001.

To Him, Who Loves Another

001.

 

HANEUL

Picking up the flute glass, I swirled it around by its thin stem, watching as the red liquid swished around. Bringing the glass close to my eyes, I waited for the wine to calm and when it did, I finally let my lips touched the rim, allowing my tongue to taste the rich taste of the drink. All the while, I slowly raised my gaze to the man sitting across from me who I recalled was in his late-twenties and the oldest son of a small digital company.

Based on how his eyes could barely tear away from relishing the sight of my body being hugged in a red rose dress, it was pretty clear just how taken he was with me. A corner of my lips stretched up, appeased by the attention. But at the same time, I had to go against the urge to roll my eyes.

Oh, how easy you are, I thought to myself as I leaned forward just to a little more. He jolted in surprise and finally met my almost mocking eyes.

“Say, does your girlfriend know that you’re here right now?”

His eyes widened in disbelief, obviously not expecting that question to come out of my mouth. “W-What?” he stuttered. “I… I don’t have a girlfriend,” he murmured, his deceitful eyes not daring to meet mine.

A chuckle sounded in my throat and I propped my chin up in my hand, “Miss Yoon Hyejin, twenty-six years old, currently undergoing an internship programme as a nurse, has two older brothers and one younger sister, her father is a carpenter and her mother is a housewife,” I paused to register the horror in his eyes, “need I say more?”

“T-That is preposterous! How did you get all of this information?” he exclaimed in incredulity and I laughed at how he was both denying and admitting the truth.

“Oh, Mr Park Donghyun. It’s as if you have forgotten who I am. I am the daughter of a CEO who owned most of the hospitals in this country. I have all the resources I wanted, whenever I wanted them,” I grinned. “Oh, if only your father would work harder rather than spending all his money gambling at the casino, he wouldn’t have to sell his son to marry the daughter of a wealthier company just for stability and reputation,” I cooed in fake sympathy when he suddenly stood up, creating an unpleasant noise as his chair was forcefully dragged back.

Angrily, he slammed his hands on the table, sending the cutleries into a messy heap, especially my wine which had now spilt. The white table cloth quickly turned red, absorbing the poison.

"Don't insult my father!" he yelled, red in the face.

The restaurant burst into chatters at the commotion and I could care less. Instead, I picked up the fallen glass and crossed my leg over the other, smiling at the little amount of red present which I downed quickly in satisfaction. "It's the truth, though, isn't it?" I chuckled sinisterly, meeting his wide eyes that were fiery with rage while his shoulders rapidly moved up and down rhythmically with his breathing.

"Even you knew that your very unfortunate company could have the potential to rise if not because of your father's bad gambling habits," I smiled sweetly, leaning back into my chair with my arms crossed. "What an embarrassing person. He thinks he could try getting on our good side with that pathetic attitude. What a load of bull," I rolled my eyes, eventually retrieving the poker face that I had been hiding behind the sweet mask.

"Oh, but you know what's more amusing, there's another person who is even more pathetic than he is," I drew circles on the table before lifting a finger at him and twirled it around, "his oldest son."

Before he could scream another bloody murder, I cut him off, "A man who has no respect for a woman. Do you feel good after feeding your girlfriend sweet lies and going behind her back just so you could save your stupid father's ? What an obedient dog you are. Wait, scratch that. Dogs should not even be compared to you, a person who is a sorry excuse of a human being. Your girlfriend deserved so much better than a foolish man like you who'd grovel down at the dirt, begging another woman to marry him just for the sake of wealth. Why? Your daddy won't give you pocket money if you don't listen, is that it?"

At this rate, he could not even say anything and only left to seethe in anger with his jaw clenched and his fists shaking.

I stood up and grabbed my purse, "I've said what I said. Say hello to your father for me," I put the sweet smile back on my face as I waved and turned to leave while he was throwing a hissy fit in the background.

As soon as I exited the posh restaurant, a silver Bentley was already conveniently parked in front of me. My family's driver of twenty years, Mr Kim quickly climbed out of the car to open the door, bowing to me as I entered through. "Home, Miss?" he asked and I hummed in thought, "Actually, let's go to the usual place," I grinned.

He chuckled and nodded in understanding before gently closing the door.

 

 

Around a dozen minutes later, a familiar convenience store came into view and my heart fluttered in both excitement and nervousness. "Thanks, Mr Kim. I'll be back in a few," I opened the door and got out in a hurry. I then paused for a second before popping my head back in, "Do you want anything from the store?"

Mr Kim chuckled and shook his head in response, "That won't be necessary, Miss. I sincerely thank you for your offer, however."

"If you say so," I shrugged and shut the door close before approaching the entrance of the fairly small store. Through the glass walls, I could already see the face that I had been longing to see, sending the butterflies in my stomach to flutter wildly. Biting my lip bashfully, I entered through the automatic doors.

He immediately shifted his attention from whatever note-taking he was doing and spoke aloud, "Welcome!". When his eyes met mine, however, they widened in realisation and he exclaimed, "Haneul-ah!"

I grinned and waved enthusiastically, internally crying at how beautiful my name sounded rolling from his tongue. Cheerfully, I skipped towards him, loving the fact that his eyes never left me. As soon as I was standing in front of him at the counter, I giggled, "Long time no see, Seungcheol Oppa."

"What are you talking about, you were here two days ago and we literally just met each other six hours ago. We went to the same university, remember?" he playfully poked my forehead and I grinned childishly. "Well, time slowed down when you're not around. I couldn't really tell," I shrugged.

He chuckled and shook his head in amusement. His brown eyes then took a quick once-over—oh, how respectful of him—at my scandalous attire and a question popped out of his mouth, "Where have you been?"

"A date," I said with hopeful eyes for any abrupt change in his expression but none. "Oh, is that so?" he instead asked and I huffed with folded arms, "At least show some jealousy or something, that'd at least made my night after a terrible matchmaking."

"A matchmaking?" he balked. "And you wear this? That dress is too short, you could've been taken advantage of like that, young lady," he chided and I glared at him, "There you go again with your brotherly act."

His lips curled into a sweet smile which melted my anger away real quick. And when he ruffled through my hair, I couldn't even comprehend just how happy I was. Beneath his hand, I sneaked a look at him and woefully thought, Why can't you just see me as a woman?

Choi Seungcheol.

I did not remember when it started but I have been in love with my brother's best friend for the longest time—okay, maybe just three years. Was it after he stood up for me against my abusive ex-boyfriend, or was it that time when he me got seaweed soup for my twentieth birthday, or was it when he took me to the aquarium (through my endless demands) and said I was cute whenever I get mesmerised by the little fishy? I couldn't quite remember, but what I did remember was the phrase that he always used to prod at my feelings: "I love you like a little sister, Haneul-ah."

Every. Single. Time.

"Well, I'm gonna go get some snacks now," I said, pulling away from his hand and wrinkled my nose as I brushed my hand through my now dishevelled hair. After tossing a bunch of junk food and cup noodles in the basket, I returned to the counter where Seungcheol Oppa immediately scolded, "You have a personal chef, don't you? Stop eating so much junk food. It's unhealthy for your body."

"Yes, father," I sarcastically said.

Through the heap of snacks, he then took out a very suspicious box to which he furrowed his eyebrows. For a few times, he switched his attention from me to the box questioningly.

"Please tell me you took this by mistake or at least tell me this isn't for you," he questioned sternly and I shrugged nonchalantly, "Who knows."

It was a pregnancy test kit.

"Jeon Haneul. Don't make me tell your brother about this," he shook the box in front of my face, making me lean my head back.

My eyes became crossed as the box came close and I wrinkled my nose before yanking away the box and putting it back to where it belonged. I then returned to him with a huff, "Can't you take a joke?"

"I can, but not pregnancy jokes," he glared at me before continuing to scan my stuff. "Especially not from you," he emphasised with a point of his finger.

"Damn, sometimes I wonder how many dads I have. I mean, I don't really mind calling you Da—"

I stopped abruptly as he whipped his attention away from the items to shoot daggers at me. If looks could kill, I pouted.

"That'll be $14.50," he said after tapping at the cash register. After I paid him, I took the plastic bags, shoved my hand in it and took out a bag of chips that I knew to be his favourite. "One bag of chips will not kill you," I winked and before he could say anything, I waved and left.

"Go home safely!" I heard him yell and I turned around to make a big heart with my arms. But of course that did not go well with the plastic bags in my hands as they ended up smacking my face. I yelped and rubbed at my "injured" cheek. However, when I looked up, I noticed Seungcheol Oppa laughing and God, I guess as long as I could see that beautiful smile, hurting myself would be worth it—literally and emotionally.

 

 

SEUNGCHEOL

I watched through the glass as Haneul skipped towards the silver Bentley parked at the front, with the driver (whom I knew so well considering how close I was to her family) already standing with the passenger door opened. He took away the plastic bags from her and motioned for her to enter. As if she knew that I would still be watching her, Haneul suddenly turned around and waved her arm giddily.

I laughed once more and shook my head in amusement, "That girl."

Finally, the car drove away and I smiled. I watched the clock tick by and was surprised that a generous amount of time had passed, making me realise that time does pass faster when you were having fun. I couldn't help but find that her presence during my work time had somehow made it less mundane.

And that dress really looked good on her, I found myself thinking before slapping my cheek, Choi Seungcheol, snap out of it! You're thinking like that because you rarely see her in dresses, that's why, okay?

Suddenly, a small vibrate came from my phone and I looked towards it to find a new message from my older brother, Choi Junki.

'Can you bring some beer on the way back? I'm all out. Thanks.'

After replying him a plain 'Okay', my eyes lingered on my phone. More specifically on the profile picture my brother had put up as his.

It was of him and his girlfriend of five years. Her arms were tangled around his neck as she planted a kiss on his cheek while he looked at the camera proudly. In so little time, the bubbles of laughter that had been in my throat earlier evaporated, replaced by uncomfortable bile.

"Kang Haewon..." I murmured, staring at the woman in the photo.

 

 

NO ONE

It was another stressful day at the university, at least was what the second-year student of Seoul University, Jeon Haneul, had implied with her cheek planted on the keyboard of her laptop as lines of indistinguishable words appeared on the screen. "Screw it, who needs a degree anyway?" she sniffled.

Jeon Wonwoo, the girl's older brother and a third-year of the same university took a second glance at the girl before shifting his attention back to the medical book in his hands. "Says the girl who said getting a degree would be a piece of cake," he deadpanned and Haneul whined, "I got ahead of myself after receiving the result of my finals after high school. I couldn't help myself, okay?"

"Now, now, what happened here?" a particularly pretty friend of theirs, Yoon Jeonghan, came to sit down at their table with a tray of food. They were indeed in the bustling cafeteria.

"Got knocked down by some assignments," Wonwoo shrugged.

Jeonghan immediately replied, "Oh, honey, you're barely halfway through Hell."

Haneul straightened her back reluctantly and deadpanned, "Thanks for the encouragement, Jeonghan Oppa. Bully the second-year again, why don't you?"

Jeonghan laughed and offered her one of his spring rolls to which Haneul chomped it down in seconds. "Oh, you know what would energise you?" Jeonghan leaned in with a hand cupped around his mouth and then he whispered, "Seungcheol is having a friendly basketball match later this afternoon."

Haneul instantly shrieked, "Really?!"

Wonwoo glared at the long-haired boy, "Stop promoting stalking to my sister, please. She's already crazy enough as she is."

"It's not stalking, it's supporting," Jeonghan puffed out his chest confidently and Wonwoo sighed in disbelief. "That's right," Haneul stuck her tongue at in deviance.

 

 

Like Jeonghan had reported, there was indeed a basketball match going on at the court in the late afternoon and Haneul was quick enough to locate an empty front seat at the bleachers. After she was seated, her heart leapt to upon realising that Seungcheol had promptly spotted her through the crowd. He gave her a charming smile that made her love him even more and waved in greeting.

In response, Haneul made a heart with her arms, something she had clumsily failed to do yesterday night. Seungcheol laughed at her action and wiggled his finger before turning back around to talk with his team. Haneul sighed in contentment as she let her eyes feast on her long-time crush in his basketball jersey that flaunted his toned arms.

I fell for such a perfect person, she thought as her lips took a sad turn. It's no wonder it was hard for you to accept such a flawed girl, right?

"But I ain't gonna give up so easily," Haneul spoke to herself, nodding determinedly. Soon after, the whistle was blown and the game was commenced.

 

 

WONWOO

It was in the middle of Seungcheol's basketball match that I have arrived. But in seconds, I was successful in spotting my younger sister. It was not hard to find when she was probably the loudest in the crowd, cheering for her favourite person.

I then shifted my eyes to my best friend in the court, receiving the ball from his teammate and skillfully scoring a three-pointer, erupting more cheers from Haneul.

"That idiot. If she had known... she'd be broken," I sighed.