It’s In The Past

For You, I’m Taking A Shot
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

- When Minjoo thought her heart was broken for good, the winter replacing the warmth inside her, a bright light brought her back 20 years ago to show her what's in the past.- 

 

________


 

Everything was going well in Minjoo’s life. She was a successful businesswoman, the heir of her family’s business and the current CEO of a sub-branch of their brand. She may be busy with meetings and papers but she always had time for her friends. She always had time to herself.


 

More importantly, she had the love of her life by her side in the form of Kim Chaewon. 


 

They met a long time ago, Minjoo had a part time job at that time, trying to prove she could work like the others even though she was from a quite wealthy family.

 

 On a dark and quiet night, after a tiring and busy day, Minjoo met Kim Chaewon, a mere customer who ordered a hot chocolate. This mere customer stayed by the counter, working on some papers while sipping on her warm beverage with Minjoo looking at her intently. 


 

Few days have passed and this mere customer became a regular every night. Minjoo looked at her still, going through papers, biting the end of her ball pen in between her teeth and still sipping on the hot chocolate she made her. 

 

This mere regular became Kim Chaewon, someone Minjoo would chat with when both of them would be bored as the dark night engulfed the city in a black blanket and dots of white stars above. 


 

After weeks, Kim Chaewon became Chaewonie, a friend. Minjoo always liked chatting with Chaewon after she had a long and never ending shift at this coffee shop. She was lonely at night, no customers here for a coffee or two, nor the company of her coworkers to scold her or to boss her around. However, at night, she had Kim Chaewon now, who although busy with papers and work, she was always there to keep Minjoo company. 



 

Months after and this was now a habit, a routine and something both of them looked out for throughout the day. Chaewon stayed longer as well, from coming there for only 20 minutes or so, to staying hours just to talk with the cute barista. It went until the point where Chaewon would stay until the closing hour, sometimes offering Minjoo some help to close the shop. Of course the younger girl refused. 


 

From the night coffee shop to meeting up during day time, they grew closer. Chaewon had given her phone number to Minjoo, saying they should hang out someday and get to know each other better outside the coffee shop. 


 

Over time the routine has changed, it was now filled with each other’s presence throughout the week. Meeting sometimes for lunch and seeing each other for their regular hot chocolate night and ending it with Chaewon walking Minjoo back to her apartment. Now they could add movies and sleepovers during the weekend in their schedules. 


 

A year and they both started dating. With how fast they got to know each other and how comfortable it was to be with one another, feelings were surely involved in this peculiar story. It started with fluttering hearts, overly bright smiles and butterflies in the stomach. It grew into lingering stares, tempting lips and warm touches. Now it was sweet kisses, comforting hugs and loving whispers. 


 

Slowly, their distinctly different routine became one. It was one routine, for two persons. It was their routine. 


 

Years later and they now became each other’s love, soulmate and heart. 

 

It has been four years now, with Minjoo living in Chaewon’s apartment. Chaewon started her own business, she was the head of a rising clothing brand. Of course it involved a lot of work but Minjoo was always happy to see her lover doing what she always dreamt of. 



 

They both would end their days late, both finishing work at very late hours but they always waited for one another. Like tonight, Minjoo was welcomed home by candles and roses. Chaewon had cooked the dinner for them. 


 

"What is this for ?" Minjoo asked while giving her lover a gentle and thankful kiss.


 

"Nothing, Just wanted to make something special today." Chaewon replied with a loving smile. 


 

Chaewon had finished work early today, as she asked Minjoo how late she was finishing today and seeing how busy she was, she thought why not make something a little different. Something to show her love to her wonderful girlfriend. 


 

"I love you." Minjoo had said as she saw the ‘diner au chandelle’ her lover prepared her. 


 

Later on that night, Chaewon kneeled and showed Minjoo a red velvety box with the brightest and most beautiful ring Minjoo had ever seen in her life. 


 

With a tear and a mouth tearing smile she replied with the three letters Chaewon was dreaming of.


 

"Would you marry me ?" 


 

"Yes."








 

_____



 

They took things slowly, they both were very busy with their works to say the least and both of them agreed on waiting before the marriage. It was for the best as they didn’t have enough time to plan things out for now. 


 

However, Minjoo felt Chaewon closing in herself a little, growing a little distant as if she remembered something. As if she remembered a nightmare. 


 

"Hey. Why this grim face, love ?" Minjoo asked while leaning to kiss Chaewon’s cheek. 


 

"Nothing, just thinking." Chaewon replied, a little cold as if her thoughts were ice. She didn’t even look at Minjoo who frowned a little.


 

"A penny for a thought." Minjoo smiled instead, if something was bothering her fiancée then she will give her all the time in the world to tell her while still making sure she knows that she’ll always be there to listen.


 

"Not now Minjoo. Let’s watch a movie." Chaewon sighed while tuning her head to look for the remote controller, as if avoiding Minjoo.



 

Minjoo looked at her lover moving around inside the living room. All she could feel was the empty seat next to her, growing colder as if the loneliness was a blizzard inside her heart. 


 

Chaewon came back, sitting on the couch yet leaving a considerable amount of space between her and Minjoo. 

 

Minjoo was engulfed in the sound of the movie playing, her face illuminated by the moving lights from the TV ... yet silent. It was all silent to her, the blizzard growing icy and her heart aching at the evident distance in between her and her lover. 



 

Nights. It had been nights since Chaewon started becoming cold. Minjoo felt no warm presence next to her but only the chilly winter. It was no winter outside but for her it just felt like a December icy day. Where a snow storm trapped her in between harsh winds and cold water. She wasn’t shielded by the warm house and home ... she was in the middle of the white silent snow. 



 

Enough was enough. Minjoo was aching and longing for a warm home that could shield her from the storm. She didn’t want this. She wanted the warm feelings that Chaewon always gave her, like a hot chocolate in the night or a warm blanket to sleep. 


 

"Tell me what’s bothering you, Chae." Minjoo asked softly, she looked at the girl in front of her who was munching on the homemade diner. 


 

"There’s nothing to talk about, Minjoo." Chaewon replied while avoiding the pained eyes Minjoo was sporting.


 

Minjoo winced at the sound of her own name coming from the girl’s mouth. Chaewon hasn't once called her by nicknames now.. it was always her name. No more Min or Joo. The times where she called her sweetie, cutie, babe and honey growing distant like old memories in a dusty diary.



 

Minjoo stopped everything, her hands unmoving, her eyes lost in hurt and her heart beating dangerously slow as if the ice was freezing it. 


 

"You should eat before it goes cold." Chaewon said as she noticed Minjoo not eating anymore.


 

"You’re the cold one here Chae." Minjoo retorted not even looking up. 


 

Chaewon felt like a dagger was thrown at her by the tone Minjoo used, her words like needles. 


 

"Tell me ! Did I do something wrong ? Are you upset ? You promised to tell me everything, like how I promised to tell you everything on my side as well." Minjoo looked up, eyes reflecting pain, tears appearing like snow melting in water drops. 


 

"It’s not about you, okay. Stop it now and let’s eat." Chaewon said back, her eyes looking elsewhere.


 

"Is it because I came home late because of work recently ? The lunch I forgot to eat last month ? The time I asked if we should visit your parents ?" Minjoo asked, she wanted to know what was bothering Chaewon as the coldness was starting to grow bigger in between them. 


 

Seeing how Chaewon visibly flinched at the last, Minjoo knew it was about the older girl’s parents. It was last month, Minjoo asked the girl if it was a good idea to visit her parents to announce their engagement. They had already received the blessings from Minjoo’s but they never visited Chaewon’s parents. 


 

She was curious as to why the girl never mentioned her parents before. 


 

"Minjoo." Chaewon said, like a warning to not continue further.


 

But Minjoo was tired. She was tired of walking through a blizzard, no home to shelter her and no one to help her. 


 

"Okay ! Nevermind telling your parents. Is it good now ? Can we go back to cuddles and kisses ?  I have enough of coming back to the cold silent instead of a warm home !" Minjoo exploded, she was exhausted. 


 

"It’s not that Minjoo !" Chaewon raised her own voice as well, looking mad and upset all of a sudden. Her eyes were growing red.


 

Minjoo gulped at the sight, she was a little scared but then, she was more afraid of the blizzard. She pushed away the warnings telling her to not push further, she didn’t want to live in constant winter anymore.


 

"Then what is it then !? Tell me ! I’m tired of your coldness. Aren’t we supposed to get married next year ?" Minjoo asked while choking on her own emotions. 


 

"Exactly! I’m thinking that I made a mistake !" Chaewon dropped the bomb, making Minjoo freeze. 



 

Chaewon was caught up in her own worries and doubts, so much that moved by itself, her voice letting out her darkest thoughts.



 

"I shouldn’t have asked you to marry me ! You’re happy now !" Chaewon said one last time, panting at her own outburst but only coming back to her senses as she saw the tears streaming down the beautiful face in front of her. 



 

"At least you said something." Minjoo mumbled while leaving the table. 


 

Minjoo locked herself in her room, taking in all she heard so far, her heart breaking again and again at the words replaying in her mind. She finally had her answer, the blizzard had stopped but now she was greeted with void and emptiness. She was falling into the infinite darkness and no light was there to save her. 






 

Chaewon looked at the locked door, memories replaying in her mind, she choked on her own saliva and felt the distress filling her mind. It was all too similar. She was just like him. What she was worried about became reality. 




 

Minjoo stayed in her room without leaving for the whole night, her mind was frozen with the words from the last dinner. Her heart was still shattering painfully. She should probably tell the office that she was taking a break but her phone was in the living room and she clearly couldn’t think of work right now.


 

Her own bubble had bursted and all its warmth had escaped. 



 

She stayed there until sunrise, not sleeping, not eating and not drinking. 


 

She was frozen and restless by the cold emptiness inside of her, she was full of the bittersweet memories in her mind and she was quenching her thirst in her tears that seemed to never stop flowing.


 

Suddenly she saw a bright light by the window, so bright it made her look up.


 

She looked out the window for that light, it was bright. The brightness was warm, she was longing for it, the warmth she had missed so much. 




 

As painful it was to look at the bright stars, she closed her eyes. Feeling her body enveloped in the source of warmth. Like a blanket, like a home to go back to.




 

Opening her eyes, she looked around. The neighborhood was unfamiliar, the surroundings unknown. 


 

She was at a beach, the grey sky was clouded with equally grey clouds. The warm blue sky was missing. The sea wasn’t shining and welcoming, the waves looked unforgiving and the water was like the sky, sad and upset. 


 

The sand under her feet felt wet and rough, like sandpaper. 


 

She looked around, watching the grey reality she was in, the sound of the waves hitting the shore in big movements like a mass coming down its momentum and crashing down with all its weight.


 

She felt like this, a wave going up, growing heavier with time, filling up and as it reached its momentum, it came crashing back down. The weight acting like a crashing force and breaking down in its own fall. 


 

Minjoo heard a sob next to her, it caught her by surprise and as she looked down she saw a small girl crouching down on the sand. 



 

The little girl was crying. 


 

Just like her. 

 

Just like her, she was full of sadness and pain.


 

The only differences were their ages, size and being. However both shared the same sadness and pain. They cried to the sea, salty water meeting salty tears. 


 

Minjoo crouched down next to the kid, both looking at the waves with a sense of understanding and familiarity with themselves.



 

"How are you, kid ?" Minjoo asked, the kid was still looking at the mass of water in all its grey splendour.



 

"Sad, just like you I assume, unnie." The kid replied, for such a young child, the answer seemed very mature. 


 

Minjoo felt bad for her, a kid who had seen too much cruelty that she can’t be a kid anymore. Forced to be mature like an adult as life was unforgiving.


 

"You’re right." Minjoo replied. This kid had a familiar way of talking, it somehow made her warm inside. 


 

She smiled at the thought, it looked way too familiar but a sudden flash of reality broke her small happiness. Instead she looked at the kid, the small girl was still looking at the sea. 



 

"What about you show me around, I don’t know this place much." Minjoo smiled at the kid who lit up at the words. 


 

Nothing was better to forget sadness than doing something else. It seemed like a great deal for the two of them as it would both make them forget about the cruel reality.


 

"Sure Unnie, let me show you around the city." 


 

The child smiled as they stood up. 


 

Minjoo felt warm as the little girl took her hand in hers, moving far away from the grey sea.


 

They walked throughout the city, the kid stopping to look at the shops and smiling at some odd statues and fountains that decorated the city. Minjoo found it nice to blend in with the people, not in a formal attire anymore, no business talk and no grumpy looking old hyenas to negotiate with.


 

She liked how people didn’t pay a look at her, as if she wasn’t there. It was nice to feel normal and not some rich and important person. 


 

"Let’s get an ice cream." Minjoo smiled as she saw the ice cream parlour not too far. 


 

The kid smiled at her, as if she wanted this so much as well.


 

Entering the place with the doorbell ringing, Minjoo looked at the vintage look of the place. As if it was one of those places trapped in time. 


 

"Oh, you’re here again." The old man looked at the kid with a small smile ... almost pitying her.


 

Minjoo frowned at the sight.


 

"Could I have a mint-choco ice cream, sir ?" The kid nodded before asking

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter