chapter nine!

Dude, You Gotta Get It From Johnny

Among Johnny's hard and fast rules about what customers to take, is that he will never sell to high schoolers. College students have a hard enough time not overusing and revealing Johnny's business to people who would get him in trouble. But high schoolers...now that's even worse. 

But all of Johnny's rules seem to have exceptions. And the exception to his high schooler ruler was a kid by the name of Park Jisung. 

He hadn't known he was in high school, when he first texted. He seemed way too mature to not even have graduated yet, and Johnny had set up their first meeting with confidence and excitement. They met at the Starbucks on campus, and Jisung was tall and restrained swore to be an education major and told him all about his part time job at a sandwich place and prominent role in an off-campus dance club. 

Johnny thought it was all over when he asked Jaehyun and Doyoung (also being education majors) about Jisung, and they said they'd never heard of a Park Jisung in their lives. Which led Johnny to do a little digging and eventually, he found Jisung in his younger brother's most recent yearbook: still a high school sophomore. 

So, Johnny had thought that was the end of that. 

But Jisung had shown up in tears the next day, talking about all the pressures he had with school and work and the dance club and how it was all too much, how his parents made him do at all with nothing to relieve him at the end of the day, how he was basically diagnosed with anxiety with parents who refused to do a single thing about it. How sometimes Jisung couldn't relax or even function. 

And Johnny realized the maturity and restraint was just a symptom, and his heart gave in. 

It was an exception Johnny still felt a little guilty about, but didn't come to mind. He'd taken on a sort of caretaker role with the high schooler. He liked the kid, and Jisung definitely needed it. 

So when Jisung called, Johnny would pick up. No matter what. 

"Hey Jisung! Everything alright?" 

"Yup, yup," Jisung answered, and Johnny breathed a sigh of relief into the phone.

"How's junior year treating you?" Jisung had now been Johnny's customer for a solid eight months, from sophomore year of high school through the summer and into Jisung as a junior.

"ty. As always. But I called because...I kinda wanted to ask you if I could buy some extra this week." 

Johnny had a much stricter limit on how much he sold to Jisung versus his other clients. But if there was a legitimate reason, Johnny could make an exception. As he always did. "I'll need a good reason." 

"I dunno if it's a good reason...well...so, um, this year our school has a couple of exchange students, right?" 

"Where are they from?" 

"China. And...I kinda got close with one of them." 

Johnny perked up at this; he was of the mind that what Jisung needed more than anything else was some friends. 

"Oh?" 

"Yup. He's the loudest motherer I've ever met...I think I'm in love with him." 

"Oh, wow." 

"I know...I know. So...well...I was kinda thinking that I could get some extra to smoke with him and the other exchange student. We could make, like, a party of it. Show them some American fun." 

"So...you're gonna try and win over your crush with drugs?" 

"How else would I do it?" 

Johnny held back a concerned laugh. "Where are you gonna have this party." 

"I dunno. I was thinking up in the woods by my house?" 

"No. That's not a good idea." Johnny could just picture it in his mind: three dumb high schoolers getting high as in the wilderness behind the burbs, two of them having never tried weed before, getting caught by the police or setting something on fire. 

But Johnny did like the idea of Jisung making friends. He liked it enough that Johnny would have to figure out a way for Jisung to hold this weed party. 

And...an idea popped into his mind. 

"Why don't you do it at my house instead?" Johnny suggested. Yeah, it would be pretty annoying to have three stoned teenagers at his house for an evening. But then, he could keep an eye on them. 

"Really? I could do it at your place?" 

"Yeah. Much better than in the woods." 

"Great! Can we do it at my usual appointment time on Sunday?" 

"Sounds good to me, as long as you and your friends can sober up before going home." Jisung typically had his appointments in the morning.

"That's doable. We'll get, like, burgers after." 

"Probably a good idea. Okay, and what are their names? Just so I can be prepared." 

"Chenle and Renjun." 

"And which is the one you like?" 

"Chenle. But I think you'll be able to tell immediately. Renjun is pretty quiet and Chenle is...not." 

Johnny chuckled; it sounded sorta mean at face value but Jisung had just spoken with so much affection that it was almost funny. 

"Alright. I'll be ready. Prepare those two as best you can before coming." 

"Will do. Thanks again, Johnny. I'll pay you extra." 

"Don't worry about it kid. Just don't overwork yourself until the day comes." 

"I dunno if that's possible," Jisung answered. 

"Well...try." 

"I'll try, at least. I always do."

"Alright. Looking forward to tomorrow, and have a good rest of your week. Bye bye."

"You too," Jisung answered, and they hung up. 

~~~~~~~~~~

The day of Jisung's little party was finally here, and Johnny could tell immediately that it would be a wild ride. 

He and Taeil had decided that they mostly wanted to stay out of their way, just getting them started and checking in every so often. So Johnny had time to check them out as he brought the stuff and the materials. 

Jisung was right: Chenle was definitely loud, and over eager, with an earsplitting yet endearing laugh that had he and Taeil sharing a secret smile. It also took about five seconds for Johnny to realize Chenle was absolutely as smitten for Jisung as Jisung was for Chenle (although clearly neither had expressed these feelings). They were the cutest little high school idiots about all of it, and it made Johnny smile. 

It took Johnny about ten seconds, though, to realize Renjun was not quite as eager. He seemed absolutely done with all of their bull and was obviously tired of being their third wheel. Johnny figured he was the one who needed the weed most. 

So he left to let Jisung teach them all how to do it (he clearly needed and deserved the confidence boost), he and Taeil listening in from their bedroom. The talking was loud and animated for a minute, obviously due to Chenle but partially because of Jisung's happiness, which made them both smile, as he was never this loud and animated with others as they'd seen. 

"When I get to college, I'm not gonna do anything. I'm not gonna do ," Jisung proudly cried. "I'm just gonna vibe." 

"Vibing, vibing, vibing," Chenle answered, giggling loudly. 

Renjun was silent, and Johnny and Taeil shared a chuckle at the teen's antics. 

But then everything went pretty quiet except for loud giggling, and the couple knew it had hit them. 

Johnny popped in to check on the three boys about an hour later when he saw something he absolutely did not want to see. 

It was Jisung and Chenle, stoned as , making out on his couch. 

Ugh. That couch would forever be tainted by knowledge that high schoolers had made out on it. But maybe he should have expected this. 

Johnny turned and saw Renjun in the corner on his phone, clearly as disturbed as Johnny was. They locked eyes. 

"I'm...so sorry," Renjun said. 

"No...I'm sorry. To you," Johnny answered. They both spared a look at Chenle and Jisung, who continued either completely ignore Johnny or not even notice his presence amidst their lips smacking, and grimaced, before looking at each other again. 

"Did you like the weed at least?" 

"Yeah...that's was the good part. I liked it a lot," Renjun explained. "But they smoked a little too much, and then looked at each other...and then just started kissing. It was kinda weird." 

Johnny covered his mouth to hide his chuckle. "Yeah. That's pretty weird." 

"Do you want me to get them out of here?" 

Johnny nodded sympathetically. "That would be nice." 

Suddenly, Renjun stood up. "Who wants burgers?" He cried. 

Finally, Chenle and Jisung disentangled themselves and looked at Renjun. Their eyes were tiny and a hot red.

"Burgers?" Chenle asked, as if burgers were the key to god and also life itself. 

"ing burgers," Jisung answered. 

"Come on boys. Let's go." Renjun grabbed both of their wrists and lead them to the door, as if he was incredibly used to this sort of thing. 

Johnny watched them go with a grimace. What the  had he done?