First Encounter

The Dream List
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The man held a knife, the blade pointed on the skin of your neck. He pressed deeper when someone on the phone provoked him. It cut your skin slowly that it started to bleed. Another hand was grabbing your hair, pulling it that your head jerked backwards. You didn't cry, trembling in fear with both hands and legs tied tightly in ropes. 

"I TOLD YOU YOUR DAUGHTER IS WITH ME!" the kidnapper shouted to the one on the phone and pulled your hair once more with a stronger force. With the duct tape pasted on your lips, not even a sound of pain came out from your mouth.

"I know" the one on the phone said, you assumed your father was speaking calmly to this man. 

"WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO? I NEED MONEY!" this man shouted once more, threatening your father by holding you as a hostage. Your father seemed to calm this man, utilizing his ability as a detective. He said he would bring the amount, telling him to stop torturing you. This man sighed loudly and kicked the chair infront of you to express his anger.

"Don't play tricks! Your daughter's life is in my hand"

Upon hearing this, your mind went blank. Totally blank...You were scared but you couldn't express the fear well. As a 8 year old child, you tried to be brave. Ever since that accident, the scar on your neck symbolised as the deepest pain engraved in your memory. And from that onwards, your father forbade you from attending school or be in public. 

That explained why you had been homeschooling all this while for ten years. Since your current homeschool teacher, Ms Han was going to immigrate to Canada, you took the opportunity to ask your father, perhaps the right word was 'begging' him to at least allow you to spend your last semester of high school at a real, physical high school. Homeschooling was fun or what you believed so since you are an introvert. But you wanted the fun to have friends, to eat together, hang out together and perhaps to have a boyfriend too. Those feelings were indefinable as you had never once experience it by yourself. 

Your father is a Taekwondo instructor now at the Police Academy and rarely comes back as he stayed at the dorms of the Academy most of the time. He was a detective but decided to retire after the accident and after your mother passed away. You have an elder brother, Choi Yuta, who is studying in the university, majors in Game Design and Development. Both your father and brother came back twice every week at home so you were alone most of the time. You were envious of their lives, being able to talk to people normally when you had never once experience it except to your homeschool teacher and neighbour.

When your father agreed to register you to a school nearby, you got excited, almost too excited to do things you have never done before, therefore you created a list, a dream list to be accomplished.

You packed your bag once you had taken dinner with your family. They came back today to congratulate you to finally being able to attend a school.  There was one thing you felt weird with your family, especially towards your father. You didn't get why he took the role of a police man whenever he talked to you but he softened when he talked to your brother. Perhaps that was why you were more attached to your brother, Yuta. Aside from having no similarities as your father loved Taekwondo while your brother loved game, in contrast you loved anime, sometimes that made you felt like you were not at home even when they were with you. It felt just like that, probably because they rarely come home. 

Brushing the thoughts away, you put in your sanitary pad, a mirror, tissue, a notebook with the dream list you created. Your stomach churned. You got extra nervous to meet people of your age, got curious of how your seat mate would look like, how your future best friend would be like and how your teacher would treat you. Oh goshhh... Why are you extra nervous? Your palms turned sweaty automatically that you clasped your hands together, rubbing it. 

You slumped on your bed after that. Rolling to the left and then to the right. Closing your eyes tightly, you brought a hand to touch the scar on your skin. It's okay I'm going to be fine... Assuring yourself had became your habit. You just needed to be calm and relax...

 

 

Your long and straight hair was tied into a pony tail. Your school uniform was ironed, neat and clean. You had to say this one somehow looked like those Japanese uniform. Fit white school blouse with a dark blue blazer and a pleated skirt that reached your knees. You grasped on your school bag straps tightly, pressing your lips, you moved forward once your brother dropped you off at the school gate. 

The school itself looked extravagant with a huge field on the right and a lot of buildings painted in white and dark blue on your left matching the colour of your new uniform. A smile spreaded across your lips, already feeling good with the school. You sauntered towards a building that led you to the teachers' staff room. The receptionist guided you to a teacher, Mrs. Kim. She was nice, precisely explaining to you which class you would be in for the rest of the semester and told you to settle a few more documents.

Once you were done, you reached your class finally guided by that lady teacher. You swallowed hard when she opened the door, shouting to keep the students quiet. You lifted your specs supported on the bridge of your nose using your thumb and an awkward smile plastered on your face. Your palms became sweaty for no reason when you stood at the middle front of the class. 

Surprisingly, it was easy to introduce yourself to your future classmates because no one really paid attention. Your confidence fell when no one looked at you the way how it was displayed i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter