010

Blind Spot
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Warning(s): cursing, some violence
Length: 8.1k words

  010  

This is a 2060 Toyota GR Supra in the shade “nocturnal” with a matching black interior, soft leather upholstery—kind of a supervillain’s wet dream.

 

It’s not just that it’s too good. It’s so good that it’s bad. It’s a crime itself.

 

It’s got a 3.0-litre, inline-six engine turbocharged and ready to go from red light to red flight in 2.2 seconds. A car like this just isn’t suitable for the streets. It’s actually illegal in 70 countries, and therefore production is highly limited but rightfully so. A car like this can’t just be driven by anyone. Because are there faster cars? Yes. Are there louder-engine, tire-screeching cars? Sure. But are there cooler cars? Absolutely not.

 

The 2060 Supra was designed with the aftermarket in mind, and since the car is banned in half of the world anyways, what’s stopping anyone from redesigning and making it run on rocket fuel instead? It’s cool because it’s possible.

 

It’s sleek, it’s y, and its chassis matches its engine so well that any other car just seems out of balance. It’s the way it’s got vents, edges, and a leather-grip steering wheel; it’s the way the tail juts out just slightly—like “you don’t have to look at me because you’ll hear me first.”

 

2060 isn’t just the year for harmonious debauchery. It’s also the year Toyota once again collaborated with the Deutsch automaker, BMW, to pursue perfection. When Japanese aestheticism and functionality meet with German class and heart to create one car, it’s fitting that they’ve been collaborating on the Supra and not the Corolla. See, the word Supra is Latin for “above” or “beyond,” so it’s no wonder that this car is on another level that exceeds all else.

 

Sure, people look towards a Lamborghini or a Ferrari when they think “fast” or “cool,” and people hardly think about Toyota in that way. They think “functional” and “economic,” and Japan is only known for making video games, right? Well, that’s subject to debate, but here’s a fact: the Japanese invented umami, the fifth flavor that sounds as cool as it tastes. There’s sweet, sour, salty, and bitter—and then there’s umami: a flavor that English speakers describe as savory. So what does a umami flavor have to do with a car? For starters, if the Supra was a flavor, it’d be umami. Second, you can’t just drive a Supra; you have to savor it, and that isn’t up for debate.

 

The Supra really is Baekhyun’s favorite car, and it was his brother’s too. In a way, it makes Baekhyun feel closer to him, like he’s still here—like he’s still alive.

 

Of course, Baekbeom isn’t alive anymore. He’s dead, and for a while, Baekhyun thought he would join him in due time. But “due time” isn’t so clear; “due time” is a foggy term for describing the anxiety of waiting in a doctor’s office. In Baekhyun’s case, it’s the anxiety of waiting for when Junmyeon decides that he’s bored and needs to play a game. Until then, Baekhyun fills his time with racing cars or the same old routine of fixing them.

 

That is, until that he caught a certain, wide-eyed girl snooping through bags of dirty money.

 

Why did she have to follow him that night? Why did she have to get in so much trouble that it had to be him to get her out? Why did she never listen to him in the first place? Why did she have to do him like this?

 

He remembers when he was staring at the river, too angry at his own life to talk, and she touched his cheek like he was something holy. Up until that point, he just felt like he was danger—a danger to those around him and to himself. But when she traced that line from his bruise to his jaw, he didn’t feel like he  was someone dangerous; he felt like anything that isn’t a ticking time bomb, and he wanted to feel like that forever. When he took her on that drive, as awkward as it was, he still liked it because he liked her and the way she made him feel like himself.

 

It’s too bad that he can’t have anything nice. It could’ve been good. He could have smiled at her and asked her out. He could have kissed her without getting into an argument first. He could have taken her out on a normal drive that didn’t involve car chasing and panic attacks, but he can’t—because “in due time.”

 

In due time, he’ll be dead, and she doesn’t need another accident in her life.

 

Why did he even kiss her in the first place? He shouldn’t have.

 

 

- - - - -

 

 

“Hey, Mark,” Baekhyun breaks the silence of the cool March night. He then throws his cigarette onto the ground and steps on it to ensure that it doesn’t continue burning. Although he has called for Mark’s attention, he doesn’t say anything until the boy has shifted his attention away from his phone. “Can you give me some advice?”

 

“Advice?” Mark widens his eyes. Baekhyun only ever asks him to do things, not give advice of all things—and it makes Baekhyun scowl because Mark just has to overreact.

 

“You embarrass yourself a lot around girls,” Baekhyun continues, which makes Mark’s jaw go slack, “so tell me—how do you get over it?”

 

“But I don’t embarrass myself around girls!”

 

“Well, you’re embarrassing yourself now because we both know that you do.” Baekhyun crosses his arms and leans against the side of Mark’s car. “Just tell me. How do you…” Baekhyun pauses, and memories of Friday’s kiss with Ange comes back to him in a supercut. “…take back something you shouldn’t have done in the first place? Or at least apologize?”

 

“Where is this going?” Mark asks cautiously. Mirroring Baekhyun’s own movements, he crosses his arms and leans against the side of his car before furrowing his brows. “Isn’t it usually me that asks you for advice like this?”

 

“Mark, stop clenching your jaw before your nose starts bleeding.”

 

On cue, Mark relaxes his jaw with a sigh and immediately breaks his form. He relaxes his shoulders and shakes his head. “What was the question again?” he murmurs.

 

“How,” Baekhyun huffs, “do you apologize for something you shouldn’t have done?” Mark’s returning expression is blank, so Baekhyun rolls his eyes as he tries to seek help from the clueless boy. “Remember that time when you said that you kissed Ange?”

 

“Oh, no.” Mark facepalms himself with a groan. “Why did you remind me that I did that?”

 

“What’d you do to apologize to her?”

 

“I don’t remember,” Mark mumbles. He contorts his face to a fit an expression filled with pain; he’s quite literally cringing at the memory, it seems. “I just said something weird, like, I told her to forget it ever happened and then just, like, tried to play it off cool.”

 

“That’s awful.”

 

“I know,” Mark groans and shudders. “Why do you even care? D’you kiss someone that rejected you too?”

 

Baekhyun can’t stop himself from first smirking before breaking into a soft chuckle. Rejected. He thinks back to two nights ago, when he and Ange sat in his car exchanging soft arguments before ultimately engaging in a kiss. The feeling of the supple flesh of her thigh under his hand is ingrained is his mind. The taste of her sweet lips can’t be erased from his memory, and he especially can’t forget the look of newfound bliss on her face when they pulled away and looked at each other with new eyes—like why haven’t we done that sooner? The comparison to the face that Ange made when Baekhyun saw Mark kiss her is just laughable, so Baekhyun snickers as Mark looks at him like he’s insane.

 

“What’s so funny?” Mark asks genuinely. “Why’re you laughing?”

 

“No one rejected me,” Baekhyun answers simply, choosing to keep the boy in his paradise of ignorance. “It’s funny that you think that anyone would.”

 

“Oh, I see. You just wanted me to relive my trauma, didn’t you?”

 

“No, I was genuinely curious of how you get over things.”

 

“Well, I haven’t gotten over it yet, okay?” Mark shoves his hands into his jacket’s pockets and starts shaking his leg. “I’d really like to, but I still like her. I like her lot.”

 

Baekhyun looks at Mark’s brooding side-profile and thinks of how pitiful he is at times. He hasn’t known Mark for too long, but Baekhyun knows firsthand how blind he is when it comes to Mimi’s affections, and now, he’s also blind to the fact that Ange isn’t interested in him in the way he wants her to be. It’s typical angst that all young adults experience, and it makes out to be good character building, but Baekhyun still wishes that he can somehow shield Mark from that type of pain. In fact, if Baekhyun could spare Mark from any more of the atrocities intertwined with their illegal night world, he would.

 

“I have to go soon for my thing,” Baekhyun says, looking at his wristwatch. It’s almost midnight. “You’re gonna stay here and keep watch of things, right?”

 

“Like you told me to, boss.”

 

“Good.” Baekhyun peers into the distance, towards the direction where Minseok always comes, and sees a pair of headlights drawing closer. “I think he’s here.”

 

Sure enough, when the car comes near enough Baekhyun and Mark, Baekhyun recognizes it to be the same dirty black Nissan Versa that he used to teach Ange how to drive. Memories of that fateful day come back to him because it was on the night when he caught her inside his house, and it was on that same night where he had returned from another night of burglary. Seeing that car now makes Baekhyun feel ill because Minseok usually gets rid of the getaway car after one use to make sure it doesn’t fall into police hands.

 

“Hey, Lux!” Minseok is sticking his head out of the car window. “Let’s go!”

 

“I’m coming,” Baekhyun calls back. He turns to Mark, and the boy is staring at his feet, presumably trying to ignore the entire situation—like Baekhyun instructed. “Mark, remember what I told you?”

 

Mark only looks up to confirm Baekhyun’s earlier instruction with a nod. “I’ll keep a close eye on things until you get back.”

 

“Good.”

 

With that, Baekhyun walks to the car and gives one last look at the squinting Mark. As Minseok pulls out of the pavement that lies in between Baekhyun’s burned house and car workshop, Mark reenters his car and shuts the door behind him. The splash of red from Mark’s car is the last thing that Baekhyun sees before he and Minseok are on their way to the city.

 

“Why do you still have this car?” Baekhyun questions Minseok. “I thought you got rid of it.”

 

“Wait, how do you know that? Oh, wait.” Minseok clicks his tongue. “I forget who you are sometimes, Lux. You can spot a car’s model and make from a mile away—”

 

“Answer the question,” Baekhyun snaps.

 

“Alright, Jesus Christ,” Minseok mutters. “It’s just a one-time thing, okay? Relax.”

 

“I’m not gonna relax, Minseok.” Baekhyun makes sure to sneer at his name. “ like this is what gets people caught. The deal was a new car each time, and it’s especially important for nights like this when we’re robbing a ing jewelry store across the street from a gated neighborhood.”

 

“Look, it’s gonna be fine,” Minseok insists anyways. He nudges his head towards the glove box. “By the way, you might wanna put some gloves on.” Baekhyun opens the aptly named compartment, and sure enough, there are a pair of black leather gloves inside. “There might be extra police since, so I also brought you a gun.”

 

“I already have one,” Baekhyun says, pulling on the leather gloves that fit his hands perfectly.

 

“No, I have one with a silencer.”

 

Baekhyun pulls the mentioned gun out of the glove box. While he may be an expert when it comes to cars and driving, he knows nothing about the anatomy of guns. However, the one that Minseok has supplied for him has a long, barrel-like structure attached to a standard handgun. That must be the silencer—which are used mainly for stealth kills.

 

“Alright, so you remember the plan?” Minseok asks.

 

“Wait down the street, under the trees, and take it slow when you come back,” Baekhyun recalls from last night’s conversation. “Then we go to the big parking lot across the Starbucks, switch cars, you drive me to mine, and you give me my share.”

 

“Bingo.” Minseok taps the tip of his nose. “I can’t wait to get this party started.”

 

Minseok excitedly taps his fingers on the steering wheel, but Baekhyun clenches and unclenches his fists in the leather gloves, trying to get a better feel of them in the case that he has to commit more atrocities.

 

 

- - - - -

 

 

Sanamjuk is the name of the family-owned jewelry shop that Minseok and his crew have decided to rob. Since it sits by the invisible and official unofficial line separating the “safe” part of Daegu from its “dangerous” half, the neighborhood directly across it has two metal gates that offer protection to its inhabitants.

 

Although Minseok’s crew has surveyed this area for weeks at this point, and they can assure Baekhyun that there are no security guards during the weekend, Baekhyun still keeps an eye out. As Minseok is plundering the jewelry stop, Baekhyun has the unofficial duty to remain watchful for them because police like to roam the areas around The Line to catch any potential lawbreakers. Because of this, Minseok has equipped tonight’s car with a police radio that Baekhyun listens to on low volume.

 

Baekhyun’s palms are sweaty, making his leather gloves feel tighter. The eerie silence paired with the soft crackles of the police radio are no help in easing the tension that Baekhyun feels in his chest. Small moments feel like forever when those moments involve waiting.

 

Within three minutes, however, Minseok has returned to the car, gasping heavily as the sound of the jewelry’s alarm system blares from across the street. Baekhyun’s heart races with panic since the sound of any alarm makes him queasy, but he must remain calm in these crucial minutes and start the car’s engine; he has to act slow. Unlike most nights where he takes the quickest possible route out of the scene of the burglary, Baekhyun needs to make the most inconspicuous escape possible, and sometimes, that isn’t necessarily the fastest option.

 

Baekhyun turns up the police radio as Minseok’s associates drive past them to divert police—if any. He listens to the chatter for a few seconds before finally driving.

 

Minseok has regained his breath and is clutching at two duffel bags that he stuffs behind his seat. All the while, Baekhyun breathes through his nostrils to prevent his breathing from growing shallow. If he starts panting, he’ll show a sign of weakness, and he doesn’t need that when his and Minseok’s lives are quite literally on The Line.

 

All units be advised… the police radio crackles, and Baekhyun cracks his knuckles.

 

That’s not good.

 

Baekhyun hardly hears the police operator’s voice since it mingles with too much static at one point, but he hears that they know a robbery has occurred. As of this moment, they’re probably checking the traffic light cameras—more specifically, the one that Baekhyun had to drive past when he turned left and through The Line to more familiar territory. Despite this, the police from the “safe” side are diligent people actively trying to make the city safer, and there are still some good cops patrolling on the “bad” side that won’t accept bribes.

 

A light turns red, and Baekhyun stops accordingly. There’s a police car on the other side of the intersection, but Baekhyun still hasn’t heard a vehicle description exchanged over the radio.

 

Sure enough, when the light turns green, the police car doesn’t turn on its siren and lights to chase down Baekhyun’s car. It simply continues down the road. Minseok takes a big sigh of relief at this, but it’s not over just yet. They still have to get to their drop zone.

 

Baekhyun makes a right into a dark neighborhood that once housed a ion ring. Though he would never otherwise drive through this neighborhood, thanks to Minseok and the man before Minseok, he knows it well. He knows that it’s a road that most police officers wouldn’t take because small-time gangs still operate there, and they open fire on anything that flashes red and blue and sounds like a police car. In a way, Baekhyun is probably safer in that neighborhood than out in the open, but he still steps harder onto the gas pedal because it’s creepy as in there.

 

Once Baekhyun is out of the neighborhood, he makes a left onto a main road that is flanked by several businesses. It’s also the road that connects to a smaller one that leads to the big parking lot serving as the drop zone for the night.

 

Suspected vehicle is a black Nissan Versa, the police radio crackles.

 

Baekhyun’s heart, which had slowed down slightly, starts picking up speed again. Minseok lets out a slew of quiet curses, increasing Baekhyun’s anxiety. In fact, he feels a chill creep up his spine when the realization of that he may get caught hits him square in the face.

 

Fortunately, the main road that Baekhyun takes is devoid of any police cars, and he makes a quick turn into the parking structure. Baekhyun has barely parked the car in an open spot—in fact, he hasn’t even turned off the engine—when Minseok quickly jumps out and heads for their second getaway car located on the roof.

 

Taking a slow exhale, Baekhyun tries to regain composure. He turns off the car’s engine and leaves the keys in the glove box.

 

It’s over. Just like that, it’s over. He can take a real breath of relief knowing that he has gotten away—but it’s never that easy. Baekhyun, whether he likes it not, can hear things exceptionally. It bothered him as a child because he could hear whispering from his classmates from across the room, and sounds like a moth’s flapping wings scared the life out of him when he went on camping trips with his family. Over time, however, he used his sensitive hearing to diagnose car problems and eavesdrop on conversations. In a still parking lot, he can hear a pin drop—or the crackling of a police radio.

 

Baekhyun takes Minseok’s gun—the one with the silencer—out of his jacket’s pocket and turns his ear towards where he thinks he hears the radio.

 

CRISHK… CRISHIK…

 

Squinting, Baekhyun peers over the roofs of several parked cars to look for any police cars. The sound of the radio is close, probably withing 20 meters—at most.

 

Baekhyun inhales and holds his breath to hear better as he starts walking towards the general direction of the crackle. In the distance, he hears cars passing, but none of them are headed his way, so he continues taking cautious steps. When he reaches an SUV with suspension mods, he hears the crackle again, and this time, the source of the sound is clear to him; it’s coming from behind the SUV that is conveniently tall enough to hide a shorter police car.

 

Gritting his teeth, Baekhyun reconfigures the position of his hands on the gun. He raises his arms and aims the gun, clicks the safety, points directly in front of his body—and steps forward.

 

When Baekhyun rounds the front of th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter