On the Prowl

Predator on the Prowl

Almost all traces of Joohyun’s humanity disappeared at the age of 27, the day her heart stopped beating, bidding farewell to her human life as Joohyun from Daegu while embracing her new vampire life as Irene. Despite Irene’s recent adaptions of incredible strength and speed, piercing pearly-white teeth, sharp nails and death grip, she decided to play it safe by starting her new life tucked away in Busan. The vampire fledgling knows that her best chance of survival is to avoid the majority of the ruthless, blood-craving frenzy vampire population, most of whom settled in Seoul. Unlike Seoul, there aren’t any social vampire meetups or night classes and the vampire fledgling was forced to learn from her own experiences and bloody mistakes. The gruelling past 6 months had moulded the gorgeous brunette vampire into a strong, independent vampire, who is now more than capable of getting away with murder, but is determined not be that type of monster.

 

The brunette’s business side did however use her vampire persuasion ability and charming appearance for her own gain to obtain a massive bank loan for her business ventures. She justifies her actions because of her immortality and now monopolizes all convenience stores along Gwangalli beach. The storage rooms of her strategic business investments have dual purposes – she sometimes drinks fresh blood from customers while at other times helps the weak blood donors back to health.

 

Irene did not become a vampire by choice but being a predator is better than being the hunted. The brunette felt her excitement building up during the week and after a long antagonizing wait, it was finally Friday night. Irene discovered that tipsy made the best meals as they don’t struggle when Irene sinks her fangs and probably forget about her existence and their experience. Her dining experience is not like regular people as she dines alone and she does not necessarily have to dress up for a meal. Still, she insists on dressing in designer wear as effortlessly helps her find a willing meal. Friday nights are not only most people’s drinking night but it’s also her usual night to drink fresh blood, as most intoxicated people are eager to experiment and willingly succumb to Irene’s fresh blood craving.

 

Irene strolls along the pavement enjoying the refreshing sea-breeze, hoping to quickly find her next meal. The breeze leads her towards a stripy tiger-print dressed young woman with frizzy beach hair, slouching against a wall and taking a long drag of a cigarette. Maybe… Crouching Tiger will be able to help me out tonight, Irene pondered.

 

Wendy assumes that her crush, Seulgi, has come out to profusely offer her apologies for constantly teasing her about all things Canada related. She does not even bother looking at her crush, “What do you want? Just because we’ve all had too much to drink doesn’t mean that you can get away with your monstrous behaviour.”

 

Irene knows that Crouching Tiger intended on speaking with someone else, but the words, “monstrous behaviour,” resonated deep in Irene’s mind and struck a nerve. Irene rambles out of irritation and hunger, “Hi! I’m Irene. My name literally means the goddess of peace and I don’t have any other intentions. I am starving and looking for someone to satisfy my late-night cravings. Will you be willing to help?” Who could say no to the vampire goddess that exudes an enticing aura?

 

The tipsy young woman looks up in surprise from hearing an unfamiliar voice. She rolls her eyes and sarcastically replies, “And I’m Wendy, the girl from Neverland, who just lives for an adventure with strangers in Busan’s dark, dingy alleyways. Yah! Byuntae! I’m not that type of…”

 

Irene could not help but release a hearty chuckle, accidently baring all of her teeth while laughing. Wendy realises her mistake in talking back to the older brunette, who just so happened to be a vampire. I’m going to be eaten for sure. Maybe I should put my debating skills into place by pleading my case,” Wendy thought to herself.

 

“Stop! You can’t kill me.”

 

Irene does not intend on killing anyone but enjoys seeing Wendy squirm, “Why not?”

 

Wendy rambles her case, “For starters my crush and my friends have been incessantly teasing me about my Canadian life just to annoy the hell out of me. I have also just been smoking. Do you want smoky flavoured blood tainted with cheap vodka, tequila and gin? I’m also not feeling too well and my hangover will be transferred to you if you kill me.”

 

“She is adorably cute and funny when she’s drunk. I just have to ,” Irene thought while raising her eyebrow. “That sounds like an interesting theory. Maybe I should test it out? And hangovers don’t kill people…but I do. Your hangover…My hangover can easily be cured with hangover soup,” Irene tries her best to remain ever so serious.

 

Wendy uses the remaining of her cigarette ash to draw giant cross symbols on either side of her neck as a last resort of protection. Wendy feels queasy and inaudibly mutters, “Repeat after me. Females are friends and buddies not food.” Wendy is proud of her spur of the moment declaration but soon hurls up all over Irene and passes out.

 

Irene’s superb hearing allowed her to hear Wendy’s declaration and ravishingly eyes Wendy, “Females are friends and buddies not food. Females are friends and buddies not food. Females are friends and buddies not food.” After her third attempt she was not sure whether she wanted Wendy to be her food, friend or something more?

 

Irene tries to use Wendy’s phone to contact one of her friends but as fate would have it, the phone’s battery had run flat. “Okay Wendy from Neverland. Let’s go home! I’ll just have to settle for refrigerated blood. Also, you’re going to pay the consequences for ruining my dress and chances of a fresh meal.”