final.

Polaris

I told Chanyeol I wanted to see the stars from a high place so I gave him options on where we could stargaze—the rooftop, the hill, or our school's tower. Even though I gave those suggestions, I still have no clue on where he would take me. I just sat quietly on the passenger's seat, playing with the strap of the seatbelt as if I were playing a guitar; he, on the other hand, was so focused on the road that I can't even start a conversation with him. 


I waited for a minute, two minutes and then three minutes and my chatty side took over. "Where are you going to take me? It's like.." I made a point of getting my cellphone from my purse. "4:39 pm?! I can't believe I could shut up for 9 minutes. Unbelievable." I let out a loud sigh and furrowed my eyebrows because the only reaction I got from him was a chuckle. 

"Seriously though, won't you be talking to me, you ?" Chanyeol never liked it when I call him that, which is like, all the time. He shot a glare towards my direction and finally responded. "Shut up." His voice was so flat that I mustered up everything not to strangle him. "Why did we leave so early though? And you've been driving out of the town, the hill was the best option and it is near to us too." I rolled my eyes and let my complaints roll off my tongue. "Because it is a surprise. You'll love it so you should just shut up and let me drive in peace." 

So I did. 

After what felt like eternity, which was actually just around an hour and fifteen minutes, he finally stopped the car and helped me unbuckle the seatbelt. He was so close that I could smell his cologne and it sent electric currents to me, I could never be able to be this close to him and not feel anything. 

As soon as I was free from it, I opened the door immediately and inhaled the fresh air which smelled like salt. Beach. That's where he took me. I stepped on the damp grass and ran to the direction of the sound of rippling waves; the sun was setting and it created pink, orange and yellow hues. It was breathtakingly beautiful, especially when the darkness was slowly engulfing my surroundings. I removed my shoes and tied their laces together before I climbed down the hill, towards the sand. 

It felt divine when I felt the coarse yet somewhat relaxing texture of the sand under my feet. My fizzy hair, which I have cut short, brushed against my neck as the gentle breeze bring the salty smell of the ocean again. I was starting to become one with nature when I heard someone clear his throat.

Oh yeah, he is here with me. I turned around and looked at him, a big smile plastered on my face. "I love this!!! You don't know how much I love the beach. Are we going to stargaze here? Oh my Goood. This will be so perfect!!" I couldn't hide my excitement and I wasn't trying to, I wanted him to see how happy I am right now. "First of all, we are here because I knew you love the beach, thank me for that. Yes, we're going to stargaze here and look at this." He stretched his closed hand towards me and opened it, revealing a white sea campion. "That's lovely." I closed the distance between us and touched the flower. He smiled at me and proceeded to tuck the flower behind my right ear and I swear to the schools of fish under the sea that I tried my best not to blush, but I still failed miserably.

After that mini heart attack moment, the rippling waves greeted my feet, the water so cold that I got chills running down my spine. There was total darkness now, well maybe not at all, because the moon was giving a faint light. It was not full moon which is nice because the stars stood out the most. 

I let the waves rush against my feet then up to my knee as I walk farther from him, only to be pulled back. "Let's sit down." I was about to protest but what could I do? Once he has set his mind onto it, he will do it. Either he carries me like a sack of rice or I go with him was the choice, don't ask me why the former option was there. It just happened.

We held hand in hand as we walked to a spot where we could sit down without the waves touching our bottoms but could still wash our feet. When we sat down, I tilted my head up and saw the blanket of stars decorating the black canvas of the evening sky. Never have I seen something so beautiful. 

"Look at that star, it's me! It's so beautiful and small." I let out a chuckle as I pointed to him the star I was talking about. He also pointed at a star and told me it was him because it was shining brightly.

"The only thing shining in you is your forehead." I retorted, and he replied by giving me a gentle pinch on my arm. Our playful banter ensued, mean words being thrown half-heartedly then we found ourselves shutting up to admire the silence and the stars. 

I was naming them one by one that I did not notice him staring at me until his voice broke the calming silence that surrounded us.

"You're my polaris. With you, I'll always find home."