Tteobokki

My Boss Lady
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

¡ A quick update !

Daegu, South Korea - Capital - November 20 - unspecified - Seulgi

Day 20.

 

Three days.

 

There’s never a day I didn’t count how many days I’m stuck with this situation; can’t still figure out if I’m in the wrong or right, but one thing’s for sure, it got better than before.

 

The others went back home already, including my brother and Hyoyeon-unnie, but Taeyeon-unnie decided to stay since she doubted I won’t be fine all alone (which is half true). I didn’t want her to bother though she’s a stubborn little midget, and perhaps she’s somehow correct. My friends, well, they decided to go home since my boss insisted; they can be the main trouble sometimes.

 

Speaking of her family, they are warm enough to treat me,  especially Inna-imo and Yoona-imo. Well, Irene-ssi’s dad scares me the most, along with her siblings except the Heechul and Seokjin who seem to be calm about what is happening.

 

And right at this moment, the aunties took me out for a little tour. Irene-ssi couldn’t come since she has been busy these past few days and I wonder what, but I have a hunch it’s all about business. She’s too workaholic and I’m starting to get worried.

 

Did she already ate?

 

“Seulgi! Try this one!” Inna comes at me and hands clothings for the nth time this hour.

 

We are playing dressing and makeups, which they said they’ll buy me whatever as a sign of gratitude (and I don’t even know what they are thanking for), and buying me clothes is not even necessary! I don’t have the guts to say that out loud also.

 

“Inna-imo, it’s already too much. You guys already bought enough.”

 

Inna waves her hands in disagreement. “You don’t know how much I want to dress you!”

 

“Just don’t suffocate her too much.” Yeaji jokes. “Anyway, try this one. Catch!”

 

I immediately caught the dress (which I believe is very expensive since we are in a prestigious store), afraid that I might rip it and pay for it alone. I accidentally looked at the price tag and my eyes widened unbelievably.

 

Nuh-uh. This clothing is not for me!

 

I shook my head as a sign of denying the clothings they are about to give me again, but they are hard-headed as a rock. So, they insisted which left me no choice but to accept and accept.

 

They push me towards the fitting room and want me to try everything they picked (which is a lot) and the fabric of the clothes are very fancy, I must say.

 

I cannot pay for this.

 

I sighed and tried everything they want me to wear. After checking everything and them judging the look, we eventually finished the dressing and makeups session. Muttering a sign of relief, the guardsmen carried everything from the back while we get out of the store to head to another one.

 

“You never mentioned your dad.” Jihyun asks while she scans products from left to right.

 

I walk beside her, shocked and speechless. What should I say? “There’s nothing much to tell.”

 

She looks at me carefully. Jihyun looks like she doesn’t want to meddle, but her curiosity says it all. “Daddy issues?”

 

“Y-you could say that.”

 

Remembering my dad used to be is very painful. I don’t even know how I buried it deep in my mind, but whenever the topic is brought up, I don’t want to continue any further.

 

She chuckles. “We all have daddy issues.”

 

Maybe we all have, and that I can agree.

 

After that, she walks away to pay for the things she picked. Wandering my eyes around, I’ve come to realize being wealthy somehow doesn’t answer every problem, which just .

 

All of a sudden, my phone rings:

 

Joohyun.

 

Strange. She is not the person to call first, but I still pressed the answer button anyways.

 

“H-hello?”

 

“Seulgi?” Her voice contains hesitation, which is very odd of her.

 

“Ah yes, CE- Joohyun?” I remembered, I’m not alone.

 

“Are you at the Manor?”

 

“No, your aunts took me out today.”

 

“I see…”

 

“Uhm, is there something wrong?”

 

“I’m just wondering…” she paused, “c-can you accompany me?”

 

“Of course!” I answered in an instant since it is still my job to do so. Also, I’ve been used accompanying her when everything was still normal for us.

 

“A-are you sure? Aren’t you busy?”

 

“Not at all! I can manage to, don’t worry. Where are you?”

 

“I’m going out now. Meet me at Jung-Gu San?”

 

“Sure, Ce- J-joohyun.”

 

The call ended and not wasting any time, I marched towards Irene-ssi’s aunts to bid my goodbye today.

 

“Jiwon-imo.” I called the tall lady.

 

“Yes, dear?”

 

“I gotta go. J-joohyun wants me to accompany her somewhere.”

 

“Sure! Don’t take too long, arasso?”

 

I nodded and bid my goodbyes to the others and immediately went outside. Not after a minute, I heard footsteps behind me; turning my neck around, I saw four bodyguards right after me.

 

“Miss Kang, where are we headed to?”

 

“There’s no need for a scouting, Joaquin.” I talked to the foreign guard who’s the head chaperone of Irene Bae. (He’s awesome, I tell you).

 

“But Miss Bae insisted, Miss Kang.”

 

I smiled. “I’ll be fine.”

 

Before he can argue more, I already ran off to the exit of the grand mall. He couldn’t disobey me, could he? Not that I enjoy this new unlocked ‘ability’ of mine, but I’m not used to having big men guarding me. I prefer walking on the side streets or taking a subway or a bus… not this.

 

I checked for the phone Irene-ssi gave me to looks for unread messages and emails, but gladly there’s none. Jung-Gu is not that far away from the Capital so I might just take a walk since I need this.

 

People are not busy with their phones when they are walking; stop lights and traffics are not really present here in Daegu. Unlike Seoul, that city is very busy even at night. Daegu is… somehow peaceful. Since Shrines and most of Ancient Heritage are located here, this city is very beautiful. My hometown isn’t that much. Ulsan’s buildings are mostly factories, hence being a large city overall; but there’s nothing much to say about it.

 

I’m almost near Jung-Gu, just minutes away before I reach the district. Not until a car honks behind me and I instantly look back to see a white Mercedes-Benz with black tinted window.

 

I immediately knew who it was.

 

My feet halt and my hands that were inside my pocket became warm despite it being cold because of the weather. The backseat’s window goes down and it reveals the raven, all being gorgeous with her beige turtleneck.

 

“What are you doing wandering around alone? Where’s Joaquin? He’s supposed to—”

 

“It’s fine, CEO-nim. I really need walk anyway.”

 

She sighs before gesturing me to get in. Without a word, I opened the handle of the passenger’s seat. Not a second before, my boss looks at me in confusion.

 

“Where are you going?” She looks up from her phone.

 

Unsure of what she meant. “I-I was about to sit—”

 

“Who told you to sit there?” Her tone was cold.

 

“B-but—”

 

“Come here.” She pats the seat next to her. “Remember now Kang, you’re not my secretary anymore.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The entire ride was silent and I never dared to say a word since she’s busy with her phone.

 

Now that we are in Jung-Gu, I tail her everywhere she goes since I don’t know Daegu that much. Actually, we are in a hospital and it looks very fancy. Irene-ssi never uttered a word since we got out of the car, and I guess it’s better not to pry anymore. The nurses were all smiling at me and I can’t help but to return the gesture.

 

After taking the elevator and walking throughout the endless hallways, we stopped in front of a golden door with dragons embroidered in it… and a name everyone knows.

 

Bae Sanghoon.

 

I widened my eyes. The great Bae Sanghoon.

 

Irene opens the door silently and goes in, and follows her inside without making a sound. The room was guarded by two men in black suits, probably they hired it to avoid any trouble. Knowing Bae Sanghoon, they can kill him anytime.

 

The sound of monitors, the footsteps, and the clanking of heels are the only noise present.

 

I peeked from my boss’s shoulder to take a glimpse of the old man lying on the bed. Some would probably think he’s dead because of his condition.

 

Irene goes to the foot of the hospital bed to look properly at the old man before signaling the two men to go out and give us privacy. Irene is really a quiet person, very serious, and straightforward. Two years of working for her, I never got the chance to see whatever she’s thinking, the patterns she’s holding. Not once I have ever read her openly. Not even Sooyoung who probably spent half her life working for her.

 

I guess that’s a defensive trait of hers.

 

She heaves a sigh before facing me. “You look weird just standing there. Why don’t you come closer?”

 

“M-me?” I pointed myself unsurely.

 

She crosses her arms before giggling. “I need to tell you something.”

 

Tell me something? Now, I’m curious of what it is and steps near her, perhaps putting a great distance.

 

“What is it, CEO-nim?”

 

“What do you think of him?” Irene points the old man lying lifelessly on the bed, with tubes and wirings connected to his body.

 

I ponder for a moment. Bae Sanghoon is a man of words. He’s simply very admirable but I know nothing of him except being an icon in the business world.

 

“There’s so many ways to describe him, but the most outstanding word will be ‘superior’.”

 

“So you think he’s superior?”

 

“I guess so.”

 

She giggles again. “When I first hired you, I knew you’d do well and I’m right. You’re smart, dedicated, and passionate.”

 

I didn’t utter a word since I don’t know if I should say something, and also, I don’t know what to say. I don’t even know what is happening.

 

“But I guess you’re wrong this time.”

 

Huh?

 

“He’s not superior. Never has been.” Her tone was something I’m not used to. “Don’t ever think of us that way.”

 

“Uh—”

 

“Don’t ever think of me that way.” Irene faces me. “I need to tell you something.”

 

I gulped. Not knowing what is going to happen. Whatever she’s going to tell me, I know it’s not good.

 

“Harabeoji was something. He filed his last testament that I should get married before he dies, right?”

 

That’s why you’re looking for someone to settle with then…

 

I didn’t utter a word again. I don’t know if I should at the moment.

 

“Anyway, enough of that.” S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter