Valkyrie

Healer

  

 

Curious as I was, I put on the first thing I found. I was not so sure how it looked like or how appropriate it was for the courtyard. The dress was too long and too tight for my liking so I shrugged it, cutting it short right at the knee level and transformed the long sleeves into short ones. Now it looked like a short and more defined dress, not a proper one but still not so bad I thought. 

With my hair up in a ponytail, I opened the door to my room and followed wherever the hallways have taken me, I didn't know where I was going but I just walked myself in circles until I found the way out. The courtyard. 

Too big, too spacious like you're having your own village in the back yard and I wondered where everyone else was until I saw this place.

The castle was empty because everyone was ... here, working, building things, fixing others, making sure the crops were well taken care of, and that everyone was secured, safe, and with food on their tables. There were workers, mostly teenage boys, I figured the men were either doing other heavy lifting or died fighting. Women and children were playing around, some washing clothes, others cooking 

and suddenly, their eyes landed on me. 

I cursed myself for cutting the dress ... why did I have to be so modern? No one could ignore the elephant in the village ... Me

Walking out of the castle's main door, I guess Xion was right, they have never seen a girl coming out of the castle before ... maybe? I don't know

I looked around trying to spot one of the Valkyrie and at the very far end of the courtyard, I saw Ravn standing on top of a cart helping in loading and distributing what seems to be vegetables to the people. His armor was gone, he was wearing plain clothes just like everyone else, it was only his green hair that made him stand out. He stood there, with a hand above his eyes covering the sun that blazed at him and waved his hand up in the air. Did he just sign me to come closer?

I didn't know ... I walked over to him anyways. As I walked, people whispered, others scanned me up and down, some little girls started giggling, others smiled at me, greeted me, I felt like I was ... famous, but I just got here 

While walking, I only kept my eyes on my target, get to Ravn, but the other was smiling down at himself, amused at my embarrassment.

I walked over to him, he eyed me up and down "I guess you couldn't keep your earthy ways to yourself" I scoffed "It was too long and too stuffy" I said fidgeting with the fabric of my dress. I realized that since I reached Ravn's side, everyone was either back to what they were doing or just moved away giving us more space. 

"What are you doing?" I asked seeing the way he went back to holding heavy bags and loading them into the cart "This place, these people" he said before loading one more bag "Is our responsibility, making sure they have enough food and water and everything else in between is our duty as the Valkyrie" 

And I started to look around again, are these all the people who lived? Out of Six fallen Kingdoms, only this much? the place looked like the size of a small village I felt sorry for them, the loss they've been through, all the pain just to have a safe roof above their heads and be safe ... their story wasn't much different than mine after all

"Where are the others?" I asked after some time of silence 

"Seoho went with some men to fetch some more water tanks and Hwanwoong is making sure our boats are back safely from their fishing trips, Keonhee ..." he stopped sighting deeply "Went hunting and Xion, I asked him to rest for some time"

"He told me about your attempt to heal him earlier ... even though it didn't work, thank you for trying" he suddenly sounded soft, eyes lingering in the sun looking at me with such gratefulness "I wish I could help more" 

"You will, I'm pretty sure of it" he smiled again "But for now my Lady, why don't you have a look around? don't stay here, you might get your dress dirty"

I pouted, nodding faintly as I took few steps back, I still don't know what to do or what to expect exactly. I was thinking to just go back inside, but instead I was looking around, to the people, to the children playing and when one of them tripped and fell right few steps in front of me, I walked over to him. The poor kid didn't say much "Hey are you okay?" I asked dusting away the dirt off his clothes, his big shiny eyes hesitant, he nodded at me before running back to his mother.
 

And that's how they figured that I wasn't  dangerous. I went in and about the people, I even spoke to some of them, the little girls offered me apples, others got me flowers, but most importantly they loved my dress. Looking at me in every direction possible "Why did you cut it?" little girls asked "Your hair is pretty" and I loved being around them.

For hours, I have walked among them, some offered me food, small gifts, I even found a place where a humble lady made girls garments, now I know where to get the things Xion couldn't get me.

And I heard their stories.

They were all from different Kingdoms, some belonged to the 1st Kingdom others to the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th Kingdom, but I haven't met anyone from the 4th Kingdom. When I asked, everyone was avoiding to reply. These people lost so much, parents, husbands, wives, sisters, brothers, friends, homes and so much more but they never lost hope. Hope that was given to them by the Valkyrie

"No matter how poor we are, we are glad to have these boys to protect us"

"I like Leedo" Little girls and boys of 5 and 6 years old were chattering all about him "He's big and tall, and his voice is scary but he always come to play with us" ... "He makes us toys and always brings sweets with him" ... "He's a swordsman, the son of the 3rd Kingdom is a craftsman, good with his hands and his sword" 

"Did you see the way Seoho play with water? The son of the 2nd Kingdom is gifted too, his charms and powers are like the lost prince of Atlantis" ... "He can listen to the ocean and feel the tide" ... "It is said that at the age of 10, he fell into the river and almost drowned but his gifts saved him"

"Hwanwoong, you'll never meet someone as caring as him" ... "Almost everyone from the 5th Kingdom are gifted people, born with magic or has some charms but they are all gone now, the few who are left don't have any except for Hwanwoong, he can teleport" ... "Hwanwoong mourned for his people for far too long, he still is, the 5th Kingdom was the one who lost the most souls in the most brutal way" 

"Xion? The 2nd son of the 6th Kingdom, he's the youngest, really mature for his age" ... and when I asked what happened to the 1st son, I was given no answers but instead, they changed the subject "Did you see his hair? did you see him lit up" ... "Fire, that's why his hair is purple, Xion can light up the sky if he wants to" ... "Just be sure not to be around him when that time comes my Lady" 

"Ravn, son of the 1st Kingdom, the wisest one" ... "His mind is like a chess game ... just like his father" ... "The 1sk Kingdom they were good with setting strategic plans and engineering, they were the minds behind everything" ... "He's a foresee, a voyant, predicts things before they happen, he can't see the future but inside his head lies a compass to direct the way"

What about the 4th Kingdom? What about Keonhee?

What about Xion's brother? The 1st son of the 6th Kingdom?

Who is behind all this Evil? Why would they do something like this?

What about my parents? What about the Healers before me? 

Do I really have hidden powers?

I had so many other questions now, but the people here were too sad to answer any of them. Maybe they avoided these questions, they didn't want to go over the past again. But I needed to find out.