Chapter 1 | Parallel Universe

Back in Time to You |

Haejin would never have imagined, that one day, in her twenty-eight years of life, she would be dragged out of an event hall, by two strong security guards before an entire group of reporters with blinding camera flashes. 

"SIR! I told you already! I didn't mean to! It was a total misunderstanding! A MISUNDERSTANDING! And I can walk on my own okay, you don't have to drag me by my armpits!" 

Yes, how unfortunate. She was merely here in this 5-star hotel to attend a high school reunion dinner, organized by the cockiest, the popular and crazy rich girl - Hong Soo-Ah, from her batch.

And yes, this crazy-rich girl's dad is the owner of this 5-star hotel group. She was also the one that bullied her for 3 whole years in high school.

And yes again, she obviously ended up in the wrong ballroom instead of the intended ballroom she was supposed to appear in. 

As she was dragged out heartlessly by the two unforgiving security guards, she deeply regretted agreeing to come for this obviously not just a simple reunion dinner. 

Before she was dragged out of the door, she caught another glimpse of that young man in the corner of the room. He stared at her with the same shock and horrified look. She kicked her right foot out of anger in his direction hoping he could see how angry she was in this moment. 

The guards dragged her all the way out of the hotel entrance and asked her to leave immediately. Of course, she tried to get back inside but the doormen were rather firm and successful in keeping her out. 

After a few futile tries, Haejin walked to a bench at the side of the main entrance and sat there frustratingly. When she stopped moving, she realised the sharp pains from the back of her heels and toes. For this dinner meeting, she'd totally bought a new pair of expensive heels and dress. 

When a long limousine stopped before her, from the shiny and glossy reflection of the car she noticed how tattered she looked in this moment. Her nicely done hair was now loose and her barefoot looked way too pathetic beside these shiny silver heels.

She leaned tiredly against the bench and closed her eyes. 

What happened? I was sure I entered the correct hotel. I followed the signs correctly and it was the correct ballroom - Level 3 - 001 Ballroom. How did I end up in some live press conference event?

Her eyes flew opened and she checked her phone at once. She didn't recall dropping it or whatever not but the screen was flickering like there was some static interference. Amidst all these crazy flickerings, she caught a glimpse of a notification pop-up from the News App; 2020 Rare Wolf-Star Comet Sighting... Then, the screen went dead. 

"C'mon! Not now..." She frowned dejectedly. Her battery had died at this moment. She couldn't enter the hotel, she couldn't attend the dinner. She bet her cocky ex-classmate had more things to say about her again just like those days in high school that she wanted to forget so badly. 

Just as she was giving up and ready to go home, a door opened beside her, just around the corner. A banquet staff walked out with a bag of garbage, the door left opened. 

"Nows my chance!" 

And as crazy as it sounded, she took it. 

She ran her fingers through her hair as she walked through the staff corridor. Hotel staffs who walked past her gave her weird looks but no one really took notice of her thinking that she was just another staff perhaps. 

She let out a small laugh under her breathe. 

"A 5-star hotel but security is this bad..."

It didn't take her long to found an exit to the ballrooms. Quickly, she found the washroom and rearranged herself. Then with a confident smile, she practized in the mirror, she made her way back to Level 3 - 001. 

She frowned when she saw the same security guards at the entrances. From afar, she could hear the loud camera shutters and someone speaking in the mic. She checked the level again. She even went up a level and then down a level to make sure she was right. 

And indeed, she was. She was where she was supposed to be but also not where she was supposed to be. 

She stood behind a pillar and peek towards the said ballroom again. Whatever that was going on in there, was definitely not her high school reunion dinner. 

She was dumbfounded, puzzled and even became angry that Soo-Ah probably played a trick on her. But it was impossible because she had checked and double-checked and earlier she saw a few of her high school classmates enter this hotel and another thing struck her. She checked the directory and XXX High School Reunion Dinner was there next to 3-001 Ballroom. 

Disbelieve, she walked to the large ballroom event directory again and searched for that name again. She couldn't believe her eyes. 

"3-001 Ballroom: Lucas Wong's "Parallel Universe" 2015 novel release press conference."

???

2015??

Her eyes darted to the date at the top of the event directory board and in a long breath -  25 January, 2015.

"2015???!! What kind of sick joke is this?!" 

She took out her phone in confusion only to be left staring at a black screen. 

Her eyes darted around, searching for some other proof that it was just a mistake on the directory, she found some event banners and they only further confirmed that something crazy and unbelievable had indeed happened - She had travelled back in time, 5 years into the past.