Chapter 2

The Queen of Insomnia

“Are you going to continue hiding within your dreams, my dear.”

Irene frowned, not recognizing the voice. However, she does recognize the figure interrupting her dreams. Within the moments she saw of the past, only one figure she recognized has hair in the color of red wine.

“I have no reason to hide in my dreams, Ardyn.”

Ardyn chuckled. “You claim you are not hiding yet here you are. Sleeping when the daylight is here. You know daemons only come out at night, not mornings?”

“I’m not hiding from daemons. I’m thinking of a plan of attack.”

Irene poured a glass of wine for herself. Normally she does not drink anything alcoholic unless she is feeling nervous. “Liquid courage” is what she remembers Joy calling it.

“You should be on the lookout for Bahamut.”

Ardyn took Irene’s glass of wine from her, drinking its last contents almost as if he is taunting her.

“What are you talking about?” Irene feigned, attempting to look into the distance to hide her face.

Ardyn smiled at Irene’s attempt to lie. “From personal experience, let me offer some advice. You can never hide from the one who controls your fate.”

Irene was silent, trying to contemplate Ardyn’s words.

“Do they know that I’m coming to ask for their help?” Irene thought, slightly panicked. “What am I thinking! Of course, they can, they’re the Astrals!”

Distracted by her thoughts, Irene does not notice Ardyn casting a summoning spell until a bright red light nearly blinds her. Opening her eyes, she finds a sword in front of her, gasping as she reaches to hold it.

“Is this…?”

“Yes, this is the Sword of the Father, the very sword wielded by King Regis Lucis Caelum.”

“Why are you giving this to me?”

Ardyn shrugged. “I do not know the reason but I believe, perhaps, that King Regis is the more reasonable one. The former Lucis Caelum rulers are known for being pricks when it comes to lending their powers to help.”

Irene nodded in understanding, she remembered seeing a memory of a young man named Nyx Ulric wielding the Ring of the Lucii. The former rulers at first refused to offer their help but King Regis spoke up for Nyx. Nyx was able to wield the power from the Ring at the cost of his life. The same goes for Ignis Scientia, the ancestor of Irene’s friend Seulgi, except he was blinded from wielding the Ring instead of losing his life. Irene was glad to never have the Ring, she would rather wield any weapons than chose a weapon that wants a blood sacrifice.

“I’m not the type to offer words of encouragement,” Ardyn said, walking away after patting Irene’s head. “But I wish you luck in whatever you are planning.”

Irene touched her head, surprised by being helped by someone who was once an antagonist. Looking at the sword in her hands once more, Irene felt determined to complete her quest. Although Ardyn’s warnings scare her, she decides to focus more on what she wanted to do. But she finds herself thinking of how Ardyn mentions ‘the one who controls your fate’.

“Does he mean Bahamut?” Irene questions, aloud.

When she was able to see memories of the past, Irene remembers fearing Bahamut. He was the one who doomed Ardyn into a fate of being the villain to get Noctis, the real King onto the throne. Irene only hopes he was no idea of whatever she is planning. Luckily, she can cloak her presence from any beings.

Packing up her belongings, Irene hops onto her Chocobo, on her way to head to Lestallum. The first Astral she decides to confront is resting here at the Disc of Cauthess and he is Titan the Archaean.