Stigma

Charade

“Whoever this guy is,” Jungkook turns around. “He is restless. It’s like it’s on his agenda every week to kill V.” 

 

“It probably is,” Taehyung says as a matter of fact. He’s recalling all the times he was ambushed. The more he thinks about it, the more he doesn’t understand one of the attacks. The attack where Seokjin was with him and they had to step out of the car. 

 

It doesn’t fit with the others. “Something’s fishy about the time Seokjin and I got attacked,” Taehyung voices his thoughts. “That was the only time they didn’t want me dead.” 

 

“It’s definitely Yoongi or Jimin,” Namjoon states. “We just need to find out who has the stronger motive to kill V.” 

 

“It could be Yoongi even though he helped Taehyung,” Jungkook suggests. “But we still don’t know much about him. What about Jimin?” 

 

“No,” Taehyung shakes his head. “It can’t be. I think he’s just a sad boy, not a killer.” Jimin seems to hate V only because he believes V took Seokjin away. Surely, it wouldn’t be a motive for murder, right?

 

“What do you mean by ‘sad boy’?” Namjoon asks him, looking very confused. 

 

“Just because he and Seokjin used to be in a relationship, he wouldn’t kill me,” Taehyung tells them. 

 

“Seokjin and Jimin used to date?” Jungkook’s big doe eyes get bigger. Did Taehyung never tell them? He nods slowly. “What! How come we’re just finding out about this now?” 

 

“I-I didn’t think it was relevant . .” Taehyung trails off as he sees the open mouths of Namjoon and Jungkook. Maybe he should have told them. It just feels he’s invading Seokjin and Jimin’s privacy. 

 

Jungkook starts heading for the door while Namjoon cleans up the papers spread all over the desk. “Where are you guys going?” Taehyung asks, sensing their hurried states. 

 

“To the hospital,” Namjoon replies. He looks up at Taehyung. “We just found out what motive Jimin has to kill V.”

 

 

———————————————————

 

 

The house is silent as it’s been for the past couple of days. Seokjin can’t even watch the drama that’s playing on the t.v. He’s gotten used to V’s arms around him as he watches the drama. So without his embrace, it doesn’t feel right. 

 

Seokjin finds himself loving V more and more every day. He never thought he could love someone this much. He smiles softly, remembering the time V had told him he’ll try to become a better friend, son, and husband. 

 

He really did do as he promised. Seokjin could see how V’s gotten closer to Hoseok. He doesn’t call him Secretary Jung anymore. He plays around with Jungkook and Namjoon more. He connected with Seokjin’s parents. 

 

V seems like a dream. Almost like he’ll past when the morning comes but that won’t happen. They’re in love with each other. Why would destiny rip apart two people who truly love each other? Not to mention, they’re married. 

 

Seokjin holds out both of his hands, admiring the two rings he received from V. Their gold wedding ring twinkles up at him from his left hand. The silver ring on his right-hand smiles up at him. 

 

He doesn’t want to play favorites but he likes the silver ring more. He likes it because when V gave it to him, he confessed his love for him. Seokjin clutches his hands to his chest. He can’t wait for V to come home. He misses him so much already. 

 

As if the universe felt the yearning of his heart, the sound of the key turning in the doorknob signals V’s return. Seokjin gets up from the couch, darting to their room. He closes the door carefully, not wanting to make any noise.  

 

Back pressed against the wall behind the door, he stifles his already coming laughter. When V comes in, he’ll scare him. It feels like forever before V’s footsteps are finally behind the door. He waits until V close the door before yelling, “Boo!” 

 

The only reaction V has is laughing. Seokjin’s smile disappears and instead is a pout. V didn’t even flinch a little bit. “I miss you so much,” V says and leans his head on the wall, next to Seokjin. 

 

He seems so tired. Seokjin notices how he lets his eyes close for a minute before peeking at him. “Do you not miss me one bit?” V jokes with a toothy grin. Seokjin frowns a bit. Even though he’s exhausted, he’s still smiling for him. 

 

Seokjin cups V’s cheek and his heart do a little flip as V leans into his touch. “Of course I miss you.” He lets his fingers trace V’s jawline. “Every bit of you.” He kisses V’s cheek. 

 

When he moves away, V’s staring at him with this look in his eyes. It’s love and something else. Seokjin closes his eyes as V leans forward to connect their lips. His back is pressed against the wall as they kiss. 

 

The kiss leaves Seokjin soft, warm, and breathless. He loves how V’s lips fit so perfectly with his. Loves how V nibbles on his lips. They haven’t had an open-mouthed kiss yet. Seokjin finds himself opening his mouth. 

 

He can sense V’s surprise. He’s so careful and soft towards Seokjin. Seokjin likes that. No-he loves that. He tugs on V’s shirt slightly to tell him to continue. V continues hesitantly. Despite V’s cautions at first, the kiss soon turns hot and lengthy. 

 

Still kissing him, V leads Seokjin to the bed. Seokjin opens his eyes as their lips part to take a breather. V is breathing softly, his hair mussed. How can someone look so cute and hot at the same time? 

 

Seokjin lays down on the bed, his lips throbbing from their make-out session. The bed dips as V hovers over him. V’s fingertips trace his eyebrow, then his cheek, before lifting his chin. “Your every feature,” his fingertips touch Seokjin’s lips before going to trace his nose. “I want burn into my memory.” 

 

Seokjin can’t find any smart remark to throw at V as their eyes meet. He wants to remember V forever too. If there is such thing as reincarnation, he wants to remember V in his next life too. He wants to meet V in his next life. 

 

V kisses his lips gently and with so much love that Seokjin could feel happy tears b in the corners of his eyes. He used to think that marrying V was the worse thing that ever happened to him. Oh, how wrong he was. 

 

The kiss is scorchingly perfect. It’s full of romance and passion yet still so hard and overwhelming. Exactly like how V is. “I love you, Jin,” V says against his lips. Jin. Not a lot of people call him that. Only a couple times since he prefers being called Seokjin. However, he loves it when V calls him Jin. 

 

Seokjin pulls away, heart beating fast from all the feelings that are conquering his mind and heart. “I love you too,” he breathes out. He interlocks his and V’s hand, staring up at his lover. Seokjin feels a flush come to his face from V’s eyes. “I’m yours, V. All of me.” 

 

He turns his head, his face hot. He can’t believe how much he loves V. So much that he declared he’s his. Though his face is burning right now, he doesn’t regret it. What he said is true after all. 

 

Seokjin looks back at V as he hears V sits up. He sits up slowly, trying to look at 

V’s face to no avail. “You really love me that much?” 

 

Seokjin leans his head on V’s shoulder, “I love you even more than I can say.” 

 

V turns his head to look at Seokjin, “I don’t deserve you.” He presses a delicate kiss to Seokjin’s cheek. He smiles at Seokjin with a look in his eyes that Seokjin doesn’t recognize. However, Seokjin smiles back. 

 

 

———————————————————

 

 

Taehyung’s been trying to go to sleep for two hours now. He lost all of his exhaustion now that he’s actually in bed. He also lost it because of what happened earlier. Taehyung glances down at his chest where Seokjin’s hand is resting on, his head is resting on Taehyung’s shoulder.

 

Taehyung carefully removes Seokjin’s hand not wanting to disturb his sleep. He gets out of bed, feet touching the marble floor. Seokjin stirs in his sleep and Taehyung leans back down to peck the top of his crown. 

 

He makes his way out of their bedroom, closing the door behind him. The hallway is completely in darkness but there are too many thoughts running in his head to care to find the light switch. 

 

Pressing his hand against the wall, he arrives at the storage room. He’s only been here once and that’s when he first came here. Taehyung opens the door and enters the storage room. The moonlight shines dimly tonight but Taehyung keeps the lights off. Tonight the darkness brings him comfort and closure. 

 

Taehyung weaves through the items in the room. His hands move fast, wanting to just find what he came for. In the corner of his eyes, something gleams in the moonlight. Taehyung’s breath hitches as he pulls the item out. 

 

His fingers trace the dull, gold frame. Dust settles on his fingertips but that doesn’t bother him. Taehyung’s eyes water as he takes in the picture. They look so perfect for each other. Both have small smiles on their handsome faces. They’re looking directly at the camera. 

 

Taehyung can’t look away from V and Seokjin’s wedding photo. A beautiful tree is behind them and they’re sitting on a bench. V has an arm around Jin’s waist, their shoulders touching. 

 

‘I’m yours, V. All of me.’ A tear slips from Taehyung’s eyes. V. Not him. Not Kim Taehyung. Silent tears fall from his eyes. What is he doing? Falling in love with someone who’s already married. 

 

Falling in love with Seokjin who’s already with V. Seokjin, who never called his name before. He can’t even imagine how his name would sound like from Jin. 

 

Only V. He’s only V in Jin’s eyes. He doesn’t want to think like this. He sets the picture back. Shakily, he gets up. He wipes the tears from his face and goes over to the window, remembering one of his first moments with Jin.

 

 

 

‘You’re just like the stars. Bright, beaming, and beautiful.’ 

 

‘I would say I’m more like the moon though.’

 

‘If Seokjin’s the moon, can I be the earth?’

 

 

 

He turns away from the window, not able to look at the moon anymore. 

 

 

 

‘Stop looking at me like that,’ Seokjin says.

 

‘What’s wrong with me looking at you like this?’ Taehyung asks genuinely.

 

‘Because it looks like you’re looking at your whole world,’ Seokjin mumbles.

 

‘I see it more like you’re my moon. The moon that circles me, watching over me,’ Taehyung tells him sincerely.

 

‘You can be my earth. I’ll be your moon. Deal,’ Seokjin smiles radiantly. 

 

 

 

Taehyung falls to the ground, burying his face in his knees. ‘Why did you make me fall for you, Jin?’ His pants were getting stained with his tears. ‘Am I even allowed to love you? Or do I have to be V? Is the only way to be with you through this charade?’

 

~~~~

 

“Chairman Kim?” 

 

Taehyung blinks, coming back to reality. He sits up and smiles, “I like the first idea more than the second idea.” He turns to his notes which only has a few scribbles. Did he space out for that long? “Clean up the ending and it’ll be perfect. Keep up the good work.” 

 

“Thank you, Chairman Kim,” the team presenting bows before going back to their seats. 

 

“That’ll be all for today,” he tells the employees. “Meeting dismissed.” He checks his phone as he goes to the elevator. He has not heard from Namjoon or Jungkook since telling them about Jin and Jimin’s relationship. 

 

Namjoon doesn’t want to put too much on his plate. It frustrates him because he feels left in the dark. The elevator dings to signal his arrival. Hoseok isn’t here today due to a family emergency. 

 

Taehyung goes into his office, immediately going to the mini-fridge. He pops a cold can of coke open, gulping it down as he trudges over to his desk. Seokjin’s been on his mind all day. That’s no surprise but this time it’s not exactly positive thoughts. 

 

Taehyung finishes the soda in no time, setting it on his desk where two other empty cans are. The next couple of hours roll by and when Taehyung checks his phone, it’s the middle of the night. He has missed calls and texts from Jin. 

 

Seokjin’s probably worried sick about him so he dials Jin’s phone number. He picks up right away. “Hey, Jin~” Taehyung smiles even though he isn’t feeling it. There’s been so much work lately and Hoseok not being here makes it even more. 

 

“You’re not sleeping in the office, are you?” Seokjin asks with a neutral tone yet Taehyung could still catch the concern in his voice. 

 

“I’m not,” Taehyung says as carefree as he can. “I lost track of time. I’m on my way home right now.” Why isn’t Seokjin sleeping yet? It’s already so late and he has work tomorrow. “Go to sleep, okay? I don’t want to trouble your beauty sleep.” 

 

Seokjin makes a sound of disapproval. “Trouble is only for bad boys. You’re a good boy.” Now, a real smile spreads on Taehyung’s face. 

 

“Hm. .you seem awfully sure about that,” Taehyung says into the phone.

 

“I am sure about it. A hundred percent!” Taehyung laughs at Seokjin’s enthusiasm. “So don’t disappoint me, okay?” 

 

Taehyung likes it when they talk like this. It’s fun and he gets to see different sides of Jin. “I can’t make any promises. As of the moment though, I’m stealing your sleep so I guess I’m bad boy.” He ends the call, laughing at what he just said. 

 

He catches his smile in the mirror. It’s a genuine smile. His first genuine smile today and the cause of it is Jin. Taehyung looks away from the mirror, not being able to look at his reflection. “What am I doing?” He whispers to himself. Suddenly, he wasn’t feeling so good anymore.

 

~~~~

 

The whole week’s been a rollercoaster. Lately, he’s been down a lot. Partially because of work but mostly because of Jin. Since the night he looked at Jin and V’s wedding photo, he feels... different. 

 

Every time he and Jin are having a good time, something flashes in Taehyung’s mind to remind him of V. That’s why he finds himself avoiding Jin. He hates himself for doing it but what else is he supposed to do? 

 

How can he sit here enjoying his time with Jin when V’s lying in the hospital? Taehyung hates these thoughts but he can’t push them away. So instead, he steps away from Jin. 

 

He’s not completely depressed. He does laugh and smile when he’s spending time with Jin. But he can’t be with him for long before he’s reminded of V and then leaving. 

 

“I can’t believe you’re doing work at home,” Seokjin grumps as he wraps his arms around Taehyung from behind. It’s hard to ignore Jin because he’s been so touchy lately. 

 

“There’s nothing wrong about an adult doing work at home. They’re being smart,” he says as he continues reading over the documents in his hands. Seokjin’s quiet for a moment as if he’s going to leave. “Jin!” Taehyung yells as his chair’s abruptly turned around. The document in his hand falls to the floor. 

 

Seokjin avoids his eyes as he settles himself down on Taehyung’s lap. Taehyung’s lips go dry. “I-I need to work,” Taehyung stutters and reaches for the document on the ground but Jin grabs his hand. 

 

“Just take a little break,” Seokjin tells Taehyung. He looks away as Taehyung continues to look at him. Regardless of the bothersome thoughts he’s been having all week, Taehyung settles a hand on Seokjin’s waist. 

 

“Okay, Jinnie.” He hasn’t used that nickname in a while. It feels nice hearing it again. “What do you want to do?” 

 

“Um . .” Seokjin looks down at his hands. “I don’t know. I just want to... spend time with you.” A fond smile settles on Taehyung’s lips. In the end, Seokjin becomes all shy and awkward. 

 

“Then, let’s just stay like this?” Seokjin nods curtly, still looking everywhere but Taehyung. He wants to hang out but isn’t even sparing Taehyung a glance. “Is something wrong with my face that you won’t look at me?” 

 

Seokjin whips his head around, “No. I just . .” He looks away again. “I’m not used to this position.” Taehyung blushes. He’s not used to this either. Having Jin sit in his lap. However, he pushes his flustered state away. Well, tries to. 

 

“You’re the one who sat here . .” he mumbles. Seokjin opens his mouth to object but closes it again when nothing comes out. Taehyung bites his bottom lip as he thinks of what to do. They could play a game. Let’s see. What game should they play-

 

Taehyung’s thoughts are interrupted as Seokjin starts kissing him. One of Seokjin’s hand combs through his hair. It feels calming. Taehyung loses himself as he continues kissing Jin. 

 

When Seokjin pulls away for air, Taehyung starts peppering Seokjin’s neck with kisses. With Seokjin sitting on his lap, he gets easy access to his neck. Seokjin’s lips are shiny due to Taehyung’s saliva. His saliva. A quick wave of shyness comes over him for a second before his lips are on Seokjin’s again. 

 

If it weren’t for Seokjin’s lips, he’d be humming right now. This feels right. Their lips mold together as if they were made for each other. Taehyung’s kissed other people before but it never felt this right. 

 

Maybe it’s because he never loved them like he loves Seokjin. Love. Kissing. Jin. Taehyung’s eyes shoot open. V. 

 

Seokjin eyes are still closed as he leans forward for another kiss. Instead of meeting lips, he meets Taehyung’s cheek. Taehyung turned his head to dodge Jin’s lips. His sinful and plump lips. 

 

“What’s wrong?” Seokjin asks, his lips swollen. He did that. Taehyung did that. He made out with Seokjin, V’s husband. This isn’t right.  

 

“Nothing.” Taehyung smiles reassuringly, untrue to his real feelings, and kisses Seokjin’s hand. “Let’s go make dinner. Yeah?” Seokjin nods and gets off him. A part of him wants to pull Seokjin in for a quick kiss but another part of him thinks he’s already done too much. 

 

~~~~

 

Taehyung awakes to Seokjin cuddling him. He smiles at how adorable Seokjin looks but the smile doesn’t stay long before that uneasy feeling settles in his stomach again. 

 

He moves Seokjin off of him, feeling so hurt. ‘We’re not supposed to be together. He’s with V. Not me.’ This love that was so special and adventurous is turning painful and heart aching. Taehyung hates it but he can’t suppress it. He can’t suppress his guilt.

 

Taehyung gets up, ready to go to work. Ready to hide from Jin again. Just as his feet kissed the marble floor, he feels a pair of arms wrap around his torso. “You’re not going to say goodbye?” 

 

Taehyung tenses, hearing Jin’s words. “I didn’t want to wake you.” Seokjin hums and leans his head against Taehyung’s back. Taehyung felt agonized as Seokjin continues to hug him. How can he be enjoying this when it shouldn’t be happening?

 

“Go back to sleep. It’s still early,” Taehyung tells Seokjin. Seokjin’s arms loosen around him and he’s ready to bolt but he feels a hand caress his cheek. Seokjin turns his head to look at him. 

 

Seokjin smiles a small but true smile. Somehow, his small smile hurts Taehyung. He leans his head on Taehyung’s shoulder. “I feel like I never knew you until the past couple of months. Now, that I know you, I wished we were like this from the beginning. Just happy and in love,” he looks up at Taehyung. “I love you, V.” 

 

Taehyung has to use all the willpower in him to not express how he’s feeling. Sadness, sorrow, heartbreak, heartache. He feels like his heart just shattered. Like glass, loud, and into many broken pieces. 

 

“I love you too,” Taehyung smiles, holding his tears back. Seokjin presses a shy and chaste kiss to his lips. 

 

As Seokjin gets back in bed, Taehyung gets ready for work. He’s knee-deep in his guilt-filled thoughts as he goes to work. Would Jin still love him if he’s not V? Won’t Jin hate him if he finds out he deceived him?

 

His heavy heart stays with him all day at the office. Even with the big project he’s working on, his mind can’t stray far from Jin. 

 

 

 

‘I’ve been hiding it.’

 

‘Now I can’t endure it anymore.’ 

 

‘Why couldn’t I say it then.’ 

 

‘I have been hurting anyway.’ 

 

‘Really, I won’t be able to endure it.’ 

 

 

 

Taehyung feels tears come to his eyes as he remembers Seokjin’s smile at him. A smile that isn’t his. Seokjin cares about him so much. Loves him so much. ‘A flower that’s blooming so beautifully but not for me.’

 

 

 

‘Deeper. Deeper, the wound just gets deeper.’

 

‘Like pieces of broken glass that I can’t reverse.’ 

 

‘Deeper. It’s just the heart that hurts every day.’ 

 

 

 

Taehyung sobs quietly even though no one else is here to hear or see him. 

 

~~~~

 

After another very long day of work, Taehyung finally arrives home. A headache throbs against his forehead angrily while his stomach whines like a child. He keeps trying to escape from Jin and his guilt by going to work. However, that’s not working very well anymore. 

 

“V,” he hears Seokjin call as he gets to the door. “You look so pale,” Seokjin comes to his side. He presses a hand to Taehyung’s forehead. “Are you sick?” Taehyung’s eyes fall onto Seokjin’s knitted brows. 

 

Seokjin shouldn’t be looking at him like this. He shouldn’t be receiving Seokjin’s kindness, worries, and love. V should receive them. Not him. “I’m fine,” Taehyung steps away from Jin. 

 

He walks past Jin, deciding that he wants to sleep. However, Seokjin turns him around. “Is everything alright?” Taehyung winces at the bright lights that shine into his eyes. A weird feeling is bubbling in his stomach and he feels like throwing up. 

 

“You’ve been so exhausted lately. . .” Taehyung doesn’t catch the rest of Seokjin’s words before he’s falling into his arms, unconscious. 

 

 

 

Seokjin smiles a bit but, the smile disappears as he seems to think. His expression turns into despair. “As much as I want to feel your warmth again, I really can’t.” He takes a shaky breath. “I’m getting married to a... prince.” 

 

“I know that,” Taehyung croaks out. “That’s why I’m asking to spend one last night with you, Seokjin.” He urges the tears to come, b at the edge of his eyes.

 

“V . .” Seokjin looks equally as heartbroken. 

 

“Though I am just a knight and you, a beautiful, bright, lovely prince.” He smiles a broken-hearted smile. “I can’t help but, love you.” Seokjin’s eyes are wide as Taehyung looks at him. “I love you, Kim Seokjin with all my heart.” His eyes are teary now.

 

 

Taehyung smiles at the memory. He was so happy then. So in love. Young love. Small, flickering, and harmless. It’s funny. How that act that they did kind of reflects what’s happening now. 

 

Seokjin’s the prince who’s engaged to another prince, V. Both come of high status, perfectly suited for each other. The foolish knight is Taehyung who despite Seokjin’s status, still fell in love with him. Who can’t help but love Jin. 

 

What should he do? What will he do? 

 

~~~~

 

Taehyung opens his eyes to V and Jin’s room. The curtains are drawn, letting bright sunshine come in. Taehyung looks down at his clothes which isn’t the black suit he wore to work but V’s silky black pajamas. 

 

The memory of him falling into Jin’s arms resurfaces, along with the stigma he’s been carrying for the past two weeks. Taehyung rubs his forehead, the headache is not as annoying but still bothersome. 

 

He grabs the cup of water on the nightstand, gulping it down. His eyes fall on the many piles of work on his desk. The big project! How long has it been since he’s been out? 

 

Taehyung scrambles out of bed, rushing over to the desk. His phone is nowhere to be found but there’s an unfamiliar manila envelope placed with the rest of the files he brought home. Was it always there or did it come when he was out? 

 

Taehyung opens the manila envelope. The contents inside slide out as if waiting for him. Photos. One photo slides off the desk, falling to the floor. Taehyung picks up one of the photos on the desk. 

 

It’s a photo of V. He picks up another one. Another photo of V. All of these pictures are of V. They aren’t normal pictures though. It looks like pictures a stalker would take. V’s oblivious to the camera, not once glancing at it. 

 

Taehyung’s hands start shaking as he looks at the photo that fell earlier. It’s the only photo that isn’t of V. It’s of him and Jin. 

 

Taehyung picks up the photo, a chill runs down his spine. It’s him and Seokjin at the park, laughing. Lost in their moment. Knowing that someone else was with them leaves an unsettling feeling in Taehyung’s stomach. 

 

It feels like there’s something on his fingers. He turns the photo around. Taehyung’s eyes widen and his blood runs cold. In black ink, it reads, 

 

“The shadow like me.”