final.

Hazelnut Latte
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The light can’t turn green fast enough. Your fingers tap on your steering wheel as your anxiety heightens.

It’s a miracle you have a passing grade in your film styles class. Every assignment is easily forgotten because they seem so easy to do last minute. It doesn’t help that you don’t remember when ‘last minute’ is, but you thank the stars you showed up to class earlier in the day. Had you not attended, your friend wouldn’t have asked you about your paper, triggering the overwhelming panic.

Due at 8 the next morning, your five-page paper dissecting a director of your choice’s defining style has yet been started. There is a list of directors that you can’t write about due to being very easy to define based on auteur theory, like Wes Anderson, James Cameron, and Michael Bay. It’s like the professor doesn’t want you to pass. At this point, you can’t decide who to write about that you can pull a five-page paper out of thin air.

The green light flashes and you floor it. The coffee shop is about to close, and you need caffeine to be able to write this paper. Luckily, the shop isn’t too far down the road from your apartment. Pulling into the parking lot of the only cafe opened until midnight, you notice it’s not crowded at all. The college paper gods are on your side tonight, at least for right now. It is a blessing that they have a drive-thru; they know their target demographic well.

“Hello, welcome to Beans ’N Cream. What can I get you this late at night?” The barista sounds cheerful though he is definitely judging you, making you suppress a giggle.

“Can I get a medium hazelnut latte with coconut milk?” You say, glancing into the camera next to the order screen.

“This late at night and you only want a medium?”

“, you’re right. Make it a large.” You change your mind. He has a point; you might as well go all out because you have no idea how long you will need to stay up.

He laughs, and it’s the cutest thing you’ve heard all day. “Alright. I’ll have your total at the window.”

You quickly thank him before pulling up. As you stop at the window, you pull out your card. The window is already open, and a very cute barista is leaning on the sill. You momentarily forget what you’re doing when you see him.

“It’ll be $3.67,” He says, smiling, showing off his dimples.

You hand him the card, speechless. As he turns to the register you take note of how wide his shoulders are compared to his waist. You wouldn’t mind sitting there awhile just to admire his back. When he hands you back the card, he leans against the sill again. It takes a moment for you to realize he only charged you for a medium.

“Wait, I ordered a large. It should’ve been more than that.” You try to hand him the card again.

“I only charged you for a medium.” He winks, and your heart beats a little faster. “It’ll take a minute. Sorry for the inconvenience.”

It really isn’t an inconvenience if you get to look at him a moment longer. “It’s fine.” You downplay how charmed you are.

“So, you have a project due or something?”

“How did you know?” You ask, puzzled.

“This is a college town. Not many normal people get coffee this late,” he chuckles.

“Yeah… Are you a student too?”

“Yes, business major. You?”

“Radio-television-film major, emphasis in digital production.”

“I bet that’s fun.” His smile hasn’t left his face, and he seems genuinely interested in your conversation. “I sometimes see students filming in the dance hall.”

“Dance hall?” You furrow your brows.

“I minor in dance.” He says as another barista sits your order on the counter next to him.

“San, stop flirting and actually work.” The other barista chides.

He sighs, “Good luck with your project.”

“Thanks. You too.” You say as you begin to pull away. Realizing what you’ve said, you smack your head on the steering wheel with a groan.

-

Laughs fill the space in your small car. Your friends can’t stop making jokes about the weird guy you are stuck with as a project partner. The assignment was exciting at first; you are to create a short film of any kind that related back to the school. You wanted to focus on campus life and the importance of relationships during college. Then the TA assigned partners and all hope of creative freedom was lost. Your partner is dead set on proving that there is a ghos

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter