chapter seven!

Dude, You Gotta Get It From Johnny

Johnny's two best friends are total opposites. 

There's Taeyong, of course: college dropout, musician, a crazy boy with a camming boyfriend. 

And then there's Jaehyun. 

He and Johnny had known each other since pre-k, and he'd always just been that kid: cute, sweet, popular, teacher's pet but not annoyingly so, smart, did homework on time, and had lots of interesting hobbies. As they became teenagers and then young adult, that all remained: Jaehyun was still a sweetie and popular, now handsome but still cute. He still got all A's and B's, even in the toughest classes (although now he was an elementary education major so his classes were fairly chill), but he was still fun to talk to. Unbelievably charming and still had his life organized: assignments always turned in on time, his room perfectly clean and neat, was in clubs and had hobbies, but still managed to seem chill. He was just that one guy that had his life together 

(Except for his stoner tendencies, which are far worse than Johnny's- but hey, we all have to have a release.)

Now Jaehyun and his boyfriend, Doyoung, had quite a few things in common. But Doyoung took those to the extreme: he was so type A it drove Johnny a little crazy sometimes. He had a 4.0 GPA or more since birth, pretty much. He insisted on doing all the clubs, all the internships, all the leadership opportunities. Didn't quite have Jaehyun's charm, but triple his drive. He was by far the most competitive secondary education major Johnny had ever met. 

They liked each other well enough, but it was easy to see that he and Johnny were complete opposites. So, Johnny was really surprised to receive a call from him one afternoon. 

Just in case it was an emergency, Johnny quickly picked up. 

"Hello?" 

"Hello Johnny. It's Doyoung."

"Is everything alright?" 

Doyoung chuckled. "Yeah, yeah, everything's fine. You don't have to worry. I just wanted to ask you something, but I much prefer calling to text." 

Taeil, who was sitting beside Johnny while he was on the phone (and definitely listening in), gave Johnny a terrified look, which he returned. What millenial/gen z-er (they're right in the in between zone, okay?) actually likes talking on the phone? 

"Yeah, sure, I don't mind," Johnny lied. "What's up?" 

Doyoung cleared his throat. "Um...well, you have your...business." 

"Yes...I sell weed. You can say it out loud." 

"So, you sell . I...might...want to buy some." 

Now, Johnny and Taeil shared a really shocked look. Other than Jaehyun, Doyoung was not fond of distractions. And while he didn't mind Jaehyun's weed habit, he never participated, or even made it seem like he would ever want to. 

"Well...that's new." 

Doyoung sighed deeply. "Jaehyun and I were talking the other day, about my....fear of never being enough for myself or other people and the constant need to do more and be more and never being properly satisfied with myself no matter what I acheive or how hard I work," Doyoung breathed out, almost all one word. "Anyways... Jaehyun thought weed might help with that. So...yeah. That's why I'm calling." 

Johnny took a moment to process before nodding, even though Doyoung couldn't see. "I do think weed would help. In moderation of course." 

"Of course. Of course. I think you know me well enough to know that I wouldn't want to...too much." 

"I'll be honest, man, I'm a little surprised." 

"Me too. I...I have to admit I'm a bit nervous." 

"You're in good hands though." 

"That's what Jaehyun said." 

Johnny thought for a moment. "Speaking of Jaehyun...usually I sell by appointment and have my customers test things out when we're there. Maybe you could bring Jaehyun to your appointment, I could get him his stash, and then we could all try out stuff together: me, you, Taeil, and Jaehyun. Does that sound good?

Doyoung breathed out a massive sigh of relief. "That sounds great." 

And so Johnny and Doyoung spent a few last minutes planning everything out, the day and time, before they finally said goodnight and hung up. 

Johnny turned to Taeil. "I guess we're smoking with Doyoung." 

~~~~~~~~~~

It was the day of and Jaehyun, Doyoung, Johnny and Taeil were all gathered around in the living room. All of the materials were out on the table for Johnny to demonstrate everything to Doyoung. It was obvious he was a touch nervous, but Jaehyun was holding his waist, and he laughed whenever someone cracked a joke.

Doyoung watched in a little bit of awe as Johnny finally decided it was time to send him off the deep end. He pulled out a lighter, a bit of fire turning the green pitch black. Not a bit of smoke escaped until the pipe left Johnny's lips, breathing it out seductively, the smell and smoke already filling the room. 

"Teach me how," Doyoung decisively spoke as soon as Johnny was finished. Johnny turned to him, pausing for a second before laughing. 

"Put your fingers right here," Johnny instructed, fitting Doyoung's fingers over the holes on the side. "Now in while I light it." Doyoung did just as Johnny asked but pulled away, coughing hard. 

"You and Jaehyun made it look so easy!" Doyoung whined, reaching for a glass of water off to the side. 

"Well, that's what I spent all of high school doing," Johnny answered. Taeil made grabby hands at Johnny and Taeil took his hit as Doyoung continued coughing. 

Taeil arched his back over the main couch to pass the pipe and lighter to Jaehyun, Jaehyun smiling as the held the smooth purple glass of the pipe in his hands. Doyoung was clearly watching carefully, examining every bit of the experience: the smell, the look of the weed and pipe, the way everyone's eyes were slowly turning red. Like doing anything a little crazy for the first time, he could never be sure whether he'd do this again or not, so he had to commit each and every moment of it to memory. 

"Do you ever watch Jaehyun smoke?" Taeil asked, noticing the way Doyoung was looking at Jaehyun. 

Doyoung shook his head. "Used to make me feel weird," he mumbled. 

Of course, since Jaehyun was good at everything, he looked just as good smoking as Johnny did (which was a real feat). Johnny could tell it made him simoultaneously jealous and to watch Jaehyun tilt his head up and perfectly breath the smoke at the ceiling without coughing. That's just how Jaehyun and Doyoung were: constant friendly and competition. Johnny didn't know how they managed to keep up the energy for all of that.

"Do you want my help on your next hit?" Jaehyun asked, looking directly into Doyoung's eyes as he passed him the pipe. Doyoung slowly nodded, and Jaehyun began to do all of the work for him. 

He fitted the end of the pipe in between Doyoung's lips, moving Doyoung's hands so they were over the strange little holes on the side of the device. Jaehyun pushed down and a beam of fire flamed from the tip of the lighter. 

" while I light the weed. And it's not like a cigarette, you need to swallow as much as you can to get high," Jaehyun slowly explained. But when Jaehyun mumbled a soft "cute" under his breath, giving Doyoung that pretty smile of his, Doyoung felt all right again. 

~~~~~~~~~~

A few minutes later, everyone knew exactly when the weed hit them. 

Maybe...perhaps...Johnny had accidentally given them a much stronger kind than he'd meant to, and maybe, perhaps, they'd had a little bit to drink before they all smoked, and maybe, perhaps, they'd all smoked a bit too much. But it was a pleasant high, thank god no one was paranoid, especially first timer Doyoung. 

Jaehyun had music a while ago and they had kicked the coffee table aside, all four boys dancing like absolute ing idiots in Johnny and Taeil's living room.

Dancing with his back on Jaehyun's body, Doyoung turned back to his boyfriend. He giggled like a maniac, putting his hands over his eyes. 

"My eyes...they're so hot!" He said excitedly. Jaehyun put his hand over his own eyes and laughed along with Doyoung. 

"Mine too!" Jaehyun happily responded, his eyes almost disappearing. Doyoung just laughed, smiling up at Jaehyun. 

"Mmh...I'm a bit too tired to dance now...let's lay on the couch," Doyoung said softly. Jaehyun simply nodded back, flopping back onto the couch and Doyoung laying down on top of him. 

From the corner, Johnny and Taeil snorted at their friends. They were high as but not that high, still dancing along to the music. 

Suddenly, the usually straight laced uptight Doyoung lifted a beer bottle from behind the couch. 

"Guys guys guys guys guys." 

"Whah?" Jaehyun answered. 

Doyoung placed the bottle on the floor and beckoned Johnny and Taeil to sit. "Let's play spin the bottle." 

Johnny and Taeil stared at him in complete shock. But then, they shared a look. 

" it. Let's do it," Johnny answered.