Who You- Part 2 (Chapter 14)

‘Wayo’ = Why
Please log in to read the full chapter

“You’re both aware that there’s a camera in that room. And even if there's none, it is wrong." A woman sat at end of a long table looked at the two girls sitting opposite each other. “I expect to hear progress and not the news of you girls fighting like hoodlums. This is very unacceptable and I’m very disappointed especially on you Soohyun.” She rubbed her forehead, preventing herself from lashing out at these celebrities for almost killing each other yesterday.

The young girls feeling awful and not knowing where to put themselves, hung their heads low. The call from their boss got them twisted. They wanted to leave their deeds in the past and move on. After all, that altercation between them still cuts just as deep and making amends seemed impossible. But muted video of them fighting reached the top and the management cannot ignore it

“Did you both think about the damage you could’ve done? Not to mention hurting each other badly.” The influential woman continued on, but her frustration met their guilt-ridden faces. She glanced at the leader of the group and heaved a sigh because the girl is not reacting nor defending herself. The CEO turned her attention to the other girl and saw the latter fiddling with her hands, almost in tears. “Anyways, I have here a contract that will give Lisa the full copy right of the songs you wrote for her. Meaning all of the earnings from those songs would be given to the singer.”

“But ma’am...” Blackpink’s main dancer raised her head in objection but the woman has dismissed her, so she stole a glance at the group’s leader. After having that conversation with Jisoo and Jennie, Lisa frowned to know that this is her fault.

Soohyun just run her hands through her hair and shrugged her shoulders. “Fine. Where do I sign?”

“Soohyun” Lisa whispered and locked a gaze with her but the CEO handed the folder containing the contract to Soohyun. After going through the pages, Soohyun signed her work away and closed that folder.

“Can I be excuse?” The iconic leader stare at the CEO, who was as stunned as Lisa because it was the quickest discussion she had with the celebrity. The woman dipped her head in response and straightaway Soohyun stood up.

“Soohyun, you understand why I’m doing this?” The CEO felt dreadful for taking the reward of the girl’s hard work, but a repercussion must be made.

“Yes ma’am, have a great day.” Soohyun bowed and left the room without even saying a word to Lisa.

“Such a shame.” The CEO kept exhaling noisily for being frazzled by this. “How about you Lisa?” She addressed the girl who was left in shock.

“Ma’am?” Lisa uttered still stupefied by the leader’s actions.

“We cannot lose Soohyun because of this.” Ms. Hwang, the CEO, strongly said and Lisa understood what it means. Choi Soohyun is far valuable because of her ability to produce great songs. If the CEO would choose who to kick out between them, it won’t be Soohyun. But that’s where she’s wrong. Her boss leaned forward and directly looked into her eyes. “and it is in your best interest to treat her right. Do you know why?"

Lisa without any clue, said "No ma'am."

"Because Ms. Manoban she's family like you. Soohyun insists to hold off her own career till all of you have a solid solo career.” Ms Hwang stated, but she is not finished yet. “If she leaves the group or YG for that matter, BigHit, JYP and SM entertainment will not hesitate to sign her up and that will be tough for your group to recover from.”

At the same time at YG building’s private carpark

Yesterday’s incident brings upon a lot of weight shifting, fidgeting, crossing arms and avoiding eye contact because three girls look out for Lisa and Soohyun, who were summoned by the company’s top executive. There was a silence and uncertainty of what to say next.

“Where is she going?” Rosé whispered to Jennie and pointed at their leader who just walk pass them and hopped inside the van parked in front of them. Blackpink’s leader was followed by Lisa calling after her. The three girls witnessed their leader slammed the vehicle’s door, preventing their friend from going further as if putting a barrier between their worlds. Lisa had no choice but to step away and joined the rest of the girls in the other van. Jisoo exhaled heavily and so did Jennie when Lisa found a seat between the two of them. The answer to Rosé’s question is obvious, the problem is yet to be resolved. Rosé suddenly unbuckled her seatbelt and slide the door open.

“Chae, she needs time” Jennie exclaimed but the younger girl glanced at them.

“Trust me. It’s okay.” Rosé softly grinned and before anyone can stop her, she’s out of there. She dashed towards the vehicle and knocked at the window. After a few seconds, it opened up and the girl entered the vehicle to meet the new crew YG hired to manage Soohyun’s schedule and attend to her needs. Two new faces welcomed her and one of them is Soohyun’s new manager. They exchanged pleasantries but Blackpink’s main vocal settled at the back of the van next to Soohyun. Her intention was clear and hope that Soohyun would open up. Their eyes met, Rosé opened but Soohyun dropped the bomb and said, “Chae, not now please.”

“Alright.” Rosé uttered, brushing away the frustration. She happily held Soohyun’s hand and leaned on her shoulder. The vehicle was on the move but the only thing that’s keeping the mood brighter is Rosé singing optimistically. She is also holding a conversation with the rest of the people inside the car. There were laughter and trades of random ideas. It would’ve been a fun ride if only Soohyun would stop being stoned face.

“Hyun, look at Hank.” Rosé propped herself against the quiet girl and showed her a video clip of a dog running around in circle and doing some cute trick. “As soon as he heard your voice last night, he went crazy and kept running around.”

The other girl turned her head and watched the video, grinning slightly and said, “He is cute.”

Having to get a few words from the girl, Rosé continued on and talked about things she recently finds interesting such as new music releases, movies and random ideas she has in regard to their upcoming album. Soohyun hummed in response as she listened then out of nowhere, she pat Rosé’s lap that caused to end  the girl’s rumbling. The vehicle come into a halt and the minute the crew got out of the car. Soohyun begun to talk.  

“Chae, I’m sorry” Soohyun purse her lip but immediately looked down, hiding the brewing tears.

“Hyun, hey.” Rosé grabbed her hand as she patiently waits for the poor girl to finish her words. One thing she learned is to give Soohyun the time to process her feelings and thoughts.

“I’m sorry for what happened yesterday. This wouldn’t happened if I didn’t let my emotions overwhelmed me. I’m the leader and I should be able to set a good example.” Soohyun continued on and sighed deeply. “It’s so stupid.”

Rosé knitted her brow, as the swell of emotion overtakes hers. Able to imagine herself into the leader’s shoes, the burden become real, and she couldn’t hold back the tears anymore to see how serious and melancholic the situation is. As if she found the key to unlock a mirror that shows the sadness she’s been hiding, Rosé find herself staring at Soohyun.

“Hyun, I don’t expect you to be 100% okay all the time. Neither you should be dealing with this on your own.” Rosé voiced her concern from the very beginning.

“I know you come here to talk about yesterday.” Soohyun randomly uttered, as her trail of thoughts become clearer. “Chae, it is not like I didn’t try to get along with her. It feels like I don’t fit in this group. Like I always need to prove myself that I’m not a rival but a friend.”  

“Hyun, it may be true.” Rosé’s tears course down her cheeks. “But you belong with us and a vital part of Blackpink. I can’t imagine this group without you. Before maybe, but we’re better with you here. Yesterday is unfortunate but really Hyun. I wish you won’t let things bottle things up like this. I hope you’ll be more open to me like you do with Sejeong. You act so differently with them. Why is that? Just be silly with me. Let it rip because I’m not weak.”

There was a pause as they directly stare at each other. Soohyun bite down onto her bottom lip and said heavily, “They asked me to give up the right I have on all of Lisa’s songs. So, I did.”

“Eh? What?!” Rosé draw back and quickly dried her tears because it is a ridiculous punishment considering Lisa is at fault too. “How can they do that?! This is not fair! You worked hard on those songs!”

Soohyun lightly chuckled despite the fact that the other girl’s eyes bulging out of its socket in disbelief. Blackpink’s leader held Rosé’s shoulders and stated, “It but it is better than kicking me out.”

Rosé huffed and puffed till she saw the reason behind the decision. “Fine. But don’t do it again.”

“I’ll do better this time.” Soohyun said that made Rosé smile in content. But it was short-lived when the blonde-girl complained that she’s hungry.

“Oh! I have hot Cheetos.” Soohyun uttered with a dimpled grin and grabbed a bag of goodies her manager prepared for her. She fished out a bag of the said snack. “I told them to pack some because I know you like this. Here.”

She turned to face Rosé who is staring intensely as her iris sparkled with joy. In hunger, Rosé opened the packet and started to eat. Soohyun cleared and browse through her phone, then poke the girl next to her.

“And also, surprise.” Choi Soohyun, showed her a video of two orange fishes, known as blood parrot cichlid. Both fishes swimming in a medium sized aquarium. "It's for you."

“Awww... Joo hwangie!!Awww...Hyun..” Rosé snatched the smartphone from the girl and stare in awe at the video.

“I don’t know what else to get you---” Soohyun mumbled, knowing Rosé would like this better than anything else. And she was right, the girl spun around, hugged her tightly and both was shocked that Park Chaeyoung couldn’t control her happiness that she ended up kissing Soohyun on the lips.

 

“I—uh—happy—birthday.” Rosé blinked her lids as well as Soohyun, who is busy touching her ear. Both erupt in red and clearing their throats.

“Uhmm..I’ll get off first then.” The main vocalist got up to runaway but the taller girl pulled her back, wrapping arms around her slender waist and rested a chin on her.shoulder to whisper these words:

“Miss Park, can I keep you?”

Feeling more at ease with the affection the girl is giving her, Rosé tried her best to keep things into perspective and not to idealise Soohyun. She simply looked over and caressed the woman’s hands.

“Commander Choi, I’d love it if we start by being honest and to learn to trust each other.” The main vocalist stated. “Let’s take care of each other, okay?”

“I’d love that too.” Soohyun genuinely smiled and they both decided to get off the van. Then they were greeted by the very woman who stayed with them since the beginning.

“Choi Soohyun, can you keep me too?” The multitalented celebrity puckered her lips in a playful manner but Rosè is quicky to excuse herself after the woman gave her a thumbs up. This completely thrown her out of balance and raised a brow when it is just the two of them.

“What’s with the thumbs up?” Soohyun asked in pure curiosity since the dark haired girl previously snapped in rage. “Nini, is everything okay?”

The girl stared at her and hummed in response, handing the latter a small black box with a golden lace ribbon on top of it. They both exchange a look but Jennie, who Soohyun called Nini, smiled. “Happy Birthday. Hope you’ll like it. Quick open it.”

Soohyun carefully untied the ribbon and opened the lid to see a bracelet with a letter S as a pendant. It is gold in colour and a few charms like a headphone and music notes complete the set. She looked at Jennie who picked the bracelet and reached for her left arm, placing the said jewellery around her wrist.

“Awhile ago, Jisoo and I made bracelets like these for the four of us. So I made this for you.” Jennie explained as she admire creation fit Soohyun perfectly.

The leader leaned forward and plant a soft kiss on Jennie’s forehead. “Words cannot explain how much you mean to me. And I cannot thank you enough.”

Jennie who is now crimson red, cannot hide the amount of happiness that little gesture brought to her life. Soohyun levelled herself with hers, purring, “Nini, are you really okay? Not jealous at all?”

Jennie slyly grinned, putting her arms above Soohyun’s shoulders, letting it dangle as she gave her a hug. “I am not jealous at all because I’m ier.” A subtle giggle escaped from her lips, followed by Soohyun’s light chuckle.

“I know. And..” Soohyun grabbed something from her handbag and gave it to the girl who is confused. A neatly folded paper and a usb was given to her. Jennie could only think of two things- work and a demo sample, not really what she’s wanting at the moment. Soohyun sensed that something is off and quickly grabbed her earphone and handed it to Jennie. She plugged it into her phone. Jennie tried to ask but Soohyun hit play and a new melody echoed through the earphone.

(Author’s Note: just imagine it is a girl singing: https://youtu.be/bnVkf-z28YU)

Jennie listened carefully and realised that the lyrics were simple but it speaks straight to her. The expression on Soohyun’s face was easy to read, she’s indeed happy to share this with her. Twisted lips and quivering chin, Jennie wondered who the song for. After 3 minutes, She removed the earphones and told the girl that the song is beautiful.

“I’m glad you like it. Back in New York, I can’t get you off my head so I wrote this song for you..” Soohyun declared the truth that caused the other woman to cracked a smile . 

 

Jennie took a deep breath, trying to shake off the thought of hurting Rosé in the process. She spoke, “Hyun, I do love you. I always have but Chae she—-“

“Hey kiddo!” Another woman appeared out of nowhere, putting an arm over Blackpink’s leader and gave her a smooch on the cheek “Happy Birthday.”

“Hi Jennie.” A shorter woman in her late 30’s greeted the two girls and each received a hug from the couple. “Why are you guys still outside? Come on, let’s go inside.”

“Yeah we’ll be there soon.” Soohyun turned to Jennie, wanting to continue their conversation but Jennie just hold her hands and said that it can wait. “If you say so.”

 

Soohyun grasped Jennie’s hand and they entered inside a restaurant, following the couple who just walked in. Stepping in the said premises, there was darkness but that was replaced by a group of people cheering as the light went on.

“Happy Birthday, Soohyun!”

————-

Jisoo’s POV

The party begun but I’m too embarrassed to approach Soohyun, let alone greet her a happy birthday and present her my gift. The incident yesterday torn us apart and I could feel those judging eyes coming from my friends and seniors.. I’m being paranoid again because I’m sure they’re just avoiding an awkward conversation. Jennie advised to not dwell on it so much but it is hard not to. I owe them an apology, especially Soohyun but she’s too far gone and Lisa made it too impossible to reconcile with them again. She’s quite stubborn and that blabber mouth of hers opened up the scars into fresh cut wounds. However, I cannot stay mad at our youngest because she’s been there throughout the break up. Despite being so hang up with my past relationship with Soohyun, Lisa took responsibility for her actions. It may not be the right way but she didn’t leave my side. This is all my fault. Lisa also insists that she needs to talk to Soohyun but our boss demanded to speak with them. Here we are, Lisa told me she doesn’t want to accept the new contract for her solo debut but Ms. Hwang warned her that Soohyun might face a disciplinary action if our main dancer won’t accept the conditions. I love YG but there are things that’s hard to swallow. To a public eye, it seemed like YG is covering up for Soohyun that would entice the media to twist it for ratings. Or it could backlash to Lisa’s party as blackmailing our leader. Either way, there’s no way out but to accept the fact that some sort of settlement is required if we want to keep both of them. In a long time, Jennie and I avoided confrontation. This morning was a different story.

10am at Blackpink’s dorm

Awake and busy in the kitchen, I found Jennie shifting flour and separating the yolk from the egg whites. Soohyun’s birthday bring about this mood in the dorm at the moment. With Chaeyoung being her sous chef, the two girls were singing and happily helping each other. It is refreshing to witness this again. So I sneaked inside the kitchen and stood there, looking for something to do.

“Chaeng, can you call Sejeong and ask her what’s the name of the restaurant where Hyun buys fried chicken from? Dara called and asked if we could order some.” Jennie plugged the hand mixer and commenced beating the egg whites till it is foamy. It amazes me how calm she appears every time she bakes.

“She orders them from Mrs. Kim’s Kitchen.” I interrupted that made them look at my way, they both had their brows raised.

“Oh okay.” Jennie glanced at Chaeyoung and I could sense their hesitation but I’m longing to be a part of this. “Umm..can you please order then?”

“Of course.” I happily ran to my room, returned with a phone in my hand and browsed through my contact list for the restaurant’s contact number.

“Jennie, Sejeong said all of the Sister’s Slam Dunk member will go. She’s wondering if Yoojung and Kim Nayoung can tag along..” I heard Chaeyoung said that kindled my curiosity.

“That should be fine” Jennie casually approved it instead of thinking it through. “Also Irene said she’ll go with Wendy and Seulgi. The other two have schedules so they can’t m

Please log in to read the full chapter