Prey vs Prey

When the Huntress became the Hunted
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Thank you for reading and the reviews, so I just wanted to give warnings in case people don’t want to read about certain things, particularly if and when I need to detail certain scenes so I will put M rating in case, for certain chapters and that should be fine, I hope. This chapter will be a more Seulgi heavy chapter though, so please enjoy


 

Kang Seulgi was an artist.

 

She didn’t want to go as far and say she was a tortured artist, but then again, perhaps on some level she was a bit of a tortured artist, with paintbrush in hand, Seulgi dipped the brush into a purple-ish mixture on the accompanying pallet as she stood staring at the blank canvas, all she needed to do was paint. The only trouble is lately she hasn’t been inspired to do so, and the artist worries it might have something to do with her other form of expression. It has been weeks now since her last job came in, and that’s weeks too long when you have pent up frustration that needed to be expressed. Seulgi turns on the television in the spare room of the apartment she lives in and goes to the news.

 

“Still no leads yet on the young heiress murdered in her apartment, police seem to think there are possible suspects…”

 

Seulgi sighs and shuts off the television, are people that stupid? Do they really think her brilliant and precise work is that of more than one person. No, Kang Seulgi works alone, thank you. Still, she supposes it’s not the worst thing in the world to never be appreciated for her art, the way she leaves the victim with a signature of some kind, something to show she’s been there. Her boss said there would be a party soon that she had to attend, and though her boss said it would be for fun. Seulgi knew better it had to be for a reason, someone probably had a contract on their head, and needed to be dealt with. Seulgi normally doesn’t ask too many questions when she gets a job. Other than the obvious, who’s the target, why are they to die, and what is her incentive to do this job. Extra cash, fancy clothes, cool cars? Though Seulgi admits she cares less and less about the extra perks these days.

 

“But the fashion is forever.” She thinks to herself and finally paints a line across the blank canvas. 

 

Lately, there has been someone else on her mind. Someone else she can’t stop thinking about, and it’s not only because Bae Joohyun is the most beautiful woman she has ever seen, no it was much more than that. There was something about her that resonated within Seulgi, though she could not yet put her finger on it, but there was something. Seulgi can still remember the first time they sat down to actually talk, Joohyun had invited her to a cafe, and truth be told Seulgi was late because of a job. She remembered being more worried about possible blood stains left on her clothes, more so than meeting the woman herself, but Seulgi never leaves a mess, not usually. 

 

(Flashback)

 

Seulgi was running late, and though she didn’t necessarily like to keep people waiting, this time she had no choice. She hoped Joohyun wouldn’t be too upset with her, or worse case scenario she might have already left the cafe. She noticed the beautiful dark-haired woman sitting at a lone table with a mug of tea in her hand. To Seulgi it was like a picture perfect moment, one she took in her mind to perhaps sketch a picture of Joohyun later.

 

“Sorry I’m late, Ms. Bae.” Seulgi remembers to be polite. One must always be polite when in the company of strangers, and should never let them get a hint of what’s actually lurking under the surface. Fortunately, for Seulgi she knows she has a somewhat innocent look about her, despite her attractive face. And on more than one occasion she has used that innocent look to her advantage, it’s worked out well so far. “Were you waiting long?”

 

Joohyun insists to her that she hadn’t been waiting long and tells Seulgi to sit. The monolid woman doesn’t think she’s ever been to this cafe, and while she’s scanning the menu for anything that sounds particularly interesting or tasty. She can feel Joohyun’s eyes on her, those pretty big brown eyes are analyzing her in a way that doesn’t necessarily make Seulgi uncomfortable. She is used to being analyzed and observed, this is no different. Or perhaps it is a bit different because Joohyun isn’t analyzing her to see how she will react under pressure, or how she will approach her target for a job, or even if she will be able to distinguish which poison will kill someone the fastest. This isn’t anything like that.

 

“She is interested in me.” Seulgi thinks to herself, bringing her mug of coffee to her lips.

 

“What do you do for a living, Seulgi?”

 

Joohyun was certainly interested in her if she’s asking about her job. Seulgi smiles with eyes forming crescent shapes.

 

“Office manager.” The first words that come out of . “And you’re some sort of psychologist, right?”

 

At least that’s what she knows of Joohyun. The only reason they even met in the first place was because of a party that took place at an art museum. Joohyun seemed to have been invited, Seulgi was just being a plus one to her boss, and of course she had someone that needed killing that night too. Not that Joohyun had any idea that was the real reason why she was there, because Seulgi played polite and unassuming well. The next thing Seulgi knows Joohyun is asking if she would like any dessert to go with her coffee. Seulgi personally has a sweet tooth, a huge sweet tooth, and then points to the chocolate cake in a way that probably looks adorable to the other woman, which this time she wasn’t even intentionally doing. Seulgi looks up at the raven and thinks the way the light hits her face, almost like a camera catching all the angles, makes her think Bae Joohyun is the most beautiful woman she has ever seen. She wanted to know more.

 

(End)


 

There was one problem though, or maybe not even really a problem. Seulgi might even use it to her advantage when it comes to Joohyun.

 

“She thinks I am some sort of idiot.”

 

Not really an idiot, no. But Seulgi could tell just from how Joohyun looks at her and speaks to her that she thinks she’s got her in the bag, pretty much. Joohyun thinks of herself as some sort of alpha , and in truth she might be that alpha sort of woman. However, Bae Joohyun isn’t ready for her, and hasn’t met anyone like her in her life, that much Seulgi is sure of. The monolid woman thinks this could be fun, whatever little entanglement they find themselves in. Joohyun might be able to keep up with her, in a manner of speaking. There is already something exciting about her, and how she makes Seulgi feel. 

 

Another line goes across the canvas, then another, and finally Seulgi feels like she has gotten her rhythm. Art has always been a way Seulgi could express herself, a talent she found she had since a young child, in a way it was a talent that led her to discovering she had another type of talent. Sometimes when Seulgi holds a palette knife in her hand, she’ll recall how a blade feels in her hand, and thinks back to her very first kill. Only, seventeen with no prior experience. Outside of the lessons her boss taught her personally, though they couldn’t have prepared her for that first kill, which had in all honesty been an accident. If she thinks back hard enough to that room she can almost still hear the scream, and the clapping of her boss as she congratulated her on a job well done.

 

“It’ll get easier, sweetie.” Her boss’ words are still in her head. “You’ll see it will get much easier.”
 

And it did get easier, that should have scared Seulgi, the fact that after the first kill it did get easier, way too easy.  She takes a moment to grab another paint brush, thinner this time to get into the finer details of her painting. Her real dream as a kid was to be a famous artist, going around having art shows at galleries, and maybe even inspiring people to want to draw too. That all changed when her boss found her, took her in as a younger child, and raised her for what her life eventually turned out to be. While other little girls were having fun and making friends. Seulgi spent her time dodging knives or learning how to use a gun, a very different childhood than most.

 

But Seulgi knows she’s a very different kind of girl, or rather woman now. A sigh escapes her as she puts the pallete down, little swirls of blue and white, some unused greens, and black. All that would remain unused because Seulgi had something else she needed to do. It had been about a week now since she and Joohyun exchanged numbers, and a week since they had last seen one another. Seulgi knew that had to be rectified and she knew just the way to do so.

 

“It’s rude to keep a lady waiting.” Seulgi smiles a bit and takes her phone out to finally give Joohyun a call. She had a feeling, and her instincts had never failed her before, that Bae Joohyun was probably waiting for her call anyway. Because as much as Seulgi wanted to see her, she had a feeling Joohyun wanted to see her too, just as much. They were both just being cautious for the moment, with Seulgi being the more cautious of the two. It’s like she could just go up to someone who is an actual psychologist and say, “Hey, I’m an assassin by hire, and I enjoy killing people. Maybe, you’ve seen my work…”

 

That would be just about the stupidest thing to do, and nothing Seulgi could do. It’s why she tells herself that she must keep her fascination with Bae Joohyun in check, and to keep herself in check too. She hits the contact name in her phone and waits.


 

Bae Joohyun was just about to break for lunch, having back to back sessions, and a small stint at the university she teaches at to help out with another professor’s lecture when her phone alerts her. Now who on earth could be calling her now? She’s starving and hopes she won’t sound too cranky over the phone.

 

“Oh….” A smile instantly goes to her face. Did her little mouse finally decide to give her a call? Several times Joohyun had wondered if she should make the first move and call Seulgi herself, and she nearly did too, almost on five different occasions she almost did call. Very much unlike her to be that desperate for anyone’s attention. But she really did have a fascination with Seulgi, not that she wanted to go ahead and call it an obsession yet.

 

“It’s so much more fun when the mouse comes to you.” She thinks in an amused tone and hits the answer button. Not that she doesn’t enjoy the chase aspects of this either, because she does. It after all can’t be too easy.

 

“Hello, Seulgi. I was hoping you’d call me.”

 

“Oh, I bet you were waiting.” Seulgi remembers to be polite. “Hello, Joohyun. I am sorry for not calling sooner. Things have been hectic with work lately.”

 

“I’m sure, being an office manager can’t be all that easy.”

 

Seulgi is not an idiot, and she can tell that Joohyun doesn’t believe her either when she says she’s an office manager. In all honesty, Seulgi wouldn’t have believed herself either, with that being said she sure isn’t going to waste time thinking of something else to say to her, so office manager it is.

 

“Yeah, I get up extra early just to sharpen the pencils and taste test all the coffee. I’ll be trying out french vanilla roast tomorrow.”

 

Joohyun has no idea if she’s really that hungry or somewhat tired, but the way Seulgi says that in such a random and off the wall way makes her laugh out loud. Her laughter, though melodious, and makes Seulgi smile takes the brunette by surprise. She didn’t say anything that funny, did she? Among the people in her life, particularly her boss and the few others she knows no one would say she was particularly funny. This is the first time in a long time she’s heard someone genuinely laughing because of her.

 

“You have a sense of humor, don’t you, Kang Seulgi?”

 

“No, not really. Well, maybe sometimes. Anyway, Joohyun. I was calling because someone did say we could take a raincheck on lunch, so when would you like to meet?”

 

Joohyun has

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter