The Meeting

The Art of Fire

Ryeowook let out an inaudible sigh, trying not to fall asleep. It was a day like any other, filled with studies of the Confucian Classics. Like his five older brothers, Ryeowook knew the four books and the five classics by heart, but since it was very certain that he would never reign the country, he had lost interest in all of the writings at a young age. But in order for his parents, the King and the Queen of Joseon, to allow him to pursue his studies in medicine, he had to sit through his classes of the Confucian principles.

“This is it for today. Please make sure to study a lot at home,” the teacher finally released them and Ryeowook snapped out of his daze, immediately brightening up. He quickly packed his bag and rose to his feet to exit the lecture hall as soon as possible.

Changmin, his close friend from a well-off family, was by his side even before he reached the door and they left together to go into town. “You looked like you were about to fall asleep,” Changmin whispered and Ryeowook laughed softly, greeting one of the house maids with a nod. Ryeowook’s two private maids, who had been trained in martial arts and thus often served as his bodyguards, had also appeared behind the two friends, following them soundlessly.

“Oh, I was. I don’t understand why we still have to study the Classics when we know them by heart anyway. Not to mention that I have more important things that I should and want to learn.” He sighed softly, stepping a little closer to Changmin when he heard the usual commotion of his twin brothers behind him.

“Catch me if you can!” the slightly older one, Hyukjae, called out and raced past the two friends a moment later, closely followed by Donghae.

“Yah!” the latter yelled, still fixing his books to hold them with one arm so he could run faster.

Ryeowook shook his head lightly, hoping none of their maids would happen to be in the two brothers’ way. Once the hallway was quiet again, Changmin continued to speak, “You know what the teachers say: We have to steadily—“

“—remind ourselves of Confucius’ words so that we can lead our country wisely, I know,” Ryeowook finished together with Changmin. “But I won’t be the one to rule anyway, not with five older brothers.” His oldest two brothers were currently training in the army because their father claimed that a good scholar also had to know the ways of the field in order to rule the country well. And even if something should happen to them, his third eldest brother was an excellent scholar and similar to Ryeowook in character, so Ryeowook knew that he wouldn’t be chosen. Unlike his other brothers, he wasn’t even engaged or married yet!

Changmin shrugged lightly. “It’s still good to know all of it and remind yourself to always be grateful and how to treat others well.”

“But the things is that I do know those things.” Ryeowook stared ahead miserably. “I could do so many more good things if I didn’t have to sit in class for hours and hours. I could be out here helping people,” he argued as they passed the first gate into the courtyard. Changmin patted his shoulder in resignation, making the young prince sigh. “I know, I know. Let’s study hard so we can pass the next round of state exams, okay?”

His friend nodded and flashed him an encouraging smile. “Yes, let’s do that.”

They stepped outside into the early spring sun and Ryeowook realized that he probably should have brought his coat since he expected to be out late that day to help out in the capital’s hospital. His passion had always been helping others, going far enough when he was younger that his parents officially forbade him to help the staff around court, though he had always managed to get the staff to let him help by disguising his help as games. When the twins had been sick a few years earlier, the doctor hadn’t been able to be with them all the time, so Ryeowook had taken over the caring for a bit. He had also been in contact with the doctor a lot during that time, forming his interest to learn more about medicine and help more people in town. So, for the past few years, studying in in the mornings and going to town to help out in their hospital in the afternoons had become a habit for him.

“Oh, prince!”

“Hyung,” Ryeowook corrected automatically, though he wasn’t sure if he’d ever get Changmin to stop calling him by his official title.

“Don’t forget to come back early today?”

“Why?” Ryeowook glanced at his friend as they passed the huge gate that separated the court from the actual town.

“Haven’t you heard?”

“Heard what?”

“You’re at the hospital too much, prince. You really need to spend more time with your family!”

The prince resisted rolling his eyes for his status’ sake. “Just tell me.”

“A wandering performer is in town these days. He’s said to have really spectacular fire shows! Since the spring festival will be held soon, he’ll perform in front of your family tonight and then, if he’s allowed to, at the spring festival! I really hope your family will like him because I’d love to see someone who can supposedly tame fire!” Changmin revealed excitedly, making Ryeowook smile.

“What time do I have to be back here?”

Changmin shrugged. “That I do not know. But I guess that if you’re back by dinner, things should be alright? That’s how your family usually handles those things, isn’t it?”

Ryeowook nodded thoughtfully and a smile appeared on his lips at the outlook of something fun to do that night. “I’m looking forward to it. I’ll tell you all about the show tomorrow after class, okay?”

“Fool, tomorrow is no class!”

“No? Ah, right…” Changmin laughed when Ryeowook had once again forgotten that the next day was Sunday which meant that they were free from classes. Sunday was the day that he was always looking forward to, but since his classes always seemed to take forever, it was easy for him to lose track of time with this monotonous schedule. “Right. So… Monday?”

“Sure. Or I could stop by the hospital tomorrow? I mean, I’ll probably find you around, right?”

“Of course!”

They parted ways shortly after and Ryeowook happily went to the hospital, trying to imagine what the evening would bring.

 

 

When Ryeowook entered the dining room that evening after having changed clothes, it seemed like chaos had taken over the room. Hyukjae and Donghae were all over the place while their third-eldest brother, Jungsu, sat at the table, his head in his hands, seemingly having given up on their brothers. Their father was also already seated while their mother was nowhere in sight.

Ryeowook let one of the maids pass the entrance on her way from the kitchen to wherever she wanted to place the next dish, then he went to his designated spot next to Jungsu, greeting his father with a bow. “Father, hyung. What’s going on?”

“The twins are just overly excited about the performer who will visit us tonight.”

“Did they tell you about it?” Jungsu asked and Ryeowook shook his head, sitting down.

“No, but Changmin did. It’s the one with the fire show, isn’t it?”

“Yes, exactly. The boys had been supposed to tell you about the performance.” Their father sighed, looking tired, but Ryeowook smiled softly at him.

“Don’t be upset with them. I’m here now and I heard about everything in time, so there’s no need to be angry with Hyukjae and Donghae.”

“He’s right,” a female voice resonated from behind them and Ryeowook quickly rose to his feet to greet their mother with a bow as well. She smiled and nodded towards them.

“Mother!” Hyukjae and Donghae exclaimed from the other side of the room and bowed as well, then they came over towards the table, still beaming. “Mother, is it true that the performer’s name is from the Cho family?”

“Can he really control fire?”

“He won’t burn anything, will he?”

“Do think he’ll teach us some of his tricks?”

“I think he’ll be awesome! Will he be allowed to perform more often if we like it?”

“Is it true that he’ll perform at the spring festival?”

“Shush, kids,” their father silenced them and motioned for everyone to sit down. He gestured towards a maid who quickly stepped in and filled their bowls with soup one by one. Ryeowook watched his two older brothers fidget on their chairs, trying not to speak. He glanced over at Jungsu who looked more relaxed now that everyone was seated and the chaos had calmed down, then he watched as their maid continued to fill their bowls one by one.

When she left the table and stood off towards the kitchen door, their father raised his bowl and drank some of the soup, letting out a content sigh. They all began to eat and finally, their father spoke up, “It is true that the performer is of the Cho family. His advertisement claims that he can control fire. And I hope he won’t teach you any tricks.”

Ryeowook bit back an amused smile, certain that the twins would probably burn something if the performer were to teach them any of his tricks. “Changmin-ah also mentioned that this man may perform at the spring festival if mother and father approve of him tonight,” he added and their father nodded.

“That is true. But since the general public can be easily satisfied, I guess we can let him perform.”

“You don’t expect a lot from this performance?” Jungsu asked, making their mother laugh.

“Oh please! Someone who can control fire? He must be fake.”

Both of their parents laughed, but Ryeowook still found himself genuinely curious about the show they would get. Of course there was a big chance of being disappointed, especially with such a risky topic, but he still couldn’t help but wonder what the evening would bring.

 

 

After dinner, they immediately went to the backyard where the meeting with the performer had been organized. Ryeowook was the last member of their family to step out of the building and into the backyard, yet his eyes instantly landed on the young man who seemed to be dressed all black and currently bowed low towards them. The six of them sat down on a row of chairs that had been prepared for them and some of the house servants and maids lined up behind them.

“You may rise,” the king announced.

The young man across from them did as he was told and looked right towards them, seeming to take in every single person. A chilll ran through Ryeowook when the artist's confident, unwavering eyes met his for a heartbeat before the king spoke up again.

“Please tell us again why you are here.”

“Your Majesty.” The man bowed once more, then he straightened for good. “My name is Cho Kyuhyun and I am a wandering performer. My art is fire and I have come tonight to show you what I do and to ask for permission to perform at the spring festival that will be held soon in this town.”

The king nodded and waved at him dismissively. “Please go ahead.”

Kyuhyun nodded and turned away to one of the fire bowls behind him. He picked up a torch that he seemed to have prepared beforehand and held it into the fire bowl until it lit up. He turned back to the royal family and took a step forward. The torch’s light lit up Kyuhyun’s face and shadows flickered across it with each move from the torch, but his expression was serious and seemed to be completely focused on the fire.

He raised his free hand and moved it through the fire slower than Ryeowook would have dared. A sudden fear rose inside him if they would have needed first-aid medication and bandages. What if the performer burnt himself? Or burnet something else?

Ryeowook had had no idea that any of the things that followed were possible, at least not with fire. Kyuhyun seemed to swallow the fire and then blow it right back on the torch and sometimes Ryeowook was convinced that he saw faces or animals in the fire. Kyuhyun let the fire travel over his arms or make huge fireballs that evaporated into the air. The youngest prince was captivated by the figures and tricks that Kyuhyun seemingly conjured out of thin air. Once, the flames seemed to come right at him, so close that he could feel their heat, making him jump, but the fire dissipated before they could reach him, leaving only small sparks that rose into the air like fireflies.

Kyuhyun finished with another fireball that he blew high into the air and a bow. Ryeowook, Hyukjae, and Donghae clapped excitedly while the other three and the court staff were more reserved.

Kyuhyun straightened and Ryeowook kept his eyes fixed on him while the fire artist looked from one person to the next, eventually landing on Ryeowook. Their gazes held longer and suddenly, Kyuhyun smirked, inclining his head towards him in an almost mocking gesture.

“Mr. Cho,” the king interrupted the moment and Kyuhyun turned towards him with a neutral expression as if nothing had happened, making Ryeowook wonder for a moment if he had actually seen any of that. His father’s tone at least implied that he hadn’t noticed whatever had just happened. “We will discuss the situation. Please wait with our servants.” He turned to his servants until he spotted the teenager he had apparently been looking for, nodding at him. “You, take care of our guest.”

“Yes, Your Majesty!” the boy replied instantly and bowed low.

The king nodded, flashed another glance towards Kyuhyun who thanked him and bowed low as well, then he turned away. Ryeowook looked over towards the fire artist once more, but the other continued to bow. Once the young prince passed the door into the palace, he could hear the teenager speak to Kyuhyun.

The royal family and some of their servants went to one of the inner chambers where the king led the discussion, but Ryeowook had difficulty focusing on the conversation. Instead, his thoughts wandered off to the show they had seen and to the man manipulating the fire with ease. For how long had the other already done that? Had he grown up learning how to manipulate fire like that?

If only he could find out more about this man…

 

 

 

____________________________________________________________________

Hello everyone, I'm back with a vampire AU! The first few chapters are already written, but after that, updates will most likely be slow. However, I wanted to share the start with you already.

I hope you enjoyed the first chapter. Please subscribe and comment, I always love reading your feedback <3