Chapter 2- First Day Mayday Part 1

Love Lessons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The first chapter was too good for my own liking so I hope this meets your expectations <3<3

____________________________________________________________________________________

Setting: ENOZI International School, 5:30:31 A.M.

Someone named Kim Minju is earlier than the early bird. That's because she ain't a bird.

She is a frog and some frogs are nocturnal. She comes out even before the sun has even cleared the gounds from it's eyes.

In other words, Kim Minju has already arrived at school at 5:30 A.M 

"Welcome Back Miss Minju! You're especially early today." One of the school's security guards who were there for their night duty greets her with a jolly tone.

"Had to do something before classes starts. Have a Good Day Mr. Lee!" Minju replies with the same enthusiam and she mixes in a little bit of a white lie so she woudn't look dumb in front of the 50-year old security guard. She honestly doesn't know why she is already here.

"Sure thing, Maam!"

Minju nods as a reply and saunters to the Main Academic Building where the faculty offices for the Humanities, Mathematics, and Technology units are situated.

She walks through the hallways and quickly mulls over on why is she already here at 5:30 A.M. Minju always goes to school early since her first year of teaching; that's why she got branded with the name "Frog-like Miss Kim" but at 5:30 A.M? Another coin for Minju's piggy bank of impulsiveness. Hopefully, she will have enough energy to get through the day. 

Nearly two hours ago, she suddenly woke up at 4:00 A.M and the moment she opened her eyes, her body had a mind of it's own and decided to take a bath. She also prepared her breakfast and packed lunch for the day. Time just passed by.

Before she even knew it, she is already at the bus stop waiting for the 5:00 A.M schedule. 

And now,  she has arrived in front of the Humanities Unit Faculty Room and as expected, no one is there yet. Minju then scavenges for her own copy of spare keys from her careworn Prada handbag that her parents gifted her on her 20th birthday.

As she opens the door, she hastily goes to her cubicle, places her bag and things down, and sits down on her white office chair. She then thinks on ways to kill time while she waits for the bell to ring. She has already organized all her belongings last week and it looks like she's got nothing to do.

She looks at her 100,000 won  Authenthic Fossil watch and it says 5:47 A.M. She has approximately an hour and 13 mins until the 7:00 A.M bells comes alive. 

Minju then decides to get a cup of coffee from the school vending machine and find a spot at the grandstand to admire the field and trees gracing the school oval and wait for the sun to greet her good morning. A little bit of Vitamin D won't also hurt.

She gets out of the faculty room and finds the vending machine beside the school publication office. 

She mentally praises whoever decided to put the vending machine beside the pub office. Most pub editors work overnight to chase deadlines and coffee is the best remedy to get through all of that workload. Been there, done that.. 

She fetches a 1,000 won bill from her pocket and pushes some buttons to get a can of  black coffee. Minju then,

smiles.

Black coffee. That damned black coffee. 

She waits for the coffee to come out and grips it tightly once she gets a hold of it. She rests her head on the vending machine and bangs it lightly. She chuckles sparingly as she does the said motion. 

Oh dear. She is going crazy. 

Thankfully, no one is mad enough to go to school at this time of day just to witness the infamous Social Science teacher going non compos mentis ( literally not having control of one's mind) over a stranger who goes by the name Chaewon whom she just met 3 days ago.

Chaewon, just get out of my freakin' mind if you don't want to appear in front of me. 

But then as if on cue, Minju hears some foot steps and her mind was racing. She immidiately turns her head in anticipation.

It maybe impossible but what are the odds? Minju has no clue where Chaewon works or something in that lane; she might as well take her chances. 

Is her wish finally coming true?

Is this the destiny word that they were talking about? 

Minju stretches her neck more so she could recognize the shadow that was approaching her.

It has a cap maybe it's finally her. Minju then squints her eyes so she could make up the words printed on the cap. It says:

Violeta....Security ....Agency.....?

"Good Day again Miss Kim!, Getting your morning coffee?"

Good heavens. What was I expecting?

It was Mr. Lee doing his hourly rounds. Again, she just wants to strike her head on the vending machine.

Maybe she should try it? Maybe all the coffee cans and snacks will be bestowed upon her considering the number of times, she has embarrassed herself. 

Minju then composes herself when she noticed that she has been caught like a deer in headlights by a security guard doing it's hourly rounds. 

"Not exactly pleased with your coffeee, Miss Minju? You have been bumping your head. Does it hurt?" 

Eheh.

Minju awkwardly laughs to herself. 

I guess there is someone mad enough to witness me having a breakdown. 

"Uh no Mr. Lee, My coffee is actually great." Minju reproaches the middle-aged man awkwardly while raising her left hand where her coffee rests.

Mr. Lee looks at her in an uncertain manner. 

"Ms. Minju, I'm sorry if I sound rude but it looks like you bruised your head. Are you sure you're all right?"

Goodness Mr. Lee, just continue your early rounds and leave me alone. I still have some pity left for myself. 

"I'm alright Mr. Lee. I was just doing some head exercises. My head needs some conditioning before classes start. I guess, I have overdone myself. Also, gotta try if this vending machine is a nice equipment for it."

Mr. Lee was about to say something but Minju quickly cuts him off. 

"Uhm, Be careful while doing your rounds, Sir. I'll get going!." Minju swiftly says and strides to the right wing of the academic building where an access road to the school oval is located. The students are actually so clever for making this short-cut. A 10 minute walk has been cut short to 5 minutes. 

When Minju arrives at the grandstand, she lets out some air to express the relief that she was feeling.

Minju, you . Head exercises? Really?

Well, past is past even though it happened like 6 minutes ago. Hopefully, Mr. Lee is quiet man and won't spill some beans to his colleagues and the students.

But security guards can be talkative, you know. They just sit there at the guard house for hours. Obviously, they would talk about random things with each other. 

Moving on (hopefully from Chaewon) , Minju sits on one of the benches and places her coffee beside her. She looks and admires the trees dancing with the wind. 

Most students think that teachers are just boring beings holding a book and talking in front of the class even though at times, no one is listening.

Well surprise Gen Zs cause they have personal lives too. They have their own problems and concerns but they still try to understand you and listen to your problems.

Minju is that kind of teacher. She treats her students as her own children and it's a big relief for her that all the advisory classes she handled are well and that's atleast to her knowledge.

She always have these five-minute talks with each of her students every three months so she could listen to their concerns and give them advice. Everyone says that Kim Minju is a monk.

But this monk can't get hold of herself. She dips her head on other people's problems but hers are already piled up higher than Mount Everest.

She loudly sighs.

She knows, she needs help or else she will break down like her sister's dry pie crust.

Unbeknownst to her, 30 minutes passed by quickly. 

Realizing that the sun has already showed itself, Minju stands up to go back to the faculty room and wonders about her saviour's whereabouts.

Well, her bento box perpetator is currently busy with something.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“ Traffic”

If there’s anything that Chaewon wants to off her life, it’s the biggest grievance to humanity and it comes in a close third with wars and poverty: traffic. She wants to pull-out her hair because she only has 15 minutes left till class starts (sometimes you gotta be bald) . Also, the school where she teaches is still atleast 10 kilometers away from where she is and unless her car is the Usain Bolt of cars and she won’t get a speeding ticket; she won’t get there on time.

Chaewon just knocks her head on the steering wheel in frustration.

Her students all made a comment last year that she is always late in class and she wants to change that so she has at least one good quality as a teacher. But she did have a good quality as a teacher and her students who are probably spawns of satan (it maybe wrong to call her students that but she keeps it to herself) loved it: All students who come late because of traffic are immediately off-the hook. She doesn’t want to be labeled as a hypocrite and she understands the feeling so she just shrugs it off. But she became too kind with that rule 

And because of that she got played around by those pesky teenagers.

So here's the story: One day, all of them came late. They all came to her class exactly 30 minutes late and that’s already half of her class. She was fuming because she made an effort that day to come early for her first subject. What frustrated her the most is when they all said that they were all late because of traffic and had those puppy eyes that looked disgusting because they were all 17-18 year olds.

Subsequently, Chaewon just shrugged her shoulder and continued her class. She doesn’t want to waste another 30 minutes scolding grown-ups. They are already close to legal age and they should already know that they did something wrong. She also didn’t  want to give those big babies the satisfaction they wanted so she pretended that she has an eternal grudge with them.

She played cool with it but in the inside: it was consuming her entire being. Teenagers are really different nowadays.

But that was in the past. She wants to change her habits so she won’t have to enforce that stupid rule ever again.

Chaewon lifts her head after reminiscing her dreadful experience with 11th grade students.She looked so done but suddenly, she hears the driver behind her car honking and shouting like a mad man. An annoyed expression slowly grows on her face. 

Why is this driver so noisy? He ain’t the only one having a toxic relationship with traffic jams.

She watches the situation unfolding in front of her and she wants to just bang her head to the steering will until she bleeds and dies on the spot.

Good Lord. I can see the light.

“MISS! ARE YOU BLIND?! THE STOPLIGHT ALREADY SAYS GO! YOU ARE A HINDRANCE TO SOCIETY. THEY SHOUDN’T LET WOMEN DRIVE.”

Oh dear , you did not  just said  that 

Did Chaewon just said that she wants to die? Well yes, but she wants to bring that driver with her and let him see the light first.

Chaewon did feel embarrassed at first but that man should be more embarrassed with himself. And well, she feels a little bit brave with herself today; she might as well do something that could brighten her day.

Before she opens her window, she puts on her mask. She doesn’t want to be called to the Director’s office and admin after the stunt that she will be doing today. 

Ladies and Gentlemen, the show has just began.

She opens her window and clears for her monologue that could land her jobless. Here goes nothing: 

“WELL MISTER, YOU’RE A BIGGER HINDRANCE TO SOCIETY. I CAN HEAR YOUR MOM CRYING BECAUSE SHE BROUGHT A JACK- LIKE YOU IN THIS WORLD.” She raises her middle finger and scoffs before closing her window and speeding off.

Some men nowadays are useless. She already has accepted her mistake but that man just had to say that one sentence. She admitted that she was a bit out of her trance but does he have to generalize women like that? He might as well live in the 1800’s so he could live the patriarchal drea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter