Chapter 1- Cats and a Bento Box

Love Lessons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They were right. Adulting is like looking both ways while crossing a street and getting hit by an airplane. You're tired. You're broke. (Well, not exactly broke) You're exhausted. You do the things you're supposed to do and by the end of the day, you still wonder why your back is hurting like hell. Well, that is exactly what Minju thinks. 

It's been four years since she moved out of her parents' home. She's 25 and already has a stable teaching job at a nearby International School. It pays her the big bucks but it's hard being alone and you just wonder about what will happened to you and where that money will get you. She just misses the times where she would just go home from school and eat the spicy rice cakes that her mother made for her.  She misses the times that she doesn't have to pay the bills and just lay around her room after class and gush on the boyband posters plastered on all four corners of her tiny room.  

Exhausted by her own thoughts, she dismisses her sentiments by thinking it's all part of growing up. She would like a breath of fresh air. She tells herself.  

She then gets up from her worn-out sofa and decides to go for a stroll on a nearby park.She made sure everything in her 2-bedroom condominium is intact and locks the door before going out. She really doesn't know why she bought a 2 bedroom condo.  A very expensive condo to be exact. Her parents live nearby and they would have no reason to visit her overnight. She woudn't want to bother herself to look for a roommate because she hates strangers invading her personal space. Another point goes to bad life decisions, she guesses. 

"Well, today is a beautiful day atleast." She tells herself in a small voice. 

 She puts her hands on the sides of her cream hoodie and crosses the street to get to the park. While walking, she spots a bright orange animal beside the fountain. 

Minju curiously observes the big tabby cat in front of her and slouches down so they are in the same level. It's just rolling on its back having the time of its life and making loud purring noises.

"What a good life this cat has." She admits loudly to herself. A lot of things ran through her mind while observing the cat. This cat just lays around and be cute with the people in the neighborhood and gets fed with all the good food and gets showered with all the love. They just eat, play, and sleep. .If she had a chance, she would be a cat in her next life. Cats were also considered as bearers of good luck in the Ancient Egyptian society. Maybe she should consider being a cat on that specific era and just indulge herself with all the jewelry and food that is fit for royalties. 

Being a Social Sciences teacher, Minju has already opened her  mind on the deeper aspects of society and how it works but on the contrary she fails to recognize the simpler things on life like adulting for example. If she had known it was this hard, she would never get out of her parents' home. Minju was a rather organized person and was not expecting this but she knew she has to get over it and move on with her life.

Minju sighs loudly and gets up from watching the cat. She walked around for a few minutes and finds a convinience store nearby. It's broad daylight but she decides to get a can of  cold black coffee and a pack of gum to refreshen her thoughts. Her coffee is black just like her soul; she chuckles at thought and continues on drinking her can of coffee. A new wave of notion started to ponder on her mind. 

You see, it's a new school year in a few days  and the summer vacation has already ended. She is rather thankful for that. Teaching became her distraction from the underlying dangers of adulting. It maybe exhausting but it also became her escape from reality.

Because being a teacher is so systematic. You have your own teaching schedule and your days are always packed. She checks papers during break times, reviews her students' essays (which can be time consuming especially when their handwriting is worse than a five-year old's" ), reviews her lesson plan, read some reference books, and teach some students who are up for some remedial classes. You barely have anytime to breath,much more think about other things. Weekends are another story. It's a short time of rest and when sunday comes you just wonder why it's suddenly monday again tomorrow. 

She looks around the convinience store looking for some food to get before she leaves. She scans her eyes for a while and it  catches a bright packaging of a pre-made bento box . The bento box looks scrumptious and it has the tempura that she was craving all week. It maybe premade but it's the best she could get.

She immidiately sets the target but before she could stand up she sees a woman in a mint green cap approaching her precious bento box. She roughly stands up pushing her chair out and grabs her can of coffee. She runs fast but realizes that it would be too late and well

happends.

"What. The. Hell." Her bento box perpetrator growls at her. It maybe the cutest growl that graced her ears but it was scary at the same time. 

Minju felt chills growing on her skin. How can she be so impulsive!? She scolds herself. Well,she may or may not have thrown her can of coffee towards her bento box perpetrator. The coffee can also hit a spot on the woman's torso. The coffee was dripping on the girl's shirt and it made a big damp spot on the center. She repeatedly scolds herself and panics. She also covers because she is also shocked on what she did. Maybe she was so hungry then her body acted faster than her mind. 

Realizing that she should do something, Minju grabs her handkerchief from her pocket and wipes the woman's torso carefully, afraid that her bento box perpetrator might snap on her. The woman has this deadpan expression painted on her face. Hundreads of apologies then came out of Minju's mouth. 

"Miss, what are you doing?" The woman caustiously asks and with that our girl Minju panics again like a squid poured with soy sauce. 

"Oh my god, I am so sorry. I was just looking for something to eat and I saw that bright red bento box" Minju spurts out faster than eminem could have ever wished. 

The woman changes her expression into a warmer one and chuckles and good lord, that was the most charming chuckle Minju has ever heard in her entire lifespan of 25 years. Minju just stares at the girl and was quite dissapointed that a mask was covering her face. 

"Well, if you are that hungry, you could have just asked. I could be a gentle woman at times you know. Especially, for a pretty woman like you." The bento box perpetrator speaks smoothly.

Did. She. Just. Flirt. With. Me.

Minju does not know how to react with that. She would immidiately answer her students' questions at school like Einstein would but this was another universe.

"Miss, are you alright?" The woman asks again. Now with a face of worry because she thinks that might have paralyzed Minju. 

After a few daunting seconds, our girl Minju speaks atlast.

"Oh? Oh. Im r-really s-sorry for the m-mess I made." Minju rambled again. She wants to smack herself because no coherent words are definitely going out of her any minute.

"Well, it's quite a shock when someone just threw their coffee can at you when you just want that sandwich beside that precious bento box of theirs." The woman said with a quite amused voice and pointed the tuna mayonaisse sandwich she wanted. 

Minju just wants the floor to swallow her whole. She is dying of embarrassment. A few days till her sacred teaching life will comeback to her and this happends. What a lucky girl she is. 

"Yeh...I just wanted the bento box." Minju knows that she needs to do something with the woman's shirt but no ideas are coming out of her head. She is frustrated with herself. Being a skilled debater when she was in college, she should now how to make fast decisions for the team yet again, this is another universe. 

"Miss, I just wanna ask if I can borrow your hoodie? My shirt is quite drenched and I have to meet up with someone in a few hours." The woman suggests but Minju was still on a state of awe. She then takes her time to observe the woman's physique and outfit. . The woman is maybe a cm shorter than her and has a lean figure. She is wearing a plain white shirt that would compliment her small face if isn't for the mask and cap and of course, that big damp spot her coffee made . She also fashions herself with a pair of white joggers and stan smiths. That mint green cap tops the over-all outfit very well like a cherry on top.

Then, she realized that she may have looked stupid when the woman was saying something and she was gawking at her like a mad dog.

She immidiately composed and fixed herself.  Thankfully, she is able to formulate the right words that she could use  to respond to the woman.

"My apologies. Again. I realized that I looked stupid while gawking at you." Minju replied.

"Oh yeh. So uhm your hoodie?" The woman snickers. For the nth time, Minju wants to smack herself. Out of all the things she have to apologize first, that was the first thing that came out of her own mouth. She didn't even acknowledge the woman's suggestion so that she coud bring the situation into clear waters.

"Ah yes, you can have my hoodie" Minju mentally thanks and mind for cooperating with each other. Minju takes off her hoodie but she didn't know that she wore the wro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter