Gummy Bear Love

Gummy Bear Love

The beginning of autumn has set in with its breeze a little chaotic and strong but nothing deters the happy mood and the continuous humming of the boy in a pair of loose shorts and a SpongeBob tee, who is applying some face cream while dancing on his toes in front of his full-length mirror. His cat, Iye, scuttles around his feet, fascinated by the colourful stripes on his ankle socks and his wiggly toes that are dancing in it. His phone keeps beeping with texts along with the often calls that are obviously being unanswered, but Kwon Ji Yong couldn’t care less at the moment especially since he is in the process of unravelling his brand new Kohl liner which he bought last month and decided to open it only on a special occasion. And, oh, isn’t today the most special occasion for him!

“Damn…look at how this makes my eyes pop!” He comments, his narcissism justified, because hey, the birthday boy can compliment his own damn self.

Stepping a little away from the mirror, he assesses himself from top to bottom and then again from bottom to top, only to let out a gorgeous gummy grin in approval at what he sees. Putting on his favourite Nikes that were placed by the side of his bed, he scoops Iye in his arms and walks back to the mirror.

“Now, who would say I’m 32, sweetie? I can easily pass off as 24 or 25, can’t I?” Nuzzling his nose on Iye’s back, he smiles at their reflection and kisses the crown of his head in contentment. Sure, yes, Ji Yong had been freaking out about turning 32 for about 2 months but the sight of him now and how he feels about today have squashed any pending worries of almost nearing his mid-30s.

Nearing his mid-30s and currently single.

No, don’t. He cannot afford his usual worries to plague his day!

Putting Iye down, who scampers away to his comfy tower in the bedroom, Ji Yong collects his now silent phone, car keys, and wallet, peeking a glance at his phone. There are quite a lot of messages from his friends and about a few calls from his closest ones. Touched by the love he is receiving, he decides to get back to the ones who called him while he is in the car and deal with the rest towards the end of the day.

Don’t get Ji Yong wrong. He is indeed flattered by the love but he is very accustomed to spending his birthdays on his own and being lazy with Iye. Staying away from his phone until the end of the day is what he usually does while he binge-watches movies and shows with some pizza and beer or whatever else he feels like. Since today is a weekday, he knows his closest friends along with his family will celebrate his birthday on the coming weekend, and, yes, he did answer to his family’s greetings first. This has just been his routine ever since he turned 30 and he loves it a lot. Hence, his immense joy for the day!

Talking about his routine, another thing he does on his birthday is going to the local supermarket in the morning. He buys whatever he needs for the day and for the weeks after that, and along with that, he buys himself 8 Haribo Goldbears packets. Now these 8 Haribo Goldbears packets are a gift to himself and it has been a tradition of his since his childhood. He has always loved the gummy bears and since his parents were not very affluent back then, they thought it best to gift him what he loved the most and what better gift than a bounty of favourite candy for a boy who was not allowed to eat too much candy for the betterment of his teeth! So Ji Yong treasured the gifts every birthday because that was the only day he took the privilege of receiving 8 Haribo Goldbears packets. And why 8? Well, let’s just say Ji Yong has a thing for numerology and that the number is too omnipresent in his life, causing him to grow a for the number.

Even though Ji Yong is 32 today, the young child within him still thrives and he cannot wait to lay hands on those 8 special packets of Haribo Goldbears! Just the very thought of purchasing them and stocking up his candy cabinet makes him want to head out of the door.

“Iye-ah, appa will be leaving now, okay? Be a good boy and don’t cause a mess. I’ll buy your favourite foods but if appa comes back to see the house in a mess, I won’t hesitate to give your favourites to some other cat, okay?” He coos from the entrance to the bedroom with Iye only staring at him in response. Waving a bye and blowing a kiss his way, Iye struts back to his tower while Ji Yong happily skips to the main door and heads out of his apartment.

“Time to make those calls and jam to some Rihanna!” He says, cheerily, as he revs the engine and drives out onto the main road.

+ + +

The supermarket is quite empty except for about a maximum of 10 people shopping, which is quite expected for a weekday like today, but the bustling still prevails over the winds from outside and the classical music playing through the speakers of the supermarket. Ji Yong has placed in his cart everything that he needs, keeping his Haribos for later. Skating a little into the aisle for candies and chocolates, his eyes gleam brighter on spotting the narrow stack of Haribos. Coming to a halt, he squats to level himself to the rack of his favourites and lets out an excited grin.

“Looks like a limited stock. Good thing I came here on time.” Singing to himself, he begins taking out packet by packet off of the rack.

“Four…five…six…seven…” His whispered counts pause on spotting a tiny chubby hand holding the last packet on the rack. Eyes levelling with the cutest innocent browns, he smiles at the tiny girl dressed in a pretty floral dress with the most adorable ponytails.

“Eight.” She voices out, causing Ji Yong’s smile to widen. He has always been fond of kids and this child is way too adorable.

“Yes, eight. Thank you—” He is about to reach out to take the packet from her, thinking she was offering it to him, only for him to see her hug it to her chest.

“But it’s mine…” She meekly states, eyes glancing down, and Ji Yong does not have the heart to say anything more. He cannot possibly tell her that he was here first or that it is his or that she is breaking his tradition now, can he?

Sighing, he nods in response and gently pats her head, which makes her glance at him. There is doubt in her eyes as if she knows the packet truly is not hers but Ji Yong does not want her to think like that so he smiles at her sweetly.

“Yes, it’s your—”

The light rolling of a cart’s tyres stopping by the girl’s side interrupts Ji Yong as she is scooped into the arms of another. Ji Yong stands up only to find himself transfixed at the sight of the man holding the girl in his arms.

“I’ve been looking for you, Kiara. You said you wouldn’t run away.” The man’s soothing voice voices out his concern to the girl in his arms and she deftly responds by kissing his cheek, a trick she definitely uses to pacify, and waves the packet of Haribo in her tiny chubby hand.

“But I wanted Haribo!” She whines, making the man glance at her packet and then at the rack and then at Ji Yong’s cart and then at Ji Yong and it is as if the both of them are lost in each other’s gaze as they stare at the other. Clearing his throat, the man had taken notice of the number of packets in Ji Yong’s cart and knew the packet in his niece’s hand was not meant for her to take.

Shaking his head in amusement, he looks back at Ji Yong and the other shyly smiles at him.

“Are you sure you want to give this to her?” He asks.

Flustered, Ji Yong waves his hands in the air, especially because he does not want to seem like a person depriving a child from something they love that too in front of this man who might be the father of this child. He sighs internally at the thought of not having a chance with the man in front of him because he won’t be lying when he says that that man is the most gorgeous person he has ever laid his eyes on and ever having a chance with him, especially on a day like today, truly would be an elite privilege.

And, no, Ji Yong is not entirely talking out of desperation. The man has seen all kinds of beauty and this man in front of him is beyond any compare.

“Yes, your daughter can have it.” He rambles out, softly, his cheeks tingeing pink on realising what he has just said. It might be the truth, anyway, so Ji Yong tries not regretting his words all that much only to watch the man’s face brighten up as he chuckles and the girl too is grinning at Ji Yong.

“First of all, you need to thank him, you naughty child.” He cutely advices her; hoisting her up a little more comfortably. She giggles and turns towards Ji Yong once again.

“Thank you, ahjussi!” She chirps, all her pearly-whites showing, making Ji Yong rub his nape as he chuckles at her. He has hardly ever been called “Ahjussi” before and hearing her call him that makes him really realise how much into the 30s club he already is.

“Now that’s a good girl.” The man pecks her forehead as she clings around his neck. Glancing at Ji Yong, he smiles at him and clears his throat as he finds his cheeks getting warmer by the second. It is so hard to maintain eye contact with those beautiful Kohl rimmed eyes that he feels his breath stuttering every time he glances at the ethereal raven-haired man standing next to his cart.

“I’m not her father.” He begins, trying to maintain good eye contact with the man whose shoulders seem to visibly become less stiff the more he tells him.

“She’s my 5 years old niece; my sister’s daughter, and I take care of her whenever my parents are busy and I’m free since her parents are both working.”

Relief washes over Ji Yong and he tries his damnedest to suppress the surging hope that seeps through him. ‘Just because he is not the father does not mean he’s single or that he’d be interested in you.’ His conscience reminds him, blatantly, and he lets out a kind smile at the man.

“Ah, I’m sorry I misunderstood.” He clarifies, making the man wave away his apology in all amusement.

“You aren’t the first person who has misunderstood and…Kiara, I’m going to put you down. You’re too heavy, you gummy bear.” Playfully tsking at the whining and giggling child, he puts her down and she instantly grabs his hand. Patting her head with his free hand, he looks back at Ji Yong and his cart and a thought suddenly strikes him.

“I’m sure you needed this packet too. Let me ask one of the staff if there’re any more of these left—” He offers, only to have a flustered Ji Yong interrupt him.

“Ah, no, it’s okay, really. They usually restock on Wednesdays and Thursdays so those were the last of the batch.” He explains, softly, and the man nods his head in understanding but quirks his eyebrow as his lips twitch into an intrigued smile.

“I’m assuming you’re a regular here?”

Ji Yong blushes at his correct assumption because, no, he does not come here for the Haribo Goldbears, but he does have his usual trips for ramen, cat food, cakes, cookies, wafers, or the occasional soda. This supermarket is the closest to his apartment and since it is small and cosy, he enjoys his time here. Truth be told, he can even say that it almost feels like home.

“Well, I do come here often…” He trails, finding his breath hitching at the way the man is looking at him with utmost intrigue and fondness. Ji Yong is not imagining things, is he? It has indeed been a while since he has dated and, yes, him being 32 is doing things to him, but he knows how to decipher a look when he sees one, doesn’t he?

And, indeed, how right his gut feelings are.

Cheeks tingeing a beautiful blooming crimson, the man runs his fingers through his thick mop of raven-coloured hair, while looking everywhere but at Ji Yong and Ji Yong honestly finds his heart beats too exhausting what with it speeding beyond normal at the sight of this handsome man in his loose Prussian blue tee and denim jeans and at the thought of what he is about to say.

“Um, I’d like to introduce myself. I’m Lee Seung Hyun, 29, and an owner of a growing diner. I’m single and childless—”

Ji Yong laughs; his gummy grin the prettiest sight in Seung Hyun’s eyes as he too grins at seeing the other well-aware of where this is going.

“—and I’m not usually this daring but I think I will have serious regrets if I don’t at least try to ask you out on a date. So, will you go on a date with me?” He asks, his eyes desperately searching Ji Yong’s hazels. Ji Yong cannot possibly describe how incredibly overjoyed he is at the moment without appearing crazy or deliriously happy and if anyone had told him that he would be getting such a surprise on his 32nd birthday, he would have laughed in their faces and informed them that dreams were meant for children.

Especially such fairytale ones.

Trying to calm his racing heart and flaming cheeks, he looks at Seung Hyun resolutely before responding with an introduction of his own.

“Hi, Seung Hyun. I’m Kwon Ji Yong, 32, and an owner of a growing fashion boutique. I’m single and childless and I’m not usually this daring but I too think I will have serious regrets if I don’t say yes. So, yes, I will go on a date with you.” He responds, and their grins scream the excitement that shines in their eyes. The both of them cannot believe this is happening.

“Wow…” Seung Hyun trails, fingers messing with his hair as they continue sharing giddy grins until it becomes too much for Ji Yong and he has to bashfully look down at his shoe that he is unconsciously twirling around. Seung Hyun cannot contain the bliss that he is feeling at the sight of someone like Ji Yong who is too beautiful for words with just enough cuteness that he decides to take the initiative to take the conversation further.

“So when would you like to go on a date, hyung?” He asks, politely, only for Ji Yong to let out a giggle.

“Call me Ji Yong and how about now, if you’re free?” He blurts out, all thoughts of Iye and his usual routine of spending his birthday flying out of the window.

Surprised at his answer, Seung Hyun glances at his niece who is lost in her own world, and then looks back at an expectant Ji Yong.

“Well, I’m free but Kiara will have to tag along with us, if you don’t mind? I’ve to take care of her until the evening, you see.” He responds, nervously, sincerely hoping that does not make Ji Yong turn him down. Squatting to Kiara’s height, who smiles at him openly, Ji Yong softly pinches her cheek as he smiles back at her.

“I’m all good with Kiara as long as she does not take any more Haribos from me.” He pouts cutely; making Seung Hyun laugh and Kiara shares a shy grin.

“I feel there’s a story about these Haribos.” He comments as Ji Yong and he push their carts to the check-out counter. Kiara is nestled comfortably in Seung Hyun’s cart, occasionally pointing at various items that catch her eye, but there is nothing Ji Yong is focusing on more than the mirth and fondness shining in Seung Hyun’s eyes as he looks at him.

“There indeed is.” He winks and lets out an amused smile.

No, Ji Yong does not let him know it is his birthday. He would like to see how Seung Hyun is without any additional special treatment offered to Ji Yong just because it is his birthday.

And, yes, Ji Yong has broken all his usual birthday habits;

First, his Haribo Goldbears.

And now how he is going to spend the rest of his day.

Smiling to himself, he glances at the back of the man who is helping him place his shopping bags in his car’s bonnet and the feeling of regret is absolutely nonexistent. Instead, all he is feeling is an all-time high and the jitters of something new.

Maybe, Lee Seung Hyun is the change he has needed from the mundane.

Maybe, Lee Seung Hyun is his refreshing start for all the coming years.

+ + +

Ji Yong watches Seung Hyun’s car park at the slot next to his, and all of a sudden, as though it never struck him before, he is now strongly aware of how different this birthday is coming to be. All of a sudden, he is very much aware about the fact that he is about to go on a date with an absolutely handsome and seemingly sweet stranger and the very thought causes a stream of butterflies to erupt in his belly with bites of anxious jitters that top it all. This is so unlike him and his usual habits that he needs to take in a much needed breath of air as he watches Seung Hyun step out of his car; smiling his way, making his breath to stutter and heart to hammer in all ways that Ji Yong considers heavenly, and so he smiles back and unbuckles his seatbelt. Stepping out of the car, he watches Seung Hyun open the door for his niece, who happily clambers out and waves cheerfully at Ji Yong on sighting him.

“Are you sure you’re comfortable with this place?” Seung Hyun asks him as they head towards the entrance of the diner they had decided to brunch at.

“Yeah, I’ve been here before.” He replies, a blush forming on his cheeks at Seung Hyun’s kind smile. Opening the door for both Ji Yong and his niece, causing Ji Yong’s blush to redden, they head to a booth that Kiara picks out. She happily nestles on her seat by the window and hands Ji Yong the menu placed on the table. Seung Hyun, who is sitting by her side and opposite Ji Yong, pats her head and she grins sweetly at the both of them.

“Don’t you want a menu card too?” Ji Yong asks her, to which she adorably shakes her head no.

“This is my favourite diner! Whenever woesamchon takes care of me, he always brings me here because this place is my favourite! The food is so tasty!” She squeals, making Ji Yong chuckle at her cuteness.

“Is that so? What do you like here?” He prods, curiously, unaware of how fondly Seung Hyun is looking at him and at their interaction. With her eyes sparkling in excitement, she leans closer to babble about all that she likes at the diner and while she is on her spree, Seung Hyun gestures to the waitress to give them about 2 minutes more before they can place their orders. This diner that rests near the coast is usually packed during the weekends but since today is a weekday, the few diners here get to lay back and enjoy the relative peace and quiet that surround them. When Seung Hyun’s eyes and ears train back to the two people at his table, he wonders how truly different today is and how much he’d like to experience this more.

“—and I love the French Toast here! Eomma has told me not to eat the caramel cookies too much because they’ll spoil my teeth but woesamchon gets me cookies when eomma’s not around.” Muffling her giggles in her palm, Ji Yong shares a laugh with Seung Hyun and the both of them are caught in a gaze with their eyes too alight than they have ever been and their beings enveloped in a familiarity that does not seem so new.

Mirroring similar smiles, Ji Yong shifts his attention to Kiara but is interrupted by the waitress who asks for their orders. Puzzled since he did not think his order through, Seung Hyun chuckles at the situation and decides for him as he asks for 3 regulars.

“Now you’ll know what princess Kiara’s favourite is!” Seung Hyun playfully winks while ruffling Kiara’s hair, who grasps a hold of Ji Yong’s pinkie.

“Yes! And you need to tell me if you like it!” She gushes, her innocent browns shining with hope. Heart melting at the sight, Ji Yong softly pinches her cheek and nods at her.

Since Ji Yong only had cereals in the morning, the brunch he is having now is as scrumptious as can be and that very fact makes Kiara the happiest person at the table. There are giggles and laughter as Kiara tells them stories through mouthfuls and somewhere in the middle of it all, Ji Yong’s fingers resting on the table brush against Seung Hyun’s, and with bashful smiles and fluttering hearts, their fingers inch closer each time it happens, only to gently clasp together from time to time in the simplest of ways. With Seung Hyun’s warm hand in his, Ji Yong tells them stories about Iye and his funny episodes, causing laughter to boom at their table and Ji Yong swears he wants to hear Seung Hyun laugh more and more. Just when Kiara is about to coo at one of the many pictures of Iye on Ji Yong’s phone, Seung Hyun’s phone rings and he excuses himself to answer it.

“Han Na?” He begins, curious eyes shifting to Kiara, who is also paying close attention to the call.

“Yeah, we’re at the diner. Why?”

“Ohhhh…is that so? I-I’m on a date as well…” Shyly locking gazes with Ji Yong, who cutely grins at him, he laughs a little at the ceaseless questions and squeals at the other end. Ji Yong too quirks an interested eyebrow at him as Seung Hyun tries shushing the person at the other end.

“You’ll see him anyway when you come here, jeez!” Playfully rolling his eyes, he pouts at a frowning Kiara as she clearly understands what is about to happen.

“Yeah, yeah, okay, now come here quick. Bye.” Hanging up, he glances at Ji Yong and grasps his hand once again, absolutely loving his slender fingers clasping his hand and the blush that tinges his cheeks.

“That was my sister.” He lets him know, causing Ji Yong’s mouth to form an ‘o’ in understanding.

“Ki, it was your eomma’s boss’s birthday today so she got to leave early from work…” He trails, his voice unsure, and both Ji Yong and him watch Kiara looking downcast as she swings her legs in disappointment.

“But I want to stay…” With a low whine, she makes puppy-eyes at Ji Yong, who softens at her expression. Grasping her tiny chubby hand in his free one, he softly caresses the back of her hand as he gives her a reassuring smile.

“I want you to stay too, Kiara, and—” He gently begins, only to get interrupted by Seung Hyun’s soft voice.

“And you’ll get to hangout with us again.” He states, his affirmation causing Ji Yong’s feelings to blossom all the more, making him grasp his hand tighter in that assurance. Chirping up at the news, Kiara excitedly claps her hands together and jumps a little on her seat which makes both Ji Yong and Seung Hyun to let out a chuckle.

“Really?! Will I get to see Iye too?!” She requests, genuine enthusiasm in her stance, to which Ji Yong giggles and nods yes.

With Kiara whooping aloud, Ji Yong shares a meaningful look with Seung Hyun before he remembers to check up on Iye as he unlocks his silent phone and texts his best friend, Young Bae, who he had asked to take care of Iye until he gets back.

“Isn’t Iye all alone at home, though?” Seung Hyun’s question gets Ji Yong to smile at the coincidence as he locks his phone and places it back on the table.

“Yeah, my best friend is taking care of him.” He replies, placing his part of the bill in the bill folder that the waitress had placed.

“And that’s not a hassle?” Seung Hyun prods; quirking an amused eyebrow at Ji Yong’s sly grin.

“Well, my Iye can be quite a diva but I guess you get good repayment when you set-up your best friend with the one for him.” Playfully winking at Seung Hyun, who shakes his head at Ji Yong’s thinking as he chortles, Ji Yong asks for his number and he gives him his too. Today is a first for so many things in Ji Yong’s life and the beauty and anticipation of it all have his insides melting as he saves Seung Hyun’s name with a heart next to it.

He has fallen harder than he expected and, no, he does not wish to resurrect.

“And she’s here.” Seung Hyun chimes in, ruffling the hair of a slightly dejected Kiara. Getting up, Ji Yong stands next to Seung Hyun, the both of them smiling shyly at the other, only for them to let out a startled squeak when a jumpy Kiara gets in between them and grasps both their hands in her tiny chubby ones.

“Let’s go, then!” She squeals, swinging their hands as they smile brightly at her cuteness and Ji Yong bathes in the acceptance of this lovely 5 years old who he knows is very important to Seung Hyun. Sensing eyes on him, he locks his gaze with Seung Hyun’s warm deep browns that are telling him how very happy and content he is feeling at this moment and Ji Yong has not related to any other feeling better.

As they near the parking lot, Kiara leaves their hands and giggles her way to her mother who is resting her back against Seung Hyun’s car, and on hearing her daughter and spotting them approaching, she opens her arms wide and hoists her daughter up. Ji Yong notices the many similarities in their features and the strong vibe of a loving family hits him when he watches Seung Hyun hug his sister and pat Kiara’s head one last time before taking Ji Yong’s hand in his, never breaking eye contact with him. He has the most beautiful smile on his face, making Ji Yong feel beyond special and precious, and he shyly glances at Han Na who is watching them with the proudest grin.

“I’d think the both of you have been dating for a while, you know?” She begins, a welcoming smile aimed at Ji Yong’s way after she playfully winks at Seung Hyun.

Blushing deeper at that, Ji Yong offers his hand for a handshake to which Han Na giggles and surprises him as she hugs him sweetly.

“Well, it’s really nice to see you and I hope I haven’t made you feel too awkward. I’m Lee Han Na, his sister.” She introduces.

“Hi, I’m Kwon Ji Yong.” Ji Yong responds, softly.

Her smile grows wider as she watches the way her brother looks at Ji Yong and she knows just what a beautiful journey theirs is going to be.

“I’m glad I met you and I’m sorry it’s under such circumstances but I hope having Kiara around wasn’t too much of a hassle?”

Ji Yong waves his hands in the air to negate that and she chuckles at his cuteness.

“Kiara has come to really like her Haribo ahjussi. Isn’t that right, Ji Yong-ah?” Seung Hyun’s tease earns him a slight jab to his side by Ji Yong’s elbow as he gives him the stink-eye, which only makes Seung Hyun cackle a little and Han Na watches their playfulness in genuine interest and contentment.

“I can’t wait to get to know you and the beginning of all this but I also don’t want to eat up more of your time so I’m going to take your car and go home. Okay, oppa?” Hearing that, Kiara runs to her woesamchon’s car while Seung Hyun stares at Han Na in puzzlement.

“My car? Then what about me?”

Catching the spark in Han Na’s eye aimed his way; Ji Yong waves his car keys in Seung Hyun’s face.

“I’ll drive you home.” He comments, staring at Seung Hyun amusedly as realisation shows on his face.

“But I don’t want to go home already…” Letting out a low whine that makes Ji Yong giggle and reflexively peck his cheek, causing the both of their cheeks to crimson and hearts to flutter at the suddenness and bliss of the act, Ji Yong leans back and takes a hold of his hand.

“We aren’t going home anytime soon, I promise.” He says, making Seung Hyun smile and look back at his sister who is grinning at them openly.

“Alright, then. I’m trusting you with my car and I’ll come to collect it later.” Saying so, Han Na gives him a mock salute in response as they head to their cars and wave enthusiastically at an excited Kiara who waves and smiles at them through her window, while pulling out.

Glancing at Ji Yong who revs his car’s engine and looks back at him before pulling out, Seung Hyun places his hand on his on the gear, their faces alight with happiness and bright hopes for the long road ahead and just about everything else.

“A long drive ahead of us?” Seung Hyun asks, leaning back comfortably.

“A long drive indeed.” And the sight of the man he is coming to really like by his right is all it takes for Ji Yong to pull out, turn on the stereo, and let his heart pound through the breeze that splays through their hair and buzzes their conversations, as they keep their fingers interlocked throughout the journey.

+ + +

The subtle grey clouds that were tingeing the sky are now whisked away by hues of amber and dusky orange as the sun gets ready to set and the two people nestled comfortably, as they cuddle into each other in the car’s bonnet while watching the view from above a short cliff, lay back on the folded seats as they chatter and laugh in the calming quietness surrounding them while eating gummy bears and other snacks that Ji Yong had bought.

They drove for hours on end learning more about the other and laughing their way through that Seung Hyun has now begun calling Ji Yong “Wannabe Rihanna” while Ji Yong calls him “Boisterous panda” and, yes, Seung Hyun will always and forever call him “Haribo ahjussi” no matter how much it makes Ji Yong whine and sulk.

“So…Haribo ahjussi—” Seung Hyun teases, earning a “Yah!” and a swat on his arm from Ji Yong who is nestled in his arms.

“—what is your story about these Haribos?” Nuzzling their noses together, causing Ji Yong to giggle and get flustered, Ji Yong pulls away to look into Seung Hyun’s eyes and decides to tell him as they look back at him with curious interest.

“Okay, so you must promise you won’t laugh or make fun of it. At all.” He instructs him, stance completely serious, but he finds it hard to fight back the grin and the butterflies in his tummy as he reads the incoming humour on Seung Hyun’s face.

Of course he would find it funny.

Of course he will laugh.

Giving up hoping for a serious reaction, he looks into his amused eyes and tells him.

“—and that’s a birthday tradition of mine. 8 Haribo Goldbears for myself.” He finishes, and catches the look of realisation dawning on him.

No, he is not laughing.

Sure, his lips are slightly lilted upwards but Seung Hyun looks startled right now and Ji Yong grins at him in assurance.

“You…it’s your birthday today?” His voice is soft as he holds Ji Yong closer to him, heart trembling at the significance of this day and the fact that Ji Yong chose to spend it with him.

Nodding his head, Ji Yong caresses his cheek and ruffles the top of his hair.

“This is the best birthday I’ve ever had and I’m grateful to have met you, Seung Hyun-ah.” He confesses, sincerely, making Seung Hyun’s eyes to sparkle as he leans in and kisses Ji Yong’s forehead.

“I’m blessed that you chose to spend it with me and I honestly consider myself special. Happy Birthday, Ji Yong-ah!” He replies, holding Ji Yong’s hands in his while caressing the back of them.

“Of course you must consider yourself special. I’m damn special, okay? I—” Cutting his narcissistic rambling, Seung Hyun cups his cheek and kisses him, making Ji Yong let out a gasp as he falls into the sensation of how good it feels to be with him, tangling his hands in his hair to bring him closer. Pecking his soft lips one last time, Seung Hyun rests his head against his, waiting for his man to open his beautiful hazel eyes.

And, oh, does he get lost in them when he does.

Lost in the trance of it all and surging with the strongest of feelings, Seung Hyun picks up a gummy bear and offers it to a flustered and an amused Ji Yong who quirks an eyebrow at him.

“I think this gummy bear brought us together and, again, I do not want to let go of an opportunity. So, Kwon Ji Yong aka my Haribo ahjussi aka my Wannabe Rihanna, will you be my boyfriend? Will you go out with me?”

Ji Yong laughs out loud as he takes the gummy bear out of his fingers and munches on it, all the while making Seung Hyun watch him gingerly with an expectant smile on his face.

“So…is that a yes?” He reconfirms.

Only if Seung Hyun knew it will always be a bazillion yeses from Ji Yong, so to let him know in the simplest of ways, Ji Yong swoops in for a kiss, tangling his arms around Seung Hyun’s neck as he nods happily; happier than he has ever been.

“Yes, yes, it is!”

+ + +

3 months and 24 days later aka December 12th

“Aaaawwwweeee!” Ji Yong squeals as Seung Hyun speeds them into the aisle of noodles and pasta. Crossing his feet and bringing them closer to his chest as he makes himself comfortable in the cart, Ji Yong begins counting the packets of ramen that Seung Hyun passes on to him.

“Eight…nine…ten…eleven…twelve. That’s it.” He chirps, the both of them chortling and sharing giddy smiles at what they are doing.

“I cannot believe we’re making 12 packets of ramen a tradition for my birthday.” Seung Hyun comments, rolling the heavy cart with Ji Yong still nestled in it towards the check-out counter.

“That; and you can’t believe that you agreed to it.” Ji Yong points out, smugly, causing Seung Hyun to nod his head and tsk in amused agreement.

“That too but at least I got all my ramen.” He adds, playfully, while Ji Yong scoops some lollipops from a stand nearby along with a bottle of Coke.

“And I got you.” Ji Yong croons, the both of them openly flirting, to which Seung Hyun leans closer and lightly pecks him.

“Cheesy, but we found each other.”

Cupping both his cheeks and drowning out everything else around them, Ji Yong kisses the tip of his nose; the both of them swamped in the depth of their love that has blossomed very quickly over time.

“So is it me or Haribo Goldbears?” Seung Hyun asks as they near the counter.

“Yah, I told you it’s unfair to compare!” Ji Yong complains, winking at Seung Hyun who is quirking an eyebrow at him while smirking.

“Yah, Haribo ahjussi—” He begins, only to get interrupted by Ji Yong’s happy chuckles.

“You, my panda. It’s always you.”