Coming Clean

Attention
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi was still staring at the darkened sky when Irene heaved a sigh. Turning her attention to her, she saw Irene intently watching her, a sad look on her face and her lips were pulled downwards.


She reached for a napkin and wiped the corner of or any place that could have a crumb of the cake or remnants of coffee. "Why? Is there something on my face?"


Irene shook her head. "No..."


"Then why are you staring at me like that?"


The look that Irene gave her was something she expected (afterall what she said was a little bit cliche), it was teasing and there was a little expression of incredulity."Like what? Like I'm inlove with you?"


She shook her head. "No. Like you're sorry."


Stunned, Irene took a few seconds to reply. "Maybe because I am."


"You are?"


Placing the almost empty cup on the table, the older uncrossed her legs and sat up straighter. "I don't know your reason for accepting my offer of friendship and I also mean it when I said that I'm not usually someone who you'd like to be friends with."


True. She hasn't thought of being friends with Irene. Acquaintances, maybe. Someone who'd accompany you inside the classroom or share your earphones with but not friends. They were never friends.


Continuing where she left off, Irene smiled. "But since we're here and I'm glad that you've accepted, I'm here to... come clean."


She was still quiet which prompted Irene to explain. "I at your first impression on me, right?" She chuckled then grimaced. "I was horrible with you and everytime I think about the things I did, I hate myself a little more."


Then why? Why did you do the things you did?


Seulgi wanted to ask but kept quiet.


"My grandmother. I told you about her, right? I stayed with her so much because my family is... dysfunctional." Irene paused with a slight laugh. "That's the best word to describe them and growing up to such environment affected the way I think and view myself."


The Bae's. She heard about them, alright. From her own parents and from other people. Most of the stories were about how great they were and how powerful and influential the family is, but there were a few whispers and talk about some other things. It was starting to make sense to Seulgi.


"You don't have to tell me about this. It's personal and I don't-"


"No. You deserve to know. Not just because you're my friend now but because I-I've hurt you when you did nothing wrong."


Seeing the resolute glint in her eyes, Seulgi decided to let her continue and just listen.


"Where was I?" Irene scratched her brow and frowned. "Oh, right. I was only a child when it started- a very very gullible one who thought that she was better than everyone because that's what her parents told her. She believed it because that's also what the people around her made her feel. I was self-centered, Seulgi. Maybe I still am. I don't know.


"And everytime things didn't go my way, I project the anger towards the world. Towards those who I view weak. You." She whispered the last word, her voice laced with embarrassment and apology.


"I see." Was all Seulgi could reply because that's the truth. Seulgi knew she wasn't the most athletic looking kid, nor the prettiest. She was just an average kid with monolid eyes who liked to read and eat pringles.


"But-" Irene was quick to explain more. "But that doesn't justify what I did. You- You were the first I saw in the playground that one moment I so hated the world. And... you looked so scared yet so ready to accept whatever I'll do to you because... because you thought the same about me."


That she was someone who shouldn't be messed with? That Irene was someone on a higher level than she was?


Yes, she knew. From that moment on...


"It's pathetic and disgusting and embarrassing but everytime I intimidated you or made you cry... I felt powerful. I felt that way because in my family, I was powerless."


"Seulgi."


"Seulgi," Irene called again, more softly this time.


"Y-Yes?" She didn't know why she stuttered, maybe everything was too much to take in already.


"I'm sorry. I really really am. I know I've probably, no. I know I've scarred you. Those- Those awful things I did left an impression on you that's been holding you back ever since. . If I wasn't so caught up in my own fantasy and belief, I'd stop the moment... I saw you change."


"Ir-"


Irene held her gaze, expecting for her to continue. But she couldn't under that piercing gaze. "You're forgiven."


"T-That fast?"


"I couldn't blame you for your actions but I can blame myself for not putting a fight everytime you-" bullied me. She cleared . "You picked on me. I let you. That's that. And... and I already forgave you long ago."


"But I didn't-"


"That time when you transferred to our school... Jisoo asked me why I care so little that you're back and I said that we have this unsaid pact of staying on each other's lane. But I realized it wasn't that."


The air around them became still when no one said anything anymore. Irene was still digesting what she said and Seulgi was doing the same. What she said was the truth. There was no other explanation for her nonchalance or the lack of reaction back in the days, (but she'd be kidding herself if she'll say she didn't become scared upon seeing the older again).


"Thank you."


"What?"


Irene's eyes were misty when she took a deep breath. "Thank you."


"What? What for?"


Irene hung her head low and fidgeted. "For the kindness you showed me even when I don't deserve it. Especially that night after I humiliated you in the cafeteria."


That was the night of the k-kiss! She clenched her teeth and forced a smile just so they can move on to a different topic. "It's okay. You don't have to worry about it. How's the dance going?"


Irene's brow shoot up at her blatant way of diverting the topic but she said nothing about it.


Relieved, she breathed out when Irene answered her. "It's going good. We only have a week left so Lisa's been very... keen to details. Hard but fun."


"That's good."


"You're gonna come and watch again, right?"


"Maybe? Or the day before you perform or something. I don't think I can since I still have so muc in my plate..."


"Oh. I-I understand."


Glancing at her watch, Seulgi saw that it was already seven in the evening which meant that they were inside the cafe for more than three hours already.


Irene also glanced at her watch and her eyes widened at the time. "It's late. We should head back." 


Nodding, Seulgi cleaned their table (practice clean as you go, people!) and when everything was set, she stood up and took her bag. She waited for Irene to gather her belongings as well before they both exited the establishment together.


"I'll drive you home." Irene offered, motioning to her car.


"I- Uhm... thanks but I still have somewhere to go."


"Really?" Seulgi nodded. "But it's late. I won't allow you to walk or take the cab, so please let me drive you there?"


"I can-" she stopped speaking when a hand pulled her towards the black Audi car parked infront of the cafe and Irene stood beside her, opening the passenger seat.


"Get in." She insisted. "It's one of the perks if you're my friend."


Seeing the grin that was plastered on the older's face made her say yes. They cruised the night in silence and some constant humming along with the low volumed radio.


On a red light, Irene turned to her as she tapped the steering wheel casually.


"So, where to?"


"Huh?"


"Where should I drop you off?"


Fixing her seatbelt instead of looking at Irene, she muttered, "I-I'll just point the directions so that..."


She heard her hum and without glancing towards the driver's side, Seulgi instructed where to turn or which exit to take.


After fifteen minutes or so, Seulgi said stop. Both looked outside to see a modest looking house which has a front lawn and two cars parked in its garage.


Starting to unbuckle her seatbelt, Seulgi turned to Irene. "Thank you."


The older was about to open when she closed it again and her eyes squinted, looking past Seulgi.


"Is that-"


Seulgi looked behind and cursed inwardly upon seeing a figure walking towards them. In a blink of an eye, both Seulgi and Irene stepped outside of the car.


"Bae Irene?" Eunae asked, surprise was evident in her face and voice.


"Jo Eun Ae."


"What are you doing here?" The tallest of the three asked.


"I'm the one who drove Seulgi here."


Upon the mention of her name, both women turned towards her and Seulgi ducked her head and made herself a little bit smaller just to avoid both stares that was directed at her.


"Uhm.. yes?"


Irene looked back at the house and her small backpack. "You're... gonna spend time here? A sleepover?"


"No! No. We- uhm-"


A hand on her shoulder stopped her from explaining further. "Bear, you don't have to explain to her."


"R-right. Right."


She tried to shrug off Eunae's hold but the latter was firm in keeping her close. Irene was looking at them both when she bowed and muttered, "Thank you for accompanying me here."


Irene took a step closer to her. "How will you get back?"


"I can drive her home, Irene."


Irene crossed her arms and rolled her eyes at Eunae. "I didn't ask you, did I?"


"But that's what Seulgi's going to say anyway. We've done this a lot of time already, Irene."


"So? I want to hear it from Seulgi's own mouth, Jo Eun... Ae."


Stifling a gasp, Seulgi went between the two women who were both standing too close to each other. If the situation was different from this, she would've laughed at the sight.


Irene who had the disadvantage of Eunae's towering height(yes, she was looking up at the younger), was not backing down from the staring contest. The five inch difference was almost nonexistent with how Irene was glaring with such intensity that Eunae visibly took a gulp and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter