Truths

The Cobbler and The Pauper
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A few millennia ago, Faustinian continent was ruled by different creatures of magical abilities. Mages, Fairies, Elves each lived in peace and abundance, yet everything changed after Humanity began their selfish act of violence. Being the weakest form in all of Faustina. The powerless strive to conquer. Equipped with their knowledge which were honed from the very beginning of time. They began hunting every other race down, making those with greater power who only wish for peace flee and most; slaughtered. After centuries of continuous oppression from humanity. The powerful became powerless and continue seeking refuge to other continents, hiding in humanity's sight. Living the life of the unseen. They kept silent, until one day.

 

In a small town under the Cordovan Empire; which was Humanity's very first Kingdom after the Great Hunt. A young girl walks aimlessly towards the forest at the edge of the western border. She had been collecting tree saps from Gorosoe trees and fruits that could feed her, and her family for the rest of the week. With a large clay jug riding her back and a woven basket above her head. The young maiden proceeds to walk until the designated imaginary line drawn by the parliament. Going past the borders were forbidden, and if caught, execution awaits. Even so, the young maiden would casually skip past that border and head straight into the forbidden lands in search of a much decent supplies. The untouched forest bears more than what the Cordovan forests could ever give. Assortment of fruits and an abundant number of wild boars and deers walk the untouched territory. It may also be called "Heaven" by the impoverished, and by impoverished— it was the young maiden's family. She, her sibling and her mother had always been barely living. Begging at the streets of Cordova, and at times pickpocketing at the little town of Celestine, in the Southern part of Kingdom.

 

Only hanging by a thin thread to not be on the bottom of the food chain. The young maiden halted her steps inside the forbidden forest to breathe in a hefty amount of air, clearing her mind from things that usually haunts her at night. She began walking back towards the border, thinking it would be the usual easy exit. She paid no attention to the rustling bushes, and then it happened. Soon her head was pressed down a muddy puddle. Her whole body wriggling with all her might, trying to slip through the tight and powerful grasp that was held against her limbs. Her eyes, cowering in fear for her dear life as her senses became clouded with terror. Two large castle guards pinned her down; spitting incoherent sentences that seem to not reach her ears. Everything was hazy. Yet she could still see how the other guards had looked into her things and, one by one, tear everything apart. She was scared, but she was more scared for her family. Those were their food and supplies for the whole week. However, the grasp that was restraining her were too heavy for her small and frail body.

 

The only thing she could do is beg for forgiveness and for her dear life, yet the guards seem to not hear her pleas. Dragging her by the hair. Her skin gaining scratches from the friction, a strained shout of pain escaped her lips. 

"Shut up! Peasant!" One of the guards who were tailing them roared before hitting her straight to her abdomen with a scabbard. Hunching forward because of unbearable pain, the young girl began sobbing, harder. Fortunately, something came to save her. In a matter of seconds, the guards began falling on their knees. Blood bathing their own bodies while their heads decapitated on their own. The little girl became more horrified, yet she felt relieved after she felt the tight grasp on her hair loosen. 

 

Immediately standing on her two feet, only to fall back to the ground, buttocks first. Her tunic made from rags absorbing the blood from the people who mercilessly dragged her across the border. Lifting her hands up to look at the crimson red liquid trickling down from her palms, her heart began thumping so loud, like a wild thunder roar. Crossing the border was already a Capital offense punishable by death. What more, about killing 9 royal guards and decapitating their heads off. Even if the court proves her to not have enough strength to kill those men, her previous defiance of the law could still deemed her as a spy, and be charged with espionage and treason.

 

With thoughts of things that might happen to her. The young lass tried to stifle a cry. "It's the end of the line." She said in between sobs. Clenching her blood soak hand on her rag like clothes. She was helpless and afraid at that moment, that when a bush rustled up ahead. Her eyes began averting it's gazes everywhere. Preparing to be dragged to her last day, but none of those came. Instead a beautiful maiden with hair of silver that was peeking from her moss colored cloak, came to her rescue. Teal eyes staring straight into her soul with so much concern and worry. "Little one, why have you crossed the forbidden lands?" The maiden asks, kneeling down in front of the sitting lass.

 

The young peasant could only tremble at the stranger's presence. As the silver haired maiden's hand approaches her, tears began b on her eyes. The moment the older had landed her palms on the young one's arm a glowing light exudes from the tip of her fingers. Slowly wrapping the bruised child's body with the warm light. The injuries acquired— began healing on their own. Patching the kid. "H-how did you do that!?" The kid asks, feeling the sting all over her body subside. The stranger asks her to stand, and it was a miracle. Her body felt light, and even her scars healed themselves, revealing a smooth and glowing tanned skin. 

 

"All done." The peasant's astonished expression greeted the stranger after she was done fixing the kid. "Who are you?" The peasant queries, still with a bewildered look. The stranger smiled before placing a hand directly on to the child's forehead, and in an instant the peasant felt her eyes growing heavy until her vision started blurring and, a few seconds later, she was knocked half unconscious.

 

"You may not know me, but I know you. Yujin." The stranger stated. Before the child named Yujin completely drifted to dreamland.

 

 

 


+

 

 

 

"Unnie! Wake up! We need to go to the marketplace!" Wonyoung— Yujin's younger sister shouted from outside their small house. The younger has been up since dawn, fetching water for their bedridden mother. 

 

"Yah! Wake up you lazy bones!" Wonyoung again reprimanded, stepping inside their shared bedroom. The moment she laid her eyes on her sister, her orbs shifted from reprimanding to worrying when she saw the older staring blankly at a golden pendant dangling from a silver thread that was hanging at their improvised cloth hook. "Unnie." The younger called, soft. As if her older sister is like a fragile glass that she needs to handle with care.

 

Yujin whipped her head towards Wonyoung and a surprised look has taken over her face. Wonyoung could not hide the giggle and began walking closer to her sister, snuggling beside the older as if giving comfort which was welcomed by Yujin with open arms. "Did you have that dream again?" Wonyoung asks, poking Yujin's cheeks. The older giggled and nodded while averting her gaze back to the necklace. "I know mama doesn't believe me, but I know for sure, what I have been through that day was not just a figure of my imagination." Yujin states, definite.

 

After a few more looks, Wonyoung began pushing her body to a sitting position in front of Yujin. She gave the older a warm smile before pointing the door with her thumb while the rest of her fingers are clenched on her palms. "I believe you unnie, but we got to go. The roosters have been singing for like an hour already." Yujin scoffs at her sibling and started pushing her body out of bed while Wonyoung prepared the woven bags filled with mushrooms that they would be selling into the marketplace.

 

Yujin once again gazed at the necklace. It has been exactly 9 years since that incident happened. The King gave bounty to whomever could find the culprit of the massacre, yet a year came by and none had reported anything peculiar. Yujin knew what exactly happened, but her mother would always convince her it was just a dream— that she was probably so shocked with the events that unfolded; that she mistook herself being in that situation. Even so, the now young maiden is still convinced that it was a creature who had glowing lights coming out of her hands; whom was the culprit. After all, she had an evidence, it was that necklace. Never has she seen it until that day; yet her mother insisted it was a family heirloom. 

 

"Unnie! Are you ready?" Wonyoung shouted, which interrupted Yujin's train of thought. She answered her sibling with a shout to give her a few more seconds. After changing her tunic made of rags, Yujin came out of their room, washed her face before grabbing a medium length stick that they both use as their protection when they are at the marketplace. Putting her worn out lumpy footwear. The two began their one hour walk to Cordova's busiest street, Gustus. 


Meanwhile in Gustus...

 

"Nako! What time is it!?" a maiden with long light auburn hair. Shooting out of her bed, immediately scrambling in her closet as if her life depends on it. Frustrated when she got no answer. The maiden ran towards the opposite door, out her room. Continuously banging it like there was an upcoming war. "Minjoo! Keep it down! It's so early! Let me sleep!" a voice from inside the opposite room snarled, yet the woman named Minjoo continues her deafening slams at the poor wooden door. Soon the door flung open, and Minjoo who clearly didn't have the time to stop her aggressive hits at the door, unintentionally slams her closed fists atop the head of the opposite room's owner. The small woman named Nako hissed at the pain and instantaneously crouched down, placing her hand at the crown of her head. Horror invaded Minjoo's expression while continuously begging for forgiveness from the latter. Yet her beseeching fell on deaf ears, when Nako stood. Eyes burning in anger and a fist clenched until her palms turn white. 

 

"Now, you've done it. You loud toad!" Nako fumes, her footing weighing heavily, making the acacia floor creak at every step. Minjoo gulp, She tried to appease with Nako, yet the shorter had no more room for civil discourse. Instead, Nako pounces on Minjoo like a predatory animal. The taller lost her footing and immediately fell— bottom first; wincing at the slight pain, due to collision; the taller had her guard dismantled— giving Nako an ample time to take revenge by pulling at the taller's ear. "You frog! Do you know what time I slept last night because you kept working over time!?" Nako spits, while forcing Minjoo who continuously spams the word "ouch"— to stand on her feet; her upper body bended down to compliment Nako's height. "Nako-ya! I'm sorry. I didn't mean it. It was an accident." Minjoo continued to spill her excuses which made Nako more irritated than she already is.

 

After a few more ear-pulling and nagging, Nako let Minjoo off, but not without another glare and a pointing finger. "Another knock and I will send you back to Goldor, and let your father marry you off!" the shorter warned, which Minjoo gulp at. It has been 4 years since she fled from her marriage to work as a cobbler at her bestfriend's small shop in Cordova, and yes— you've guessed it right. It was Nako who was Minjoo's best friend. 

 

"I'm really sorry Nako. It was just..." Minjoo pauses, which earned Nako's attention. The shorter soften at the sight of her fiddling best friend. That may not have been the best morning, yet threatening Minjoo to be sent back to her family seems a bit to harsh even for Nako. The shorter sigh, running her fingers through her blonde locks. "Im sorry Min, I wasn't serious about sending you back. It was just...you hit my head pretty hard." Nako chuckles. Holding both hands of the taller. "So? Why were you slamming at my door, this early?" The blonde queries, looking straight into Minjoo's orbs. "Well, I perhaps forgot to tell you last night that we run out of materials and Chaeyeon would be traveling to Gremory today; with her partner, so delivery is not an option. Another thing is...We run out of Milk so we have to make a detour at Lyren for that, too." Minjoo explained, before averting her gaze away from Nako. She knows fully well that Nako will be giving her another nagging, yet it never came. Instead, Nako sigh exasperatedly. "Once we get back. You'll be in charge of feeding the horses, and cleaning their stables for a week!" The blonde stated, firm. While walking back into her room and headed straight towards her closet. "What are you standing there for? Go prepare yourself!" Without further ado, Minjoo rushes back to her room and began scrambling for decent clothes to wear.

 

 


+

 

 

 

"Why do I need to feed and clean these rascals! We have Ark to do it." Minjoo whines as she scrubs the floor of the stables. She and Nako had just returned from their tiring trip from Chaeyeon's place at the foot of the Treshian Alps and their unexpected detour at Lyren.

Nako scoffs at her best friend and peaks her head from the stall next to where Minjoo was scrubbing. "I will not summon Ark, this is punishment for you because you've been irresponsible." The blonde stated, getting back inside the stall and sit in her personally crafted wooden chair while flipping a book. Minjoo pouted at Nako's firm statement before splashing the soap water into the stable's floor and scrub some more. 

 

 


+

 

 


Gustus has always been the busiest street in Cordova ever since the King had made it the center of business. Any kind of business possible can be seen in this street and at this very place is where Yujin and Wonyoung would usually sell the fruits and some decorative stones they got from the forest near their house. Usually, they would have enough to sell until they get their desired amount, but these past few months— the forest had been lacking resources, and today the only thing the siblings could sell are a bunch of dried mushrooms and a few piles of firewood. It has been tough for the two, especially with their mother's condition declining day by day. The money they get from selling the firewoods cannot suffice their daily needs.

 

"Unnie! You are spacing out again." Wonyoung grab Yujin's attention while she tried her best to count the gems from their previous customer.

 

Cordova is a wealthy city and gold in this place is only equivalent to iron. They are nothing. The main currency in this thriving place are gems. Mined from the Northern Alps of Fraggen. Humanity has made gems their everlasting currency.

 

"Are you still struggling with counting?" Yujin chuckles, taking the gems off of Wonyoung's hands. The younger pouted and crossed her arms. "It's not like I'm struggling. It's just hard to tell how much each is." Wonyoung defended, looking at the gems piled in Yujin's hands. 

 

After a few more hours of eagerly selling their products. The two sighed in disappointment. They only got 150 gems, which is equivalent to a week's worth of their mother's medicine. "Guess we have to live by mushrooms again." Wonyoung jokes, trying to hold a tear threatening to fall on her pretty face. Yujin agreed, but her face show all the disappointment. "Hey, Wony. You go home first. I need to do something." Yujin stated which Wonyoung frowns upon. 

 

The younger knew quite well that Yujin is thinking of stealing again, which Wonyoung didn't have any choice but to turn a blind eye on. Their mother had always taught them that stealing is a crime, but the life they are having had force both of them to take on the dirty path. Looking into Yujin's determined eyes, Wonyoung gave her sibling an understanding smile before patting her on the shoulder. The older knew Wonyoung would be silent about what she was planning and gave Wonyoung a nod. "Okay, unnie. Don't get caught." The younger whispered, playful. Yet a hint of concern was too obvious for Yujin to not notice. The older again nods, but this time she remove Wonyoung's hand on her shoulder and began walking away. "What a tragic life we live in." Wonyoung breathed, before walking the opposite path Yujin had taken. Going back to their little home near the forest.

 

 


+

 

 

 

As Yujin tries to spot her potential prey yet the tall lass, due to her exhaustion and hunger, tripped at a small pebble. "What a very unlucky day." Yujin sighed, pushing herself back on to her feet. She began patting the dust off her tunic, until she realizes something off about her shoes. The sole had a small gap, and suddenly her plans to pick pockets came to an end. She hunch down, low to the ground and began sniffling like a kid. "Now how would we eat for the rest of the week." She thought. With a pained expression painted on her face, tears began falling uncontrollably. But to little does she know, someone had seen her from a few meters away.

 

"Joo! Where's the leather!?" Nako shouted at Minjoo who was outside the store sweeping. Aside from cleaning the horses and stables, Nako also added some chores in her lists of punishments. "I put it at the top shelf of our étagère, inside the storage room." Minjoo shouted, while her eyes glued themselves on a certain peasant crouching at the side of the road. Feeling curious, the maiden approaches the young lass and crouches beside her. "Hey, are you hungry?" Minjoo asked innocently, yet what greeted her gave a tug inside her heart. The lass has her face wet with tears, a few drops of snot peeking from her nose and eyes puffy and red. "Good heavens! What happened to you!?" Minjoo panics, inspecting the latter's arm for bruises or anything that could have caused pain for the crouching peasant, yet she could not find anything, not even a scratch.

 

The cobbler scratches her head before sparing another look at the peasant. "Joo! Come here!" A loud voice roared from inside the shop. It was Nako, and if Minjoo's calculations were right— the call was for another set of nagging. Without further thinking the maiden stood up on her feet, giving one last glance at the peasant before jogging back inside their shop.


"What is it?" Minjoo muses as soon as one of her feet entered the shop door. Nako only gestured her to come close. "What in the world are you doing?" Minjoo asked while staring straight at the blonde girl whose inspecting an old book. "I now have the perfect recipe for that concoction!" Nako jumps in glee. Minjoo looked at her in all confusion. Her arms crossed with a crease seemingly visible on her forehead. "Concoction for what?" the taller asked, her sight not leaving Nako even just for a bit. Yet Nako did not answer instead she asked Minjoo to travel back to Chaeyeon's place in the Thresian Alps to get the things she needs. "Okay, fine. But can you give me more gems. I'm almost out." Minjoo states while patting the pockets of her pants. Yet she can't seem to find her pouch. She started pacing while Nako only look at her. Biting on her nails, she wracks her head to find answers to where she had put her pouch until it hits her. The face of the peasant earlier came to her mind and instantly she had connected the dots. "Im so dumb!" Minjoo ruffled her hair zooming out of the shop leaving Nako befuddled.

 

 


+

 

 


"This can feed us for the whole month!" Yujin cheers, counting the gems inside the pouch she was holding. 

 

Earlier when a nice young woman came up to her, it was true that she had lost all the chances to pick pockets and run, but then again she found a chance to steal at the woman who pitied her. It would be a lie if she said that she did not feel sorry for the young maiden. Yet what could she do? It's between her family's growling stomach or that pretty lady who probably has a stable job and can easily earn back those stolen gems.

 

While skipping down the outskirts of Cordova, Yujin felt something wrong. Her usual walk suddenly felt like it was taking forever, and the road seems to be going in circles, like an endless loop. With fear that she might have actually lost her way on the path she was all too familiar with. She took a naturally pointed stone and carve something at a nearby tree and left. After a few more minutes of walking she spotted the tree and the mark she left.

 

Scared to the core. Yujin ran towards the opposite direction in an attempt to return back to the marketplace. Yet nothing seems to be working. She kept on going in circles. "What the hell is happening?" The scared lass muses trying to tighten her grasp at the pouch she stole.

 

From the dark side of the forest a gust of strong wind blew straight to her position, and again it felt wrong. Instead of cold air, the wind felt hot. As if it was dying to burn her to the ground. By then, the horrified lass begged on her knees. With cold sweat trickling down from her forehead. Her eyes began averting it's gazes everywhere. "I'm sorry. Please, if it was because of this pouch. Im deeply sorry. I was desperate. My mother is sick, and we do not have money for food. The forest near our house, they have been barren for months." Yujin pleaded, her head held low while trying not to sob in desperation.

 

"Man! I was just gonna scare you a bit, but if you'll be like that. I can't possibly laugh at you." A woman suddenly spoke from a nearby bush. Yujin held her head up trying to look at the place where the voice came from and there she got to see the woman from earlier. Shock was evident at the young peasant's face, and a few seconds later she gave out a guilty look. "Im sorry. I didn't mean to..." Yujin was cut off by the woman. "Is it true that you only did this because you do not have any other choices?" Yujin nods. Trying to hold her tears in, at the sudden warm tone from the latter. The woman bore a soft smile after the confirmation from the latter. She then took the chance to sit in front of the kneeling lass, crossing her limbs at each other like a child. "I'm Minjoo" The lass introduced after getting comfortable sitting on the ground. Yujin's eyes were filled with bewilderment, yet she still introduced herself for she doesn't want to come out as rude. "Yujin...hmm, what a cool name. Either ways, you said you were just desperate right?" Yujin again nods and Minjoo who looks like a light bulb had just lit up her head grins like a sinister villain which the latter could only gulp at.


Meanwhile at Yujin's humble abode near the forest...

 

"Wonyoung. Where is Yujin?" A woman whom is as pale as snow asked the younger, worried of the fact that her daughter hasn't returned yet. 

 

Wonyoung on the other hand only shrugs her shoulder while taking a glass of water and a concoction to feed their sickly mother. After the woman had taken her medicine. The after effects of the concoction made her nauseas which forced her to take a rest and stop pestering Wonyoung about her other daughter.

 

Looking at their sleeping mother. Wonyoung sighed in relief caressing the woman's graying locks. Staring straight into her mother's pale face, tears started to well on her eyes, sniffles began echoing inside their small home. "If only I weren't a girl, Father wouldn't have left us." Wonyoung whispered underneath her sniffles.

 

 


+

 

 


"Oh! Minjoo! Thank God you're back!" Nako muses climbing down from the shop's attic. The blonde had been waiting for Minjoo ever since the latter zoomed out of their shop without a word. "So, Min...wait, who's that?" Nako was about to tell something but a tall figure took her attention. 

Behind Minju, a long bob haired lass peeked it's head at the side. Nako became curious and gave Minjoo a squint. Auburn haired lass could only reply a nervous giggle against Nako's questioning looks. 

 

"Who are you?" Nako, knowing Minjoo would not answer her truthfully directed the question on to the tall lass. "I-Im Yujin, Minjoo said you need an assistant here so she hired me." Nako smiled charmingly at Yujin before excusing herself while dragging Minjoo with her at the furthest corner of the shop leaving Yujin to look at the shop's interior. 

 

While Yujin began looking at the products inside the shop. She couldn't keep her eyes away at a certain pair of shoes that was displayed at the center of the room. It was a black leather boot decorated with gold linings. She continued to inspect it not minding the two women who were huddled at the corner as if plotting something sinister.

 

"Seriously? Minjoo. She's human! We can't trust her!" Nako spits low trying her best not to raise her voice for Yujin to not hear. Minjoo knows Nako will oppose to this yet she continue to persuade the latter and even pledge accountability if ever Yujin does something wrong. Nako knew it was futile to argue with someone who wouldn't listen, so Nako agreed half-heartedly. "Remember your promise or else, I will seriously ask your father to pick you up and let you be wedded." Nako warned with her arms crossed and a straight stoic face. 

 

"Okay, Yujin. Since you are here I need you to get me this." Nako immediately uttered after walking from the corner to where the tall lass was standing. Taking the piece of paper Yujin struggled to read what was written. "Don't you know how to read?" Minjoo asks, trying to make her tone as soft as possible to not offend the taller. Yujin shook her head and looked at the two women in front of her. "I-I know how to read. But, it's a different language." Nako and Minjoo looked at each other with confusion. All their lives had been dedicated to jumping from one place to the other but never once did they hear Humanity speaking of a different language. "Different? How come?" Nako tried to squeeze out, yet Yujin couldn't answer. "Pardon? But doesn't humanity have different languages. That was what my mother told me." Nako averted her gaze on Minjoo who has the same dumbfounded look painted on her beautiful face. Neither of the two spouted anything, instead Nako took her time to think while Minjoo was staring into oblivion, trying to put senses on what Yujin has been talking about.

 

"Uhm… I-Is everything okay?" Yujin muses her voice sounding a bit uncomfortable at the sudden silent approach from the two. Nako spared a glance at Minjoo before opening , only to close it again. Both women are thinking hard about Yujin's statement. Lucky enough the shop door's bell rang— a sign that a new customer has arrived, and immediately Nako and Minjoo scrambled back to their designated spot to welcome the client. Yujin watched from the side as the two women accommodated their guest with ease and in a blink of an eye a satisfied customer had walked out of the door— smile reaching from ear to ear. 

 

"Okay! Now back to Yu..." Nako was cut off on the things she was about to say when Yujin's sparkling eyes suddenly greeted her not more than 12 centimeters away. The shorter took a couple of seconds before realizing their close proximity— pushing Yujin away, out of impulse.

 

"Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to..." Yujin tried to apologize yet Nako already hushed her with a finger pressed against her lips. "Don't do that again, or I might actually zap you into a pitcher plant." Nako warned before sighing and facing Minjoo with a glare, she then took the paper she had given Yujin earlier, crumpled it and threw it to Minjoo's direction. "Get that for me. Also, bring the newbie with you. So she'll know where we get supplies" Minjoo salutes, her smile wider than the break of dawn while agreeing to Nako's request.

 

 


+

 

 


From a distance, a sound of a moving cart and giggles resonated in the vast plain, on the way to the Thresian Alps. 

 

Yujin and Minjoo had begun their travel towards Chaeyeon's humble abode for the supplies Nako requested, and during their little trip; the two began talking about their lives but mostly it was Yujin who was doing the talking. Telling her life story and how she had gone by even if their household almost fell into ruins. Minjoo admired the mutual understanding and love in the younger's household, that suddenly it left a bitter taste in . 

 

The family Yujin has was what Minjoo had always wished for. Caring, loving, understanding. Yet that could never happen, especially for her who came from a blood line of monarchy. Influence and power is everything. Love, care? None of that mattered in Minjoo's world until she got fed up and escaped home. Hiding from her father until she met Nako in Liass, and from then on she became free, but she had always wondered how it would feel like to have a family that cared and loved you through thick and thin.

 

Yujin had stopped her stories when she notices Minjoo's sudden silence. The taller faked a cough to try and catch Minjoo's attention and luckily it worked. "Unnie. Is there something wrong?" The taller asked, worried. Minjoo only gave a smile and a nod before averting her gaze at the landscape around them to change the topic and alas she found a good one. "Look at that, over there." Minjoo pointed with her puckered lips. From afar stands a great and majestic tree, yet there is no sign of life nor blooming. Only a withered trunk with branches having no single leaf. "What's with that withered tree?" Yujin asked innocently which Minjoo bitterly smiled at. "Long ago, that tree was once thriving with life. It had this lively glow that could give ease at the heart of anyone whoever gets to see it. But after the Great Hunt. It never bloomed again, it is also said that under that tree, elves that protected it were slaughtered. An old rumor goes that the reason for its withering was because of the blood that spilt on its very land. Blood of innocents that soiled the pure ground." 

 

Yujin listens attentively while eyeing the great tree. Now that she had thought of it, elves has always been in the folklores of the people in the market, and they were always portrayed as vicious and inhumane. "Hey unnie, in your story just now. Humans are bad, yet why are the stories in the market place different?" The young lass asked, which Minjoo chuckled with a hint of pain. "What you have heard on that place were from the humans' re-telling of the story. In all factly, Long time ago Faustina was ruled by creatures with magic. Everyone lived in harmony, surviving and walking amongst different races, yet humans. They were the vicious ones. They disrupted the peace because of their selfish strive for power and ruling. Elves and creatures with magic are all peaceful beings yet humans, they are impure and jealous. They thought other creatures were laughing behind their backs yet in all actuality, none of those were true. Peace has always been the priority of everyone, but things didn't go that way. Humans...they are all selfish, They only think about themselves. They never wanted peace. All they ever wanted was power. They wanted to stand on top and be put up on a pedestal." Minjoo clenched at the rope that was tied around their horse's girth— palms turning white, while veins became visible on her dorsal side.

 

Yujin took notice of this, as her full attention was into Minjoo's ever since the older began her stories. "Unnie...Are you..." Yujin was about to roll out an innocent and harmless question, unfortunately their carriage stopped and Minjoo hurriedly climb down.

 

Yujin's attention was taken from Minjoo to a young lass who was wearing a brown cloak and a bright smile plastered on her face. "Minmin! Good to see you back so soon." The young lass with hazelnut hair muses putting down the woods she was carrying when Minjoo approached her. Yujin held her gaze at the two women who has been chatting for quite a while, feeling bored she tried to play with the ropes of the horses yet a scream suddenly echoed in the area, and the tall young lass fell unconscious.

 

 


+

 

 

The clicking sound coming from a mortar and pestle woke Yujin from her unconscious state. Opening her eyes— assortment of flowers, leaves, and plants could be seen hanging from a tight rope that spreads from one end of the room to the other. Scanning the whole floor with her droopy eyes, a sudden pungent aroma puts a punch in her senses. The half awake lass suddenly widens her eyes while instinctively blocking her nose from inhaling the intense odor.

 

Gaining a hold back on all her senses, the young lass stood on both her feet and began searching for Minjoo and lucky enough, the woman she was looking for was just at the room next door. 

 

"Ryeong is it almost done?" Minjoo questioned, while tying her hair up with a piece of band she found inside her pocket. 

 

"Unnie..." Yujin horned in, fiddling at her tunic. Minjoo smiled at her while gesturing to her to come closer. The woman beside Minjoo also greeted her with a smile while she politely welcomed her. "Min, I almost forgot. Who is she?" The latter ask which Minjoo grins. "Does our Chaeryeong find her attractive enough to ask her name?" Chaeryeong widens her eyes as if she could not believe what rolled out of Minjoo's mouth. She opened and close it the moment words could not seem to cooperate with her. "Looks like it's true, huh!" The Auburn haired continued to teases and Chaeryeong shuts her up with a loud pound on the mortar that Yujin thought would break because of the force. "My lovely customer, please refrain from speaking nonsense, or I might send you out to get this items at Gremory." Minjoo gulped at the sudden threat and gave a nervous giggle at Chaeryeong who then faced Yujin. "I must say, you are good looking, but I'm sure I have seen your face somewhere. Yet I could not remember it. You seriously look...familiar." Chaeryeong stops blending the plants and begins wracking her head on where she had prior seen the tall lass in front of her. On the other hand, Minjoo couldn't easily let go of teasing the latter which ended her into getting kicked out of the room leaving Chaeryeong irritated.

 

In all actuality, Minjoo, Chaeryeong, Nako and Chaeyeon had known each other for hundreds of years now. The four of them are descendants of high profile magic users. Minjoo, from the Kingdom of Goldor at the other side of the world. It's a hidden place that only elves could enter. Yes, Minjoo came from a bloodline of Elf Monarchs, and as funny as it may seem— Minjoo is capable of handling a country from all those training her family have given her. Next is Nako, the small yet fierce co-owner of the shoe shop. Nako also came from a great lineage. More so, she came from royalties. She is the second princess of Arlon. Another hidden kingdom in the continent of Alphos, and her race. More or less her height could tell it. She's a fairy. Lastly is Chaeryeong and Chaeyeon. The two are biological sisters that look perfectly normal, yet they hide the biggest secrets. The two are from a line of pure blooded mages that were first eliminated by the Great Hunt. Luckily their mother had kept them safe until her dying breath and the two had learned to live side by side as ordinary humans. 

 

After getting sent out. Minjoo glared at the closed door and she remembered that Yujin was left with an angry mage inside. Suddenly the auburn haired panic and banged at the door like there's no tomorrow yet there was no response. Fearing for Yujin, Minjoo drops her facade, uncovering her long pointed ears, her golden blonde hair and her magenta colored eyes. Ready to cast a spell at the door the elf began chanting old elven language building up the momentum when suddenly the door flung open and a click was heard. "The time stopped?" Minjoo thought before averting her gaze into the person at the door. There stands Chaeryeong with a glare and a head shaking in displease. "Seriously? Min. You really thought I would hurt this human? Come on. I'm not that low. Also, are you insane!? Are you planning to bust our cover!? Im too young to die!" Chaeryeong exaggerated while shaking Minjoo by the shoulder. The elf only chuckled before regaining

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter