The Training from Heck

My Boss Lady
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Daegu, South Korea - Bae Manor - November 22 - 7 am - Seulgi Day 12.  

Ouch.

 

Whoever the is kicking my back, I’m trying to get a goddamn ounce of sleep here, for christ’s sake!

 

Stop it.

 

Who the ? Seriously, whoever you are, leave me the alone. I’m begging you.

 

 

“Get up.” Another kick landed on my precious back.

 

Who the hell?

 

I groaned and screamed inside. Just who would disturb someone else’s sleep? Like, are you some kind of a maniac or what?

 

“Don’t make me repeat myself, Kang.” Another kick but it was a little bit harder this time.

 

My back, goddamn it.

 

I opened my eyes and yes, I’m on the floor and it was carpeted but it’s still the floor, and I’m lying on my front. So whoever is kicking me should rot in—

 

Irene groaned audibly and grabbed her hair in frustration. “Are you that heavy sleeper?”

 

Hearing her cold voice in the morning makes me widen my eyes and instantly stands up without a doubt. Okay, standing up immediately is not the best option since that hurt my cord, but do you feel what I’m feeling? Attentiveness and other things I couldn’t even make a word of.

 

Ow. What time is it?

 

“You have one hour to fix yourself.” She then leaves me and heads for the bathroom.

 

I was left dumbfounded and sitting on my spot. What does she mean by one hour? One hour to prepare for what?

 

After a minute of probably being confused once again, there was a knock on the door.

 

Should I answer it? I mean, Irene-ssi is inside the bathroom…?

 

I lazily stand up while my vision is just starting to focus on the surroundings. I gotta admit, I’m still dizzy so what the hell.

 

Just as the moment I grabbed knob and twisted it, a female in floral suit while her hair was tied in a bun greeted me.

 

“Miss Kang.” She smiles fully. “Breakfast is ready.”

 

I rubbed my eyes and nodded at the latter. Just as she was gone and nowhere in sight, the bathroom door opened and revealed a lady in a purple robe.

 

Irene is a really quiet person. She won’t talk unless you talk to her, which I find really dull. Well, she’s quite boring to be with and actually it’s very tedious.

 

After closing the door, Irene is looking at me in her usual mien. Like I said, she’s very unreadable because of her blank expressions.

 

What did I do this time?

 

“Who was it?”

 

“Uh–” I looked back at the door and back to her, “–is it your maid or?”

 

“Never mind.” She brushes her hand before eying me from toe to head. “Why aren’t you dressed yet?”

 

You said one hour!

 

“Yeah, I’m about to.”

 

She raised a brow and decided to just ignore me. Once I grabbed my towel, another knock came again.

 

Irene decides to open it this time while I’m grabbing everything I need to clean myself.

 

“Miss Joohyun.” The lady (which is not the lady from a while ago) greeted and handed her two… what is that? “They are waiting for you at the dinner table.”

 

I stopped whatever I’m doing and eyed the clothes the lady gave. Why would they give clothes? We have our own personal things.

 

Irene placed it on the center of the bed and proceeds to do whatever she wants to do. While I decides to just take a bath already.

 

I cannot distinguish what clothes they gave. It was two… dresses? I don’t know, but it was very long. It was white and black dresses. Is it even a dress?

 

I mean, the lady gave two dresses but we have our own clothes so why would they give us clothes? Unless there's an occasion or something. 

 

Once I’m done, I opened the door and was greeted by Aphrodite herself. She’s wearing the white one and her aura is something you want to take for yourself.

 

U-uhm.

 

I remained frozen on the bathroom doorway while I was staring at the epitome in front of me. Now I know the dress,

 

it was hanfu.

 

“Peer you eyes away from me.” She warned without glancing at me.

 

Okay. Geez.

 

I rolled my eyes covertly and just proceeds to dry my hair while walking to my luggage. Just as I opened the zipper of the bag, I felt the stare boring through me.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

“Getting clothes?”

 

She frowns and then points where the black hanfu is. “That is your clothes.”

 

No, no. I ain’t wearing that!

 

I widened my eyes in disbelief. “No, no, no.” I shake my head vigorously.

 

There’s no way I’m wearing that.

 

“Yes, because you have to.” She insists.

 

“Wh-why would I have to?” I scrunch my face in a way.

 

“Because it is a Bae way.”

 

A Bae way? But I’m a ing Kang.

 

“But—”

 

“Kang.” She warned in a tone I find frightening.

 

“Okay.” I squeezed my voice.

 

I proceed to grab the clothes and run towards the bathroom again.

 

Look, I really don’t want to wear these kind of s, you know? I get it, it’s silk and it looks good on everyone, but it’s freaking heavy and hot. Seoul and Daegu is different, even though if you say it’s winter season.

 

Once I was done, I looked at the mirror and my blonde hair is blending the color of the hanfu.

 

Is hanfu for Chinese right? Why would we wear these instead?

 

But I gotta admit, it looks good on me. Seriously, thank god it looks good on me. Now, I’m satisfied.

 

When I came out, Irene wasn’t even there anymore. Not even a single trail of her presence was recognized.

 

Did she just leave me? Wow.

 

I mean, she’s the type of person to leave a person hanging. Like I said, she hates waiting. It’s not her trait to be patient.

 

I shake my head and fix myself before aiming for the door. When I opened it, I saw the latter standing in front of the doorway.

 

“What took you so long?” She raises a brow.

 

It was only seven minutes! 

 

“CEO-nim?”

 

“I told you to call me Joohyun.” She grits her teeth. “You can only address me as your usual one when we’re alone.”

 

But we’re alone…?

 

“Mianhae.”

 

Just let it go, bear.

 

She then hauled me along with her while I was struggling with this new outfit. So basically, the ones we bought are gonna be stuck inside my luggage, aren’t they?

 

There are many hallways and directions of this hanok mansion. Since it’s a hanok, what would you expect? Of course, you’ll expect many sideways and corridors implanted inside this house.

 

When we found the grand staircase, a group of butlers and other maids were stationed on the foot of the said stairs. But the big question is, where is the dining area?

 

Both of us came down from the stairs and Irene led me to another hallway until we reached a big oak double doors. Okay, that is ing fancy. This house keeps on surprising me, like legit.

 

The two butlers stationed on it opened the big oak doors and it revealed the most ing classy piece of art– I mean, dining hall.

 

What the …?

 

I gaped at everything and my eyes cannot truly believe what they are seeing. The dining hall has a big glass roof and with veins in every side. The roof looks green since it’s covered with leaves along with the big glass pane and what the is this flooring? Like really, it does look like a god crafted these, damn.

 

The Baes are seated in a very long dining table, and guess what? They are all wearing what we’re currently wearing, which you already know the name of.

 

“Joohyun.” Yoona greeted. “And good morning to you too, Seulgi.”

 

We both took our seat which is just beside each other. Remember, I need to play my cards right. No room for errors or else this whole ery will blow up.

 

“I manifested that those kind of clothes are really good on you.” Yeaji said.

 

On table, the main blood of the Baes are all around, including Joohyun’s dad and siblings. I wonder where her mom is?

 

“Thank you.” I smiled.

 

“Perhaps, you should wear most of those since you’ll be staying here.”

 

“It is basically all just for standards anyway.” Gyunghui said.

 

You wear these just for standards? Huh.

 

 “But why hanfu? Aren’t they for Chinese?” I asked.

 

Gyunghui chortled. “Oh dear–” she looked at Irene, “–didn’t you tell her our family history?”

 

Irene peeked at me and smiled forcefully. “Maybe she forgot–” she slightly pinched me on the waist, “–right, love?”

 

I nodded leisurely and chuckled nervously. “A-ah. Yeah, must have been gone in my head, you know.”

 

Nearly pushed the danger button there.

 

“It’s fine. Not all the people that surrounds us know about it.” Gyunghui reassured. “But since you brought it up, our ancestors were actually Chinese.”

 

Oh.

 

“Ah, yes. I remember now. CE– Joohyun told me about it.” I looked at Irene and she’s covertly killing me with her glare since I almost spilled the most deadliest secret of the history.

 

“It is actually about business why they migrated here in Korea.” She continued. “Guess Korea is a better trading position for them.”

 

“Speaking of business, how is Singapore?” Yeaji asked.

 

Singapore.

 

“It’s fine. Everything is working out just how I want it to be.”

 

“That’s good.” Jicheol said. “Joohyun, you should really chain this one since, you know, girls and boys might steal her from left to right.”

 

Laughter filled the four walls while the both of us fake a laugh every time. What do you expect? Being part of this play or game or whatever you call this, is very stressing and terribly hard.

 

“You should invite your family here. We want to meet who made Kang Seulgi.” Hyunbin suggested.

 

“Her family might be busy.” Irene interrupted then looked at me. “They have a lot to take care back in Singapore.”

 

“Yeah, they might be—”

 

“Oh come on!” Jiwon whined. “I’m sure they are looking forward about it.”

 

“Seulgi, we really want to meet them. Even Seojoon wants to meet them, right brother?” Jicheol said.

 

Both of us looked at the latter and waited for his response. “Of course.” He dully said.

 

Typical.

 

“See?” Hyunbin said. “It will be great if they attend.”

 

I looked at Irene with an unsure expression. Who would I bring? My brother is busy studying, my father is not well, and the unnies might have other things to do. And I don’t have any appropriate people in mind!

 

“Stop stressing her.” Irene said. “She’ll think about it.”

 

“We got a lot to show you, Seulgi.” Jihyun said. “I always want a dongsaeng.”

 

“But fortunately, she doesn’t have one, so it will be you for the mean time.” Her husband winked.

 

I chuckled. “It will be my pleasure.”

 

God, they aren’t that bad though.

 

“Our other relatives will arrive tomorrow. Might as well invite yours so it will be a one way meeting.” Yoona said.

 

“I’ll think about it.”

 

“You have one day to do it.” The former smiled. “But for now, let’s enjoy our meal.”

 

Yep, let’s enjoy our meal. Bon Appétit

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After that course meal and talking about the things I don’t even pay heed to, they decided to stroll me around their thrity-two hectare land. I mean, I need energy to explore this place. It’s ing massive as hell. Irene’s dad and his two older brothers left because they had errands to attend, while her younger siblings stayed.

 

Currently, we are at the back lawn and the garden seems to be more beautiful in the day. Everything is just ing splendid. Whoever made this kind of architecture is a god-tiered man.

 

They all decided to play archery since they said it’s their traditional game and practice. So they all learned it since they were in their childhood days. I don’t know how to play that so I’ll just watch them shoot arrows whenever they want to.

 

“Ace again.” Yeaji smriked after she hit the bullseye.

 

“You’ll miss soon enough.” Hyunbin teased.

 

“When did I ever miss, brother?”

 

“Why don’t we play a bet?” Jicheol suggested. “Whoever beats the other will win.”

 

Yeaji scoffs. “I always win.”

 

“Not today.”

 

“Oh yeah?” Yeaji grabbed another arrow and steadied her aim. After a second, she released the arrow and it landed bullseye once again. “Told you.”

 

Jicheol snickered. “Everyone can do that.” He steadied his aim while he focused on the target. He released a breath along with the arrow and it hit the jackpot. “See?”

 

“It was an easy play.”

 

“Count me in.” Yoona grabbed a bow and arrow. “How much is the bet?”

 

“Five hundred thousand won.”

 

They are sick. Why would they bet that high over an archery game?

 

“Okay. Sounds fair.” Yoona aimed for the target and once she released the arrow, it hit the perfect spot.

 

“Oh god. No one will win that money.” Jiwon said.

 

“You should make it a bit thrilling.” Jihyun yelled from behind. “Get a little further away from the targets.”

 

They obeyed the suggestion and literally went away. Like, further away. Maybe about two hundred meters or so.

 

Geez. If I know how to play this, I would definitely be part of it. Five thousand won is kinda big, alright.

 

“This should be fine.” Yeaji said before aiming another arrow towards the bullseye. When she released it, the arrow went straight to the left and gained eight points. “Eh?”

 

Hyunbin laughed. “I told you so.” He walked arrogantly in front of Yeaji and stretched his bow and after that, he released it and went straightly to six points.

 

“Bastard!” Jicheol shouted. “You’re the worst at playing this.” He shook his head and carefully aimed his bow to the said target. When he released it, a wind blew his arrow away and hit six points also. “That’s not fair!”

 

Yeaji rolls her eyes. “That’s why we always check the wind before we release.”

 

“You all just .” Yoona stepped up and stretched her string. Once she released it, it landed seven points. “There’s something wrong with the system.”

 

“No one will win that money.” Jihyun shook her head.

 

I watched them still shooting arrows from the back. Irene is sitting next to her grandmother and her siblings were seven meters away from me.

 

After a barely minute, no one still hit that ing bullseye. Two hundred meters is ing hectic!

 

I am basically on my tranquillity until I felt a wet substance on my left foot. That alarmed me so I instantly looked down and saw a ing Chihuahua peeing on me leg. I wiggled my left leg to shoo it away, but damn, a Chihuahua’s attitude is terrible. It growled at me with his fangs gritted.

 

Just great.

 

Give me whatever breed of dog you’ll choose but do not, if I say do not, give me a ing Chihuahua!

 

“Geon! Come here, boy!” Yeji called. Once she saw my wet socks, her face showed a surprise state. “Bad dog!”

 

Get it away from me, please.

 

I smiled lifelessly at the sky while she picks her dog that it still growling at me. Fine, dogs don’t like people they don’t know but you don’t have to pee on their feet.

 

Yeji bowed at me multiple times as an apology, but when Irene saw the commotion, she immediately stood up and went towards us.

 

“Yeji.”

 

“Unnie!” The latter looked behind surprisedly while she’s carrying her ty dog.

 

“Hmm.” Irene stared at the dog with a blank face. “I told you, get that thing away from people.”

 

That thing.

 

“Mianhae, I lost sight of him while we’re taking a walk.”

 

Irene nodded as Yeji bowed at me one last time. After the former was gone and back to whenever she was before, both Irene and I were left in the back while the others are still betting on that game.

 

My foot is very uncomfortable since it’s wet, and I’m wearing a sock, and I know you’ve experienced this situation. All I’m pointing out is that it’s ing ugly and horrible.

 

“You stink.” Irene deadpanned.

 

I know.

 

I heaved a heavy sigh. “He peed on me.”

 

“Looks like it.”

 

“Come on!” We both looked at the noise and saw Yoona almost breaking her bow. “This is hopeless.”

 

“Why is this not even working?.” Jicheol lazily throws his bow on the grass. “I give up!”

 

“They are just too weak to play.” Irene implied.

 

Can you even play? I mentally scoffed.

 

“I bet you can’t even hit five points.” I mumbled.

 

“Are you saying something?”

 

I instantly snapped my neck. “Nothing. I said, yeah right.”

 

She blankly stared at me before a voice called for her name. “Joohyun!” Hyunbin shouted. “Master of bows, come here!”

 

Master of bows? Yeah, sure. I mentally mocked.

 

The latter glanced at me for the last time before going towards her uncle. She can’t be the master of bows, that’s absurd. First of all, she’s small and petite. I bet she can’t even stretch the string.

 

Hyunbin handed her his equipment before Irene positioned herself to aim for the bullseye. I’m telling you, she ain’t gonna do it.

 

She is not gonna hit it, I swear.

 

The latter stretched the string slowly before closing an eye to focus more on the target. Once she released the string, the arrow flew hastily towards the target and guess what? It hit the least thing I expected it to hit.

 

How the ?

 

My mind became puzzled as Hyunbin clapped loudly. The others were staring agape at the hit bullseye while I was processing what just happened.

 

That’s bull.

 

That could’ve been a trick, right? I mean, duh? Look at her frame, Jesus christ!

 

Wh-who-what. Just. Happened?

 

Irene as the boss she is, stood proudly on the green grass while staring at her masterpiece. Two hundred meters. How the ? Can someone explain it to me? Like, my brain just stopped working for now.

 

“How did she do that?” Jiwon chortled. “You should pay her five hundred thousand won each then.”

 

The others didn’t respond since they were gaping at the bullseye. To be honest, Irene always surprises me with unexpected things. Like, legit.

 

“It was a fair one.” Seokjin nudged Yeaji on the shoulder. “Right, Yeaji-imo?”

 

“Don’t call me that!” The latter whined. “We’re nearly the same age!”

 

“Why won’t you try, Seulgi?” Yoona suddenly offered her equipment.

 

I widened my eyes as I shook my head continuously. “U-uh, I’d rather not.”

 

“Just a try.” She persisted. “Don’t be shy. It will be a great practice since you’ll be learning this skill soon.”

 

Mweo?

 

I chuckled unsurely. “I don’t think it’s a great—”

 

Jicheol waved his hands. “We won’t accept rejection.”

 

I can see that.

 

“Come on!”

 

I scratched my head as I look at Irene who seems like she doesn’t give a about what’s happening.

 

Can she just help me with this one? Just this one, please?

 

“I’m sure, if Tzuyu is here, she could’ve beaten us all.” Yeaji removed her gloves as well as her other equipments.

 

Tzuyu?

 

I grabbed what Yoona offered and put it on myself. Irene is beside me but she doesn’t give any heed to the scenario. Gyunghui is out there watching me from afar while the others were observing me, waiting for my aim.

 

I never tried archery before so expect the worst thing that may happen. Once I’m done suiting, I clenched the arrow in my hand and carefully placed it against the string. I heaved a sigh and stretched it while I close my other eye. As I focus, all eyes were on me. I released the arrow and it hit exactly nothing. Yes, nothing.

 

This is embarrassing.

 

I pressed my lips together as my face reddened due to mortification. I told you, I’m not good at this !

 

“Well, that’s terribly bad. You need to work on that–” Hyunbin crossed his arms, “but it’s your first try, right?”

 

“Eh?” Yoona tilts her head sideways. “You missed.”

 

“Yes, indeed.” Yeaji dully looks at the arrow on the grass next to the target. “But for now, that doesn’t matter.”

 

Jicheol dusted his bow and looked at me. “You’ll get a hang of it. When I was a kid, that was like my first shot. Missed–” he removed his gloves and his other equipments, “–but training did me better.”

 

Yep.

 

We chatted for a brief minute before a butler in white suit came to us in a refined manner.

 

“Miss.” The latter called for Joohyun. “Your mother is here.”

 

Mother?

 

I knitted my brows then glanced at Irene. Her eyes lit up slightly and her lips curved upwards. The others didn’t pay attention or they’re just pretending not to. I don’t know.

 

The latter and her siblings then went towards the mansion again while we’re left on the back fields. Seeing her retreating back, it kinda makes me nervous since I’m with her family alone.

 

“What is she doing here?” Hyunbin muttered in gritted teeth.

 

Yeaji shrugged. “I don’t know.”

 

Gyunghui stood up and her servants immediately unfolded the umbrella and put it on her head. “Tiffany is here?”

 

“Ne, eomma.”

 

“I want t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter