Twelve

Do Extinguish My Fire
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Their final practical test went smoothly.

 

Their teamwork worked wonders as they struck dozens of mannequins together as a team, using their elements effectively, making some combinations of their elements to create the best damage they could do to the inanimate objects across the open field.

 

Seulgi feels happy, ecstatic even, when the final wooden mannequin cracks, separating a ⅔ part of its upper part from the ground, and Seulgi could say the rest of them feels the same way as they come running together for a group hug, jumping up and down in glee despite their visible tiredness. The air fills with their laughter of joy.

 

“Exceptional work, girls! I’m immensely proud of each one of you,” Miss Bada approaches them with the biggest smile that she ever wears, her white clipboard resting on her side like usual. “Joy and Seulgi, quick thinking back there, using lighting and fire to make explosions. Wendy too. This type of test requires blunt force to destroy the target and you guys did really well.”

 

They all exchange glances with each other, the smile on their lips never vanished. 

 

“Yeri, you spread the fire Seulgi created to the other mannequins with your wind in order to widen the area of effect. It was an effective and smart move.”

 

“It was Joohyun’s unnie strategy.” Yeri gives the credit to the oldest of the team, glancing at her with a smile.

 

Miss Bada smiles as if she already expected this. “Joohyun, you did really well back there with your element and with leading the team as well.”

 

“Thank you, miss.”

 

“From the past few months supervising you guys, I can positively tell that you all are on the right track. As your mentor, seeing the progress of each and every one of you makes me proud. And so, I thinkkkk” Miss Bada brings her eyes to the oldest of the team again. 

 

“Bae Joohyun would be perfect as the leader of this team.”

 

They turned their faces to the newcomer, which is none other than Sir Yang himself. He crosses his arm in front of his chest with a satisfied smile, very similar to the one that he wore back then when they were first assigned as a team.

 

“Exactly.” The mentor completes.

 

“What did I tell you guys back then? I knew this team would be great.”

 

 This time, they exchange an excited look with each other.

 

“Does that mean…?”

 

The man nods his head before announcing the good news to them.

 

“Congrats Team 5, you guys passed the test.”

 

 

 

 

“CONGRATS GIRLS”

 

Seulgi is ambushed by Yongsun from behind. Thank God she had showered, if not, she would feel bad for the senior.

 

She merely lets out a hearty laugh while Joohyun, who is being hugged (by her neck) too, slaps the forearm lightly while shushing her.

 

“It’s already past 10 pm!”

 

“Relax, you’re in the Fire dormitory area, everybody’s loud here!” Yongsun let go of her hug on Seulgi's side to playfully rub the top of her head with her other hand (a bit roughly, if Seulgi may say). 

 

Wendy, Joy, and Yeri look amused with the scene happening in front of them, probably not used to seeing Joohyun getting ‘bullied’ by another person like this, different from Seulgi who’s already used to Yongsun’s antics.

 

“Hey,”

 

Seulgi feels the chair shift so she looks to her right, giving a smile to the other newcomer.

 

“Congrats on passing the test!”

 

He opens his arms wide to give her a side hug, and she automatically reciprocates it. 

 

“Thanks, Jaebum.”

 

He grins at her before taking his attention to the rest of the people sitting at the long table. “Congrats, all of you! I made this for you guys to liven up the happy mood, and as a way for me to congratulate you guys.”

 

“Hm, smells amazing,” Wendy comments seconds after Jaebum opens the lid from the pot that’s situated on the center of the table. “What’s that?”

 

“It’s the ever-delicious Spring Pea Soup!” He replies with a proud smile, putting their stack of white bowls on top of the table before taking one of them to pour the said food into it. “one of my specialty dishes. A masterpiece, I tell you guys. Care to tell us your thoughts about this, Seulgi?”

 

He directs the question to her, wagging his eyebrows, and Seulgi chuckles at that. 

 

“Oh, yeah. It tastes good.” 

 

“-Um, very delicious, you mean” Jaebum corrects. “She used to be addicted to this.”

 

“Addicted?” Yeri snorts, finding it quite funny.

 

“Hell yeah,” He replies confidently as he situates the soups in front of them. “What, you used to eat this like 5 times a week? Every night I had to prepare the ingredients and felt like being a servant for a princess. Except you’re more like a witch.”

 

Jaebum groans when a hit lands on his forearm.

 

“Huh, you didn’t cook for me, JB. It was only one time back then but you kept on cooking for our girl here?” Yongsun says teasingly as she puts her chin on top of her palm.

 

Oh?

 

Seulgi raises her eyebrow at this. She thought he cooked it for some of their friends from Fire element like back then.

 

“...Well, I mean, you didn’t really like it right, noona?” Jaebum rubs his neck awkwardly when all of their eyes are on him. “You said it’s not the type of food that you like”

 

Yongsun shrugs nonchalantly. “Touche.”

 

“But now you give this again to her, even after knowing that she doesn't like it?” Joy jokes lightheartedly, trying her best to suppress a laugh.

 

“Yeah, that’s Jaebum for you.” Yongsun makes a grimace expression playfully, earning laughs from the others. 

 

Yeri hums, swallowing the chewed food inside before looking at Jaebum again. “So now you don’t cook for Seulgi again?”

 

Jaebum shrugs, putting the lid to the pot again before sitting down. “Nah, she asks me not to, dunno why though, you grew sick of it or something?”

 

Seulgi shakes her head at Jaebum’s question. “No, it’s just that I kind of feel bad receiving the foods that you have to cook every day.”

 

He hums.

 

“Honestly, I don’t really mind.”

 

A beat of silence and Seulgi knows she should’ve been the one to reply to him but the problem is, she doesn’t know what to say to that.

 

Thank God Wendy is quick to fill in. “Then you should give this to me instead if Seulgi doesn’t want it, I’d be happy to eat this every day.” 

 

“Yeah, me too. I can’t deny that this soup really is, very delicious.” Joy chimes in.

 

And just like that, the atmosphere is back to normal again. Not that it was weird before, but there was just something out of the ordinary in the air when Jaebum said that. They all felt it too, she knows. 

 

Seulgi glances at the girl on her left, noticing that Joohyun has been really quiet, not saying any single word until now, which is kinda odd, but she decides to not question it.

 

Their celebratory hangout went well throughout the night, Seulgi would like to say.

 

Aside from the fact that Joohyun becomes quiet throughout the rest of the evening.

 

 

 

 

Seulgi has been attending this academy for 4 months, more or less, and honestly speaking, she really loves being a student here. The closest people that she could call as her friends now, the nature, the architect, living in a dorm by herself, everything.

 

And the more she spends her time with them, the closer she is with them as well, naturally. She’s still misses spending her time with her dad, and moki, of course, but her friends fill in the spot in her heart for her. At least during the time she’s attending the academy.

 

Seulgi becomes more and more comfortable spending her free time with them, including with Joohyun. And so does the latter. 

 

If Seulgi in the past sees the situation she has now, she probably wouldn’t believe it and laugh. Bae Joohyun, the senior that used to glare at her every time they interact, becomes the senior that always wears a warm smile every time her eyes meet hers. And over these past few months of becoming her close friend, Seulgi didn’t know that Joohyun has a habit of being… slightly tactile.

 

Not like she does it often, and maybe she’s always like this with her closest friends. Maybe Seulgi just didn’t notice it. But growing up, Seulgi is not the kind of person that does stuff like touching other people to express her affectionate feelings.

 

And Joohyun, well...

 

Seulgi doesn't mind the subtle gestures from the older girl, really. If anything, it somehow makes her happy in some way, knowing that there are only a handful of people that Joohyun is comfortable enough to do that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter