Chapter 4

Mine, But Not Really

The sun’s blazing down, at its absolute hottest this evening, my lungs feel there’s a giant clot inside blocking my airways, and sweat is cascading down my spine; the beads of perspiration soaks right through my gray shirt, now making it look like it’s originally black—so I don’t really mind that.

 

I crouch down, place my head between my knees, and release a deep, breathless sigh. My vision’s doing this thing where when I’m overworked, patches of black blanket my sight, and I’m seeing pure darkness for a few seconds. Why on Earth did I suggest Jungkook and I play basketball tonight?

 

My vision goes up to him; I start at his lengthy legs and then scale up to his built arms, tossing a basketball from hand to hand, and finally up to the sweat clinging his hair to his forehead.

 

Oh yeah, that’s why.

 

This whole evening has been an absolute show; I knew my hand-eye coordination wasn’t all that great after failing almost every video game I tried, but damn, I didn’t know I was this hopeless. Each time I’d dribble from the ball, it would slip out of my grip like there’s butter on my fingers, and when I’d shoot, it would always end up in a 20 degree angle, like it was my aim to not make it in.

 

To make things worse, he’d run off and leave me behind to play, checking his phone for texts from Yuna. He ran out 10 times to check his phone within 2 hours, I counted.

 

“How ‘bout you get in two more shots and we’ll call it a night?” Jungkook says from above; the sun is right behind me, so I have this perfect, pristine sight of him, while I am praying that my face is barely visible.

 

“Considering it took me 2 hours to get five in,” I sigh, “to my calculations, that’s about another hour out here… and it is too late for that. I’m so bad.”

 

I get off my bottom, sweeping the dust from the red clay surface, and Jungkook meets me with a smile when I approach him.

 

“You’re not, Seri,” Jungkook starts, but I give him a look like I’m saying, dude come on, now. “You’re not the worst, at least.”

 

“It blows my mind how nice you can be, seriously. I am at this, and you know it,” I answer. He gestures me to stand at a certain line on the court, and then points to the hoop.

 

“Just practice some more. Look at my wrist,” Jungkook advises me, and then prompts flicks his wrist, as one arm goes up, the other moves in the opposite direction, and I watch as the ball swoops cleanly from his grasp right on the rim, circling around twice, before going straight through the net.

 

“Okay,” I say. This about the fifth time he’s taught me to examine his posture and wrist, but it’s easier to see him do it blindly than actually learning to implement it myself. I try my best; my right hand flicks at a 90 degree angle, my toes get about two inches off the red clay, and I push the ball towards the hoop.

 

The ball literally goes rightward, as if the breeze picked it up in its arms and said get that out of here!. I sigh for the umpteenth time, once I see it go right past the hoop and end up in the wood pellets from the playground area.

 

“Maybe next time we can just watch a movie for a hang out,” I propose, and Jungkook lets out a soft chuckle. He grabs the ball and invites himself to sit next to me on the painted gravel.

 

“I’m glad we tried this out at least, you’ve never asked to play ball with me before.”

 

“Oh, yeah, uh… I just thought we’d try out different things! Spend the most of the time we have left together.”

 

Jungkook gives me a side glance. “What do you mean by that? Like me and Yuna?”

 

“Oh, no, no! I meant like…,” I hesitate. Yes you ing genius, the remaining time I get after your precious little girlfriend!

 

“After we graduate,” I finish, “who knows where we’ll end up, you know? Maybe you’ll go to a university miles and miles away from me.”

 

“Oh. Well, there’s a possibility we go to the same one too,” Jungkook answers. It’s touching, but I can’t help but think if it’s the same one that Yuna goes too. Then, it would be the three of us, and I’m just the pathetic third wheel.

 

“I’ll be praying in the meantime,” I supply. “Would you want to go to the same college as Yuna?”

 

I can see Jungkook shuffle around, but I can’t tell if it’s from discomfort or not. “I haven’t thought that far to be honest.”

 

“Really? Cause.. Cause I would. I mean like, she’s so gorgeous and is so smart and athletic; she just sounds like a great fit for you. So far. I think you guys would last,” I say. Prying more information about Yuna out of him comes at a cost, because every following word I say hurts me bit by bit.

 

“Okay, crazy. I barely even talked about her.” Jungkook laughs, and my eyes widen like I’m busted in my act. “Where’d you get all of that from?”

 

“I mean,, I saw the Instagram photo and she’s just really pretty. I’m thinking she’s smart because she skipped a grade to be in college, and athletic because she was in soccer camp with you. Am I wrong?”

 

“Hm. Now that you explained it like that, it makes a lot more sense.” I sigh quietly from relief.

 

“She is insanely smart though. She was always quick to think on her feet, and she thought of the most creative ways to organize activities. Oh, and was a crazy good talker. Some parent came all angry, stomping into the camp, about how their child got hurt, and she was able to talk through them so well! Even the manager couldn’t get the parent to calm down, but she was able to convince them not to press charges. Cool right?”

 

“Ah, that’s so impressive!” I fake a smile.

 

“And with the athleticism part- not only is she a living legend in soccer, might be one of the best female counselors I saw, but she also plays basketball too!”

 

This couldn’t get any worse. What is this girl?! It sounds like she was made in some factory, practically molded for Jungkook.

 

Jungkook continues in his whole monologue bragging about his girlfriend, “We’d have some of our best times together playing ball. Sunset in the background. No kids tugging at our shorts and whining about how it was too hot.”

 

“That’s very cute,” I’m able to answer. Jungkook looks at me, and perhaps my deadpan expression was a giveaway at how I really did not want to listen to another word, and so he gets up on his feet.

 

“Want to get ramyun? On me, since you’ve exercised way too hard shooting all those points.”

 

“You’re going to regret that,” I answer and pat my empty stomach. “Because I’m in the mood to freaking feast.”

 

--

 

“Sorry, in a food coma,” I groan as I encase Taehyung’s body pillow in my arms. I roll over with my eyes all the way closed, and when I open them for just one second, I see Taehyung staring right down at me with wide eyes and a snarl on his face.

 

“I invited you in to provide a listening ear,” Taehyung says, “not for your sweaty body to roll around in my sheets while you moan into a pillow.”

 

“Sorry. You’re right, I think I just reverted back to 6 year old me for a second,” I answer and sit up straight on his bed. Taemi is out for ice skating practice, and I had texted the both of them that I needed their help after hanging out with Jungkook. I could tell Taehyung was hesitant at first, replying ‘uhhh maybe you should wait’, but I had told him it was urgent and that I might die if I don’t say it now.

 

A little dramatic, but it got the job done.

 

“So, how’d it go?” Taehyung asks as he sits opposite from me, laid back in his swivel chair.

 

“For one, I am so unfit. I’m freaking sore everywhere, like my arms hurt like hell, but I feel some soreness even in my fingers. My fingers!” I yelp and put both of my hands in front of his face to examine.

 

“I meant you and Jungkook and Yuna. That situation.” Taehyung says coldly, and I frown. Again, I could always count on him to cut right to the chase.

 

“Well, basically… I’m ed. She’s perfect.”

 

“I thought we already settled on that.”

 

“Ugh, I miss Taemi. Can you video call her or something because I can’t do this with you.”

 

“I’m joking, just jokes! It’s a joke, Seri.” Taehyung awkwardly laughs, and I just roll my eyes.

 

“Anyways, apparently Yuna is very smart. She’s able to solve problems quickly in a responsible manner and is a very good talker. Also, confirmed legend in soccer, and--oh! She plays basketball too, just like him. Honestly, if you think I should give up now, just tell me. I have nothing compared to her.”

 

I put my head down and heave a big sigh in my chest. Saying it out loud was a lot more pitiful than I thought.

 

“Hey,” Taehyung reaches out to point my chin up to his line of sight again. “Don’t say that. You have years on years of close friendship that she doesn’t. You guys grew up together. You’re being way too hard on yourself, Seri.”

 

“Am I? Do I sound crazy or is she some human Barbie that’s perfect in all aspects? Meanwhile, I can’t even make breakfast without burning something or run a mile without dying 20 steps in.”

 

“The first choice. Yes, you sound crazy,” Taehyung answers. “So what do you want to do with this? Prove to him that you’re just as smart or just as athletic?”

 

I bite my lip. Maybe that was the way for him to like me again. I could prove to him that I had just the same qualities Yuna does. Basketball was out of the picture for now, but Jungkook could be amazed by my brains--that was possible!

 

“Yeah, I want to prove to him that I am just as smart! I can do that!” I exclaim. I jolt up from Taehyung’s bed out of excitement, and when I stand up, I see past Taehyung’s head to the many certificates and glimmering medals on his walls. Amazed, I walk past him to approach his shrine of all his accolades.

 

“Hey, what are you-”

 

“Holy , you have so many honors,” I mutter while tracing my finger down the walls. Chess champion, 1st place in the math tournament, highest ranking in the whole grade… I knew Taehyung was intelligent, but wow, this was a lot. My eyes travel to a picture of him awkwardly hugging his partner in the math tournament 2 years ago; his braces fill up half of his face, and his hand is weirdly pressing down on the girl’s waist.

 

“You look so awkward in this,” I laugh , and Taehyung comes up from behind me to see.

 

“Yeah… Taehyung with braces was a weirdo.”

 

“I’m sorry… did you say that you were one? Like in past tense?”

 

“Ha ha,” Taehyung says sarcastically. “So funny I forgot to laugh.”

 

“Hey, it’s a joke. I’m just joking!” I say to mimic his antics just a few minutes before, and he laughs along with me. “But I’m serious- this is really impressive. You’ve always been so smart.”

 

“I try,” Taehyung shrugs his shoulders and puts his hands in his jeans.

 

“Holy ,” I let out when the lightbulb has switched on in my head. “I need to do this. I need to do all of this to show Jungkook that I’m smart too!”

 

“Uh… I don’t think it’s that easy to just get first place by the snap of your fingers.”

 

“I could go to your meetings! Like all your nerd clubs!”

 

“Don’t call them nerd clubs,” Taehyung rolls his eyes. “They’re super helpful enrichment opportunities that the majority of students are way too lazy to actually take advantage of.”

 

“Uh… ouch?”

 

“If you want to be a part of them, then you need to understand its purpose. Not that its just a silly little nerd club.”

 

“Right. Its purpose. Which is for me to pretend that I’m smart so that Jungkook will believe that I am and dump Yuna and come crawling back to me and we’ll live happily ever after.” I sigh after that mouthful. “That is the purpose of this club for me.”

 

Taehyung shakes his head in disapproval. “Fine, at least you have some sort of motivation. Anyways, next Math Club meeting is in a few days, so I’ll text you. We could go together.”

 

“Awesome!” I shout and jump in Taehyung’s arms for a hug. “Take that, Yuna! I’d like to see you be the newest member of the Math Club of our high school!”

 

“Well, she’s probably busy taking college calculus, so.”

 

“Ok, whatever! I’m pretty good at math anyways. I think. To me, anyways.”

 

“Oh yeah? I can put your name down to compete in our math tournament then? Since you’re soo smart, I’m pretty sure Jungkook will be on his knees begging for you once he’s learned you’re competing.”

 

“Wait- really?”

 

“No, I’m just kidding. We need the best of the best to compete, and no offense, Seri.”

 

“No, this could be my peak! This could be the of it all where I win first place, and Jungkook realizes that I’m way smarter than Yuna!”

 

“I was honestly just kidding. You really don’t need to sign yourself up for this.”

 

“But I want to. What, I join the Math Club and Jungkook is in love with me again? No, I need a title. I need to win. He’ll see I’m first place and he’ll be swayed, I’m sure of it.”

 

“You sure about this? It’s not easy like you think it is. It’s a lot of work.”

 

“And I’m committed to doing that work! I’m committed to this plan. Operation Get Him Back.”

 

“Didn’t know there was a name to this… but, okay. If this is what you want to do, then sure, Seri. I’ll put your name down.”

 

“Thanks! This is gonna be great. Jungkook’s going to be so impressed with me!”

 

“Yup. I hope it all goes to plan.” Taehyung gives me a smile and I grab him in a hug again. I am really going all in on this plan, getting Jungkook back. But, with a friendship like our’s and just the fact that we are the most compatible pair on Earth, I’m sure it’ll be all worth it in the end.