Chapter 2

Giraffe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

A few years later:

 

- Mom, I'm home!

 

Soyeon was looking for her mother around the house, her guitar hanging on her back. She got into the kitchen and ran to get a packet of corn chips, but before she could even open the package she felt a light slap on her hand.

 

- I already told you not to eat junk food before lunch, Soyeon.

 

- But mom…

 

- No, if you're hungry go eat something healthy.

 

- Ew.

 

Her mother just looked at her. She was used to her daughter not eating any vegetables unless they were disguised as junk food.

 

- And how was it, in the guitar class? All right?

 

- Yes, it was

 

- Any new friends?

 

- Mom…

 

Soyeon rolled her eyes. Always that question.

 

- Okay, okay. Well, before going into your room please put the table for us. Your sister won't have dinner with us, she's with her classmate's in a pajama party.

 

Hye-kyung watched as her eldest daughter set the table. Contrary to what she expected, Soyeon had never adapted to school life and eventually they had to choose to educate her at home back in her early school years, unlike her sister Sohee, both could not to be more different. The youngest was the class president and owner of a charisma that captivated everyone. She was always involved in some school activity or in a colleague's house, very different from the older sister, who locked herself in her room in a world of music and cartoons, just leaving the place to eat.

 

Lying on her bed, Soyeon watched the posters from her room, Luffy and Zoro from One Piece seemed to mock her thoughts "why does your mother insist so much on making friends?" She was fine as she was, the school staff were very boring and the art school staff... well, there was the prodigy girl at the piano who always greeted her and her clumsy hip-hop classmate who offered her candy when they took the bus. But before they could talk, she took off the bus and rocketed directly into the arms of a waiting taekwondo fighter. Maybe one day she would talk to one of them.

 

- Soyeon, here are the new figures. I want you to practice these new songs for the school festival, ok?

 

Soyeon got the papers that her teacher gave her. slshe didn't like to expose herself but she loved to play, so she would have to put her shyness aside to be able to do well in the presentation. She was distracted by the school corridors when she heard a different sound, that called her attention. Sounds in any case were common in the cultural center, but that one was different so she went to the room where the sound came from. The door was ajar and Soyeon could see a girl playing an instrument she had never seen before, her nimble fingers mastered the strings . The girl seemed lost in her music.

 

- She plays well.

 

Soyeon got startled when someone spoke beside her. It was the clumsy girl she saw on the bus the day before.

 

- Yeah, I’ve never seen that instrument.

 

- It's a guzheng.

 

- Huh?

 

- Guzheng, it's a kind of Chinese zither.

 

- And how do you know that?

 

- I'm from Taiwan, silly.

 

The girl laughed beside her as if to say something obvious.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter