15/16

Say it First
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The sun has almost completely set when Baekhyun and his family arrives home. Two days leaving home and a funeral should have tired the hell out of him, but surprisingly he feels more awake than ever, all because he can’t wait to see Haerin. All he can think about on the ride home is her, her, and her. And the girl had dared to second-guess his feelings? What a joke.

Baekhyun kisses her mother’s temple after he helps her lying in her bed, smiling sweetly as he carefully tucks her in. Her face is pale and her eyes are swollen and red from all the crying after losing her only sister. She was Baekhyun’s favorite aunt too and it’s that she passed away too quick. His mother is heartbroken but he believes that in a couple of weeks, she’ll be right back up, slowly but surely.

He holds onto her hand from under the blanket. “I’m going out for a sec, kay? I have something to take care.”

“Can’t you do it tomorrow? You should rest,” her mother frowns, worries etch on her face.

Baekhyun shakes his head. He hasn’t been able to take care of it because he’s not in town. Now that he’s back, he doesn’t waste more time than necessary. He assures her that he’s not tired. After making sure that his mother is comfortable, he gets up and turns off the light before leaving the room. When his father sees him, he asks what they should order for dinner because his mother is in no state to cook. Baekhyun grins guiltily at the old man as he walks backward and takes his jacket off the sofa when he passes. His father understands then that his son is going out, leaving him alone. Baekhyun throws a wink before he slips out the door.

 

 

Baekhyun stops in front of the two-storey house and eyes the wooden fence before him. Two months ago, he had come here with a nervous heartbeat and stinging eyes from holding back tears. Now, he’s here with a steady heartbeat and closed fists to hold back his irritation. Thinking back, a part of him actually feels embarrassed how weak he was in front of a girl who had dumped her, yet another part of him thinks he couldn’t help it because he truly liked the girl. Most of his guy friends already know what a softie and emotional boy he is, well he can’t help it.

What matter is he is here for a complete different reason from two months ago. Whatever history or feelings he had for Shin Yuna have changed into something unimportant.

He puts his phone next to his ear, listening to the waiting ringing tone. It takes a while for the girl to accept the call.

“Hello?”

“Hey, I’m back in town,” Baekhyun says, judging from Yuna’s silence, she is actually confused. “Can you come out? I’m in front of your place and we need to talk.” Baekhyun ends the call before she can respond.

Almost ten minutes later, Baekhyun hears the sound of the fence wheels, he turns his body to find Yuna with Jingoo right behind her. Jingoo looks a bit uncomfortable seeing him from the way his eyebrows are frowning, but Baekhyun simply nods at him.

Baekhyun takes a couple of steps closer until a good distance is between him and Yuna. Ignoring her confused look, he says, “I’m okay with Jingoo listens or not. What about you?”

Yuna looks back at her boyfriend for a minute, clearly contemplating should she lets him stay or not. On top of that, she doesn’t even know what her ex-boyfriend wants to talk about. But, not letting Jingoo stays will surely make the boy suspicious and angry at her. After debating with herself, she finally answers, “Go on.”

Baekhyun nods. He drops his friendly smile and Yuna can feel his aura changes. His piercing stare doesn’t make her feel any better.

“You have to apologize to Haerin.”

The couple gapes at him. Jingoo is the first one to react. “What? Isn’t it supposed to be the other way around?”

“Of course not, Yuna—“

“It’s not me!”

Baekhyun rolls his eyes hearing her loud scream. “Really, Yuna?” His eyes back to the girl before him in no time. The usual warm and approaching stare is nowhere to be found. Baekhyun’s eyes are cold and accusing, a total stranger to Yuna who had dated him for almost a year before their break up. “Stop lying. You didn’t personally touch Haerin’s things, I know. You asked somebody else and I have their names, shall I say it out loud?”

One of the things you get from dating someone for almost a year, you get to learn their habit when they’re in a certain situation. For Yuna, she presses her lips together after whenever she has spouted lies, and her fingers playing with the hem of her dress uneasily when she feels nervous. Baekhyun catches onto the two things right away as his eyes look down to her fingers.

“Yeeun, Seunghee, and Wooseok. I know they’re your friends.”

From her peripheral, she knows that Jingoo has all of the attention at her now as he also recognizes the names. She glances to his way before back to the ground, but it’s enough to understand that he is asking through his eyes.

“How do you know?” Yuna stops pretending to be an innocent person because it clears that there’s no way to get out of this situation. She also remembers that her ex is good at reading her, from the way his eyes keep glancing down her fingers pulling at the hem of her dress. An innocent person won’t be doing this and Yuna is not one.

Baekhyun clears his throat before answering her question. “Got to thank Sooyoung. The girl is basically our school’s detective.”

Yuna agrees. She is so good at obtaining facts, rumors, and gossip. When she still dated Baekhyun, she enjoyed hanging out with Sooyoung the most because she kinds of know everything that was happening in school.

But, that isn’t the answer she’s looking for. “No,” she says through gritted teeth. “I mean, how do you know it’s me?” Baekhyun then proves her guess is correct when he tells her that he already noticed the tell-tale gestures when she lied by the lake.

“Then,” Baekhyun pauses for a bit, examining Yuna real close. “Why did you do that? Is it because you still like me?”

Yuna is taken aback by the question that she has to take a step back, staring at him with wide eyes before flinging to Jingoo, who is quiet but listening attentively, waiting for her to answer. She forces herself to calm down and think and feel. She doesn’t say anything for two minutes before she’s sure.

“No. No, I don’t.”

“Then, why?” Yuna turns her head to Jingoo because the question is coming out from his lips. “I can’t think of another reason that you did what you did to Haerin because you still have feelings for Baekhyun,” Jingoo scowls at her, his eyes are tearing inside her.

“No, no, no, no,” she repeats and repeats, her body is fully turning to Jingoo now. Her eyes are wide, begging for her boyfriend to understand and calm down as she tries to explain herself.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I just—“ Yuna lets out an exasperate sigh, feeling silly before she speaks out. She turns to Baekhyun, “I wasn’t jealous. I just—I think you’re moving on too fast and I kinda don’t like it.” She cringes as the words roll out from her tongue. “A week ago, you kept coming to my place with teary eyes.” Baekhyun looks the other way, his cheeks flush a bit, feeling embarrassed to hear it out loud from another person. “Then, you’re giggling and happy with a new girl? And the new girl is Song Haerin? I—I—“ Yuna tries but loses her words.

So, Baekhyun interferes. “You text me. Every day.” He catches on Jingoo’s face, and, whew, if looks could kill…

Yuna closes her eyes out of embarrassment from the two piercing stares from the two boys. “I thought maybe you still have lingering feelings for me. So that you’ll leave Song Haerin.” Then, she quickly opens her eyes and looks at Jingoo in the eyes, “But, I never never have wanted to get back with Baekhyun. Jingoo, the guy I like f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter