Epilogue

Colour My Soul and Paint It Black

For the rest of the world it was an ordinary day, or as ordinary as a Saturday could be, with its mere existence full of promises. Work wrapped up till Monday, and the reassurance of another day to rest before being swallowed up by professional life, Saturday was the best day of the week, with all its unfulfilled potential of being as ordinary or extraordinary as it wanted, as far as the flat’s two occupants were concerned.

 

For Seunghyun, humming along to the music as he stirred his coffee, it was a wonderful day in its mundanity, and he had already described his plans to stay home and do nothing. Except maybe make additions to the forever evolving painting at the end of the corridor. It had come a long way from its original vagueness. That did not mean that it was any easier to decipher what it was meant to depict, because over time a large number of big and small details had been added to it, owing to the moods of the two men. It was their way of chronicling their life together, and made for easy retelling of incidents and events as they had happened over the past three years.

 

For Jiyong, standing in front of the dresser for the seventh time that morning, it was as far from an ordinary Saturday as it could be. He rubbed his face as frustration pulled another loud sigh from him. “It’s alright, he doesn’t hate me.” Because of course despite the amount of times Jiyong had driven Seunghyun to exasperation and annoyance, all of it came from a place of care. He knew that. But what if… Ah. Damn it all to hell. He stood up and left the room, still not having opened the drawer he knew he needed to. Wanted to. But couldn’t. One more day wouldn't hurt, he had been scared of it for six whole months now.

 

He found Seunghyun sitting on the rug in the living room, nodding along to the song, cradling a mug in his hands. Jiyong sat next to him but then shifted to rest his head on the cushion on Seunghyun’s lap. He looked down and smiled at the same time as Jiyong’s eyes widened at the sight of his hands. Seunghyun kept the mug to a side and knocked against Jiyong’s forehead with his knuckles, laughing as his hand was grabbed.

 

“Wha- How-?”

 

“You really think I wouldn’t go snooping around if you suddenly became protective of the one space I have least use of? Such a smart idiot of a fiancé I have.”

 

Jiyong glared at him before shifting his grip to a gentler grasp. He placed a light kiss to Seunghyun’s wrist before biting hard and rolling away to dodge the reactionary smack.

 

“Ouch! What the ?”

 

He stuck his tongue out at Seunghyun, “That’s what you get for ruining my plans.”

 

And got a cushion to his face. “What plans? I wouldn’t have gotten the ring for another three months. And I quite like platinum, thank you very much.”

 

Jiyong stared at him.

 

“Oh, come on! Dami likes me better, you know tha-.” The cushion came flying back, followed by a blur that brought with itself a near-rib-cracking hug and a contrastingly gentle kiss. And Seunghyun smiled against Jiyong’s lips, burying his ring adorned hand in the currently pale blue hair.