012

Blind Spot
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Warning(s): cursing, mentions of suicide
Length: 5.9k words

  012  

Red and blue lights flash across Baekhyun’s face, dousing him in colors multiple shades removed from his true skin tone. Half his face is red, and the other is blue, making him look like an alien when he catches his reflection in the mirrored walls. As if to make him feel more inhumane than he looks, the club’s DJ plays an electronic, pitch-shifted version of Bublé’s “Sway with Me,” filling his ears with the sound of a distorted saxophone and a shrill orchestra. Standing there, even with the song’s thumping bass in his stomach, Baekhyun can’t feel more detached from the dozens of people dancing around him.

 

A woman with bright pink hair grabs him by the arm and tries to pull him onto the light-up dancefloor, but Baekhyun simply pushes her away as he fights against the crowd. Several times, both men and women attempt to lure him into dancing, but all of their faces are uncomfortably unfamiliar, disgusting Baekhyun and causing him to fight harder. By the time he gets through the thickest portion of the dancing patrons, he’s scowling angrily and brushing the sleeves of his shirt to smooth the wrinkles. Fortunately, after walking through the crowd, Baekhyun catches sight of his two assistants and wannabe proteges: Mark and Taeyong.

 

Although both Mark and Taeyong have dyed their hair outlandish colors despite Baekhyun’s urging not to, it’s a good thing that they did so. Mark’s bright-red head and Taeyong’s emerald green locks make them look like highlighters even in a club flashing with all colors of the rainbow.

 

Before Baekhyun can approach Mark or Taeyong, however, a woman grabs him by collar of his shirt.

 

“What the —” Baekhyun moves to slap the dark-haired woman away, but in doing so, he has turned his head towards the entrance of the VIP section where a familiar man stands. “Junmyeon,” Baekhyun mutters under his breath.

 

Words are superfluous in these types of situations. Junmyeon waves his hand, and the man standing guard at the VIP entrance moves out of the way to allow Baekhyun inside. Though Baekhyun detests Junmyeon with all his might, he has no choice but to follow him and hear what he has to say.

 

The VIP section of the club is noticeably a lot quieter than the main room; here, dancers entertain groups of people or individuals in small booths, and there are servicepeople refilling the empty glasses of the wealthier patrons—Junmyeon being one of them. Baekhyun follows him into a small booth blocked only by dark velvet curtains, and upon entering, he has to look away from the half- woman dancing around a silver pole.

 

“What do you want?” Baekhyun asks Junmyeon in a huff as he sits with him. “I have things to do.”

 

“Relax, Lux.” Junmyeon leans back and takes a sip of alcohol from his whiskey glass. “I’m simply talking business here.” There are other men sitting on the long, circular booth couch with them, and Junmyeon gives one a nod. On his cue, a man tosses the dancer a few bills, and she turns to bask in their attention instead. “I wanted to talk to you,” Junmyeon says, “about a possible collaboration.”

 

Baekhyun scowls harder. “I already told you that I’m not joining you in anything,” he scoffs. “Now is that it or do you want to keep wasting your time?”

 

Junmyeon stares blankly at Baekhyun for a few moments before his lips curl into a smirk. “You know, you really shouldn’t speak to me like that, Lux.”

 

“Or what? You’ll beat the out of me and kill me?” Baekhyun crosses his arms in a bluff. “Go ahead and try, motherer.” The last thing that he wants to do is have Junmyeon beat him to a pulp while in a club, but he must make himself look stronger in a situation like this. After all, Junmyeon isn’t unaware of Baekhyun’s own capabilities to fight. However, Baekhyun’s bluff—as threatening as it may be to a normal person—doesn’t work on Junmyeon.

 

“Oh, I can do much worse,” Junmyeon answers, still smiling. “Which is why I’m here. I’m done being nice with you. You’ve become a real thorn in my plans, and you know how much I hate inconveniences like that.” Junmyeon takes a deep breath and runs his hands over his suit to smoothen it out. “This is your last chance to accept my gracious offer.”

 

“Gracious offer?” Baekhyun repeats mockingly. “You’ve got to be ting me.”

 

“Is that a yes or a no?”

 

“It’s no,” Baekhyun spits. “I’m never working for you or with you on . Now off and stop trying to recruit me in your schemes.”

 

Baekhyun is about to stand up and walk away when Junmyeon’s next words stops him entirely.

 

“Enjoy the year 2060,” Junmyeon says before taking another slow swig of his whiskey. “This is as good it’ll get, Lux. After Dubai, I’m not playing nice anymore.”

 

Junmyeon’s words are vague, but Baekhyun knows a threat when he hears one. Though quite indistinct, what Junmyeon means to say is that things will quickly deteriorate for Baekhyun—and though Baekhyun is good at hiding his fear, he’s worried because Junmyeon has never backed down from his words. Historically, what he has said he will do, he has done.

 

“ you,” Baekhyun mutters to Junmyeon who only tilts his head back to laugh. His movements cause the club’s low light to reflect off the dragon pin on his suit’s lapel.

 

“Have a great night, Lux,” Junmyeon bids farewell.

 

Baekhyun walks out of the VIP section with one of Junmyeon’s lackeys ensuring that he actually leaves. Once outside, Baekhyun can finally return to reconvening with Mark and Taeyong regarding their plans for Dubai’s street race—which lands on a date fast approaching.

 

“Lux,” Mark and Taeyong greet in unison when Baekhyun joins them at their corner booth. Here, the music isn’t so loud that they have to yell, but they still have to talk over conversing people.

 

“Tell me the bad news,” Baekhyun says to Mark. “You didn’t get any new bets, did you?”

 

“No, boss, I didn’t,” Mark confesses to much of Baekhyun’s disappointment. “The usual guys don’t know who’s gonna show up in Dubai, so they don’t wanna cast any bets for you no matter how good you are. And some of them definitely heard of the rumors that Loey and Sehun are both gonna be there too, so they don’t want to take too much of a risk.”

 

Baekhyun shakes his head, hating how it is. At the beginning of his street racing career, he was considered a wildcard, and the whales with pockets flush with cash loved that. The satisfaction of betting on some lanky 21-year-old and then proceeding to win was euphoric to most high rollers, but as Baekhyun demonstrated his skill in driving, he garnered more and support—maybe too much support. Nowadays, people see him as the popular safe bet, and most people who bet safely are poorer. Lux has a reputation, indeed, but if he doesn’t continually challenge his odds, then he has no way of making any real money.

 

“I still think you should go on an early flight,” Taeyong says to Baekhyun. Unlike Mark, he’s a lot bolder in his suggestions—and better at sweet talking girls too. “You can practice on the roads, meet with the whales, get some bets, and stalk your competition.”

 

“No,” Baekhyun interrupts, shaking his head. “I have to stay here and hold my ground.”

 

Baekhyun thinks of Ange—sweet, pouty Ange who is still learning how to make a perfect U-turn without hitting the curb—and how she’ll be left to defend herself from any potential danger. Since Baekhyun has to take Mark and Taeyong along with him to help with the transport of his car, there will be no one left in the vicinity to protect Ange or stop her from getting into trouble. Loey already knows who she is, and Baekhyun can’t take the risk of leaving early. Besides, Baekhyun has been playing this game for years now; he’s not some newbie without connections to help him out.

 

“Don’t worry,” Baekhyun assures Mark and Taeyong, “I know a guy.”

 

As Mark and Taeyong look on curiously, Baekhyun takes his phone out of his pocket and goes through his contacts before stopping on a name that he hasn’t called in years.

 

Kai.

 

 

- - - - -

 

 

Baekhyun was only 20 when he entered his first street race, and although “Kai” was two years younger than him, they became quick friends since they were both rookies trying to make a living and a name for themselves. Hard work, sheer determination, and partnership with one another allowed them to quickly rise the ranks of street racing.

 

Kai and Lux.

 

They were both legends, but there was one striking difference between them. Although Kai was younger than Baekhyun, he didn’t have a debt to weigh him down, and he travelled the world almost endlessly, enabling him to garner fame in several other countries. On the other hand, Baekhyun became the local hero in Daegu neighborhoods, and the very mention of his name began to proliferate the street racing centers of Korea. While Kai was constantly visiting urban kingdoms like Tokyo or Hong Kong, Baekhyun had Korea as his playground, and when they came together, it was synonymous with magic.

 

But all good things come to an end.

 

Baekhyun’s conflicts with Junmyeon and other major gangs grew worse, and Kai knew that their lifestyle wasn’t sustainable—so he quit racing altogether at the age of 21. After one final race in Incheon, Kai withdrew from the fast-paced nightlight and went home to his old roots as Kim Jongin.

 

Now, Jongin is a nurse working at Daegu General Hospital. Before he and Baekhyun stopped all contact, he told Baekhyun that he wanted to help people—something along the lines of fixing his wrongdoings and saving people in the “right way.” It’s admirable to most people, especially Baekhyun, but it’s something that Baekhyun never saw coming from Jongin. The two of them, after all, were the frontrunners of immoral and illegal activity in their early 20s. People change, though, and they can change a lot because now Baekhyun is parked right next to Jongin’s Hyundai Elantra—the same car that they used to -talk as racers.

 

Baekhyun left a voicemail for Jongin hours ago, but he must work a graveyard shift because he has yet to respond to it. Even at 2AM, Jongin’s car is still parked behind the hospital under some trees with no sign of its owner.

 

To stop himself from growing too impatient, Baekhyun steps outside and sits on the hood of his Jaguar to smoke and clear his head before asking Jongin a massive favor. He only has the chance to smoke half of a cigarette before his ears pick up on a shuffling sound behind him.

 

“Jongin,” Baekhyun says as he turns around and sees the man himself.

 

Baekhyun hasn’t talked to Jongin in three—almost four—years, and he hasn’t even seen him either. Unsurprisingly, however, Jongin is visibly more domestic in appearance than Baekhyun last remembered him. For starters, Jongin is wearing nurse scrubs, and his hair is down, covering his forehead entirely. Speaking of his hair, it’s no longer blond, and his undercut has long grown out, making him look like an average person—or as average as Kim Jongin can get. As a racer, he was always known as the most handsome one. With his cut jaw and tanned skin, Jongin’s physical aestheticism doesn’t cease to exist just because he’s wearing scrubs.

 

“Baekhyun,” Jongin echoes. He sets down his tote bag on the hood of his Hyundai and wrinkles his nose. “Don’t you know that smoking kills?”

 

“Better a cigarette than a gunman,” Baekhyun retorts with half of a smile. He picked up smoking from his older brother, and though at first, he used it as a prop, it quickly became a bad habit when his brother died. Now, Baekhyun uses the rancid taste of cigarettes to ground himself. “Did you get my call?” Baekhyun asks, dropping the cigarette and crushing it under his foot. “I need your help.”

 

“I did get your call,” Jongin answers. He mirrors Baekhyun and leans against the hood of his car before crossing his arms and sighing deeply. “Why?”

 

“Why, what?”

 

“Why are you going to Dubai?” Jongin queries, sighing again. “It’s been years, and you’re still doing this ?”

 

“I told you. I love driving, and it’s one of the only things that I’m actually good at—”

 

“And there’s a difference between doing something that you love because you enjoy it and doing it because you’ll get killed if you don’t,” Jongin interjects. He shakes his head in clear disapproval despite being the younger one. “You’re still in debt, aren’t you? You still have to answer to Junmyeon, huh? Gotta pay millions a month?”

 

Baekhyun doesn’t answer because he doesn’t need to. It’s pitiful to live this existence where he’s essentially Junmyeon’s . Even after all of these years, Baekhyun is still in the same place as he was when he was 20.

 

“Can you help me or not?” Baekhyun asks, completely dodging Jongin’s line of questions.

 

Jongin purses his lip for a moment, and with the yellow lights of the hospital’s back parking lot, Baekhyun can see the disappointment cross his old friend’s face. “Yeah,” Jongin says after a moment, “I can help you. I still have my old contacts.”

 

“Good, tell them about me—”

 

“By the way, Seulgi told me about the pills.”

 

Baekhyun freezes. “What? You two still talk?” he asks, genuinely surprised. “I thought you broke up.”

 

“We did,” Jongin says with a shrug, “but we still talk sometimes, and she told me that you bought cyanide pills from her.” Baekhyun exhales in annoyance and disbelief that Seulgi would leak his personal business to Jongin of all people, but before he can say a thing about it, Jongin jumps in with his unnecessary worry. “Baekhyun,” Jongin continues, “why the do you need cyanide pills?” Jongin al

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter