spring rain

the season of you

Jisoo tapped the of her fountain pen with quick succession on her opened notebook that matched the shaking of her foot. With her chin resting on her palm, she mindlessly watched people pass by the small coffee shop window, a bit like watching television. Some wore business suits, others wore casual outfits — perhaps they’re going on a picnic? All in all, they had somewhere to be, someone to meet, and something to do.



 

The observer, so deep in her observation, didn’t notice a blonde slip into the seat across from her small table. She pushed one of the two coffee cups she brought beside Jisoo’s notebook.



 

“Any thoughts on your mind?” she asked, noting the fresh blank page of the notebook.



 

Jisoo sighed, “Nothing new.” She brought the brim to her lips and relished the warm sweetness. “Thank you, Chaeng. You always make the best coffee.”



 

Chaeyoung smiled softly, a bashful pink dusting her plump cheeks. “Always for my favorite regular.”



 

Jisoo exchanged a small smile at the younger girl’s playfulness. Chaeyoung’s coffee shop, Rosé Café, was her favorite place to work on her stories, articles, and other work. Something about the petite coffee shop helped Jisoo’s mind jog – perhaps the smell and authenticity – but not today. Not recently. Her heavy heart rendered her work ethic dull the past week and she didn’t know why.



 

Jisoo closed her notebook, swiped the worn leather with care, and packed it up in her satchel that hung on the back of her chair.



 

“Where are you off to?” the latter asked, watching Jisoo push herself off the tall stool.



 

“I’m going to go take a walk around the city.” Jisoo swung her beige coat over her shoulders and readjusted her black beret. “I think some fresh air will jog some ideas into my brain.”



 

“Don’t come home too late!” Chaeyoung called after her, whose black locks disappeared out the door that followed the jingle of the store bell. She sighed, looking at the full coffee cup left in front of her.





 

~





 

Jisoo buried her hands into the pockets of her coat, squaring her shoulders from the change of the warm shop to Gangnam’s cold autumn air. She strolled down the sidewalk aimlessly, with no particular destination in mind.



 

The block wasn’t busy since rush hour had passed, which she appreciated because she preferred peace and silence. The gray clouds draped a blanket over the small shops and apartments, painting the scenario in bleak hue. A little depressing, but quite fitting.



 

A soft breeze carried down the street, with it some loose papers and trash. It picked up the ends of Jisoo’s tresses over her shoulders and swept her bangs aside. A newspaper that tumbled down the sidewalk stuck to her shin. Leaning down to pick it up, she smoothened the crumpled front cover to read it:



 

YG Times

The Secret Life of Top Model Lisa Manoban

Written by Kim Jisoo



 

Her name on the front cover enticed a smirk. Currently, celebrities have been the buzz of society, so it was easy to flow with the trend. Along with her popular reputation and high demand from various newspaper companies, the front cover was basically reserved for her articles.



 

But her smirk fell, the same empty feeling returned as quickly as it left. As much as she didn’t want to use her writing skills for trivial topics such as gossip, she was stuck with no flow of inspiration for months. Heaving a heavy sigh, Jisoo threw the newspaper into the next trashcan and continued on her way without another glance, leaving the paper to rustle in the breeze in her wake.





 

~





 

Jennie stared blankly into the tall mirror. Dressed in a pink petite dress, her black hair was clipped back on one side with two white barrettes. She loathed formal wear, and the obligation to dress accordingly for tonight’s dinner with Jongin’s family was salt to the wound.



 

“Are you ready to go, Miss Jennie?” her personal maid called from the door of her room.



 

Jennie took one final look at herself, forcefully swallowed all her repulsion for the event, and walked to Joohyun. The girl stepped aside to allow her to pass and continue down the grand stairs of the mansion to the dining room.



 

As always, Jennie was last to arrive at the table. She considered it fashionably late, much to her parents’ dismay. Seated on the left side of the long table were her mother and younger brother. On the right side sat Jongin’s family. At the head of the table was her father poised in his usual cold demeanor.



 

Jongin – in all his neat buttoned up attire – stood up and bowed to Jennie when she stepped in. She curtly nodded to him and his parents, taking her seat across from him and beside her brother, Taehyung, who poked at his steak with a fork absentmindedly.



 

“The princess has finally arrived,” her father drawled.



 

“My apologies, father,” Jennie monotoned, the phrase scripted and spoken a hundred times, before training her eyes on the prepared plate of steak and vegetables before her.



 

Her father narrowed his eyes at her blatant attitude, but proceeded with the agenda. He was good at that – always business first. “As we all know, our dear children, Jennie and Jongin, are set to marry each other.”



 

Jongin’s father nodded enthusiastically.



 

“Would you be interested in hosting a ceremony to announce their engagement?” her father proposed. “It would help the heirs meet and acquaint themselves with other businessmen and women in the field.”



 

“That sounds like a great idea,” agreed Jongin’s father.



 

Jennie internally groaned at the mention of a party, and a formal one at that. Flashing fake smiles and engaging in boring business talks drained her drastically. Most of the time, she spaced out and conversation drifted through one ear and out the other – all mumbo jumbo and insignificant to her.



 

The rest of dinner mostly consisted of the adults talking, the fathers leading the conversation about arrangements and whatnot. Jongin glanced at Jennie frequently, his fidgeting hands showed blatant want to strike a conversation, but her gaze never left her plate that contained a half eaten steak and untouched vegetables. Taehyung looked bored out of his mind – his posture slouched, cheek propped by his elbow, scratching nonchalantly at the mahogany.



 

When the maids cleaned up the table, the adults continued to converse themselves with champagne in the living room. Taehyung left quickly to his room and Jennie made to follow suit until a hand on her shoulder stopped her in her tracks.



 

“Uh, hey,” Jongin said.



 

“Hey,” said Jennie through a forced smile.



 

Jongin scratched the back of his neck, awkward written all over his demeanor. Moreso, their dynamic screamed ‘awkward’ if it wasn’t in front of cameras and audiences. It gave Jennie terrible headaches and a stronger jaw from all the clenching. “You look nice tonight.”



 

“Thanks. I guess you look nice too.”



 

In truth, Jennie found nothing special about Jongin. Sure, he had a handsome face that most girls from high school swooned over, fit the male beauty standards of society, and was the epitome of a gentleman; a bonus being he danced well. She should be happy to have a fiancé like him, but no matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t make her heart love him like that – like her heart was holding back.



 

“Thanks,” he uttered. “Are you excited for the party?”



 

“Yes,” Jennie lied, her answers dry with an edge. Most of the parties she attended were with Jongin as her plus one. By this point, he should’ve caught on that she was incredibly bored at every single one of them. That, or he was dense.



 

“Great. I’ll see you there,” he said with a small smile.



 

He gently pulled her into a hug, his big arms over her small frame. Jennie reluctantly returned it, her uncertain palms on his lean back. Guilt clawed for not reciprocating his efforts, but she didn’t have to. In a life like hers, she wasn’t allowed to choose who she wanted to be with, only what her family sees fit. That was the reality of it.



 

Jongin and his family finally left in high spirits for the upcoming ceremony. Jennie made a beeline to her room, but before her flat reached the first step, her father called out her name laced with signature ice, “Jennie.”



 

She clamped her eyes shut with a silent scoff before swiveling to meet her father in the living room. He sat on the red exquisite armchair, one arm propped on the side and another holding a glass of champagne. He churned his glass slowly, transfixed by the burning fireplace.



 

Jennie quietly took the couch across from him. “Yes, father?”



 

“You remember how important this marriage is, right? For our company?”



 

“Yes, father.” Her chest tightened.



 

His gaze shifted from the fireplace to her, fashioning that same cold expression. “Don’t disappoint me again.”



 

Once her father left, Jennie’s eyes wandered to the fireplace. The fire blazed brightly and heartily, a definite opposite to how she was feeling at the moment. As the flames danced, sparks flew and landed among the ashes and wood. Even if the fire was confined in the small hearthstone, it moved and looked more free than Jennie would ever be.





 

~





 

Jisoo stepped into the dark apartment situated above Rosé Café, carefully closing the door behind her. She glanced at the clock hung on the hallway wall that was faintly lit by the moonlight whose hands read 9:32 PM. She cursed under her breath. Chaeyoung usually wanted her home strictly by nine.



 

Once she removed her sneakers, she tiptoed to her room, subtly feeling around the dark. When she found the knob, the living room lamp switched on, freezing her on her tracks like a deer caught in the headlights.



 

“Jisoo? Is that you?” Chaeyoung drowsed behind her.



 

Jisoo cursed silently before turning around. “Yes,” she replied meekly.



 

Chaeyoung peeked her head from over the small couch with disheveled hair and crooked spectacles. “A mail came for you today. It’s on the counter.”



 

Jisoo heaved a small sigh, relieved that Chaeyoung didn’t lecture her this time. The latter must’ve not realized the time right now. She walked over to the kitchen island to check out said mail situated on a pile of newspapers and coupons.



 

The envelope was written in neat slick calligraphy, the words “To Miss Kim Jisoo” splayed across. The stamp on the top left was one she recognized from receiving it often for requested work – a stamp specific to YG Times.



 

She carefully ripped the flap from its adhesive glue, taking out the delicate card stock – white parchment with leaves traced in gold glitter. Opening it, it read:



 

Dear Miss Kim Jisoo,

 

You are invited to the formal ceremony to celebrate the engagement of Jennie Kim, heir of YG Times, and Kim Jongin, heir of SM Post. The ceremony will be hosted at the mansion of Kim Soohyun, CEO of SM Post, and his lovely wife, Son Yeji, this Saturday night. We will appreciate it if you can attend this monumental moment.

 

Sincerely, Kim Hyunbin and Son Yejin

 


 

Jisoo clutched the letter, so tightly her knuckles turned white and the cardstock ripped and creased, cracking the black ink. A knot tarnished and her heart heavied by tenfold. She didn’t know whether to laugh or cry, but when the beautifully written words blurred and her eyes stung, it wasn’t until a wet drop fell on the invitation that she realized she was crying.



 

“What is it about, Jisoo?” Chaeyoung asked, worry plastered all over her question. The girl had a keen eye, most likely noticing her shaking shoulders.



 

Jisoo wiped her eyes with her sleeve, making sure to stifle the oncoming sniff. If she told Chaeyoung the truth, the girl would chew her ear out for attending when she’s there. It’s pure business. It’s just business. Nothing more, nothing less.



 

Jisoo turned over her shoulder and waved the letter in the air, tugging a forced smile. “I have a business party to go to this Saturday.”





 

~





 

Saturday came awfully quick, much to Jennie’s dismay. She sat on the chair, facing a vanity mirror with makeup products littered on the table. Joohyun was busy applying some blush on her cheeks, her eyebrows stitched in concentration.



 

At least Joohyun dressed her in her favorite color: a simple, yet elegant long black dress with a neckline that cut wide and hung on her shoulders, the back dipping in the shape of a V. Although she was satisfied with the dress, the thought of matching it with black heels already ached her feet that were no stranger to the pain. Hanging diamond earrings twinkled from underneath her fair brown curls. A two layered diamond necklace rested on sharp collar bones that complimented her skin.



 

Joohyun stepped away to let Jennie admire herself in the vanity mirror. “Do you like it?” Joohyun asked with tentativeness, having been well acquainted with her blunt criticism and attitude.



 

Jennie angled her face around, appraising her work. “It’s fine,” she stated, pushing herself off the chair and sauntering out of her room. Joohyun sighed with relief before following her.



 

At the front of the Kims’ mansion, the chauffeur’s limousine was parked in the driveway. Taehyung, dressed in a black suit, was leaning against the marble pillar, eyes casted down and hands in the pockets of his slacks. He looked up when he heard the entrance door open.



 

“Late as always,” Taehyung grumbled, pushing himself off the pillar and sauntered to the vehicle.



 

“Whatever,” Jennie muttered under her breath and followed him.



 

Joohyun politely waved Jennie goodbye from the stairs. Jennie didn’t spare her another glance and stared straight ahead as the chauffeur drove, her stomach churning with dread for the coming night.





 

~





 

The mansion came into view when the chauffeur rounded the block. It was in the middle of a rich neighborhood with other mansions, but it was the biggest of them all, emphasized with elegant marble exterior. Guests in fancy clothes were dropped off at the front, chatting and filing through the towering double oak doors.



 

The limousine slowed to a stop. Taehyung made to exit first and held the door open for Jennie — one of the few things he learned at the gentlemen's school their parents forced him to enroll in. Unfortunately, he didn’t learn much as he was too busy slacking off.



 

Jennie took his extended arm and the limousine drove away. The two siblings faced the glowing mansion, the lights behind trimmed bushes casting dancing ominous shadows along the smooth exterior.



 

“It’s just another one,” Taehyung said, dreading parties as much as Jennie.



 

Jennie gave a firm nod. “It’s just another one.”



 

Together, they entered the lion’s den.





 

~





 

Jisoo’s taxi stopped a few feet from the mansion. She bowed her head in thanks and paid the driver a few bills. When the taxi drove away, she turned toward the mansion, squaring her shoulders and doing a few breathing exercises in mental preparation.



 

Nearing the venue, a surge of insecurity overcame her, prompting her to cross her arms to cover her chest. She didn’t have fancy dresses like the women here, who had dresses embroidered with jewels and gold. Chaeyoung helped her dress for tonight because Jisoo was mediocre with dressing formally. Then again, formal wasn’t her thing. For tonight, she wore a casual gray blazer and slacks, with her hair tied neatly into a low ponytail and topped with her bangs framing her face.



 

She sighed. Chaeng didn’t take into account that this party has a bunch of rich people.



 

Soft jazz music tickled Jisoo’s ears once she stepped in through the grand oak doors. Waiters and waitresses walked around with trays of glasses of champagne and wine, and various fancy desserts and appetizers. Men and women either chatted in small groups, strolled around arm in arm, or admired the rare artwork and interior of the Kims’ mansion.



 

Jisoo fidgeted and twiddled her thumbs, awkwardness seizing her demeanor at the sight of unfamiliar faces. Albeit her renowned reputation, she hadn’t made any real connections with those in the industry, or what she considered real connections. Every figure screamed ‘business only’, that alone made it hard to make acquaintances – let alone friends.



 

“Jisoo!” A light voice called from within the crowd.



 

Jisoo’s head swiveled to find a familiar head of long tawny hair, who beckoned her to come over with slender fingers. She was with two other men in matching black suits.



 

“This is the journalist that wrote my article, Kim Jisoo,” Lisa introduced her to the men with the wave of her champagne glass.



 

Jisoo politely bowed to them. They bobbed their heads, impressed. The older balding one briefly looked her up and down, a wave of discomfort prompting Jisoo to cross her arms tighter.



 

“I heard a lot about you,” commented the other one with black hair slicked to the side. “Your work is amazing. I’m Park Seojoon.”



 

Jisoo shook Seojoon’s big hand firmly. Before the balding one could do the same, the lights dimmed and an announcer spoke into the microphone on the elevated stage.



 

“Ladies and gentlemen. Thank you all for coming.” At the stage was Kim Soohyun, the spotlight aiding with shine and focus. “Enjoying yourselves tonight?”



 

The crowd responded with small cheers.



 

“That’s great to hear,” Soohyun chuckled, “Now we will have the betrothed couple of the night who wishes to share a few words to you all.”



 

A polite applause emitted from the crowd as Soohyun handed the microphone over to the couple, arms interlocked, that walked up the stairs of the stage. Jisoo’s heart stopped.



 

“Thank you, father,” the man said, flashing rows of perfect teeth. The couple turned to face the audience.



 

“Thank you all for attending tonight,” he said. “I’m Kim Jongin and this is my fiancé, Jennie Kim…”



 

A high pitch ringing tuned out the rest of the speech. Jongin was mouthing words, but Jisoo’s vision tunneled on Jennie who was just as she remembered her – only more mature and ethereal, something she couldn’t fathom be possible. The spotlight accentuated her dazzling jewelry and glowing fair skin. The dress hugged her curves just right, with it loosening slightly at the hip to flow down to her nice legs that her heels complimented. The silky brown tresses spilled over her shoulders, resembling similarly to rich chocolate. To simply say Jennie took Jisoo’s breath away was an understatement. The girl never failed to do so, from eighteen years old to now – a fact Jisoo grew to resent.



 

The microphone was handed over to Jennie, who graciously took it with small hands. “Yes, thank you thank you,” she spoke, her smooth and tiny voice instigating the same flutter in Jisoo’s chest. “We hope you all attend our wedding in the spring.” She crooked a small smile. Jisoo didn’t have to have an institution of a journalist to see through the sham of her demeanor.



 

The couple finished their speeches and handed the microphone back to Soohyun who dismissed the audience with a wish to enjoy the rest of the evening. It was only thanks to the wave of Lisa’s hand in front of her eyes that Jisoo snapped out of her trance for Jennie, long gone from the stage and long melted into the chattering crowd. Her chest panged – whether in wanting to see her or hating to see her, Jisoo didn’t know. Nothing could’ve prepared her to see her again. It’s quite ironic, considering Jisoo knew she was attending her engagement party. Seeing her was inevitable, but it didn’t make it hurt any less.



 

“I didn’t know you were coming tonight,” Lisa chirped with a wide grin. “It’s so good to see you again.”



 

Jisoo swallowed the lump in and flashed a small smile. “I wouldn’t have thought either.” Jisoo had to crane her neck up to meet the Thai girls’ eyes, since her heels made their already apparent height difference increase a few inches. Although, the heels – along with the gold bodycon dress – did make Lisa’s long legs look more exquisite. “The couple that just spoke, Jongin and – and –”



 

“Yes!” Lisa piped. “Aren’t they such a beautiful couple? Especially Jongin. His face is so handsome,” she swooned. “I can’t wait for their wedding this spring. They’ll have beautiful children, I bet. They even share the same surname too. It was meant to be.”



 

Ah, right. They’re getting married. Jisoo gave a small chuckle at the model’s behavior. The pang grew by a tenfold, so much that it was hard to breathe as it caved into her chest and clogged her lungs. I wish I didn’t have to find out this way. I wish you told me instead.



 

Before Jisoo succumbed to the creeping vertigo, Lisa offered a champagne glass she picked up from a passing waitress, fashioning a kind smile.



 

“Let’s have some fun, Jisoo.”



 

As the night progressed, she stuck by Lisa’s side as the model chatted and introduced her to more people. Lisa’s charming personality and wit made the party and conversations more bearable – the people being as bland as cardboard – which Jisoo was grateful for. As much as Jisoo enjoyed Lisa’s company, the air began to grow suffocatingly thick with so many people around her.



 

“I’m going to go to the restroom,” Jisoo told Lisa, who nodded and turned back to the man and woman they were previously conversing with.



 

Rather than the restroom, Jisoo made her way to the top balcony.





 

~





 

Jennie was talking to the thirty-second guest of the evening.



 

She was glad that Jongin led most of the conversation. The guests expected the man to do the talking anyway. She just silently listened by his side, nodding occasionally to feign interest and engagement, answering the few questions directed at her.



 

“Are you okay, Jennie?” Jongin asked, eyebrows furrowed slightly with concern once the guests walked away to mingle with others.



 

The question warped Jennie out of her nonchalance, meeting a state of lightheadedness and vertigo. The space of the mansion grew smaller, or was it because of the many participants that she can’t even see over the heads of? She stumbled a bit, but Jongin’s strong arm kept her upright.



 

“Just feeling a little dizzy.” Jennie held her left temple and gave Jongin a reassuring smile. “I think I’ll go to the restroom.”



 

“Do you want me to come with you?” Jongin offered quickly.



 

“It’s okay. You can get us some more champagne.”



 

Jennie slipped her arm off Jongin’s before he could utter another word and weaved into the crowd. The guests tried to engage in conversations, but Jennie brushed them off as politely and bluntly as she could.



 

Can they just leave me alone? All of them evoked her to rip her hair out. To tear down all those fake smiles and kind words was what Jennie was inches away from doing. But she wasn’t any better than them — she was playing the same game, the same smile, the same words.



 

Before one more could get under her skin, Jennie broke free into the cold night air of the balcony.



 

The feeling of the suffocating party diminished as Jennie let the fresh air kiss her skin and moonlight wash away all her frustration and calm her angry nerves. The full moon shone brightly among the many twinkling stars. She smiled, drinking in the night sky that never failed to soothe her.



 

Her eyes trailed to her left, spotting another person a few feet away, unknowing of her presence. With her elbow propped on the marble railing, the woman rested her chin on her palm – her other hand tapping in quick succession. Her sun kissed complexion glowed under the moonlight that contrasted strikingly with her scarlet lipstick.



 

The scarlet lipstick that belonged to heart shaped lips.



 

Heart shaped lips that paired with doe eyes.



 

A duo forever etched in Jennie’s memory — the duo that brought the familiar smell of spring rain.





 

~





 

Spring. A season of new beginnings, where everything comes to life again after winter.



 

But Jennie wasn’t near feeling alive. Nor did she sense a new beginning, an opportunity she wouldn’t hesitate to take, but alas, she was still stuck in the same story.



 

With spring came rain. Lots of it. Spring rain helped farm crops grow. Good for them, not good for Jennie who was stuck under an awning of the local library that closed a little while ago. Her chauffeur usually picked her up once school ended, but she usually ran away to the local library before he could. She liked studying and doing homework there a lot more than at home. Avoiding home was something she tried to do as often as possible.



 

But today out of all the days, it had to rain.



 

Jennie hugged her arms tightly, her school blazer and button up not faring well against the cold seeping through the threads. She shuffled her feet and rubbed her bare legs together in an attempt to entice heat, since her pleated skirt was good for nothing.



 

She sighed as the rainwater streamed off the edge of the green awning like a waterfall. The rain didn’t look like it’ll stop anytime soon. If she lingered longer, the flood that already engulfed the street an inch or two would only grow. It was only a matter of time when it’ll level with the sidewalk and wet her shoes.



 

She weighed her choices: get drenched or stay stranded. Neither were appealing, but she preferred the latter nonetheless.



 

From her peripheral vision, a student ran under her awning, drenched from head to toe. In her hand was a soggy newspaper used as an ineffective umbrella. The raven haired girl tossed the newspaper aside with a heavy sigh, brushing away strands of wet bangs that stuck on her sun kissed complexion.



 

“Stuck here too?” she asked, doe eyes catching Jennie’s nonchalant gaze. It startled Jennie – the deep, velvety voice that fit and didn’t fit her appearance, and that she got caught staring.



 

“Yeah,” Jennie replied curtly, snapping away from the girl in hopes it would end the conversation. She wasn’t in the mood to talk, much less to a stranger, as the concern of how she’ll get home occupied her mind.



 

Footsteps shuffled closer until they were beside her. Jennie closed her eyes, internally grimacing at the fact the girl didn’t catch her hint.



 

“I was down the block,” the girl chirped as she wringed the end of her uniform, the stitched patch belonging to a school Jennie didn’t know, and with a missing bottom button. “I didn’t realize it would rain so hard today. I’ve been hopping through roofs and stuff, even picked up that newspaper along the way.” She pointed her thumb at the soggy paper with a chuckle. “It didn’t help that much, as you might tell.” She gestured from her head to her toes.



 

The ends of Jennie’s lips tugged, matched with a slight exhale through her nose. Perhaps it’s because the girl was amusing, or the way her rosy lips formed a heart when she laughed at her own anecdote. Regardless, it’s enough for Jennie to spare a second glance.



 

“Were you studying in the library?” the girl asked with a small tilt of her head.



 

Jennie hesitated, still reluctant about conversation. But the girl didn’t look like she’ll leave her alone anytime soon, so she complied. “Yeah.”



 

“Are you waiting for someone?”



 

“No. I ran away from them.”



 

“Oh,” The latter hummed in thought, rocking on the balls of her feet. “Where do you live?”



 

Jennie wasn’t one to share her address to a complete stranger, but again, she complied due to the low chance the girl was leaving soon. “Over there.” She pointed her finger vaguely toward the direction of her home.



 

The girl squinted and brought up her hand over her eyes as if shielding them from the sun. The silly act prompted another exhale through Jennie’s nose, which she ducked to mask.



 

“Oh!” She clapped her hands and gaped. “Is it past the barber shop with the weird motorcycle prints on the windows? That intersection?”



 

Jennie’s eyebrows shot up at the accurate description. “Yeah.”



 

“I live that way too!” She did a small hop in excitement, eyes turned to crescents. “We should walk together.”



 

She does? One glance at her and Jennie could conclude she wasn’t a rich girl. Perhaps it’s the same direction, but a different area. Must be.



 

“I don’t know.” Jennie in through her teeth and motioned to the weather with the nudge of her head. “It’s raining pretty hard.”



 

“You’ll survive.” She appraised Jennie up and down, a gesture that made her slightly insecure for some reason. “You don’t have a single drop on you, and look at me. If I can do it, then you can too!”



 

The girl was a little too talkative for Jennie’s taste. Added with her bubbliness, it’s a recipe for a person that would irk Jennie to oblivion. Oddly enough, Jennie wasn’t as irked as she would be. The girl was funny, she’ll give her that.



 

“Still – what the –!” Jennie was interrupted as she jerked forward into the downpour by a pull of her wrist.



 

“We have to hurry!” the latter exclaimed as she dragged Jennie through the inch of rain water pooled on the concrete. Jennie grimaced and cursed as the water splashed on her legs and seeped through her shoes. “We’ll get less wet if we run fast!”



 

Jennie parted her lips wanting to argue with that logic, to scream that she’s crazy, to say they’re already drenched with one step into the rain – but the swiftness at which the girl ran stole her words. She cursed again, using her free hand to shield her eyes from the rain as she tried to keep pace with her down the street. Her backpack banged painfully on her lower back, a reminder of inevitable water damage.



 

“Be careful!” the girl shouted over the roar of the rain when they neared the small hill of the area. “It’s slippery!”



 

Thankfully, the girl slowed down in order to descend the hill with caution, much to Jennie’s sore legs’ gratitude. At one point during their sprint, the girl’s grip slipped from her wrist to clasp her hand. The realization enticed heat up Jennie’s neck when she almost slipped during their descent, the girl’s strong hold keeping her from falling on her .



 

“We’re almost there!” the girl shouted another phrase of encouragement and broke into another run once they set foot on leveled sidewalk. Jennie groaned along with her legs that had long seen exercise as intense as this.



 

They neared the street that turned into Jennie’s neighborhood of many mansions along a hill. The girl didn’t look like she was stopping soon, so Jennie tugged at her hand.



 

“Wait!” Jennie shouted, prompting the girl to cease in her steps.



 

“What is it?”



 

“This is where I live.” Jennie gestured to the neighborhood.



 

The girl looked back and forth between Jennie and the grand houses, along with one glance at her uniform. Her eyebrows disappeared under her bangs and her eyes widened.



 

“Oh. You’re a rich kid.”



 

That sounded condescending, but between her fatigue and shivers, Jennie couldn’t care less about what the girl thought of her. Actually, she did. Just a little.



 

“Then I guess this is where we part.” The girl smiled and held her hand out to shake. “I’m Jisoo.”



 

It’s strange, the way Jennie found herself rooted on her spot instead of booking it to her house to get out of the rain as fast as possible. She glanced at the outstretched hand, then to Jisoo’s pretty face, all kind and welcoming, with long lashes collecting and releasing drops of rain.



 

She took it. Despite her cold and clammy palm, Jisoo’s soft touch – her bigger hand blanketing her tiny one – warmed it all up like a hearth. It completely nulled the effects the rain inflicted on her, and she didn’t mind staying in the moment forever.



 

“Jennie.”



 

“Jennie. A rich kid name,” Jisoo joked with a hearty laugh – a laugh that palpitated her heart, and as corny as it was, sounded like music. “Goodbye, Jennie.”



 

Before Jennie could say another word, Jisoo jogged away. It was then that Jennie realized Jisoo smelled of vanilla – the aroma lingering before being washed away with the smell of spring rain.



 

Jennie was still rooted on her spot. Home was a few feet away, and she should be trying to escape the downpour as soon as possible because she was prone to sickness, but she found herself staring after the bouncing blob of black hair instead.



 

She smiled.





 

~





 

“Jennie.”



 

It was the same doe eyes, the same heart shaped lips. She wasn’t hallucinating. It was her after seven years. Her mind urged her to run away, but as always, she stayed rooted, the mere presence of Jisoo seizing all senses numb.



 

“Congratulations on your engagement.” Jisoo cracked a small smile.



 

Congratulations? She didn’t really mean it. Even if her eyes were hooded, Jennie could see right through them. She knew them better than anyone else, as so she hoped. Was it a fair claim if she hadn’t seen her in so long? A million questions bombarded her mind, fighting to be asked first.



 

How are you doing?



 

Are you doing well?



 

Can we catch up?



 

Have you found someone else?



 

Can you forgive me?



 

“Here for a breather, too?” Jisoo asked. “You were always one to hate big parties.” She chuckled – Jennie didn’t miss the bitter undertone – and turned to admire the marvelous garden below.



 

You too, Jennie wanted to say. You hate crowds. Why are you here?



 

“Jisoo.”



 

The latter turned back at the mention of her name. It was one of many words that Jennie wanted to utter, but clogged again.



 

Jisoo was waiting, that small tilt of her head egging her on. She was always patient with Jennie. What do you want to say? her eyes asked.



 

A million things, seven years of things she wanted to tell her since that day. They all clumped on the tip of her tongue, pushing and banging against her lips. Jennie didn’t know what to say first – wasn’t even sure of what to say – but she was certain of one thing.



 

I miss you.



 

“There you are, Jennie.”



 

Both women swiveled their attention to the balcony door, where Jongin was standing with two glasses of champagne in his hands. He glanced between them with uncertainty.



 

“Are you feeling better?” Jongin asked, handing Jennie the glass and draping his arm over her shoulders.



 

Jennie strained a small smile. “Yes. Thank you.”



 

Jongin beamed. “Our parents want us to meet with a few of their colleagues. Shall we go?”



 

Jennie’s smile faltered, but was fixed just as quickly. “Yes.”



 

Arm in arm, Jennie walked away with Jongin as she fought the urge to look back. Even without looking back, she sensed those doe eyes following her out, piercing into the back of her head.



 

That only deepened the cavity in her chest.