How It Started

Special
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2017. Darwin, Australia.

25 years old Kim Eugene boarded the plane heading to Seoul after a week of working in Darwin, Australia. This project of meeting and landing new investors to the company is Eugene’s first abroad job, and it went as smooth as she wanted. Eugene grew up living comfortably as an heir to her father’s company, Kim Co., a big name in F&B industry in Asia. Eugene finished her Business degree in United States by the time she turned 22, earlier than most people, making her parents confident that she could bear the weight of the crown.

Eugene already asked her personal assistant to forward work-related calls straight to the office so the both of them can have a peaceful 16 hours flight. Jang Da Reum, Eugene’s personal assistant, is probably one of the most hard-working people Eugene had ever seen. A few months ago, Eugene found out that Da Reum almost missed her sister’s wedding vows because of an emergency calls for a meeting with investors from China. After that, Eugene always made sure when she’s taking the break, Da Reum will be off the work too. Eugene hired another assistant to help the one she already had at the office, to cover when both Eugene and Da Reum are off.

Eugene scrolled through Instagram, liking some and scoffing at some. Her colleagues and some of her child-hood friends are either getting married or spending money on exotic islands. Eugene never liked the idea of just living off her parents’ money, it wasn’t in her blood. As Eugene kept scrolling through various pictures, a loud laughter can be heard at the cabin.

“Oppa, how can you blame the shoes? You literally tripped over air.” A woman said, earning a full blown laughter from the men walking with her.

“Eh, I always had this thought that you’re a tall man for nothing.” One of the man said, teasing the tallest guy in the group, his voice is oddly familiar.

“Shut up please I’m so tired dealing with all of you,” the tall guy replied, Eugene heard the joke in his tone. They surely are friends, odd group of friends perhaps. 2 of the other guys are probably way older than the girl and the tall guy.

To Eugene’s surprise, of all the seats at the First Class, the tall guy took the seat beside her. One of his friends was seated alone at the seat across from them while the other two seated behind him, leaving the 2 seats behind Eugene and the tall guy empty.

“Kwang Soo-ya, you know you can just sit with me right?” The lone man said, earning chuckles from the other two seated behind him and a scoff from the tall guy.

“Why? Why should I? If it’s up to me, I wouldn’t fly back with the three of you. Your energy is bad for me.”

“Aish, what are you saying? You’re part of us, we radiate bad energy together.”

A flight attendant calling for the attention of First Class passengers made their conversation halted to a full stop. The plane took off not too long after that.

The first 4 hours, Eugene slept like a baby. She only woke up due to her rumbling stomach. When a flight attendant walked past the aisle, Eugene called her and ordered a light on-flight lunch.

Eugene thought she might use the waiting time to browse through the social media again. Not even 5 minutes later, the flight attendant came with her lunch. Eugene finished her lunch in record time, didn’t even r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter