of Chaewon's hand against her as they walked together with the older leading the way. And in the dance floor they were surrounded by couples, flings, and other friends. 


 

Chaewon usually cared about who would see her and what others think of her but now, she doesn’t mind the onlookers, it doesn’t matter what they’ll say nor think, all that she’s concerned right now is the person who’s all snuggled up on her neck hugging her, with her hands resting on top of the younger’s hips.


 

She couldn’t think of anything but the way Minjoo smelled of perfume, the way she feels so fragile on her hands right now, and of how she wanted time to stop others on their tracks while they just dance together in the middle of this crowd. And when she looked at her eyes, Chaewon realized just how tensed she was and now, she felt her shoulders become more relaxed.


 

“You’re beautiful,” Chaewon blurted out. There are just times when a person gets a little too honest and couldn’t help but let their mouth move faster than their minds. And she genuinely meant it. Minjoo had always been in her eyes. Even when they’re just lying around without make-up during their sleepovers, or when they’re sweaty from practice, or when making goofy faces, Chaewon had always thought that she is beautiful.


 

And she’s sure that Aphrodite would want to resign once she sees Minjoo in this make-up and silver dress with a split that ends mid-thigh. However, she likes it better when Minjoo wear minimal to none of make-up.


 

Minjoo couldn’t help but get flustered with the older’s compliment. It’s not like they always praise each other, more often than not, they share and throw insults at each other’s faces and that’s why this is one of the rare times she heard the older flatter her. “Thank you,” Minjoo said. “You’re gorgeous.” She sincerely commented.


 

She had always wanted to let Chaewon know that. Today, she has finally said those words that came from the bottom of her heart.


 

After saying that, they both became a little awkward however they continued to sway along with the song. Chaewon made Minjoo twirl a few times in between and now, they share gazes amidst the dancing lights.


 

“So,” Chaewon started. “Were you able to dance with the person you like tonight?”


 

Minjoo took a sharp breathe and smiled instead. Her heartbeat growing louder in her ear and she became afraid that it would become too loud that the older would be able to hear it too. She doesn’t want to answer that question yet. She wants to savor this moment first. It’s not like she’ll ever have a dance like this in the future. To dance with the person she secretly likes for all of these years is a moment she’ll forever cherish.


 

She admits that she tried to resist liking her. She used to deny the foreign feeling that was starting to grow in the past but she learnt that the more she struggles against it, the more it matures. Minjoo ended up having a huge damn crush on Chaewon and she does everything in her power just to hide it, like the spineless person that she is. 


 

But tonight, she swears that after a dance or two, she’ll finally have that courage, even when there are times Chaewon hints that she’s waiting for someone, a person that she doesn’t have any idea about.


 

“How about you?” Minjoo returned the question


 

Chaewon just smiled and also averted the topic onto another, “On second thought, are you having fun so far?”


 

“Of course,” Minjoo answered. Because I’m dancing with you. She continued inside her head but has no plans on saying it to the other yet. She still has some time to gather her courage first. Maybe she will have it when their dance comes to an end.


 

The two ended up singing along with the song while swaying their bodies together while wishing for it to not end yet, both having the same reason in mind. They shared gazes only the two of them knows in between tons of people. But for Minjoo, it’s just them in this moment. The song was muffled along with the other background noise. All that she could focus on is voice and eyes of the person she’s dancing with, the person who she’s willing to take a bullet for, the person she’s willing to take a risk, and the person who owns her heart.


 

And even when the song was done, they stayed there holding each other in their embrace, not wanting to let go yet, and waited for the next song to play. And thankfully, it’s almost as if luck was on their side for the song is also their cup of tea.


 

“About the question earlier—“


 

“About earlier—“


 

“You first—“


 

“You first—“


 

Silence.


 

And then laughter.


 

They giggled as they both realized that they are currently sharing the same brain cell.


 

“I insist that you go first, Min,” Chaewon said as she’s curious about what she wants to say right now. She thinks that what she’s supposed to say can just be saved up for later.


 

And Minjoo? She thinks that she finally got that courage and already knows what to say but she’s hoping that she won’t get tongue tied as she says those words.


 

“Are you sure you don’t want to go first?” Minjoo said in hopes to buying herself more time to gather courage. However, she saw Chaewon shook her head no. Well, that goes her chance leaving out the window.


 

Minjoo stared straight at Chaewon’s eyes and she saw the flickering lights of the venue, her reflection, the way her orbs were gentle and loving. “I just danced with the person I like.”


 

Chaewon took a few moments to process the information she just heard. She suddenly thought of the possibility that someone had probably taken the chance to have a dance with Minjoo while she was away. Felix danced with her just for the purpose of telling her that Hyunjin has plans to court and woo the person in her arms right now. She was told by her dear cousin that if she wouldn’t make a move soon, someone else would take the position of being by Minjoo’s side. Chaewon thanked and appreciated him for that advice, but she already had plans to do something today.


 

But it was delayed because Junho asked her to dance when she was about to return to their table to get Minjoo to dance with her. Chaewon couldn’t say no because Junho was a childhood friend of hers but to make it worse, she received a confession from Junho in the middle of their dance and she downright rejected him and told him that her heart already belongs to another. He told her that he knows that but at least he got his emotions off his system and he believes that he’ll be able to move on without regrets now. Chaewon admired his bravery.


 

That little event made Chaewon realize that she doesn’t mind if she’ll get rejected too, as long as she’ll be able to get the message through to the person she likes. For the whole time she liked Minjoo, she thought that maybe they don’t feel the same, that maybe she likes another, or maybe she’s just simply not her type, and she was also afraid rejection. The reason why she couldn’t bear to confess even when there were tons of chances in the past. She let them slide from her grasps and wasted lots of time pondering about what ifs instead of really making a move and communicating with the other.


 

But now, hearing the younger’s statement, her lips involuntarily curved upwards. “Mine is still in my arms.”


 

Minjoo couldn’t believe it. Seconds after, she was filled with euphoria. Hearing the fact that they both have mutual feelings, maybe the rumors spreading before weren’t all wrong after all because maybe now, they are indeed going out.


 

They continued to sway, twirl, turn, and dance some more, spending more time in each other’s presence, feeling each other’s heartbeat and warmth, and getting lost in the deep set of eyes of the other. Chaewon suddenly thought of an idea as they dance together and she whispered it to Minjoo, who in turn looked at her with wide eyes and lightly slapped her arm, utterly flabbergasted that the student council president has plans to do it.


 

“What about your responsibilities tonight?” Minjoo’s voice was full of worry. She honestly didn’t think that Chaewon have a side like this. It’s an absurd thought, to leave and not finish the event here and continue the night somewhere else away from prying eyes, somewhere private yet can still see the city and the river that is also overlooked by this aesthetic hall. 


 

She honestly wanted to finish the prom like what she had originally envisioned but this suggestion of Chaewon is an interesting idea. There’s the thrill. And she loves adventures just for the thrill of it.


 

Chaewon shrugged, “Lia can handle it.” She’s aware that she’ll get an earful from the others and maybe even have a word with the principal but for now, she wants to be a little selfish. She kept on putting everyone’s concerns before herself and now, she just wants to enjoy the rest of the night with Minjoo on a place that is serene and also under the stars.


 

“Are you sure about this? Won’t they get curious with your whereabouts?” Minjoo asked spontaneously. She doesn’t want them to get in trouble in anyway, specially that Chaewon is the student council president for goodness’ sake.


 

However, she still let Chaewon hold her hand tightly and lead the way. 


 

“They won’t,” Chaewon reassures the other. “Don’t be so anxious. I’m with you.”


 

Minjoo had no other choice but to just believe her as they move through the crowd. She doesn’t know if they were just lucky that no teacher nor guard that was by their exit route or if Chaewon already planned this beforehand. But either way, this is exhilarating, to go against rules.


 

They calmly head towards the parking lot where Chaewon’s car awaited for them to be utilized as a getaway car tonight, feeling triumphant that they got out of the venue.

 

 

“What about our purses?” Minjoo suddenly thought that they didn’t return to their table to get it. She still has something valuable in there, like the polaroid picture they took back in middle school was inside it.


 

“I already told Felix about it.” Chaewon told him that once she gets to dance with Minjoo, she’ll probably get out of this place with her if all goes well, and that he should take the things they left behind and leave it at her house later when prom is finished. He had no choice but to agree because he also used Chaewon as a wingman before. This is basically him returning a favor.


 

Minjoo was momentarily baffled. “You guys are close?” She had always observed that the two were rather friendly with each other but now, she’s just simply lost for she never really asked questions before to Chaewon regarding some matters that she think is personal.


 

“He’s my cousin.” Chaewon opened the shotgun door. Minjoo went in and Chaewon moved to the driver’s seat. She brought the car go to life and made their way on the place that she knows.


 

“Oh, that explains why you two look alike.” Minjoo was still in shock of the data she learned just now. She also felt a little sick thinking that there were times she gets jealous of Felix but lo and behold, he’s her cousin.


 

Chaewon shook her head in disbelief. “You aren’t listening when they talk about us being relatives and it shows.” They had been the talk of the campus for some time before and Minjoo not knowing it is probably the most Minjoo thing that happened tonight.


 

Minjoo is aware that there are still a lot of things that she’s about to learn regarding Chaewon and vice versa. She doesn’t mind to make today as the start of the many days she’ll spend knowing and loving Chaewon. And also, the night is still young for the two of them. They’re not in a rush for anything after all. They have all the time in the world.


 

---


 

Moments ago…


 

“Minjoo-unnie and Chaewon-unnie looks good together.” 


 

“Yeah.”


 

They simultaneously sighed as they look at the dance floor full of couples.


 

Suddenly, her view was obstructed. She looked at the culprit and saw that she was lending her hand towards her.


 

“Can we have this dance, Miss Jang Wonyoung?”