Lights On, Lights Off

Lights On, Lights Off
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
1 LIGHTS ON, LIGHTS OFF    

Fact: When darkness occurs, some gland in your body produces a particular hormone which puts your body in a state of calmness ultimately leading you to sleep. Or at least that’s what Wendy’s high school teacher had taught her a couple of years ago back in Canada. She remembers because she had been using it on every argument that involves sleeping. Or darkness.

 

Man, she really should find a few new interesting topics to talk about.

This, according to the devil spawn-- Yeri, is what keeps off the very few people interested in her, away.

 

“It has nothing to do with what I talk about on dates. Relationships these days are just hard. ” Wendy had reasoned out to her one time when the younger girl was scolding her about a failed blind date.

“How would you know if you’ve never been in a relationship?” was what the devil spawn replied.

 

Wendy grunts at the memory. What she’s supposed to think of right now are things that make her happy and calm.

 

Like stargazing on a mountain top.

Or singing.

Or being with her members.

 

Or being with a certain member.

 

 

Okay the last one didn’t make her calm but instead sent her heart beating at a faster pace. Especially when that certain member is only a few feet away sleeping peacefully on a separate queen bed with a stupid bright, night light on.

 

It wasn’t exactly bright. But it’s still a night light, which makes it stupid.

 

Nights are supposed to be dark and darkness wills your brain to sleep.

 

But since there’s a light, she couldn’t fall asleep.

 

Wendy tossed and turned for the nth time this evening. This day had all the qualities to be perfect. They were in a foreign place, Switzerland to be exact, where they shot promotional clips for the country. The food was splendid. The places were breathtaking. Not to mention the villa they‘re staying at is quite gorgeous as well.

 

They played like kids the whole day and it had been so fun.

 

But she was tired and her arms hurt from pulling that wooden raft across the lake somewhere in the alps and all she wants is a good night sleep.

 

It didn’t help that she has a stupid crush on her designated roommate.

 

Wendy couldn’t blame that to anyone. The roommates for this trip were decided thru the ultimate game of fate — spin the bottle.

 

Long story short, Yeri‘s enjoying the master’s bedroom alone, Joy and Seulgi are sharing a king bed upstairs and she and Irene are sharing the second largest room downstairs, on separate beds.

 

Sharing it with her leader isn’t the problem, truth be told.

 

Irene’s love for sunlight or any kind of light, is.

 

But Wendy knows better than to complain about room assignments. She’s pretty sure Irene’s still pissed at her for the way she reacted the last time they were roommates in Thailand. It was also partly the reason why she couldn’t complain about the temperature when they slept together in a tent back in Jeju.

 

Irene can hold grudges and she didn’t want to be an object of that grudge. Especially not when she has a teeny tiny crush on the older member.

 

What’s really irking Wendy is the stupid night light in between their beds.

 

Irene can’t sleep without a night light.

She can’t sleep with a night light.

 

Wendy sighs for the hundredth time. Of all things she could forget to bring, it’s her sleep mask. She reaches for her phone and checks the time.

 

It’s 10 minutes past 1 am.

Damn it. That means it had been 2 hours of tossing and turning and failing to fall asleep.

 

Should she just turn off the light? But what would she tell Irene if she asks? It’s a no then.

 

She can’t cover her whole self with a blanket. It’d be too hot.

She can’t get out of the room either. Irene would be pissed in the morning.

 

Wendy lets out another sigh.

 

“Until when are you gonna keep sighing?”

 

Wendy’s startled expression against the dim light makes the older girl chuckle.

 

“You’re awake?”

 

Irene sits up on her bed, “You keep sighing the whole night. You know I’m a light sleeper.” She gives out a little smirk which makes Wendy’s heart pick up it’s pace a little. “Is there anything wrong?”

 

“I’m sorry. I can’t sleep.”

 

“Why is that?”

 

Wendy bit her tongue. She didn’t want to answer but her eyes fall on the night light.

 

The older girl’s eyebrow slowly furrows. “Oh the light.”

 

“Yeah.” Seeing Irene’s expression, Wendy quickly back tracks. “But it’s fine, don’t worry! It’s probably just the hot chocolate from earlier. High sugar. Caffeine. You know? It’s probably not solely because of the light.”

 

“Do you want me to turn it off?”

 

“But... how about you?”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter