Chapter Five

One Plus One
Please log in to read the full chapter

One Plus One Equals Tune

Namjoon and Jungkook both are having an extremely trying week. Namjoon places Jungkook bouncer on a stand he has next to his desk to keep Jungkook nearby. Namjoon leans down to sit Jungkook in the bouncer after rocking the boy to sleep. Jungkook awakes the moment he’s  placed inside, his lips trembles big fat crystal tears fall from his eyes as he begins to cry. Namjoon has been doing this for an hour now and he’s worn out.

“Jungkookie, I can’t work with you being stubborn like this.” Jungkook grew fussy after getting his first shots paranoid every second he couldn’t see Namjoon. Namjoon mentioned  to Jin before how he’s so young yet so aware; being afraid something bad would happen if he let go of Namjoon. He extends his arms reaching for Namjoon who sighs in defeat as he lifts the boy up back in his arms. He clings to his Appa crying into his neck, his small hand clutching Namjoon’s collar in his hands. 

“You’re just having a very bad day is all, Koo.” Namjoon rubs the boy’s back in a circle trying to coax his cries. “You’ll be fine I promise.” Namjoon softly hums which calms the boy right away. He’s prolonging his fight with his sleep even though his eyes are heavier than before. The poor infant nods off but pops back up holding his head up to look and see if Namjoon is still in front of him. The melody soothes him, sleep winning when he can no longer hold his head up, he rests it back on Namjoon's shoulders with a small sigh. Finally admitting his defeat.

 

“God, what do I do with you.” Namjoon places the infant down in the bouncer next to him before falling back into his own chair thinking of ways to cheer Jungkook up. “Music.” The melody he hummed before comes back to him and he gets to work first busing himself with the guide. He plays the slur of lyrics through his headset while playing the instrumental aloud. The infant seems to sleep better with the melody playing. 

Namjoon begins to rap lightly to the instrumental, taking a pen to scribble lyrics that do not fit and write another phrase above the previous set. He’s at the point where all he needs to do is hop in the booth. He leans back with his eyes closed, rapping another string of words getting sleepier by the minute. When he jolts awake due to his phone ringing.

“Hey, what’s up.” He greets Yoongi who seems to call when he needs him the most. With all the stress from work and Jungkook's mood being dire Namjoon could use a friend right now.

“I have an artist I’ll be sending your way. Do you have any room to squeeze them in to work on ideas for a prototype?” That’s something Namjoon did not need right at this moment. He wanted a break from work if anything at all.

“Jungkook isn’t having the best day so today doesn’t seem like the best idea.” Namjoon sighs, tussling his hair in anguish. He’s pushed back a couple of meetings due to Jungkook’s condition this past week.

“I heard you fumbled during this appointment.” Yoongi knowing his best friend worries over not being inadequate and not having enough knowledge to properly raise Jungkook. 

“I didn’t know what to do when he needed me the most. If you saw the way he looked for me and the way Hobi looked at me to rescue him. Both of them had my heart hurting.” Namjoon admits. Jungkook avoided Jin completely after his shoots which made Jin feel upset also. It’s been a horrible week for the four of them. 

“Just grow from here. It’s not too late.” Yoongi reminds him as he always does. “How about I go scoop Hobi and we come over to hang out? You meet the artist and after we go get Christmas gifts for everyone?” Namjoon had meant to get gifts with the holiday approaching. 

“Honestly, anything but sitting in this house.” Namjoon dimples appear for the first time in weeks, he’s been completely unsettled with everything going on. 

 

Hoseok is a burst of energy that his Uncle needs, he chases the toddler around the house while Jungkook watches from his activity match. He’s laying on his tummy doing his favorite thing; lifting his head. Namjoon’s amazed the first time he saw the infant lift his head and what followed was a kick in his feet. He’s thrilled to show Yoongi his son’s progress. 

“He’s really trying to crawl.” Yoongi comments amused by the whole thing. He watches over Jungkook from where he’s sitting indian style on the couch with his phone clutched in his hands. Namjoon’s sure he’s looking around for the right gift to get Seokjin.

“He wants to play with us.” Namjoon calls out when he catches Hoseok laying him down on the mat and tickling him. Jungkook giggles along with the boy shocking the two adults. 

“Koo, laugh?” Hobi sits up staring at Jungkook. Jungkook giggles even more when Namjoon stares at him in mild shock. Having realized his parents enjoyed seeing him do new things. Whenever Jungkook would smile Namjoon would return a massive smile, his crater like dimples displaying in his cheeks. 

Jungkook observes everyone and everything, picking up on Hoseok's laugh. If Hoseok laughs he’s rewarded with a hearty laugh from Namjoon. Jungkook grew from just smiling to laughing; most importantly being able to produce sound created an array of different emotions from his family.

“I’m calling Jin.” Yoongi dials him right away but notices Namjoon's unmovable state. “This is where you get the camera and make him laugh more.” 

“You’re right I need to record it.” Namjoon mumbles, grabbing his phone Yoongi just stares at his poor friend in disbelief.. He props it up before focusing on Jungkook. Namjoon tickles Hoseok who falls over in laughter and Jungkook giggles with him. Namjoon reaches over flipping Jungkook carefully, of course. Then begins tickling him. Jungkook is mildly shocked but produces a laugh. 

“Is that my baby?” Namjoon hears Jin's voice.

“Let me flip the camera.” Yoongi flips

Please log in to read the full chapter