The Waiting (MiChaeng)

Songs About Us

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaAMd5R8Jig&list=RDMMZaAMd5R8Jig&start_radio=1]

Flash forward…

A week later, I’m now at the airport waiting for my flight to be called. I brought most of my stuff with me as if the presentation goes well, I’ll be staying in Paris for good. My friends just left after dropping me off. It took a while before they finally let go of the group hug earning us some attention as although we haven’t been Twice for years, people still recognize us. We weren’t complete though as you had to meet your parents the same day. It , I know but I didn’t have a choice but leave without saying goodbye in person.

My flight number was just called so I picked up my bag and headed to the gate. Showed my ticket and passport to the attendant and got inside the plane. I made sure my phone is fully charged and filled with songs to accompany me through the long flight ahead. The songs were actually all Twice songs because I really do miss it. The hours of dance practice, recordings, guestings and concerts, were all tiring but doing it with the members made it less stressful. Besides, we were doing something we all love. And every moment, I get to be with you.

The plane just took off and I leaned my head on the window and just listened to our songs. It feels good to reminisce all the memories we had as a group. I kind of missed the busy schedule that we had and all the times we had to sneak out just so we could go on our ‘date’, the secret hand holding or hugs, the stolen glances, stolen kisses and moments we just lay on the bed thinking about our future.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Charles De Gaulle Airport. Local time is 19:00 and the temperature is 26°F. For your safety and comfort, please remain seated with your seat belt fastened until the Captain turns off the Fasten Seat Belt sign. This will indicate that we have parked at the gate and that it is safe for you to move about. Please check around your seat for any personal belongings you may have brought on board with you and pleas use caution when opening the overhead bins, as heavy articles may have shifted around during the flight. If you require deplaning assistance, please remain in your seat until all other passengers have deplaned. One of our crew members will then be pleased to assist you. On behalf of Korean Air and the entire crew, I’d like to thank you for joining us on this trip and we are looking forward to seeing you on board again in the near future. Have a nice stay!”

The in-flight announcement was just made and I jerked off from my slumber. I'm finally here, in Paris, the city of love yet I don't feel 100% happy. Yes, I will be fulfilling a dream I've had since I was young but it doesn't feel right that you aint here with me.

When the plane finally touchdown, the other passengers started getting out of their seats and out of the plane and so did I. Walking towards the baggage area I waited for my luggage to arrive. Once I saw them, I grabbed them and walked out of the gates. Got a cab and told the hotel I will be staying at for the next few days. After thirty minutes I arrived at Rose Bourbon Hotel, checked in and went up the room that the Korean Arts Group booked for me. I was shocked that they gave me a suite like those you get when you go on honeymoons. I would be happy with just a simple room you know.

The flight was really long and although I slept most of the time, I just feel so tired. I looked around the room and noticed that everything came in pairs: slippers, plates, glasses, bathrobes, towels and so on. I can't help but feel bummed out. Thanks for reminding me I don't have anyone with me okay, that I'm spending my time in Paris, again the city of love - A.L.O.N.E.

After I showered, I put on some new clothes and went out the balcony and was mesmerized by the view. Paris looks really beautiful at night and the Eiffel Tower shining ever so brightly. The mini fridge contained some liquor so I got one out and lit a cigarette. It was not that cold but being by myself in this wonderful city makes me shiver. I can't help but feel even sadder with the thought that I'm so far away from my family and friends...and you.

It was getting late and I had to wake up early the next day, so I finished my drink and went back inside. I hid under the covers and waited until sleep comes (wishing you're doing okay).

The next few days were spent at the museum showcasing my paintings then at night I would explore the city. I haven't gone up to the Eiffel Tower because then I would be breaking a promise I once made, so I roam the streets.

The event of showcasing paintings from selected people ended and a ceremony was held to the top artists. Among the twenty people invited, I was given a special award for having to convey lots of different emotions in a single painting. It’s inspired by a memory I had of you when we were filming the music video of “Feel Special”. It was the scene where we met, where you smiled at me but your eyes told a different story as it showed sadness. I know you were still struggling at that time but you fought through it. And I am really proud of you, I always will.

Everyone was cheering for me when I was handed the award and was asked about my inspiration with such piece. As much as I did not want to speak in front of people, I mean, it has really been a while since I did and even with my members I still get shy. I stood in front and explained my painting.

“We all have our own demons and we all have our own ways on how to cope with it. The person in this painting is someone I know dearly. She struggled to deal with her own demons but refused to lose the fight. It took some time for her and even though she is surrounded with people who love her, at times she still feels she’s alone to face the world. She is seen smiling but deep inside she’s hurting. And I know we all have those moments in our lives when we just pretend that everything’s alright (Chorahan nobody-eseo dasi somebody). Her face is in black and white representing her own persona of feeling that there’s no more color in her world then as you look past beyond that, you’ll see the colorful shadows of the ones behind her representing those people who will always love and support you no matter what, and if you look closely at her eyes, the blending of the colors there shows a figure of a person. That one person you will look up to no matter what, that one person who you can get your strength from. That one person who will stay with you when all else fails. That one person who you didn’t realize never left, who is willing to wait, who loves you more than anything.”

I ended my speech and earned a round of applause. Some pictures were taken and the ceremony ended. My professor called me up and told me that I was being offered an apprentice post for his colleague at the National School of Fine Arts and I was left speechless. The new term won't start in a month and everything else would be provided so all I had to do was say yes. This really is one hell of an opportunity but I couldn't give my answer yet and he understood that, so he told me to get back to him in a week. I went back to my hotel room and let it all sink in. My instinct was to let my family and friends know but I wanted you to be the first person who I share this good news. I got your name ready to be called but then South Korea is 7 hours ahead and it would be 3am there so I just did my own celebration with the liquor available in the fridge.

I spent the following days just going around the city but most of the time I would be in Place du Tertre. I've created a few portraits for some locals and travelers and I plan to still continue doing that if I did decide on taking the offer. As I wander the streets, I always imagine you being with me. Holding hands while walking, taking pictures, trying new food, getting on a boat and touring, we would've left our love padlock at Pont des Arts if it was still allowed then we'll go up the Eiffel Tower. It puts a smile on face as I imagine you smiling as we enjoy the wonders of the city.

I miss you. I really miss you. And I will stand by what I said to you that night. I will wait for you no matter how long it takes. I won't ever let go of this love I have for you.

 

The day that I have to give my answer to the offer came and I was still not decided. So to calm myself I went back to Place du Tertre since the meeting was not supposed to happen at night. I was just about to gather my things after having just finished the last portrait of the day when someone towered over me as I was bending down to clean my space.

“Bonjour.” I greeted.
 

"Pouvez-vous me dessiner un portrait? (Can you draw me a portrait?)"
 

"Sûr. Un instant s'il vous plaît. (Sure. Just one moment please.)"

I looked up and immediately stood up when I saw you. I could not believe my eyes. I think I blinked too many times just to make sure I wasn't seeing things. That maybe my mind was playing with me since you've been on my mind.

“Y…you’re here?” I asked in disbelief.

You smiled and my heart just flipped. I’ve been dreaming of seeing your smile again.

“Yes I am here Chaengie” You responded. Heart double flip.

I was still in shock that I abruptly asked. “H...how did you find me?”

“Oh, I saw the photo you posted a week ago and researched about it. Not good with directions so I had to ask around”

Still in a shock phase. “W…who did you come with?” I had to ask cause you never travel alone.

“I came here alone. I came straight from the airport to see you”

“What?” Okay my brain stopped working.

“Are you done for the day, maybe we could go somewhere?”

I nodded excitedly and gathered my stuff as quickly as I can. As soon as everything is inside my bag, we took a cab back to the hotel so you could leave your things. We went to a nearby park and settled on one of the benches. The last time we sat on a bench in a park was when we broke up and for a moment, I got a feeling of dejavu.

“Chaeng?”

“Yes Minari?”

You bit your lip which is a habit that you do when you’re nervous. “I…I want to start of by saying I’m sorry. For hurting you, for ignoring you, for leaving you behind. The moment I walked out of the dorm, I wanted to go right back inside, cause just hearing you plead broke my heart even more but I had to do it. I had to go away and find my own path. After the first year, when I heard that you did apply to Art School, I was so happy for you. During that year, I went back doing ballet, even started teaching it to kids at the Dance Company near our house and even though I was doing something I love, something felt not right. All those years I spent back home, I couldn't shake the feeling that this was not where I’m supposed to be. I tried to do other things just to prove to myself that I’m okay, that I’ll be okay but deep inside, there is this one thing that overpowers everything. And that is my feelings for you Chaeng. I’ve been seeing it the wrong way. I thought it was a threat to my sanity that I’ve been depending on you too much that I was challenged by my own self to learn how to be on my own. But I realized, took me five years to realize that I needed you like you needed me. That we actually balance each other out, that we are each other’s other half. And I’m really sorry that it took me a long time and I hope I’m not too late. But can it still be ‘us’?”

Chaeng.exe has stopped working.

“Chaeng?” you said then held my hand.

I looked you in the eyes and held you tighter. “You didn’t tell me to wait but I did. You didn’t tell me to hope but I did. You didn’t tell me you don’t love me anymore so I loved you even more. All those times we were apart, I have been patiently waiting for you There were times when my patience was being tested but I held on much longer because I know, one day, you will be back. And now you being here, I still can’t believe it, I feel like I’m just dreaming, is this real?” I asked and you gave me the best response by latching your lips into mine.

After a few seconds, you pulled away. “Hmm. Still doesn’t feel real though.” I teased and you kissed me one more time and I just melted on your lips. We didn’t care that there were people passing by, we were in our own world. It must have been several minutes before we pulled away from each other, both gasping for air, we were still facing each other, foreheads touching.

“I love you Son Chaeyoung” You whispered.

“And I love you more Myoui Mina”