Let’s not fall in love

Let’s not fall in love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What are we?” 

 

He remembers, the first time Jihyo asked that was when he took her to see a fireworks show. Jongkook gave her a smooch as the show coming to an end, hot and heavy, although he wasn’t supposed to but his judgment clouded by how beautiful the sky was and how even more beautiful Jihyo was in his arms. 

 

Jongkook considered not answering, letting her question to disappear along with the wind, taken by the breeze maybe into the bottom of the river, forever staying there, but her brown eyes were wide and hopeful, burning with feelings he wanted so much to avoid.

 

“We are... happy just the way we are right now, right?”

 

Hurt and disappointment flashed through her eyes, but she accepted it willingly. 

 

The second time she asked, they just finished having dinner under the stars. He was as equally unprepared as the first time, and the answer remained pretty much the same, but lacing with frustration.

 

“Don’t ask me— I can’t give you answers.”

 

She accepted it, still, even after he told her to not put much hope in him. 

 

The third time, however, not so much.

 

Jongkook only sighed, very plainly annoyed by that question, but Jihyo was desperate so she yanked his arm, forcing him to look at her, to pay attention to her, to at least answer her. 

 

“Oppa, what are we?”

 

“Stop it, Jihyo-“

 

“—what are we?!”

 

“We are nothing!” He snatched his arm away and she gasped, hard. “Is that what you want to hear?! We, you and I— we are nothing! Happy now?!” 

 

Why must Jihyo asked that question again that day? 

 

They were having fun at amusement park before that— riding rides, getting on the carousel, sharing a kiss on top of Ferris wheel, smiling, laughing— why did she had to ruin the moment?! 

 

What are we, she asked?

 

Oh, Jongkook wants to laugh. He wants to laugh to her ing face so bad.

 

What’s so important in whatever they were? What’s so great in knowing that, in declaring that? What’s even the use of putting label between them?

 

“Let’s not make promises—we don’t even know if tomorrow ever comes.” 

 

He told her again, some other night, with her on the bed and him at the very end of it and between them, was a distance greater than the size of his king bed where they made love earlier.

 

Jongkook walks along the pavement, pushing anyone and anything out of his way with his broad figures, not listening, not looking, not apologising, not caring at all at the yelping and the cursing of people he bumps into. 

 

His small eyes lock on the arms-linked couple across the street, his head pounding, his heart constricting.

 

Taking out his phone, his thumb moves on its own to dial Jihyo’s number. 

 

He sees it with his own eyes, the couple across the street get distracted as the girl stops to take out her phone too. Oh, he witnesses it, the way the girl loses her smile when she sees the name on the screen and without any doubts, shoves her phone back to her bag, before snaking her tiny arms around the guy beside her. Way too happily, he might add. 

 

On his ear, he hears, “this is the voicemail box of the number——— please leave the mes

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter