Abandoned

Memoir To My Melody

 

They walks away, Kahi couldn’t stop blushing. “I’m not a pig oppa.” Kahi say. “When did I say I’d marry you?”
 
“When you kiss me early on our way to the market.” Nichkhun say childishly. 
 
“That wasn’t even a proposal.” Kahi say. 
 
“Should I do it again to get a yes from you.” Nichkhun ask mischievously as he move closer to her. 
 
Kahi smiles at his goofy face and push him away. He held her hand again as they walk home. An hour later, they head back to his mom house. 
 
“You two are back fast.” Nichkhun mom say. 
 
“We went to buy some fruits.” Say Kahi, “I don’t know what you like so I bought all kind of fruits for you aunty.” 
 
“She really did.” Say Nichkhun. 
 
“You don’t have too. I love anything you buy.” Say Nichkhun mom. She look at Nichkhun, “Don’t tell me you let her pay for all of the fruits?” she glare at Nichkhun.
 
“I want to pay but she kept pushing me away.” Say Nichkhun. 
 
“You are such a useless man, how could you let her pay for you.” Nichkhun mom complaint. “Be a gentlemen and pay next time. Don’t let my daughter-in-law pay for everything.” 
 
Kahi blush, Nichkhun mom went into the kitchen and grab a two knife and a plate, they sit on porch out in the front of the house. Kahi and Nichkhun mom cut the fruit while Nichkhun fix the rocking chair for his mom. 
 
“Aunty, you have a nice house.” Kahi praise. 
 
“This house looks very traditional. But I love it, it makes me feel comfortable.” Say Nichkhun mom. 
 
“It may be small but it has the feeling of home.” Kahi say. 
 
Nichkhun mom smiles at Kahi thoughtful words. After finish fixing the chair, he went to sit next to Kahi, She feed him pears before she feed herself. 
 
Nichkhun smiles as he eat the fruit Kahi fed him, “Omma, how many grandkids do you want?” Nichkhun ask. Kahi looks at him surprise and tries not to blush. 
 
“As many as possible.” Nichkhun mom happily say. “I love kids.”
 
“That good, you will soon have kids.” Nichkhun say as he smiles. 
 
Nichkhun mom looks shock at Kahi, who is blushing red. “Are you pregnant Kahi?” Nichkhun mom ask. 
 
“Anniyo…” Kahi denied.
 
“She’s not, I just want to ask you that question.” Nichkhun laugh as he speak. Kahi slap his arm playfully. 
 
“You’re got me all excited for a moment.” Nichkhun mom say.
 
“It’ll be soon.” Nichkhun continue to tease Kahi. Nichkhun mom ignore him and continue to peels the fruits. 
 
“Are you staying for the weekend?” Nichkhun mom ask.
 
Kahi nodded, “yes I am aunty.” She say. 
 
“That’s great, you don’t mind sharing room with me?” Nichkhun mom say. 
 
“No not at all.” Kahi say happily.
 
“Then I’m alone tonight.” Nichkhun say. 
 
“Of course.” Kahi and Nichkhun mom say at the same time and smiles. 
 
After a little snack, the lady went to his mom room while Nichkhun stay outside for a while. In the room, Kahi and Nichkhun mom prepare the futon and blanket, then they lay down and rest their head on the pillow.
 
“It’s been a long time since I’ve seen him this happy.” Nichkhun mom say. 
 
Kahi turn her head to look at her. “I feel like if he’s keeping a lot of thing to himself.” She say. “The first time I see him, he look so cold and lonely.”
 
“It’s because I was force out of my village, he was only seven when I adopted him. We stay there for two year before the rumors got out of hand and we were force to leave. He was upset and angry at the villagers.” Nichkhun mom say. 
 
“Why?” Kahi ask. 
 
“I was gone for a year, I adopted him at Jecheon after I saw him wondering around the city alone, crying for his mom. I went up to him, he say he waited two hours for his mom. So I stay with him for the next three hours and his mom never show up, I knew then he was abandoned. So I take him in and we went back to my hometown, Busan. He didn’t say or speak for the first 4 months. The fifth month, the first word he say was ‘omma’. I was really happy.” Nichkhun mom say in tears. 
 
Kahi raise her upper body and wipe away his mom tears gently. 
 
“Busan is a strict village, they take thinks seriously. When I came back with Nichkhun, the rumor start and people start calling me names. I don’t know how the rumors start and who started the rumor but it eventually became big, and he overheard a couple of them. One day at school, a couple students started making fun of him and bullying him. For two years him and me were humiliated. I could not sell anything anymore at the village. Nichkhun would come home in bruises and cuts on his knee. No student would talk to him, sometime he saws peoples throw eggs and garbage at me.” Nichkhun mom say as she tries to control her tears. “We had to move, we move as far as possible. We end up at Gwacheon.” 
 
“Mianhe aunty.” Kahi say as she held her hand. 
 
“He became cold and is always full of hatred for Busan. He can be cold and emotionless but inside he suffered the abandon from his mom and the humiliation with me.” Nichkhun mom sob. “I didn’t want him to suffered with me.”
 
Kahi laid her head against Nichkhun mom arm. Nichkhun mom cries silently as Kahi pat her arm gently. Nichkhun was outside of their room, and sitting against the wall, as he listen to everything. He had his eyes close as he try to control his tears. The next morning, Nichkhun was the first to wake up. He was already out in the front watering the flower and cleaning the house a little. Kahi wakes up, she head to the bathroom and see a new toothbrush and a towel for her. She sees a note on the top of the towel and read it:
“I bought you a toothbrush and towels, open the drawer there’s new clothes I just bought this morning for you. Nichkhun.”
 
She smiles and get ready. Nichkhun mom then wake up and went change in her small bathroom in the room. His mom then went to make breakfast, an hour later, everybody gather at the table. 
 
“I have to head to the farm, Nichkhun-ah take Kahi around the places.” Say Nichkhun mom. 
 
Nichkhun nodded, “Do you want me to come help you later?” he ask. 
 
“No it find, take your girlfriend out.” Say Nichkhun mom. 
 
“Okay.” Nichkhun say. 
 
A moment later, Kahi and Nichkhun mom wash the dishes before Nichkhun mom head to the farm. Nichkhun sat at the front of the porch, Kahi join him. 
 
“How was your sleep?” Nichkhun ask, “Sorry if it too small for you.” He say. 
 
“No it not.” Say Kahi, “I had a good sleep, it good to be in a mom arm again.” 
 
Nichkhun grab her hand and smiles, Kahi rest her head on his shoulder. “Is something wrong with you and your mom?” he ask. 
 
“It’s a long story, me and my mom argue a lot.” Say Kahi unhappily. “Whatever she want or whatever she say, I have to do it against my well.” 
 
“How about I take you to one place?” Nichkhun say. 
 
Kahi look at him, Nichkhun stand up and drag her along with him. They walk to the lake near by. The view were peacefully and quiet, Kahi run to the edge of the lake and play with the water. Like a little kid, she take off her flat and step into the lake. Nichkhun take off his sock and shoe before he go up to her and wrap his arm around her, he peck her cheek. 
 
“Do you like it?” Nichkhun ask. Kahi nodded, “me too, every time I come visit my mom. I would try to at least come here before I head back home.” He say. 
 
“I love it here a lot.” Say Kahi, “it’s so peaceful. It’s doesn’t look like winter here at all.”
 
Nichkhun look around and pick up a shell, and dust the sand off the shell. He whisper a few words and then hold the shell close to the wave like a recorder. Nichkhun went back to Kahi and take her hand and place the shell on her hand.
 
“Listen to it.” He say as he smiles sweetly. 
 
Kahi look at him confusedly and place the shell by her left ears. Nichkhun wrap his arm around her from behind, and pulling her body closer to him. 
 
Kahi listen to the soft voice inside the shell, “Forever I love you, Kahi.” She heard Nichkhun voice and smiles. Then come the sound of the wave. Kahi close her eyes as she listen to the peaceful wave from the shell. 
 
Nichkhun tilt his head to the side and peck her cheek softly. 
 
Kahi open her eyes again and look at him. “I love you too.” She whisper. 
 
Nichkhun smiles happily and turn her body around, he lower his head and take her lips softly. Then he kiss her passionately as the waves splash their feet.
 
Nichkhun break away and looks at her. “How about I take you here every time I visit my mom?” Nichkhun say. Kahi nodded happily. 
 
They stay there for a little while before they head to the market and do a little grocery. This time Nichkhun make sure that he pay and not her. He block her way and slightly push her aside to pay or pull her behind him. Kahi try to fight against him, but he was too quick for her. They head back home and put the bags in the kitchen, and the fresh fish in a bucket of water. 
 
“Oppa, let’s go visit your mom.” Kahi say. 
 
“Okay” Nichkhun say. 
 
Nichkhun take her to his mom work at the farm. They went to farm valley and look for his mom from the top. Kahi spotted his mom at the third row down the valley. They head down together, Nichkhun held her hand tight, making sure she does not trip on any thing.
 
“Omma.” Nichkhun call his mom.
 
Nichkhun mom was a little surprise as she look to where the voice came from. 
 
“What are you two doing here?” Nichkhun Mom ask. “I told you to take her around the place.”
 
“She wanted to come here.” Say Nichkhun. 
 
“Aunty, how about I help you?” Kahi say. 
 
“Anniyo, you shouldn’t.” Nichkhun mom object. “It will dirty your cloths.” 
 
“It’s okay.” Kahi say. She help pluck the dead leaves. 
 
Nichkhun mom smiles and continue to pluck the dead leaves. Nichkhun also gave a helping hand. Nichkhun mom was able to leave early, they walk home together. Kahi and Nichkhun made dinner together while Nichkhun mom was force to stay away from the kitchen tonight. Kahi burn a couple dishes and was frustrated, Nichkhun end up making the whole entire dinner. After an hour later, dinner was ready and the plates was place on the table. They ate and Nichkhun mom continue to praise Kahi culinary skills. She blush a couple time and bow to his mom words, Nichkhun try to hold his laughs. Kahi glare and elbow to stop smiling but Nichkhun couldn’t. Few hours later, Nichkhun mom went to bed early. Nichkhun and Kahi were at the front porch looking at the night sky. 
 
“You’re lucky she wasn’t in the kitchen and sees the burn dishes left on the table.” Nichkhun say, “If she sees it, she will eat it at the table.” 
 
“Oppa…” Kahi pouted. “I didn’t know cooking was that hard. That why I throw it away and take the garbage out before she sees it” 
 
“Don’t worry, I’ll teach you how to cook.” Say Nichkhun. Kahi smiles. 
 
Kahi wrap her arm around his arm and held his hand, “Oppa, can you tell me something about you?” she ask. 
 
“There’s nothing about me.” Say Nichkhun. 
 
“Your mom say a lot of things about you.” Say Kahi. “You and her suffered a lot.” Her voice sadden. 
 
Nichkhun look down at their hand, “I heard.” He say. 
 
Kahi lift her head up and looks at him, “Mianhe.”
 
Nichkhun let out a smiles before it turn into an unhappy face. “I guess this is the time when I need some body to talk to, you’ll be the one.” He say, she nodded. “…. what she tell you last night was part of it…when I was little, I had biological omma but she abandon me. My omma now took me in. it was true that I didn’t say any words for the first 4-5 months. And the first words that came out of my mouth was calling her ‘omma’, she was really happy that she cried. I felt happy to see her smiles because I call her ‘omma’. The moment I thought I was living a good life with my new mom until the rumor started and became fierce. I would hear my mom cried every night. The kids at school bullied me, I got in a fight and expelled but I didn’t tell my mom about it. I pretend to go to school but actually I was hiding at the park playground or at the lake….I continue on for the next two years. Her small busy became slow but she still tries to finds way to raise me. We try to tell them the truth so many time but they wouldn’t listen. I found out who started the rumors and follow the man almost everywhere. I was going to get closer and hit with a metal bar yet fail, but I did leave a deep slash cut on his right arm with a knife before I got taken away.” Nichkhun say, “And the rest she told you. We move to Gwacheon. At first it was difficult, I got sick and fell ill after I arrive here. We didn’t have any money in our pocket, she has to go around and ask for money, begging and kneeling on her knees. Finally a couple of elders lend her the money and took me to the doctor immediately. Shortly we were in luck and she was able to find a job to support me.” 
 
“Since then you haven’t smiles much.” Kahi say as she looks at him sadly, Nichkhun nodded, “why did you lie to me?” Nichkhun didn’t answer her. “You say your mom would get tired of you laughing or smiling. But instead your mom say she hardly see you happy.” Kahi say. 
 
“Its because I want to make you happy.” Nichkhun say. “I wanted to see you smiles.”
 
Kahi warmly smiles and touch his face lightly. “You are really something.” She say. 
 
Nichkhun rest his back against the wood and pull Kahi into his arm, resting her body against his. Kahi turn her head around and kiss him. He wrap his arm around her as he kiss her softly. A couple moments later they went to bed. The next day Nichkhun and Kahi stay for a little bit before heading back to Seoul. After dropping her off at her home, he went to work. 
 
Too be continue……………….
 
Please Comments
Thank you :D