Chapter 2 |

Back in Time to You |

The ballroom door opened suddenly in the middle of the Q&A, and she entered just like that like a surprising breeze on a warm summer night. 

Lucas stared at the stranger ahead. She looked equally lost.

But before anyone could react, the reporters had already stood up and started taking tons of pictures. 

"Is she his rumoured girlfriend? Some juicy news today? Exclusive scoops?“ the reporters started speculating while not forgetting the shutters. 

"Lucas! Is she your girlfriend? Do you intend to introduce her to the public on the day of your new book release?" One male reporter shouted towards the stage.

"Is this a surprise event?" Another one added. 

Lucas stared at these people in disbelief. He was this close to leaving. 

"How did the security let her in?!" he angst muttered under his breath and his manager beside him quickly gestured the security guards to get her out.

The method, however, was just a little, well, unsightly.

The girl struggled and waved her arms in the air while the two guards dragged her out and to his surprise, she even lifted a leg in his direction.

Lucas watched this girl with a whole look of bewilderment but also amazed at how she was just...this...one of a kind.

"I'm sorry Lucas, we don't even know how she got in." Mark was back to his side, feeling apologetic towards this poor girl. He was sure he didn't mean for them to drag her out like this.  

Lucas sighed loudly and said, "I told you we don't need a press conference. Look what happened. Tell my uncle I'm never having this press conference again. I'm already bringing him enough revenue. His company is already revived."

In fact, Mark was more worried for poor Lucas at this moment. He was anxious about what kind of articles these imaginative press were going to write, again.

 

Lucas Wong, twenty years old, the first book he wrote made it to the top of the nation's best-seller for Sci-Fi fictions. He was the youngest writer in the nation to achieve this feat, particularly, the time-travel genre.

Not just that, he broke the headlines for his good looks too. Branded the most handsome fiction writer, he was blessed with good features and after a successful first book release, his fanbase was already in the millions and still growing.

His first book was already in talks to be translated into different other languages to be released in other parts of the world. This level of popularity was easily comparable to KPOP idols of his age. Except that, he didn't like this amount of attention he was getting. Because, with great popularity, also comes a huge loss of personal freedom and privacy.

His publishing company had specially prepared this press conference for his newest science fiction release: Parallel Universe. Even before the official book release, they already had groundbreaking preorder sales. This was also the main reason his uncle, also the CEO of the publishing company, wanted him to have this press conference to answer the public's curiosity and to gain more publicity. After all, Lucas was their best selling author and he's also family. Lucas practically hard carried the entire dying company. 

"Mr Lucas! Can you tell us more about that girl earlier?" Some stubborn reporter from the first row shouted with a raised hand. 

"Actually, everyone, the incident earlier was an entire misunderstanding. The lady from earlier was a member of the public whom we have no relations to. We apologise to everyone for the interruption to our press conference and please refrain from asking questions unrelated to Mr Lucas' new book." The event emcee took the mic quickly in an attempt to shift the curious crowd's attention. 

Thankfully, the reporters' quickly began asking questions related to his new book.

”Mr Lucas, will you ever consider writing any books of the romance genre?" 

"Not at the moment," Lucas answered rather calmly. Mainly because he didn't start writing fiction to appeal to those romance fanatics. This particular genre was never his starting point and it was also never his forte.

"Do you think you will ever venture into other genres other than Sci-Fi or Time Travel?" Another asked. 

"I will consider," Lucas answered vaguely but actually what they didn't know, was that after this book, he had been in a slumber. He wanted to start a new book but till now, he couldn't pen anything down. He was anything but happy about his situation. 

He was angry at his lack of inspiration though his uncle was totally fine. He just thought that his uncle was way up on cloud nine with all the money he was bringing in. 

His gaze swept across the floor and past the ballroom entrance. He blinked, twice, because, for a very brief moment, he thought he'd saw that girl again.

He frowned in puzzlement at his own mind playing tricks on his eyes. 

"What in the world..?"