ch 1

Yerin's a good devil

be warned that this was all written in one hour and probably has many mistakes

===========================

Imagine waking up in the morning, getting called into work because of an emergency case, getting sent down to Earth via express teleport that left your stomach kind of in a mess with no breakfast in it and realizing that the wrong person can see you.

“Oh, I guess you’re here to take me to hell.”

“You can see me?!”

The girl before her covered in blood shrugged and looked around.

“Am I talking to myself? Of course, I can see you, with your typical devil horns and tail that I assume isn’t a cosplay because you literally appeared before me in an instant of fog and it’s looking pretty nervous.”

Yerin quickly held her tail that was making nervous circles behind her and stepped backwards a little.

“Um….well…fantasy has to come from somewhere.”

“Oh, cool. So fairies exist to then?”

“I-I guess? I’ve never met one..”

“Huh.”

The bloodied girl sat down against the wall with a heavy puff of air sounding closer to a grunt than a sigh of relief, her shoulder looked off.

“Now why did you seem so surprised to hear that I can see you?”

“…Because I only appear to the person I’m guiding to hell.”

Yerin quickly cast a spell and a small magic circle appeared over her left eye, identifying who this mysterious girl was. Hwang Eunbi, a girl who usually went by SinB and was born in 98 and in rather good health for that matter. Waving away the magic circle Yerin looked around finally and saw the reason for the excessive amount of blood on this girl that she wasn’t here to take away.

“Um…did you do this?”

“To be honest, yes. But in self-defense I guess?”

Yerin stepped gingerly over a corpse of an older man, his condition, she didn’t want to mention. Going over to SinB, Yerin looked her over quickly before waving her hand again, a glow appearing in her palm. SinB stared at her and blinked as her cuts and wounds healed up.

“I thought devils were supposed to kill people.”

“No, we’re just the unfortunate people who clean up after Heaven’s mess ups in their reincarnations.”

SinB stretched her shoulder that seemed to be in its proper position once more.

“Then what do angels do?”

Yerin sighed and pulled out her scythe from an interdimensional pocket, to which SinB made a sound of appreciation at the sight of it.

“They handle the reincarnation process.”

Removing the soul from the dead man, it appeared as a small ball of black gas before Yerin placed it into what looked like a glass jar and placed her things back into her interdimensional rift.

“Are you going to take me too?”

Yerin looked at SinB and pursed her lips. Because SinB had seen her, and thus seen her removing her target’s soul from their body, by regulations, she was supposed to either erase her memory, or her existence depending on their personality. Although they had the magic to read who a person’s identity was, it didn’t tell her who they were in their past life, which was why the devils had such a hard time finding and tracking down every criminal before they got resurrected, or when a soul corrupted somehow through a messed up resurrection or creation of souls.

“I will.”

When she reached for her scythe again, Yerin felt a little weird. Her hand had passed through the portal to her space, but when she was trying to focus on what to grab, her energy cut, and the world turned black.

 

 

The sound of birds chirping and the sunlight on her face warming her up woke Yerin up. She sat up quickly and found herself wearing a large tee shirt over her usual outfit of a revealing crop top and hot pants. Her boots were placed beside the room’s doorway that lead to a living room.

Walking outside awkwardly unused to the way human clothes sat on her body despite over her usual clothes, Yerin found the same girl from the day before working in the kitchen.

“Um….”

“Oh, good morning sleepy head.”

“SinB why did you take me here?”

“You know my name? Interesting, but I only did it because you fixed my shoulder, not just like the throw out that happened last night, but like it’s cured. What, are you about to take me to hell again?”

Yerin looked confusedly and just stood there. SinB placed two plates of toast and eggs on the table and sat down, looking up at Yerin as if expecting her to sit down in front of her to eat with her. Awkwardly sitting down, Yerin could only stare at the food that SinB was ingesting but she herself did not eat such things to replenish her energy.

“Do you not eat? I promise I didn’t poison it, not like poison would kill a devil though.”

“…why did you not go to the police?”

“I figured I didn’t want to get called a crazy for one, murdering someone who has appeared on the morning news as a suicide, and for being able to see a devil that no one else can. If you’re an envoy of death slated for those considered failures of angels, then maybe I can argue with you.”

“Argue?”

“Convince.”

Yerin’s tail flicked once in curiosity.

“You’re interested, alright. You won’t take my soul to hell.”

“What makes you think so?”

“Because I did nothing wrong, it’s why you hesitated last night didn’t you?”

Biting her lip at her failure to her duties, Yerin looked away.

“Hey, that makes you special don’t you think?”

“That means I should be fired from my job more like.”

“But no one knows what you did but you, yes? Assuming you don’t have like mind reading as one of your powers, though how did you get my name anyways, my nickname even.”

Reluctant but also not one to lie or be rude to someone who had apparently cared(?) for her to bring her into their home, as devils were not allowed to enter a house that belonged to a human unless the circumstance forced them to use magic to rip through the safety barrier that all humans had without knowledge of its existence.

“I can read your identity; I can’t read minds.”

“Cool. So uh, what was the reason you appeared yesterday? Assuming you were going for the guy that almost killed me.”

Rubbing her arms feeling like she was doing something wrong by explaining phenomenons that humans shouldn’t know about to one and well just the idea that she was even conversing with a human was making her nervous. Still, she was an upright little devil and she returned favors. And this human woman’s life was going to be a lot harder just because she was around her for a while. Her aura had a corrosive effect on others around her. Assuming SinB’s life didn’t just get shrunk by a few days or so, she was going to have terrible luck for a while.

“I was supposed to kill that guy, he was marked a few moments before you took his life and I was emergency dropped in. Maybe that’s why you can see me, is that he died the instant I was being shifted to his position.”

“Will I see devils again since I’ve seen you once?”

“I-I really don’t know. But don’t tell anyone anything about me or anything that you saw.”

“Pssh, I’m not stupid. If I say anything, only the extremist would believe me, and the others would just call me crazy. I’m not crazy by the way, right? You’re actually here?”

This made Yerin smile, this girl was kind of a dork. Reaching over to give a handshake, she grinned.

“Let’s hope you never see me again.”

“I’m assuming you won’t be giving me your name.”

Yerin just smiled as SinB reached her own hand out to receive her handshake. The moment her hand touched Yerin’s though, Yerin disappeared in a flash of fog, like the moment she had appeared before SinB.

SinB sighed and looked at the second helping of breakfast that Yerin didn’t touch in the end.

“I guess I’m having two breakfasts.”

Pulling the second plate closer, SinB started to bite into the toast when she remembered something.

“She disappeared with my shirt!”

 

 

“Why did it take you so long to come back Yerin?”

“I’m blaming our teleporter.”

A younger girl quickly ducked her head and apologized over and over again as Yerin sighed and shook her head.

“Jumping on that emergency messed with my insides and I was feeling too sick to teleport back. Didn’t want to get it jumbled a second time.”

Quietly tucking a large tee shirt into her backpack, Yerin quickly placed it on her back and started to walk out of the locker room of her workplace.

“Next time send a message back at least. Make sure you go home right after you turn that soul in.”

“Yeah I got you Sowon unnie, I swear you should have been born an angel instead.”

“Shut up and go already.”

“Aye!”

Jogging out of the building and heading towards the soul collection building, Yerin breathed a quick sigh of relief. Why did she have to teleport with everything that stayed with her? Of course, she remember to teleport her boots with her, but now she had a tee shirt that she really didn’t know what to do with but hide in her home until she could get rid of it.

 

 

The next time they met, Yerin had been teleported down to earth to stop another man who was about to massacre a full building of people via explosives and the teleporter had placed her two floors higher than the culprit. Quickly blinking through the floors and trying to catch the guy before he pressed the red button, there was something that caught her eye, but she had to take care of her charge first. Teleporting in short steps, otherwise called blinking, she flashed between the people and finally reached the man that was otherwise trying to suicide along with the several hundred people attending this party and the other hundred staff that was working at this party. Pulling her scythe out as no one should be able to see her, she quickly carved out the man’s soul and his body hit the floor in an illusion of a heart attack which would be what was to be diagnosed when going through autopsy. Shoving the soul into the jar and putting it away, Yerin still had to remove the explosives under the building.

SinB blinked her eyes and rubbed them again when she watched a familiar flash of black fog disappear before her and reappear outside the window, dropping down to the first floor. Running for the elevator, she excused herself from the shareholders party that was being held in celebration of her being advanced to director.

Reaching the first floor and still not seeing anything, SinB sighed and pressed the button to go to the underground parking lot. Walking through the pillars and heading towards her car, she paused and backtracked when she thought she saw something. Spotting a scandalously dressed female, SinB had to hold in her laughter but also, one chuckle escaped her and the person she was looking at immediately turned to look.

Yerin hadn’t meant to turn at the sound, since no one was supposed to see her, the laughter should never have to do with her at all. However, she was also trying to remove the last bomb off one of the many pillars in the garage that would have caused a building collapse and if there was someone, she really didn’t need them to come and discover the bomb that she had just uncovered.

“It really is you.”

Yerin ignored her and turned back to the bomb, using her magic to remove all energy left in it before ripping it off the wall and destroying it in her hands via disintegration.

“If you could disintegrate it, why’d you have to be so careful taking it off the wall?”

“Because it could still go off in my hands. Other than that, please stop trying to make me talk with you.”

“Why? Didn’t we already confirm that no one other than us know what’s going on between us?”

Yerin sighed and shoved her scythe back into her rift and prepared to teleport away.

“You took my shirt you know.”

Groaning and pulling her backpack out of the rift, Yerin pulled out SinB’s shirt and threw it to her.

“Happy? I’m leaving. Please don’t see me again.”

“Shouldn’t you be removing my sight then?”

SinB walked up to Yerin casually and Yerin just sighed and placed her backpack into her rift and looked at SinB who was now smiling.

“By the way aren’t you cold showing off that much skin?”

Yerin looked down at herself and shrugged, this was the normal outfit where she was from, but perhaps as she had guessed, this was probably cold for some weaker humans, to have their stomachs exposed to the whims of nature.

“Nope.”

“Here, put this on.”

SinB handed Yerin back the large tee shirt and Yerin just raised her eyebrows.

“You’re a little difficult to look at like that.”

“Excuse me?”

“Are you sure that you aren’t a succubus? Scandalous.”

Yerin huffed and shoved the shirt over her head, not quite sure what was making her listen to this human’s demands.

“Can I get your name this time?”

“No.”

“But if I see you again, how should I call you?”

“You really shouldn’t.”

========================

i dont know when part two or the finale will be but I'm not really promising it

since SOMEONE BROKE THEIR PROMISE AHEM AHEM

NOW SLEEP LIKE GOOD KIDS AND TAKE CARE OF YOURSELVES

YES I MEAN ALL OF YOU