Chapter XI

Say Yes To The Limelight

Aurora, Colorado - Civannah’s Family Home

 

MfgpKl4SgeDEOAOtXZLmiC-0OJGvYoqW28mVrT-1igpQ-rNfo3_zjPge8kTh80EnkxHTOHn0y6DFKFn4MeoCr74hO_vpQnJj2BSUR-lr2uGa3d3in4MHqfwhdv6wJckDKREEzpxQ

 

“How is he?”

“Fine. He’s sleeping now.”

“Great. Then you can sit at the table and I’ll bring you something to eat.”

“No need. I’m not hungry.”

“Civannah, it wasn’t an option. Sit.”

Civannah sighed and sat down not wanting to argue any further.

“Here.”

“Thanks.” Civannah said picking up a piece of celery that was on the plate placed in front of her.

“Do they even feed you over there? It’s only been what a month? And you are on your way to becoming a stick.”

“I’m just a lot more active. Running around making sure everything is perfect. Making sure I don’t piss anyone off. Brainstorming ideas for future videos.”

“All work and no play make Civi a dull girl.” Katrina laughed. “But seriously, make a little time for yourself. Soak in Korea a little bit.”

“I have, just not that much, it's only been a month, work really came first.” Civannah answered before biting into her sandwich.

“Ahhh so no romance?” Katrina asked, causing Civannah to choke on her sandwich. “Are you okay? Here.” Katrina asked, handing Civannah a glass of water.

“Yeah...fine.” Civannah said, regaining her composure and breath. “Enough about me. How have you been? I heard you and Blake are getting closer.”

“Who told you that?” Katrina laughed. “We’re just friends. Honestly. I genuinely don’t have any romantic feelings for him, but I kinda feel the pressure from Mads and Kaia to try and force things to work.”

“Why don’t you just tell them?”

“So they can leash their claws in some poor unexpected guy? No thanks. At least Blake knows what he got himself into. Besides we already talked about it and he knows I’m not looking for commitment.”

“Does he?” Civannah asked, finishing up half of her sandwich. “Are you sure you said you aren’t looking for commitment as in right this minute and sometime after but maybe in the future we could try? Or did you mean it as I’m not looking for a commitment with you?”

“Civannah that sounds harsh.”

“But it’s actually not. Depending on how you said it maybe he thinks he has a chance.”

“There’s no way he likes me more than a friend. It’s crazy...right?” Katrina asked before it dawned on her. “Oh my god. He likes me.” Katrina whispered as Civannah clapped her hands.

“And the award for most oblivious goes too.”

“This isn’t funny Civ. How am I supposed to tell him that I have never seen him that way?”

“Just call him up to meet when you get back to California. It’s better to do it face to face.”

“I’m gonna look like an .”

“You’re not an , Kat. You honestly didn’t know. It’s a trait we all knew you had.” Civannah shrugged.

“Don’t be like me.. find a guy and fall in love a simple way…”

“Katrina, there’s something I need to tell you.” Civannah spoke, sitting up in her chair.

“Oh god. You only call me Katrina when it’s serious. What’s wrong?”

“I-” Civannah spoke but was cut off by the sound of the front door opening.

“Your mom must be back. We can help her with the groceries and you can tell me later.” Katrina said already out of her chair and headed to the front door.

“Yeah...later.”

 

Seoul, South Korea - SM Practice Room

 

WUpuOHSNeu6bBSuyJZ4wS6qRbwACx3P7H7OQkN-r9R991CwaTEUfRgGeYwE7PFR1j3Mq5CCMkijFYXPGD9W1HryCoPRSuTulBqm4o-8qaX65RgOhtIhaajBOutHGSCKN4Kl3mVUD

 

“Are you okay? You’re working yourself extra hard these past few days.” Chanyeol asked Jongin after finishing their night practice for their comeback.

“I just want everything to be perfect. Since Changmin is bringing Civannah’s friends to Korea, I thought they could experience Kpop by seeing us perform live.”

“Or you just want an excuse to see that girl.” Baekhyun whispered but Sehun heard him.

“What girl?” Sehun asked, looking at Baekhyun who only shrugged in response causing Jongdae to laugh.

“You know about the girl too?” Joonmyeon asked and received a nod from Jongdae.

“You can all meet her at the performance.” Jongin shrugged.

“I just hope you’re planning to be more careful this time around. If she’s a friend of Civannah’s then she must not be an idol.” Joonmyeon spoke thoughtfully.

“She’s not. She’s actually a blogger. So I think she would be able to understand my lifestyle a bit because of it.” Jongin spoke only for Baekhyun to scoff.

“She’ll never understand. I think it’s even more dangerous because she’s a blogger. What if she actually writes a post about you? What if the post is filled with lies? This group can’t possibly take any more scandals.”

“I didn’t make scandals on purpose. Sorry that my life affects yours so much. I’m not the one that told you and Taeyeon to break up. Maybe fight for your happiness. Even Taemin, who knew very little about the girl he likes, fought to find her. You’re a coward Baekhyun. You backed down then and you still haven’t grown the balls to go out and get what you want.” Jongin spoke before storming out of the practice room.

 

Back in Colorado

 

“Why me? You know I don’t like idol work.”

“Come in Katrina. You’re the best one for spinning stories. I don’t think you’ll need to spin anything but just to be on the safe side. Besides don’t you have a friend staying in Korea?”

“Because she wanted too. I don’t.”

“Katrina please….”

“I want a raise. And good housing, I’m not gonna bum a living space off my friend.”

“Done and done. Thank you. You’re really saving my .”

“Don’t I always? When do I leave anyway?”

“ASAP. I’m gonna work on your flight and let you know.”

“Then send the files over for me to read.” Katrina spoke before finally ending the conversation with her boss.

Katrina put her phone on the side table before putting her head in her hands.

“Hey…” Civannah called out as she opened the door to the room. “You good?”

“Yeah. Just another work assignment.” Katrina spoke as she got up from the edge of the bed.

“That bad?!”

“More idol work.” Katrina said, rolling her eyes. “Only this time I have to go stay in Korea for a while.”

“Really?!” Civannah said with excitement as her eyes lit up.

“Really.” Katrina laughed.

“This is great. I can’t believe we’ll both be in Korea. Did they tell you what idol or anything?”

“Not yet. My boss will send over the files when she sends me my ticket.”

“When do you leave?”

“As soon as she buys my ticket. Annoying really.”

“But you love your job anyway…”

“Mhh. So did you need me for anything? I’m sure you didn’t come look for me to hear about my relocation, what’s up?”

“I wanted you to meet my assistant. He used to be a trainee but suffered an injury. I know you don’t like idols but he’s not an idol. He takes good care of me and has become a really great friend to me in the past few months. I want to help him love his dream out and you're the perfect person to help me.”

“I don’t think I’ll even have time to help you if I wanted too.”

“Come on Tri. At least come meet him. Please?” Civannah pouted.

“Fine. I’ve never met so many people through you until these past few months.”

“Do you regret it?” Civannah asked, feeling a little guilty that she may have been a bit pushy in introducing her to Jongin.

“No.” Katrina said with a small smile.

“I’m glad. Come on you’re gonna love Matthew!” Civannah cheered as she grabbed Katrina’s hand and led the blank faced girl with her to the kitchen where Matthew awaited on her computer screen.

“Okay. So I brought her. Matthew say hello to our savior, Katrina.” Civannah smiled before she turned the computer to Katrina.

“So it is you….” Katrina said quietly as her arms crossed and her eyebrow raised.

“You know each other?” Civannah asked curiously.

“I didn't know you and Civannah were friends.” Matthew said quietly.

“I can say the same.”

“Um…” Civannah said as her brain scrambled to find the words to break the growing hostility that she felt growing from Katrina.

“So you didn’t become an idol…. Karma’s a isn’t it?”

“Look Katrina I-”

“Save it. I’d rather burn in hell then help you make a career for yourself.” Katrina said before turning around and leaving the kitchen.

“What was that?!” Civannah quietly yelled so as to not disturb anyone else in the house.

“I made a mistake years ago…” Matthew started only to be cut off by Civannah’s gasp.

“Your him, aren't you? The one to break her heart…”

“I never intended to hurt her..” Matthew said as Civannah closed her eyes.

“I should go. It’s a bit late.” Civannah said, letting out a sigh.

“Yeah. Get some rest…” Matthew said before ending the call.

Civannah closed her computer and continued to sit in her chair. She ran her fingers through her hair but it didn’t help erase the one thought that was running through her mind.

‘Why did it have to be you?’