You Are the Reason I live

PRINCESS WITHOUT HAND

Seulgi walked along the way with her earphones on her ear passing through all the people as if there’s nobody around her. A loud song is playing through her phone to cover people voice that seems too loud for her before a DJ on the radio opened a topic “Dear our listener, our topic today is about reason to live. What’s your reason to live?” the question has been thrown out for the listener and one of them is seulgi. “reason to live huh? Do I even have that?” seulgi muttered and stop for awhile before she continue to walk without any destination in her mind.

Seulgi used to be a happy kid that has a bright life with her parents, but everything has gone wrong by the age of 18 when her parents told her that they decided to live on their own path leaving Seulgi with nothing but money to live on her own. From that day onwards, Seulgi has lost the meaning of life and never believe such thing as love and marriage. Busy with her thought, she does not realize someone has come to her way, making her collided with the girl who is currently on the floor as she is fall after bumping with seulgi.

“what the? Are.. Are you okay?” seulgi asked in concern, feeling bad that she made a girl in fancy dress fall on the floor.

The girl on the floor seems to not bother about the pain and get up straight away, looking at her back where there is two buff men are chasing after her “help! hide me or anything. Please. If you feel bad about bumping onto me please help” the girl pleaded

Looking at the desperate girl, Seulgi held her arm and brought her to an alley that is also a shortcut to her apartment, making the men losing the sight of the girl that Seulgi currently hold on. Seulgi look at her back and when she realized that the coast is clear she lets go of the girl arm.

“what did you do? Why do they chase after you?” Seulgi asked the girl

The girl maintain her breath before she replied Seulgi question “Run away? My family is trying to set me up with a guy that I don’t even know so I run away and they sent those two idiot guys to chase me.”

Seulgi scoffed “never thought things like that still applicable in this modern life. Well then, good luck on hiding yourself from your family. I’m out.” Seulgi said and waved to the girl as she walks.

“wait!” the girl shouted and ran to catch up with Seulgi then held her hand “Can I stay with you for the time being? Please? I’ll pay you back once this over”

Seulgi rise one of her eyebrow “You prefer to stay with stranger instead of going back to your place? You know that I could be a serial killer that trying to kill you after this right? What a weird girl, but no. I’m not ready to have a roommate especially someone that I met briefly just because I save her” she said with a bit of sarcasm on her words.

“But I believe you are not. I believe you are not a serial killer that will kill me. Instead, I believe the opposite, I believe that you are a kind person that will help anybody in needs” The girl said and giving her best smile though her face is telling that she is tired.

Her words is somehow make Seulgi’s heart feels warm, the latter clenches her jaw when the girl said good thing about her as this is the first time in awhile since the last time she heard that from other people’s mouth. Seulgi sighed as she gives up and listened to the girl plead “come with me. Don’t blame me nor regret that you want to stay at my place. I don’t know who you are but I’m sure you’re coming from a rich family or else a princess” Seulgi said as she looked at the girl from head to toe.

The walked from the alley to Seulgi’s apartment is awkwardly quiet until the girl break the silence “So, what’s your name? At least I need to know the person I want to stay with right?”

“Seulgi. Kang. What about you?” Seulgi said though she hesitates to tell her last name because it belongs to his father and she does not even know if she still belongs to the broken family.

Nodded her head, the girl answered “Joohyun. Bae” and smirked as she teased Seulgi with the way her introduced herself. Joohyun is actually well-known as Irene who is the only child from the richest family in the country that they live in. Joohyun parents own many industries and as the only child, her parents wants her to marry someone that is same level as them. She’s been treated like a princess at her house and whatever she wants always be granted aside from the arranged marriage as she can’t avoid that.

Seulgi nodded her head as she seems to heard about someone with Bae as her surname but she just shrugged her thought because there might be plenty people with surname Bae in the country. She stopped walking as they reached at her apartment, a decent apartment with medium security and cheap rental fee “this.. is where I live. Are you sure you want to stay?” Seulgi asked, hoping that Joohyun will give up and change her mind.

“once I set my mind, I wouldn’t changed it. Note that to yourself Seulgi” Joohyun said and went inside the apartment heading to the stair “which floor you’re staying at?” she turned her head and asked Seulgi.

“uuhh.. fifth? The highest is the cheapest. So I choose that” Seulgi shrugged and start climbing up the stairs. Stairs after stairs she climbs without problem but the opposite thing happens to the other girl “how many stairs left? I’m tired” Joohyun whined. Seulgi stopped and looked down “it’s only third floor, two floor left and each floor has 20 stairs so.. 40?” Seulgi said and looking at Joohyun that has cheeks as red as tomato. “here I thought someone made up her mind already” Seulgi said in sarcasm and went to joohyun position. She bend her knees telling Joohyun to come to her back “Get on my back. I carry the princess to her rest place” Seulgi teased.

Joohyun felt pissed off as nobody ever underestimate her and hit seulgi’s back hard “get lost. I can do this on my own. Don’t underestimate me!” she glared at Seulgi and continue climbing the stairs leaving Seulgi behind. Didn’t see that Seulgi is actually smiling at her attitude.

“If you say so” Seulgi said and follow up with Joohyun. At last, they finally made it to reach Seulgi’s floor with sweats all over Joohyun forehead. Seulgi open her apartment door and gesture Joohyun to come inside “welcome to my humble house your highness” Seulgi said. A two bedroom apartment with kitchen and living room is where Seulgi decided to live since she doesn’t have anybody to live with. “you can stay at the guest room while I stay in my room” Seulgi said and show Joohyun the room that she meant.

“thanks Seulgi. I owe you one” Joohyun said and entered the guest room. The guest room is decent, way smaller than Joohyun’s closet at her house but it feels more comfortable. Just when Joohyun about to sit, she heard a knock on the other side “yes Seulgi? You can come in” Joohyun said.

“this is for you to change. It’s new. I haven’t used it yet” seulgi said and passed the pajamas and necessities to Joohyun for her to change. “also, do you mind with instant noodles? That’s the only thing that I can cook without burning the house” Seulgi asked as she rubbed her not itchy neck feeling embarrassed as she isn’t a good cook that always eat junk food.

“thanks Seulgi, and yeah instant noodles is fine” Joohyun said and received the items. Though she never once eat instant noodles, but she doesn’t want to troublesome Seulgi and just agree with whatever the latter made for her. “all right then. I’ll call you once the food is ready” Seulgi said and closed the door, starting to make dinner for both of them. ‘maybe having a roommate isn’t that bad’ Seulgi thought with smile still plastered on her face feeling that today is a weird yet good day.

Seulgi starts by boiling the water and throw all the ingredients inside the pot waiting for the noodles to get chewy before she put two eggs in it. Once it’s cooked, Seulgi put the pot on the table and called Joohyun “Joohyun.. the food is ready.”

Joohyun on the other side is changing her clothes with the one that Seulgi gives before she checked her phone that has lots of missed calls from her parents. She turned off the phone wanted to be free for now and not to think of what happened then lays on the bed. When she heard Seulgi is calling for her, she get up and went out and found Seulgi with a pot full of curly things from Joohyun point of view.

“is this the instant noodles that you’re talking about?” Joohyun asked innocently.

“have you ever eat instant noodles before?” seulgi asked back in disbelief. She never thought that she will meet someone who never had instant noodles before.

Joohyun shyly shake her head “this is the first time I see it and soon going to taste it” joohyun said.

“oh my! Quick take a seat. You just missed a good food for your entire life” Seulgi said in hyperbole as she grab a bowl and chopstick for her and Joohyun.

She divided the noodles evenly before she passed it to Joohyun “eat it while it’s hot because it taste better when it’s hot” Seulgi told and eating her own portion.

Joohyun eyes widen when she took the first bite, never thought it will be so delicious even more delicious than what the chef at her house made “this is good Seulgi. Seriously, it’s delicious” Joohyun exaggerating.

Seulgi grinned at Joohyun statement “I’m glad that you like it then. Eat a lot okay?” Seulgi said and scoop more for Joohyun. They eat quietly, only slurping sound can be heard from both of them until the finished their food. “I’m full” Joohyun said. “of course you are. You eat like one and half portion of it” Seulgi teased and bring the dirty dishes to the basin and washed them. Joohyun remained on her position and looking at Seulgi’s back that currently busy with the dishes “Seulgi? Why do you live alone? Don’t you have family?” Joohyun asked. Seulgi stopped what she’s doing and replied “I believe your parents told you to not meddling with other people business?” then she continue washing the dishes. “I’m sorry to meddle then. I’ll be at my room” Joohyun said feeling dejected from Seulgi answered and leave. Seulgi on the other hand sigh exasperatedly and dry her hands after finished cleaning the dishes then head back to her room. She laid down on her bed, feeling bad towards Joohyun as she sounded so rude just now but at the same time she never ready to talk about her family especially to someone she just met. Feeling tired, Seulgi eyes closing by itself ended the day early maybe she will apologize to Joohyun for being rude tomorrow.

Joohyun stay in the room after feeling disappointed at Seulgi for being rude at her. She looked at her hands and slowly pulling out her left hand look horrible and wonder if Seulgi noticed about how fake her hand is. Though Joohyun parents trying to find her hand replacement that looks exactly like her real hand, it still can be seen clearly that it isn’t real hand especially on the stitches part. Looking at her hand make Joohyun despised herself as nobody will like someone with fake hand like her. She held her tears and lay on her bed doesn’t want to think about her imperfect body and fall asleep eventually.

 

 

Seulgi was sleeping so peacefully until someone knock her apartment door in harsh way. She looked at the clock on the table side, showing that it’s 7 in the morning. She never wake up this early and it make her pissed off to whoever that ruining her beauty sleep. She walked to her apartment door and opened it only to find the two men that looking for Joohyun yesterday “what do you want?” Seulgi said and glared at them pretend to not know who they are

“we’re looking for Ms. Irene. I know she’s inside” Said one of the men.

“I don’t know who Irene is. Stop barging to my house or I’ll call the police” Seulgi threatened.

The loud noises outside made Joohyun come out from the guest room, wondering whom Seulgi fight early in the morning. When she saw the men her eyes widen, can’t believe that they could find her that easily.

Found the person that they looking for the men called Joohyun “Ms. Irene!” then trying to get inside the house.

Seulgi was holding the two men to enter the house by punching them “I told you to stop barging to my house. Which part of it that you don’t understand?!” Seulgi said in angry then look at Joohyun “I thought your name is Joohyun. Why they called you Irene?” seulgi asked.

Joohyun is speechless at how Seulgi trying to protect her from the men that Seulgi actually know whom they are looking for “Irene is what public know about me. Joohyun is my real name” Joohyun explained as there is no point to hide it from Seulgi anymore. Joohyun look at the guard that almost want to hit Seulgi back before she said “ENOUGH! She’s my right-hand woman. You hit her, I’ll make sure both of you lose your job” Joohyun said.

Seulgi’s eyes widen, she never agreed to be Joohyun’s right hand “wait.. what?” Seulgi confused and looked at Joohyun needed more explanation. “Yes Seulgi, I want you to be my right-hand. Someone that I could trust and rely on. Someone that can help me to solve my problem. From today onwards you’ll be staying with me and I don’t accept NO as answer” Joohyun elaborate more.

Seulgi is speechless, it never cross her mind to be Joohyun’s right-hand, she already has a good life on her own so why would she be someone else so called right hand? But after having a fun day with Joohyun yesterday, Seulgi thought that maybe Joohyun can be her reason to live. By staying with her and protecting her. Which is why Seulgi decided “alright. I’ll be your right hand Joohyun” Seulgi said ‘because from today onwards, you’ll be the reason I live in colorful way’ she added on her thought.