001

Next Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1] Chapter [/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2] 001 [/CONTENTID2]

 

[CONTENTID3]Behind those walls, his screams always startled me. 

 

Not like the types of screams that you would hear in a horror movie when someone would be dying while being stabbed by the killer but the ones that scream just to let out their emotions (however, it still terrified me). In this case, there would be that startling scream followed by angry keyboard tapping, an avid gamer, most likely. 

 

Every single night, my next-door neighbor would play games approximately at eleven in the evening which was terrible timing since that would be the time I would be in bed. And the worst part was, it was right next to my bedroom. Imagine hearing startling screams nearly every half-hour, not a good thing to hear when you’re sleeping.

 

But as much as the screams infuriated me, I didn’t even want to bother complaining about it. I’m not the confrontational type of person. I disliked conflict as much as I hated my neighbor’s screams. Besides, I didn’t even know who he was or what he even looked like, for all I know I could’ve confronted someone I would’ve heavily regret confronting.

 

“Hey! Which crazy bastard shot me,” the neighbor screamed, waking me up as I was close to dozing off.

 

Facing the blank wall that was the barrier between him and I, my eyes furrowed into a glare as if he would notice. Tapping on my phone's screen that rested on my nightstand, it was only 12:22 in the morning. Rolling my eyes, I laid back on my bed and stared at the ceiling while the sound of his keyboard tapped furiously in the background faintly.

 

“Why couldn’t I get someone like an old lady? Why did it have to be him,” I whispered to myself as if I had the answer. “I guess I’m just unlucky in this situation.”

 

“! Back me up, back me up,” he repeated, obviously panicking judging from his tone. “My health bar is low!”

 

My tolerance bar was low.

 

Closing my eyes, I pulled the covers over my head as the tactic to block out his voice like always. It always somewhat worked, I couldn't hear his keyboard yet I could hear him but a bit more faintly. Knowing it was the best I could do, I drifted off to a slumber as my eyelids started to feel heavy.

 

 

After my shift ended at the cafe, I would pass by the convenience store on the way home. Almost every week, I would stop by and buy some snacks and drinks that would last until the next time I would stop by. Now, unlike most, I found comfort in that convenience store. It was quiet most of the time; I was familiar with the employees and I pretty much knew what the store offered like the back of my hand. And speaking of employees, there was one in particular that caught my eye.

 

Every time I entered that store, he was there at the cash register to greet me. If I could describe him, he would be like a puppy but somewhat shy. His hair was black and permed which sometimes I would fight the urge to ruffle with my hands. Round, wire-framed glasses would rest upon his face and it was adorable when he would occasionally use his fingers to push them up. Last but not least, his shy, rectangular smile was killer. It was heart-fluttering whenever he smiled or laughed with his coworkers. If it wasn’t anymore obvious, I liked him.

 

The convenience store was about a couple of feet away and like always, I grew more excited with every step I took. My hands made their way in brushing loose strands of hair behind my ears as an instinct. My appearance was a mess after eight tiresome hours of making drinks and walking for over fifteen minutes, some effort had to be put in.

 

As I walked into the store, the cold air from the air conditioning greeted me with the ringing bell above the door as always. Turning to the cash register, I smiled seeing who it was. It was him, Baekhyun.

 

“Hello,” Baekhyun greeted with his usual heart-fluttering smile. It took a lot of strength within me to not melt.

 

“Hi,” I greeted back with a small wave before I reached over to take a basket and made my way through the aisles. 

 

The aisles were fully stocked with the items that I would typically buy: instant neoguri ramen, some chocolate bars with almonds, an aloe vera drink, and chewing gum. Of course while browsing through the aisles, I grabbed items that piqued my interest. It wasn’t long before I was finished gathering everything.

 

And as I made my way to the cash register, my heart would beat rapidly as I glanced at Baekhyun. He was talking with a customer as I came in line. His smile radiated as he talked with them which never failed to send butterflies in my stomach. It was astonishing how much I liked him without even knowing much about him.

 

As the customer in front of me left, I slid down and now stood in front of him. Baekhyun turned to me as I handed him my basket. He thanked me with a smile before scanning my items. 

 

“I see you’ve discovered some of our newest items today,” Baekhyun commented as he went through the items. “Good choice though, they’re quite good. Especially this strawberry soju,” he said as he scanned the bottle.

 

“Well, uh, I thought fruit-flavored soju was interesting so I decided to buy it out of curiosity,” I responded. “But now I know it’s good because of you.”

 

I couldn’t even dare to look at the expression of his face. All I heard was a small chuckle from him.

 

“That’s good, you trust my taste.” As Baekhyun finished scanning and bagging my items. He peered at the monitor before turning to me saying, “That’ll be 22,500 won.”

 

After I dug into my purse for the cash, I extended my arm for him to take it. His hand reached for mine and took it, his fingers softly brushing against my subtly shaking hand. His hand brushing by mine was very common. I would’ve been used to it but yet there was that spark that surged through me whenever it did and of course it was my feelings for him going haywire. It would result in me always blushing and being flustered.

 

“Here are your items,” Baekhyun said as he handed me my bags. “Thank you for shopping here, and normally I would have to say “come back next time” but now I don’t really need to,” he said as he rested his hands on the counter and leaned in.

 

“Why not?” 

 

It was silent for a moment before he answered, “Cause I know you will.” He ended his answer with a side smile which highlighted his glowing cheek.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter