Unusual request

Surrogate


"I will only handover my company to you if you can give me a great grandchild" Cho Kyuhyun's grandfather said to him on his hospital bed. He was admitted to hospital due to a fall. 

"Haraboji, I have no intention of getting married yet, how do I give you a great grandchild? This is so unusual!" Kyuhyun said in disbelief. 

"I don't care. Either you get married or get somebody to give you a baby. I want see my great grandchild and then you can have my company" 

"Haraboji, I'm not asking for you to give up your company. I'm just asking you to give me full rights so that it is easier for me to manage it. Otherwise I always have to come to you to get your signatures"

"My request still stand. Give me a great grandchild within a year!" and his grandfather close his eyes as though what he said was final and he didn't want to talk further. 

Kyuhyun scratched his head, and left his grandfather after adjusting his blanket and making sure that a glass of water is within his reach. The following week, Kyuhyun couldn't concentrate on his work and kept on thinking what his grandfather request. 

He talked about his problem to his good friend Siwon over a drink. "I really don't know what to do, Siwon. My grandfather is so stubborn". 

"Hmmm, how about looking for a surrogate mother?" Siwon suggested. 

"What do you mean?" 

"You are not ready to get married, and your grandfather insist to have a great grandchild, so the best solution is find a woman who is willing to bear you a child, through medical way, not out of the wedlock!" 

"Do you mean through IVF? The test tube baby using my ?" and when Siwon nodded, Kyuhyun added "I don't think a single woman would want to do that.." 

"Offer a substantial amount of money, for sure somebody who needed the money would grab that chance!" 

Kyuhyun was undecided. He agreed that Siwon's idea is good, but how would he know who the woman is what is her background, and when she gave birth, that she would give full rights to Kyuhyun to take the baby?

"Think about it! Put up an advertisement and you can always interview the person first..." Siwon told him. 

"Thanks bro. I really appreciate your opinion and advice. Let me think about it" Kyuhyun smile at his friend. 

A few days later, Kyuhyun made up his mind and put up a small advertisement in the newspaper. 

At a corner cafe in another town, Ryeowook was cleaning up the table after a customer left. Her supervisor was shouting at her for not cleaning everything fast enough, but she was washing the dishes, so how could she know that a customer had left? 

Kim Ryeowook worked at the cafe during the day, and at a seven-eleven during the night. In-between, she would take care of her bed-ridden father, and before she left to work at the seven-eleven, she would cleaned her father up, fed him with his milk through his tube, gave him his medications and make sure that he slept. 

While she was cleaning the table which that customer had left, she saw that he had left his newspaper. She looked up but he was too far away for her to call. She kept the Newspaper safely in her tote bag in case the customer returned and asked for it. 

Ryeowook took a bus home after buying 6 pack of protein milk for her father. She sighed as even with 2 jobs, she hardly could make ends meet. Her father's milk was so expensive, and after adding his medications, she hardly had any money left for herself. Often, she just ate buns for days, just to save some money to pay her bills, and she still owe the hospital some money for her father's last 2 checkups.

She opened up her tote bag to take out the milk receipt, and she saw the newspaper. "Aishhh, I should have left it at the cafe..." and since her home was still a distance, she took the newspaper out to kill her time.

She scanned through the news and was about to fold back the newspaper when her eyes caught the small advertisement for a surrogate mother. It said "Single women needed to be a surrogate mother for a baby. Substantial amount will be paid for the service and all medical expenses will be paid. Call xxxxxx and ask for Mr Cho". 

"Wow, means get pregnant and give birth for him and that's it? And the person will be paid? Hmmm, but it's 9 months later and being pregnant is not easy..." Ryeowook thought to herself. But it's one way to pay off her bills... 

Ryeowook took down the number and maybe would consider about the offer. She wondered why this oerson has to resort to this? Maybe his wife couldn't give birth? Well, anyway, it's not her problem. 

She reached home and took the letters from her letterbox. She still have about 2 hours before she needs to start the 2nd job. She looked through her letters, which were mostly bills, and there was one bill with the word 'urgent'.

"Haiz, it's the hospital bill. How am I supposed to pay for it...?" Ryeowook sighed. Then the image of the advertisement came into her mind.

With a shaking finger, she called the number.

"Hello?" a pleasant and deep voice was on the other line.

Ryeowook was contemplating to off her line because she was too nervous. "Err...err..."

"Yes?"

"Can..can..i speak to.. to.. Mr Cho, pl.. please..?"

Kyuhyun immediately knew this person is enquiring about his advertisement. This person seemed nervous. He reveiced 2 calls earlier and he didn't like both women's tone. "Yes, I'm Mr Cho. Who am I speaking to?"

"Hi Mr Cho... I'm... I'm Kim Ryeowook. Regarding your advertisement, is it genuine...? I mean, you just want the baby? Not a trap to lure woman to... you know, to ion....?"

Huh? Why did she think of that...? Of course not...! But seemed like this woman is honest "Other than the baby, yes, I have no other ill intention, don't worry about it" he explained. "Miss Kim, I can explain further, if you are okay to meet me?"

"I can't these few days as I'm working 2 jobs. If you are okay on Sunday? The cafe is closed by 1pm, so I can meet you anytime after 2pm, but before 7 pm as I have to start my work at seven-eleven. Oh wait, but I have to clean and feed my bed-ridden father, so I have to be home by 5pm. So sorry sir, I hope you are okay with the time"

Kyuhyun was amazed that this girl worked 2 jobs and juggled to look after her bed-ridden father. "Yes I'm fine at 2pm. Where is the cafe that you are working? I can pick you up?" 

"No.. no, sir, I don't want to trouble you. I can go myself. Just let me know the place" 

"It's really no trouble to me. Where is your cafe?" 

"I'm working at Migabon Restaurant, sir. It's at Myeongdong" 

"Is this your number" Kyuhyun asked, referring to the number that she used to call him.

"Yes sir, this is my handphone number"

"Okay, I will text you when I reached there okay. Can you save my number? See you on Sunday, Miss Kim"

Ryeowook off her phone and took a deep breath. Is she serious about this? But she has no choice as she needed the money to pay the hospital and her father's medical bills...