Flying Yena

Precious Slave

Dear readers,

After the last chapter was published, I had made some amendments because I was not satisfied with some details. Firstly, I have changed the name of the Master of the Miscellaneous from Kang Hodong to Akimoto Yasushi since I realized readers might expect interaction between一"Kkura and Dong", so I decided to keep Hodong to another place, and I am sure the versatile Akimoto san will suit the character of a polymath better. Secondly, I have changed the status of Murashige Anna from being the eldest daughter to being the niece of the Principal Chef, so I can have the liberty to put Hodong to be the chef and have more interaction with little Saku in the future. Lastly, I have edited the title of Akimoto's proposal a bit so it can lead to the next chapter better. Sorry to the readers who have finished reading the last chapter earlier and hope you enjoy this short update!

gumgumtara

 


During the private audience, the Princess Regent is deeply impressed by the Master of the Miscellaneous, not only about his vast knowledge but also his generosity. He answered any question she asked and never failed to provide her with additional information that he thinks is useful to her. He speaks gently, slowly, very precisely, and no-nonsense. Secretly, she starts to ponder if she should invite him into the government when her regency becomes permanent.

On the other hand, his Principal Creative Officer is totally his opposite. Her face is highly expressive with her whole body moving energetically when she speaks. Contrary to his master whose long silver hair hardly moves a bit when he talks, Choi Yena's long black ponytail keeps on swaying from side to side as if it has a life of its own. She is still in her riding tights – probably just arrived in the Capital City – showing (off) her well-built body with beautiful curves. With great enthusiasm, she shows Eunbi her portfolio and some inventions which come in small sizes, trying to convince the Princess why Tokkiz needs another higher education institute for creativities and inventions.

"Akimoto seonsaengnim, Choi Yena-ssi," after nearly an hour of conversation, Eunbi decided it is time to conclude, "I agree with you that polymath learning should be a permanent fixture in the curriculum for all kinds and all levels of Tokkiz schools, let me arrange further meetings between seonsaengnim and the Minister of Human Resources. But for a new institute, I think we need deeper thoughts and more discussions in society before any decision can be made – Yena-ssi, can we talk privately for a moment?"

Both master and pupil immediately stand up and bow to the Princess while thanking her for her time. The Princess then instructs the Head of the Royal Household to the master to have tea with Lee Dongwook, the King's special assistance in another room.

 

After the master left with the young lady, the room is left with the Princess and her page boy. Yena is instructed to sit down again. She studies Eunbi while sipping a cup of tea.

"Your Highness, may I compliment the tea? It is the best cup of tea I have ever tasted," without permission, Yena starts talking.

Eunbi just smiles.

The Princess's smile reminds Yena when she visited the Palace last time, she was instructed that one must not speak in front of the King unless they were told.

She quickly shuts up.

Just a smile is powerful enough to shut Choi Yena up! Yena thinks, not without admiration.

And Eunbi speaks. "Choi Yena-ssi, can I ask you a personal question?"

"Yes, Your Highness, I can answer any question."

Eunbi breathes in gently, "do you have any siblings?"

Yena is a bit surprised, but she nods nevertheless, "I have a half-brother, we have the same mother but different fathers."

"Any sister?"

"Not really, but I have a sister-in-law – well, I am not really sure if she has married my brother eventually. They ran away because her parents were against the marriage, and our parents were not supportive either."

"And you? Did you support their marriage?"

"Me..." Yena hesitates. "I grew up with Yeri. She was like a real sister to me, so if you ask me, I think I support them because I wish the three of us will stay together forever."

Eunbi leads out a long sigh and nods.

"I can understand. So did you hear about them after they left?"

"No," Yena shakes her head, "Your Highness, may I ask the reason why you bring up this topic? Did they do anything bad...or they are on your wanted list?"

The Princess doesn't answer but turns to her page-boy instead, "Saku, maybe it'd be better for you to tell Aunt Yena about your parents?"

Yena freezes with widened eyes.

The boy who has been standing behind the Princess during the audience didn't catch Yena's attention until now. He is a beautiful boy but he doesn't resemble either Jihoon or Yeri when they were young, thinks Yena. Instructed by the Princess, he immediately bows and moves a step closer, staring straight into Yena's eyes with an intense gaze.

"Aunt Yena, I am Saku. My official name is Sa Kura, I was adopted by mama and papa when I was two years old..." Sakura recites what she has been practicing for the past week, but she suddenly stops and chokes on her breath.

Yena stands up abruptly, "where...where are they now?"

Tears well up in the boy's eyes, Yena instantly got what it means. Nevertheless, she balls her fist and grits her teeth, tries her best to control her emotion, "please, tell me the complete story."

Once again, Sakura speaks about her foster parents.

Listening to the boy, Yena slumps back onto the chair like a deflated balloon, trembling, covering her face with both palms.

After she finished, Sakura asks, "Aunt Yena, mama has sent you many letters, but why didn't you ever reply?"

Yena raises her face from her palms and looks shocked. She stutters in a voice as if she is going to faint. "W...what...letter? What do you mean?"

"Mama said that she has sent you many letters but you have never replied. Nevertheless, she kept on writing because she believed Aunt Yena will come to save us soon. I was usually the one who handed the letters to the mailman and paid him a fortune – of course, by the standard of a slave."

Yena shakes her head violently in denial, "how come? No, why? Where did she send them?"

Sakura lowers her head and thinks hard, "I couldn't read at that time, I'm sorry, but I remember there was the letter J on all the envelopes."

"Jigumina?"

"I suppose so. Mama used to mention that word sometimes."

Yena looks straight into the boy's eyes. His eyes are clear as crystals, there is absolutely no trace of dishonesty behind them. And his gesture, the way he speaks totally resemble Yeri in her memories.

Drying her tears, Yena stands up and bows deeply to Eunbi. "Your Highness, would you please excuse me now? I need to go back to Jigumina to look for those letters."

"Now?" Eunbi is a bit startled, "Yena-ssi, it is getting late. The sun will set early in winter. I think you have just had a ride back and it will be too tiring to ride again. Why don't you take a rest first and go tomorrow? It should be around 100 miles to get back to Jigumina, right?"

"I can't wait, Your Highness." Tears stream down Yena's face again. "My dear sister sent me letters and has been waiting for me to save her, but I am totally ignorant about that. Now she is dead, I can never forgive myself. To find those letters is the only thing I can do to comfort my soul, or else, I will blame myself for a lifetime."

Eunbi says no more words and rings a bell. A girl with big brown eyes knocks and enters the room in no time.

"Anna, tell the kitchen to prepare a portable dinner for Choi Yena-ssi. One that she can eat with one hand."

"Yes, Your Highness," Anna bows and leaves.

Yena bows deeply again, "Your Highness, you are so kind. I promise I will bring back those letters once I have found them. Thanks for saving and taking care of Kura."

A feeling of uneasiness suddenly occupies Eunbi, "Saku is more than welcome to stay in the Palace. He is now receiving a very good education. We will give him a noble title soon so his residency will be justified and he doesn't have to work as a servant."

It doesn't take Yena very long to understand the Princess's worry. She immediately smiles sincerely, "that's very kind of you, Your Highness. I am totally confident that the Palace will be the best place for Kura to grow up."

Eunbi sighs a release subtly, "oh, for one thing, Kura is known as Saku here."

"Yes, Saku sounds more a boy's name." Yena agrees.

"So, Yena-ssi, you may go now. Saku will you to the courtyard." The Princess finally dismisses Yena.

 

Yena's horse is kept in the courtyard that serves as the entrance for officials and guests. When they are walking there, Saku told Yena that there is a horse named after her, making Yena laugh heartedly.

"I must meet her when I'm back, Kura – or Saku." Yena says, "Which name do you prefer?"

"Everyone calls me Saku here, except Her Highness – and mama too – mama used to call me Kura. My official name is Sa Kura, I have used papa's surname, but mama said my real name is Sakura in one word, Her Highness said it should be Arukas in reverse, suggesting I am Arukasian."

Yena rolls her eyes, "that's awfully confusing."

"I'm sorry..."

"No, no! That's not your fault, kid." Yena smiles.

So Saku decided to change the subject, "so Aunt Yena you will need to ride 2 days to Jigumina, maybe the kitchen should prepare more food for you."

"No," Yena laughs and winks, "I don't need that long."

Saku jumps excitedly, "you can teleport?"

Yena shakes her head while putting on her long jacket with the assistance of the palace staff and leads Saku to her horse. The palace staff has helped her unload the horse since it has been carrying heavy luggage. Yena opens one of the bags and takes out a water jar.

"This is my horse." Yena brings the jar close to Saku and grins.

Saku blinks, "but this is a dragonfly."

Yena just smiles. She starts to make some adjustments to her jacket so that it becomes a thick jumpsuit. She then dresses up in a harness with belts and loops. After putting the dinner pack which Anna brought into her backpack compartment, she holds the jar, looks around, and moves to a spacious area before she opens the lid.

The Dragonfly ascends vertically from the water and leaves the jar. Then its body suddenly inflates like a balloon, turning from a tiny insect into a giant dragon that even a human can sit on its back. Its tail is so long that it nearly occupies all the space in the courtyard. Yena shouts a command and the dragonfly lands and stays still.

Everyone at the site becomes dumbfounded. Even in Tokkiz where magic rules, nobody has ever seen anything like this.

Yena then puts on a hood that only shows her eyes, and she wears a pair of goggles on top of that. She then jumps onto the dragonfly's back effortlessly by pulling the dragonfly's harness. She buckles up the locks on the 2 harnesses and as if it is a signal, the insect starts to buzz its wings which fills up the courtyard with a loud rattle. Yena quickly shouts at Saku, "please tell the master I will be back in a few days, and ask him to take the horse and the luggage back to the studio first!" The dragonfly then takes off and disappears from sight in a few seconds.

"What did I just see?" Saku suddenly feels a pain in his arm. He turns to his side and found that Anna is screaming while grabbing his arm like a lifesaver.

"Hey, it hurts!" Saku squeals and tries to pull away. Anna immediately releases her hands.

"I'm sorry, sir..."

Saku pouts, "don't call me sir. It's embarrassing!"

Anna puts her arm around his neck and giggles, "I treat you dessert to compensate?"

When they walk back to the building, they found Eunbi has been standing by the doorway window. It seems that without anyone notices, the Princess has been watching the whole incident.

Your Highness..." Anna quickly releases Saku and both bow to the Princess.

"Amazing!" Eunbi murmurs with her eyes still staring at the sky, "it must be Overlapping Dimensions." She then turns to Saku, "I have read it in books. This dragonfly doesn't belong to our dimension. While its size is normal on its own planet, it becomes a giant here. The hardest part is, how can you reduce it into the normal size in our planet's ratio, and let it grow back to its original ratio when needed, overlapping the space and time of both dimensions?"

Anna can't comprehend a word Eunbi says, but Saku's eyes instantly shine.