The Recovery

Make Me Remember (2kim version)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It’s been a month. Chaewon wasn’t able to wake up within the 24-Hours observation period. Since then, she’s been in a coma. Minju stayed there day and night. She didn’t care if her internship in the neurology department was going downhill. She promised to stay with Chaewon and there won’t be anything to stop her.

Chaewon’s family requested for another bed in the room where Minju could sleep comfortably. Her friends also brought a bunch of clothes for her. Chaewon’s parents would give her food to eat so that she doesn’t have to leave Chaewon’s side. 

Minju is sitting on a chair beside Chaewon’s bed. She has this daily routine that she would talk to Chaewon as soon as she woke up.

 “Good morning beautiful!” Minju tried to sound as cheerful as she could. Although it’s really hard when you see your lover laying on a bed and hasn’t woke up for the past month.

“It’s your 30th day here in the hospital. Aren’t you getting bored? I’m pretty sure you’re very bored. You have to wake up soon so that we can roam around and enjoy our marriage life. You’ve been losing a lot of weight too so you really need to wake up and eat. I’d promise to cook for you so we don’t have to eat take-outs all the time anymore. I’d be a good wife to you because I know you will be one too.”

Right then the door opened, it revealed Yujin and Wonyoung carrying flowers for Chaewon. Yujin took the liberty to remove the flowers they brought the other day with the new one. Wonyoung sat beside Minju while Yujin did all those.

“How’s she?” Wonyoung asked. “The doctor said that I should just wait,” Minju sighed. “Is there good news or something?” The younger girl asked again. 

“Well, the oxygen in her head is starting to regularize so that’s a good sign,” Minju replied.

“I hope she wakes up soon,” Yujin sighed and stared at Chaewon. 

“Everyone does Yudaeng,” Wonyoung agreed to her lover. 

The trio fell silent and sadness climbed to their hearts. Minju was the first to shrug it off.

“So when are you guys going back to Korea?”

~~~~~

A week had passed and there hadn't been any changes since Yujin and Wonyoung’s last visit. Chaewon is still lying on the bed with a bunch of apparatus attached to her to make sure everything is stable around her. Minju is still by her side, holding her hand firmly.

Minju is still waiting for at least one sign that Chaewon will soon wake up. Just one movement from Chaewon will surely give her some sense of relief. 

Just one.

That morning surely was the day that sign will be given to her.

Minju is holding Chaewon’s hand and playing with its fingers and then drawing some random shapes on the back of her hand when suddenly Chaewon moves her pinky finger. It was a small action but Minju is sure it moved and she had to call the doctors.

She immediately pressed the red button beside Chaewon’s bed and soon doctors came rushing in. Chaewon is one important patient after all. Minju explained the situation to the doctor. He then took out a dim flashlight and pointed it to Chaewon’s eyes.

The doctor then turned to Minju. “Congratulations, Ms. Kim is now reacting to light.”

Minju released a breath of relief and tears started falling. The doctor and nurse left them for their privacy. Minju held Chaewon’s hand again and gently pressed it.

“Thank you Chae, thank you for giving me hope.”  

~~~~~

3 days passed slowly and Chaewon is now showing more progress. Chaewon’s mom was also staying there more than usual. She’s really hopeful to see her daughter wake up.

“Aren’t the hospital you’re working at going to look for you?” Mrs. Kim asked while peeling some oranges for them to snack on. 

“Uh, they would and they would also probably ask me to extend my stay at that department but it’s all worth it. I’m willing to do adjustments if it’s Chaewon who’s involved in,” Minju replied bashfully.

“I’m really happy that my daughter chose you to be her lover for the rest of her life,” Mrs. Kim smiled. “I’m actually happier that she chose me. I’m nothing without my name but she gladly accepted me even before she knew my family background,” Minju smiled back.

Their small bonding was cut short when they heard some groan from Chaewon. Minju immediately pressed the button while Chaewon’s mom rushed to her daughter to hold her hand.

“Chae~ it’s your mother…”

The doctor rushed in with two nurses following him. He his dim flashlight and gently pointed it towards Chaewon’s eyes. Chaewon didn’t just move her eyes but she also responded with a groan and her fingers were moving as if wanting to shade the light.

The doctor retrieved his flashlight and just then Chaewon surprised everyone. Chaewon finally opened her eyes completely and was able to have eye contact with Minju. A few seconds later it trailed to her mother’s direction.

~~~~~

“She must also stay at the ICU for the 24-Hours observation period.”

“Chaewon please wake up.”

“I hope she wakes up soon.”

“Thank you Chae, thank you for giving me hope.” 

“Chae it’s your mother…”

A bright light is pointed on my eyes and I wanted to cover it but my hands won’t follow what my brain is telling it to do. After the light was gone I was able to open up my eyes properly and see the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen.

Wait, what am I talking about? This can’t be, this isn’t right. My mother would kill me for having these kinds of thoughts. Right, where is my mom? Where am I? Why would I be here?

I wanted to have answers but my eyes feel droopy.

~~~~~

“Just give her a day or two and she’d finally be able to be awake for a longer time. Her body is probably still adjusting,” the doctor advised Minju and Chaewon’s mom after Chaewon closed her eyes again and drifted back to sleep.

“Thank you doc,” Mrs. Kim said.

“My baby is finally getting better,” Mrs. Kim said and held Chaewon’s hand. Minju knew she should leave the two alone so she left quietly.

Minju walked around the hospital to get some sunlight after a month of just staying in Chaewon’s room. She missed the sun and all the greens. Minju decided that it’s best to visit the hospital’s garden to get some fresh air and release all her stress.

She’s so happy that Chaewon is finally going to wake up but what if the complications the doctor told them did apply to Chaewon? What if Chaewon really forgets about them?

She would be glad enough to bring back all those memories or better yet create new ones.

~~~~~

I opened my eyes and saw the girl that I saw just a while ago. She’s sleeping, her head is placed over my bed and she looks uncomfortable in that position. Who is this girl anyway? Why would she be staying in this room? How could my mom allow a stranger to stay in my room?

Too many questions but I felt my eyes getting droopy again so I just headed back to sleep. Sleeping is always the best option anyway.

~~~~~

The next day Minju woke up even before the sun could rise. Although she almost died from a heart attack when Chaewon is lying there wide awake. She’s staring at Minju and barely blinking. 

“Who are you?” Chaewon asked with a questioning look. 

“What are you doing in my room?” Chaewon asked again. 

Minju is too flustered to answer since she never saw this side of Chaewon from before.

“I-I’m---“

Just then the door opened. It revealed Chaewon’s friends, all with smiling faces. Minju realized that she told them yesterday about Chaewon waking up. All of their friends then told them they will be flying over as soon as they can.

“Is it true?!” Yena barged in. Yujin and the rest trailed behind her. Although her question is subtly answered when she realizes that Chaewon is there with her eyes open.

~~~~~

The sun isn’t up yet but my soul is wide awake. The girl from last night is still there. I couldn’t see her face since it’s buried in her arms. I saw little movement then her head tilted before she looked at my direction.

I then decided to ask her the question I wanted to ask since yesterday. “Who are you?” I asked. She was obviously flustered. A few seconds had passed before she decided to speak up and Yena barged in to cut her words even before she could completely answer.

“Duck?” I asked after she barged in shouting like a mad man. I only knew three from that group of people. There’s Eunbi and Wonyoung, my childhood friends, and then there’s Yena and Hyewon who are my classmates in high school. I don’t know who the rest are.

“Chae you’re awake!” Wonyoung gasped and headed to my direction. She held me in her arms and hugged me tightly. “We’ve waited for so long,” she mumbled softly. I wasn’t used to her being this affectionate to me since I clearly told her before that I don’t like it when she does skinship.

“What do you mean?” I asked instead since I didn’t understand what she’s talking about. 

“You don’t remember?” Wonyoung asked. 

“You don’t remember about your surgery?”

 I shook my head.

“Your wedding?”

What wedding? I don’t even have a boyfriend so how could I get married? Is this some type of typical arranged-marriage my mom made me do? Why wasn’t I informed?

“Your bride? Minju?”

Bride!? What bride?! The last time I checked I’m 100% straight.

“Them?” She referred to the rest of the people in that group she’s with that I don’t recognize.

“, we should call the doctors Minju.” That hamster-looking girl said. She was too close to Yena and it is weirding me out.

~~~~~

A doctor came in after Minju pressed the red button for the third time since her whole stay there. He immediately asked the question as soon as he faced Chaewon.

“Do you remember your name?”

“Of course I do.”

“What is it then?”

“My name is Kim Chaewon.”

“Do you remember your age?”

“Uh, yeah? I’m 16.”

“Hmmm,” the doctor hummed while scribbling something on his clipboard. “Why do you think you’re here?” The doctor asked again. Minju looked at Chaewon and she saw that her wife was about to smack the guy for asking questions like that.

“Uh, do I look like I would know?”

The doctor proceeded to write down notes. 

“Do you know them?” The doctor pointed to Chaewon’s friends. 

“Well, I know Wonyoung, Eunbi, Yena and Hyewon but for the others, not really,” Chaewon replied. 

Minju was about to cry but she held her tears and simply showed a smile when their friends showed her a look of sympathy.

“Well, based on your answers. I’m pretty sure that you only remember things from your 16 year-old self, which doesn’t include your current friends.”

“What do you mean?” 

It’s Chaewon’s turn to ask. 

“You’ve been in a coma after a surgery for about a month now. You’ve forgotten about it along with some few memories from your past but it’s only temporary. We can get them back with the help of your friends and family. As for your physical state, I suggest you take physical therapy so that we can ge

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter