Better

Charade

“They wanted me alive,” Taehyung goes over to the window, moving the curtain. There’s a new, soft, and white layer of snow. He had just finished telling Namjoon and Jungkook what happened. 

 

“That’s odd. Before, they just tried to kill you on the spot,” Jungkook notes. “I wonder what changed their minds.” Taehyung wonders as well. He just hopes that if something like this happens again, Seokjin won’t be there. 

 

“How’s Seokjin?” Namjoon asks. “Both of you aren’t seriously hurt, right?” 

 

“No,” Taehyung turns around. “Seokjin’s pretty good at fighting. If he weren’t there, I might not be here.” He smiles cheekily at them to break the seriousness. “I should get going now. See ya!” He waves at them both before heading for the door. 

 

“Tae,” he stops as hears Jungkook’s voice.

 

“Be careful,” Namjoon finishes. 

 

Taehyung turns his head, “I’ll try.” 

 

~~~~

 

His birthday’s coming up. December thirtieth. On his birthday is when he and Seokjin are supposed to go to Seokjin’s parents' house for New Year’s. Since it’s his birthday, he wants to do something with Jin. Jin won’t know it’s his birthday but that’s fine with him. 

 

Taehyung’s bottom lip protrudes more and more as he tries to come up with what to do. It’s hard to plan anything because they need to get to Seokjin’s parents’ house on New Year’s Eve. That doesn’t leave him much time to do anything with Seokjin. 

 

“What are you thinking of?” Seokjin plops down beside him. They’re in the living room about to watch a movie. He hands Taehyung the bowl of chips, grabbing the remote, and turning on the t.v. 

 

“You.” Technically, he isn’t lying. 

 

Seokjin looks taken aback, “Well, stop thinking about me. I need some privacy too.” 

 

Taehyung laughs heartily. “How can you say that when,” he deepens his voice. “You think of me all the time too.” He probably assumed right because the tips of Seokjin’s ears turn pink. 

 

“Y-yeah right!” Seokjin turns to Taehyung with a small scowl. They find a movie shortly, turning off the lights and snuggling into the sofa. Taehyung didn’t even notice when their hands find their way to each other. 

 

He’s holding Seokjin’s left hand with his right. Only now, does he pay much mind to the ring on Seokjin’s ring finger. Seokjin and V’s wedding rings. He looks at his left hand which has V’s matching ring. A simple gold band with five small diamonds on the edge. 

 

He wonders how they got these rings. Did V pick them out by himself or did they pick it out together? Or did the parents choose it? 

 

Taehyung moves his fingers, catching a glimpse of the small diamonds like stars. Though the ring is pretty and is currently on him, he feels like it doesn’t match him. First off, it’s V’s ring. Secondly, gold and diamonds are too luxurious for him. 

 

“Hey, Jin.” Seokjin hums in response, eyes on the movie. “Do you remember our wedding?” V and Seokjin’s wedding. 

 

Seokjin stops munching on the chips. “Yeah. What about it?” 

 

Taehyung wants to know what happened. “Can you tell me about it?” He asks in a gentle voice. “I want to know how it was like for you.” 

 

“Do you?” Seokjin peers over at him. 

 

Taehyung nods, squeezing Seokjin’s hand lightly. “I want to.” 

 

 

****

 

 

“Look at you. All dressed up and handsome for V,” Seokjin’s mom gushes. Seokjin’s reaction stares back at him, looking like a whole different person. 

 

V. His soon-to-be husband, V. Seokjin’s only met V when they shot the wedding photos. That'll be the second time they see each other. The second time they see each other, they’ll be married. 

 

He found the corners of his lips turn upwards, remembering V’s small smile at him in the parking lot. Seokjin doesn’t know what that’s supposed to mean. But, it changed his view on this marriage. 

 

Maybe V won’t be as bad as he thought. Maybe V will love him a lot. Maybe he’ll even love V back. “V’s the luckiest man alive,” V’s mom says as she enters the room. Seokjin offers a polite smile. “Are we ready?” 

 

“I’m ready.” Seokjin’s mom looks over at Seokjin. “Are you ready, Seokjin?” 

 

Seokjin nods and gets up. “As ready as I’ll ever be.” Before he knows it, he’s walking down the aisle with his dad, everyone’s eyes on him. Including V’s. 

 

They arrive at the altar. V takes both of Seokjin’s hands into his own as they listen to the marriage officiant. Seokjin can’t help but stare. After all, it’s his soon-to-be husband he’s looking at. 

 

V has a soft smile on his lips the whole time, eyes on the marriage officiant. Occasionally, glancing over at Seokjin who would look away. This continues until V says, “I do.” He’s smiling at Seokjin. It is just an underestimation to just call him handsome. 

 

“I do,” Seokjin breathes out. V doesn’t wait for the marriage officiant to say the magic words and snakes an arm around Seokjin’s waist. He pulls Seokjin to him and presses a quick kiss to his lips. 

 

The audience cheers as they pull away, V’s arm still around Seokjin’s waist. Seokjin looks down at his left hand. The coolness of the ring, an odd sensation to his finger. 

 

For the rest of the wedding, they’re glued to each other. Yet, not a word was spoken unless someone approaches them which lots of guests do. V covers most of them, kind smile, and radiating like he does like the wedding. 

 

As another guest walks away, V leans closer to Seokjin. “Are you tired?” Seokjin’s taken aback by the question. He is indeed tired but, wouldn’t it be rude to admit to that. 

 

“Do I look tired?” Seokjin glance at V. He quickly glances away seeing how intimidating V’s eyes are. 

 

V drops his arm that’s been glued around Seokjin’s waist. “Yes and I don’t want you to be.” V glance at the empty table reserved for them. “Let’s sit down,” his eyes are warm as he says that.

 

Seokjin nods and follows V to the table. Once seated, V scoots his chair real close to Seokjin so that their shoulders are touching. “Do you want to eat anything? You probably haven’t eaten anything since breakfast,” V says in a gentle voice. 

 

“Water is fine,” Seokjin says meekly. He feels weird having V’s attention like this. It’s not a bad feeling though. 

 

V smiles at him, “I think you need more than just water. I’ll go get some refreshments.” He gets up, heading to the snack table. 

 

Seokjin watches his descending back. ‘Maybe V won’t be that bad,’ he finds himself thinking. 

 

~~~~

 

Seokjin’s eyes are big and curious as he looks around the house he’ll be living in for the rest of his life, supposedly. V’s quick ahead of him, heading up the stairs with swift steps. Seokjin struggles as he lugs his suitcase behind him. 

 

V arrives in a room which has two doors. He opens one and goes in, leaving a very confused Seokjin to just stand in the hallway. Should he go in? Is this their bedroom?

 

V’s head peeks out. “How long will you be standing there?” Seokjin feels a flush come to his face. He pushes it away though, as V sighs and grabs his suitcase. “Do I have to help you with everything?” 

 

Seokjin’s taken aback by the sudden change in his tone. At the wedding, he was so gentle and warm. Seokjin disregards the coiling in his stomach. ‘He’s just tired,’ he tells himself. 

 

Seokjin enters the room, eyes widening at the chandelier. The big king bed has red petals on it. He turns to V who’s taking off his blazer. “Let me help you,” Seokjin offers. He pulls V’s blazer off, feeling V’s eyes on him. 

 

As Seokjin’s putting the blazer away, V goes into the closet. He changes into a pair of silky black pajamas. Seokjin’s eyes widen at the sight. Just before he was in all white. Now, he’s in all black. He can work all colors.

 

V goes into the covers, ignoring Seokjin completely. ‘He’s just tired,’ Seokjin tells himself. He takes his pajamas out of his suitcase, changing into it in the bathroom. He turns the lights off as he slips into the covers with V. 

 

As Seokjin’s just getting comfortable V says, “I like to have my space.” Space? Seokjin looks between him and V. He was kind of closed to V but, aren’t they husbands? 

 

“But,” Seokjin his dry lips. “We’re married.” 

 

V sits up, “And?” 

 

“We’re supposed to . .” Seokjin stops, not wanting his voice to sound shaky. 

 

“Love each other,” V finishes for him. Seokjin gives a slow nod. “Well,” V stands up. “I guess we’ll have to work our way there.” Despite his words that sound almost encouraging, he makes a beeline to the door. 

 

“V,” Seokjin calls out. “Where are you going?” The door shuts loudly as a response to him. He left. He left Seokjin all alone. It doesn’t make sense. He was so nice at the wedding. Yet, when they’re all alone. No one else around, V treats him like this. 

 

Seokjin shakes his head. ‘V’s just tired. He’s just drained out from today.’ Despite chanting that to himself as he falls asleep, Seokjin couldn’t help but feel the aching in his heart. 

 

 

****

 

 

Taehyung wants to apologize but it wasn’t him who did that. It was V. Instead, he pulls Seokjin to his chest. He leans his head on Seokjin’s head, thinking of what to say but coming up with nothing. 

 

They stay like that, feeling each other’s warmth. The movie continues playing but it seems like they both weren’t even watching anymore. Once the credits start rolling, Seokjin speaks. “Let’s go to bed.” 

 

Taehyung didn’t want to stop holding Seokjin but he nods and they make their way up the stairs. They both get in bed, though not an ounce of sleep in their minds. “Did I upset you?” Seokjin asks quietly as if scared he did. 

 

“No,” Taehyung scoots closer to Seokjin. “I’m upset at myself.” He holds Seokjin’s hand under the blanket. “I let you feel sad.” He can’t believe that on Jin’s wedding night, he felt like that. Wedding nights are supposed to be romantic, memorable, and spent with your loved one. 

 

“You’re not making me sad now.” Seokjin snuggles into his chest. “You’re with me now and that’s all that matters.” 

 

Seokjin’s such an angel. He’s so lucky to have met Seokjin in this lifetime. Taehyung pulls Seokjin closer, if possible. 

 

~~~~

 

“I won’t be gone long. Just a couple days,” Taehyung pats the squirrel who he named Nicholas. He gives another blackberry to Nicholas. “You’re so cute when you eat,” Taehyung smiles as the squirrel munches on the berry with two full cheeks. 

 

He met the tree squirrel just this week. He thought all squirrels hibernate but not Nicholas. Due to the winter though, he doesn’t have many resources to food. Nicholas finishes the berry, looking up at Taehyung for more. 

 

Taehyung shows Nicholas his bare hands. “I don’t have anymore. I’ll have someone come to feed you tomorrow and the next day, then the day after that. Just until I come back.” The squirrel scurries onto Taehyung’s hand, earning a smile from Taehyung. 

 

Taehyung pets Nicholas’ head, a soft smile on his face. He should get an official pet. Maybe a dog. “Guess what?” Taehyung asks the squirrel who just tilt his head in response. “It’s my birthday today.” 

 

That means he and Seokjin will be on their way to Seokjin’s parents’ house today. He already has his suitcase in the car, ready to go. Seokjin’s still doing something. That’s why he’s spending his last minutes before they go with Nicholas. 

 

The squirrel squeaks and scampers off Taehyung’s hand, back into his nest in the leafless tree. “So, he’s still scared of me.” 

 

Taehyung turns, looking at the newcomer. “You are a little scary,” Taehyung jokes.

 

“Scary?” Seokjin’s shoulders slump. “How? I’m the epitome of friendliness.” Taehyung smiles at his pouted lips. 

 

“Well, I’m an epitome of a Disney prince.” He shrugs and leans against the tree. “Maybe that’s why animals like me so much.” 

 

Seokjin rolls his eyes but has a smile on his lips. “Let’s get going, Prince.” He turns around and skips towards the car. 

 

Taehyung smiles and turns back to the tree. “Bye, Nicholas.” He follows Seokjin’s lead, heading to the car. They get into the car, the servants lined up to bid them goodbye. “Remember to feed Nicholas every day.” 

 

“Yes, Sir,” they all answer, familiar to the squirrel their boss has taken a liking to. 

 

“I guess that’s all. Just take care of yourself and the house. Bye-bye!” He waves and they all wave back. Taehyung closes his window and drives out of the driveway. 

 

“Do you mind if I put on music?” Seokjin asks from the passenger seat. 

 

“Not at all,” Taehyung replies. He can barely sit still. He’s so excited about today. It’s late morning and they’ll have to spend the night in a hotel. Then the next day, arriving at Seokjin’s parents’ house. That’s what Seokjin thinks. 

 

What Taehyung has planned is that instead of sleeping in a hotel, they’ll be sleeping in a vacation house. He rented it himself with his own money so it’s not that grand but, it’s still really nice. 

 

He even did all the math so that they would arrive there in the late afternoon. The reason he’s doing this is that it’s his birthday. His actual birthday. Not V’s birthday so Seokjin won’t know it but that’s fine with him.

 

Taehyung gasps, “I listened to this song all the time when I was in high school.” 

 

“Me too! So much that I still remember the lyrics despite not listening to it much anymore.” Seokjin sings along to the lyrics and Taehyung join in as well. Jin burst into giggles as Taehyung messes up the lyrics. The car ride’s loud with music and their singing as Taehyung continues driving. 

 

They arrive at the vacation house with Seokjin napping soundly. It’s the late afternoon just like Taehyung predicted. He gets out of the car, getting his and Jin’s suitcases. 

 

“Seokjin,” he shakes Seokjin’s shoulder lightly. “Jin~” 

 

Seokjin yawns and lifts his head. “We’re at the hotel already.” He rubs his eyes, looking around. “This isn’t the hotel . .” 

 

Taehyung grins sheepishly, “Yeah, it isn’t. I rented this place.” He helps Seokjin out of the car who is now fully awake, eyeing the whole place. The house stands alone, with no other houses nearby. The nearest houses would be at the minimum, forty minutes away if you’re driving. 

 

“Since it is about to be New Year’s, I thought this would be better than a hotel. I got firecrackers so we can have our light show,” he tells Seokjin excitedly. 

 

Seokjin turns to him, “Why didn’t you tell me?” 

 

They walk up to the house and Taehyung takes the key out. “I wanted to surprise you,” he says sweetly. 

 

Seokjin smiles, “Well, you succeeded.” They enter the house and Seokjin turns on the lights. “This is wonderful.” It is. Taehyung closes the door behind him. It doesn’t give you the vibes of a normal house but isn’t too extra. Just right. 

 

The house has a kitchen, living room, one-bedroom, and one bathroom. Taehyung sets the suitcases down, going over to the slide doors. Seokjin comes to his side. The house is facing the lake which is currently frozen. “Wow,” Taehyung breathes out. “We should’ve brought some skates.” 

 

~~~~

 

‘It’s ringing again, that sound

A crack again on this frozen lake

I dumped myself into the lake

I buried my voice for you’ 

 

Taehyung twirls the pen in his hand, staring at the words he wrote. He looks up, staring at the frozen lake. 

 

‘Over the winter lake, I was thrown

A thick ice has formed atop

A winter lake on which I was thrown away

A thick ice has formed

In the dream I shortly went into

My agonizing phantom pain is still the same’

 

Taehyung stares at the words, biting his bottom lip. “What are you doing?” Seokjin comes out with a plate of food. Taehyung had someone come to the house to drop off food before he and Seokjin arrived. 

 

“Poetry.” At least that’s what he thinks he’s doing. 

 

“Poetry. Hmm. .” Seokjin starts putting the meat on the grill. “Since when were you a poet?” 

 

Taehyung comes over to him, abandoning his notepad. He wraps his arms around Seokjin’s waist, resting his chin on Seokjin’s shoulder. “Since I met you,” he presses his cheek against Seokjin’s. “The best food is Seokjin’s food. Seokjin always leaves me in a good mood.” 

 

Seokjin laughs, “You sound more like a wannabe rapper.” 

 

“I’m your wannabe rapper,” Taehyung smiles and pecks Seokjin’s cheek. 

 

Seokjin smiles shyly, avoiding Taehyung’s eyes and focusing on grilling the meat. “Well, the best food won’t mine if you don’t stop bothering me.” 

 

Taehyung tightens his hold around Jin, not wanting to let go. “Even if your food’s burnt or raw, I’ll still like it because you made it for me.” 

 

“Did you also forget I’ll be eating this?” Seokjin says it like a statement more than a question. 

 

Taehyung laughs. “Do you have something for me to help with?” He deepens his voice, “Or would you rather just have me hold you like this?” 

 

He can’t tell if Seokjin’s blushing because of the fire but Seokjin turns his head. “Start bringing out the drinks and plates,” he scolds. 

 

“Yes, Jin~” Taehyung lets go of Seokjin and heads inside. He takes a couple of plates, drinks, and two blankets. Outside, he lays one of the blankets down. Then he puts the drinks and plates on it. It’ll be like a picnic. 

 

He continues doing small tasks that Seokjin asks of him. Soon the food is laid out upon them. As they eat, the sun starts to set. They clean up the food and Taehyung takes out the firecrackers. 

 

“Tada!” Taehyung hands Seokjin a sparkler stick. He lights one for himself. 

 

“I’ve never done this before,” Seokjin says, immersed in the sparkling of the firecracker. “Do I just hold it?” 

 

Taehyung smiles at his confusion. “You move it around.” He moves his sparkler stick around in the air. Seokjin follows his lead. Taehyung turns to Seokjin who’s eyes are sparkling like the firecracker. 

 

“It’s so pretty~” Seokjin waves the stick. 

 

“I know right.” Taehyung smiles as Seokjin continues to be in awe of the firecracker. “Really pretty.” 

 

They play around with some other firecrackers until it gets colder. Now, they’re cuddling and sharing a blanket. Seokjin’s between Taehyung’s legs, leaning against his chest. “There is not a single star in this sky,” Seokjin says disappointed. 

 

Taehyung looks up at the black sky. It’s probably going to snow soon. “I don’t need the stars.” He takes Seokjin’s right hand in his own. “I already have you,” Taehyung tells him, voice laced with love. This is it. He’s gonna do it. 

 

His heart’s racing as he reaches for his pocket. He takes out a ring. It’s silver and has a twist in the middle. Simple but, meaning so much. He slips it on Seokjin’s ring finger on his right hand. 

 

He buries his face into Seokjin’s shoulder, nervous that he may not like it. “I know it’s not much but I want you to know that this ring I’m giving you is because I want to. Not because of anyone else. Not because someone told me to do it. Only because my heart told me to do it.” Taehyung closes his eyes. “I love you, Jin.” 

 

He did it. He finally told Seokjin he loves him. Seokjin turns around, so to face Taehyung. For a second, he just stares at Taehyung. “You do?” Seokjin asks meekly. 

 

“With all my heart,” Taehyung looks down and connects their hands. “You make my heart beat like crazy.” He peers up at Jin. “You’re the only one who can control it.” 

 

Seokjin’s eyes flicker between him and the ground. Slowly, he comes closer to Taehyung. He rests his hand on top of Taehyung’s heart. Taehyung could feel his heartbeat beat even faster. He blushes, knowing Seokjin’s feeling the beat of his heart. 

 

Seokjin looks up. Before Taehyung could register it, Seokjin’s lips are on his. Taehyung kisses him back, cupping Jin’s cheek. Seokjin pulls away, “I love you too.” He puts his hand on top of Taehyung’s hand that’s caressing his cheek. 

 

“I thought you didn’t love me. I thought you were just being a good husband like you promised and I was just overthinking-“ Taehyung interrupts him by kissing him. 

 

Jin loves him. Seokjin loves him. He tilts his head, deepening their kiss. The kiss is blindly sweet. “I love you,” Taehyung says between their kiss. “A lot.” He pecks both of Seokjin’s cheek, then his forehead, and finally his lips. 

 

He feels so happy. More in love as Seokjin smiles just for him. “I’m like this,” Taehyung puts Seokjin’s hand on top of his heart. “Because of you, Jin. I love you, Seokjin,” he declares once again. Seokjin turns his head down, not looking Taehyung in the eyes. “Jin?” Taehyung asks worriedly. 

 

“You’re making me feel weird,” Seokjin peeks up at him. “I feel like I’m straight out of a romance novel.” 

 

Taehyung grins and rests his forehead on Jin’s. “You are and I’m the writer.” He presses a bold and innocent kiss to Seokjin’s lips. 

 

~~~~

 

“You have very nice folding skills, V.” 

 

Taehyung looks up, a pleased smile plastered on his face. “Thank you, Mrs. Kim.” He looks down at his folded dumplings. All of which is very cute and he can’t wait to eat them. 

 

“You learn fast. It took Seokjin years to master the art of dumpling folding,” Mrs. Kim tells him. He giggles, finishing another dumpling. It’s hard to imagine Seokjin not always being good at cooking. 

 

“Hello~ I’m right here,” Seokjin waves his flour-covered hand. Taehyung and Mrs. Kim both laugh. He pouts, “Did you both forget I own a very successful restaurant?” 

 

Taehyung turns to him, “I would never forget about my five stars Michelin chef.” He quickly turns to Seokjin’s mom. “What else did he at doing?” A sigh of disbelief leaves Seokjin’s lips, causing Taehyung and Mrs. Kim to laugh more.

 

They finish folding the dumpling. As Seokjin’s mother handles the rest of the cooking, Seokjin and Taehyung change into fancier clothes. Taehyung buttons all the buttons on his dark blue dress shirt, tucking it in as the last step. He wants to look crisp and mannered. 

 

Some of Jin’s relatives will be coming over and some of them have never met V yet. He also wants to leave a good impression on Jin’s dad who he met only for a short time upon their arrival. 

 

Taehyung grins at Jin who steps out of the bathroom sporting a light blue dress shirt. Light colors accentuate his angelic features even more. Taehyung goes to his side, arms wrapping around his waist. “You look so handsome,” he presses a kiss to his forehead. “As always.”

 

Seokjin smiles at him lovingly. “So do you.” Taehyung leans forward to kiss Seokjin who meets him in the middle. It’s gentle and feathering. Taehyung wants to stay in this moment forever. However, a knock on the door interrupts them. 

 

Seokjin pulls away, turning to the door. “Who is it?” He asks, still in Taehyung’s hold. 

 

“It’s Daehyun.” Taehyung can’t help himself as he pecks Jin’s lips. Jin blushes a pretty pink and attempts to push Taehyung away but Taehyung presses a brief and chaste kiss to his lips. “The chefs request for another one of your recipes.” 

 

Seokjin’s hands press against Taehyung’s chest to stop him from kissing him more. Taehyung smirks mischievously as he sneaks a kiss on Seokjin’s cheek. “W-why do they need another recipe?” Seokjin stutters, dodging Taehyung’s lips. 

 

“They feel like there should be another dessert,” Daehyun tells him. Seokjin pinches Taehyung’s arm causing Taehyung to squeak in pain. It’s louder than both of them expected. “Is something wrong, Seokjin-ssi?” Daehyun asks worriedly from the other side of the door. 

 

“Nothing!” Seokjin flashes a victorious grin at Taehyung. “Just a little bug. Nothing too big that I can’t handle!” Taehyung rubs his arm, eyes narrowing at Seokjin. “I’ll be down in a bit.” 

 

They hear Daehyun’s retreating footsteps. “If you’ll excuse me, I have somewhere to be,” Seokjin tells Taehyung smugly. He turns to the door but before he can take another step, Taehyung captures him in a back hug. “V,” Seokjin hisses. “I need to go.” 

 

“I know. I know. I just want to hug you before you go,” Taehyung says gently, his voice a calm melody. Seokjin stops fighting him, leaning into his touch. Taehyung turns his head, lips by Seokjin’s ear. “Also, I’m nothing like a little bug.” He bursts into laughter as Seokjin pushes him away, flustered. 

 

~~~~

 

“No, thank you,” Taehyung declines the cup of beer being handed to him. 

 

“Bro, you aren’t going to drink?” Seokjin’s cousin asks, disbelief written all over his face. Taehyung smiles sheepishly and shakes his head. “But it’s New Year’s Eve.” 

 

“I’m aware of the date. I just don’t feel like drinking,” Taehyung shrugs. Though, he’s never up for drinking. So when he does, it’s because something’s bothering him. 

 

He excuses himself and goes over to Seokjin’s dad who is talking with a guy around Taehyung’s age. “Hey, Mr. Kim,” he smiles politely. A part of him is shaking from nerves but a greater part of him wants to know Seokjin’s dad more. 

 

Mr. Kim nods in acknowledgment. “You must be V,” the guy Mr. Kim was talking to says. He smiles widely, “I’m Yook Sungjae.” 

 

Taehyung shakes his hand. “Nice to meet you.” He looks between Mr. Kim and Sungjae. “I didn’t interrupt anything, did I?” 

 

“Oh, Uncle was just talking to me about how he misses playing the saxophone,” Sungjae tells Taehyung. Taehyung’s surprised about that. From afar, it looked like they were talking about something more serious. He’s also surprised at Sungjae’s term ‘Uncle.’ 

 

“I played the saxophone too,” Taehyung chirps.

 

“You do?” Mr. Kim raises a brow. Taehyung nods eagerly, reminiscing his old days as a saxophonist. The conversation between Mr. Kim, Sungjae, and Taehyung go on for a while.

 

“In the end, I won Seokjin’s mom over,” Mr. Kim finishes his storytelling about how he got with Mrs. Kim. Sungjae and Taehyung both double over in laughter. Mr. Kim was quite a playboy. 

 

“Now, I understand why everyone chases Seokjin. He got the genes from his dad,” Sungjae says, laughing. Sungjae’s Seokjin’s cousin from his mom’s side. He’s Taehyung’s age. 

 

“It’s almost midnight,” Taehyung notices. He hasn’t been with Seokjin the whole night “I should go find Jin,” he tells them. 

 

“Of course,” Mr. Kim smiles at him. Taehyung waves at Sungjae before leaving. He feels better, like a weight lifted off his shoulders. Seokjin’s dad seems to be more casual with him. He also got to befriend one of Seokjin’s cousin. 

 

Everyone’s starting to go out to the Kims’ backyard where there shall be a light show. He goes out, weaving through the crowd in hopes of finding Jin. “Are you looking for Seokjin?” Mrs. Kim asks him. 

 

“Yes, I want to be with him when the clock strikes twelve,” he tells Seokjin’s mom who smiles at him lovingly. 

 

“I think he went upstairs,” she tells him. He thanks her before going back to the house. The house is mostly empty now since everyone’s gathered outside. He sprints up the stairs. 

 

He goes to their room, finding Seokjin coming out of the bathroom that’s connected. “I was looking for you everywhere,” Taehyung rushes to his side. “Let’s go. The fireworks will be starting soon.” He takes Seokjin’s hand and leads them out of the room. 

 

Yet, as he heads for the stairs, Seokjin pulls him back. “Let’s go somewhere else. Somewhere with a better view.” Seokjin leads him down the hallway, opposite the stairs. They arrive at another set of stairs, which Seokjin confidently goes up. 

 

Taehyung’s curious about where they’re going but stays silent. They enter a room that has a white piano and a couple of bookshelves. At the end of the room is a pair of French doors. 

 

Seokjin opens the French doors, letting the cold air in. They step out onto the balcony which faces the backyard where the fireworks are to be. Taehyung peeks down where everybody else is. “Is this fine with you?” 

 

Taehyung grins widely, “Of course, it is.” He didn’t think Jin would take him somewhere else where there would only be the two of them. 

 

“Ten! Nine!” They both jump at the countdown. “Eight! Seven!” Taehyung interlocks his fingers with Seokjin’s, counting with the crowd. “Six! Five!” Taehyung glances at Seokjin, who’s smiling and counting down. “Four! Three!” 

 

“I love you, Jin,” Taehyung says, his voice quiet compared to the crowd below him. 

 

Yet, Seokjin catches it and turns his head to look at Taehyung. “Two! One!” Taehyung’s staring back at him, his heart beating a happy tune. The year didn’t start so great but meeting Seokjin makes up for it. 

 

“Happy New Year!” The first firework shoots up into the sky. Yet, Taehyung doesn’t even get to see how it looks like before he captures Seokjin’s lips with his own. Seokjin’s arms wrap around his neck, pulling him closer. 

 

Taehyung’s hands rest on Seokjin’s waist, feeling him kiss him back. He’s missing the fireworks which he was so excited about but this, this is better. “I love you too,” Seokjin says against his lips. 

 

Taehyung hums happily and connects their lips again. The kiss is more passionate than their other kisses, sending a fluttery feeling to the depth of Taehyung’s stomach. 

 

In a swift move, Taehyung turns Seokjin around so that they would be facing the fireworks. “As much as I want to keep kissing you, I want to see the fireworks with you,” Taehyung rests his chin against Seokjin’s shoulder, hugging him from behind. This is probably his favorite position with Jin. 

 

Seokjin laughs, getting a kiss on the cheek from Taehyung who’s unable to hold himself back. They watch the fireworks like that. Taehyung holding Seokjin close to him. This is better than anything Taehyung can ask for.