{Chapter 2} ~ They're Back

I-Spy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

The glow from the hologram radiates through the whole room, painting everything a tinge of blue.

 

The outline of a person seated in a chair is visible, although their head is cut off. Not that it’s an unusual sight. Same as how the voice that begins to speak has a deep voice modulation activated.

 

“Where are they?” The voice thunders.

 

“They’re on their way boss, give them a sec.”, squeaks one of the trembling minions.

 

“I don’t have all day, they should be--”

 

Whilst mid-sentence, the doors in the back fling open and in walk the women in question.

 

“I see you two forgot to reset your clocks after vacation”

 

“Ha, good joke but actually it was the guards up front that were giving us a hard time. See, they couldn’t quite confirm our identity” answered one of the girls.

 

“The struggles of being anonymous” the other one added.

 

“Considering at least one of you has your face out there, I find that a bit odd, I’ll have to have a word with those guards later..” Although their head is not visible to the viewers, they can clearly see everyone on the other end. 

 

“Didn’t I make it clear to all of you that once they arrive, you are to leave us in privacy. Or were you morons not paying attention?”

 

“No no! Of course we paid attention! Sorry for the inconvenience boss, we’ll be on our way.” says one of the lackeys as the rest of them hurriedly scurry to themselves out of the HQ.




“You can drop the voice changer now dad, it’s just me and Minnie,” she says once the door has closed shut.

 

“Aww, but you know I enjoy having fun with it Miyeon-sweetie. It makes your old man sound more intimidating haha.”

 

“They’d be just as scared of you in your normal voice sir. Just your appearance is enough to send chills through their bodies,” says Minnie.

 

“Just the impression I intended,” he says delightedly, as he rolls his chair back for the girls to see his beaming expression.

 

“But if you smile like that then that reputation goes out the window sir.” 

 

“Mmmm you have a point there but I’m sure I can spare a smile once in a while for my daughters can’t I. Minnie, you’re welcome to change the sir to dad once in a while.”

 

“Thanks for the offer and I really do appreciate all you’ve done for me but, I don’t know, I’m just used to sir.”

 

“Of course. Only when you’re comfortable, I’m sure Miyeon doesn’t mind.”

 

“Let’s not bring up this sensitive topic dad,” Miyeon says, knowing it’s still a touchy subject for her best friend. “What did you want to talk to us about here at headquarters.”

 

 Minnie gives her a grateful smile and she returns it.

 

“Ah yes. Well, I brought you here so you could get familiar with your environment again. I mean it’s been over a year, do you like the changes to the room?”

 

“Changes? Looks the same to me. Were we supposed to notice something out of place?” Miyeon remarks as she surveys the room.

 

“Trick question. Look, I got a new desk.” He says as he rolls his chair to the side to then gesture to the “new” desk behind him. “What do you think?”

 

“Seriously dad. Why did you drag us all the way here.” 

 

“Alright alright, I’m just joking with you sweetie. I have a special task for you two and it’s right up your alley.” 

 

“Really? What’s the task?”

 

“Night Operation.”

 

 

————————

 

 

“Morning Girls. I hope you’re all well and rested.”

 

“We’re good thanks. Big mission today I hear?” Shuhua answers. Yuqi is tempted to punch the girl’s shoulder for happily pretending she slept well and remembered today's call, but she settles for just rolling her eyes and moving on. 

 

“The biggest one to date.”

 

“That’s one way to hype it up Chief. Should we be intimidated?” Shuhua chuckles saying the last sentence.

 

“I would hope not. You three are the best we have to face them.”

 

“Ah, I see. These must be criminals from the most wanted list. Since you said this will be our biggest task to date they must be all the way at the top huh?” Yuqi asks.

 

“So high at the top, they’re not even on the list.”

 

“What do you mean?” Shuhua asks confusedly.

 

“Well there’s so little information on these elite girls, it’s hard to learn anything about them unless you’ve seen them first hand.”

 

Soojin has been quietly listening as always but it didn’t take her long to put two and two together from Soyeon’s comment. “Elite girls? You don’t mean,.. Oh my god. They’re back??”  

 

“Yes. I knew you’d figure it out soon Soojin, I admire your ability to piece it together so quick but yes. They’re Back.” 

 

Too lost and confused to acknowledge that compliment, Yuqi lets it slip by. “Sorry Chief but care to fill me and Shuhua in. Who exactly are these “elite” and “elusive” girls in question?”

 

“The name is Miyeon. Ring any bells?”

 

“I don’t think I’ve heard the name…” Shuhua responds.

 

“How about Cho Miyeon.”

 

 

Shuhua and Yuqi exchange a look before Shuhua turns back to speak to Soyeon. 

 

“Cho?? As in the most evasive and cunning criminal bloodline in the world?? I thought their crimes came to a halt after most of them were arrested years ago.”

 

“Well not exactly. See it’s more of their name disappeared, not really the crimes. Most of the big crimes have been orchestrated in the same patterns as they used to. This gives us reason to believe that the Kim’s were placing their name over the crimes, not taking credit, just hiding the name of the Chos. They seem to be closer crime families than they made it out to be.”

 

“But wasn’t the Kim family eradicated in that nuclear plant incident more than a year ago?”

 

“All but one Kim. Kim Minnie. The daughter of the main Kim family. She was the only survivor out of them all but since the incident, she fled the country and no mention of her has come up since.”

 

“So… what does this Kim Minnie have to do with Cho Miyeon?” Yuqi inquired, still a bit confused.

 

“They’re best friends. Partners in crime. Aside from the Kim incident, where there's one, the other is sure to follow close by. They’re a force to be reckoned with and yesterday we got word they had illegally re-entered the country.”

 

The camera on Soyeon is minimized to the corner as she pulls up on the screen the radar and footage from yesterday.

 

“One of our patrol pilots reported their radars picked up on the presence of a flying vehicle however nothing was visible in the sky around them. Take a look at this footage from this civilian posted on social media around the time and area of the sighting.”

 

The video plays and the sky appears clear except for a few clouds until something whips across the screen. It’s hard to tell though, only the outline can be made out. Almost as if it’s invisible.

 

“Invisible jet.” Soyeon fills in. “Technology our scientists are still working on but have yet to fully achieve. That can only mean this is the work of the Chos. You may have heard of a quiet sky operation a couple of months ago that had a run-in with one of these. Unfortunately, the Cho’s vessel was too damaged for salvation and examination so we still have nothing to go off of aside from our agent witness.”

 

“I see. Whereabout did they land?” Soojin asks.

 

The screen changes to show a map with a red marker in the corner.

 

“Here. The abandoned military aircraft shelter”

 

“So you want us to go check it out for clues of their current whereabouts?”

 

“No need. One of our agents was there at the scene yesterday. The pilot that signalled in the initial sighting gave us time to use a satellite to pinpoint and track t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter