Part 4

My Introvert Girl

Author's POV

It's been 2 weeks since the last time Chaeyoung talk to Mina. Everytime she saw Mina, Chaeng would just stare at her from afar. Wouldn't deny it, she really missed Mina. 
It's just, her pride. She's too afraid to approach her first. 

When Mina looked at her, she would pretend that she didn't saw her and just walked away. Mina would always trying to catch her, but she's not fast enough. They both would end up feeling sad but no one ever say it out loud.No one really have the courage to say the truth that they miss each other.

Chaeyoung afraid she would just disturb Mina. On the other side, Mina though Chaeyoung dislike her. Because evertime their eyes meet, Chaeyoung would go away and start avoid her.

Honestly this past few weeks has been very rough for Chaeyoung. She got many assignments to do, and a few presentations. Everybody in her class is so competitive, when the teacher ask a question almost all of the students would raise their hand. It's kinda make her felt insecure. Chaeyoung start to think that she doesn't belong in here.

It's really hard for her, since she doesn't really have someone to relay on. She felt very lonely, and she doesn't like it. It's not like no one talk to her tho. Momo and Sana would ask her to join them, but Chaeyoung would reject it and prefer to be alone. It's not because she didn't like to be with them, i mean Momo is a good friend she's always care about her. And sometimes Sana would approach her just to offer some food. 

They are a good person, and it's a lie if Chaeyoung said she doesn't want to be  closer with them. It's just, that Irene girl. She's always together with Sana and Momo, actually she's look like a good person. But, oddly every time she stare at her. Chaeyoung always feel uneasy, it's like 'not so friendly' gaze. 

Maybe Chaeng just overthinking, after all Irene always look friendly. Everyone saw her as a beautiful, caring, smart girl. Everyone like her and want to be close with her. She's quite famous tho, although Irene is still in her first year everyone in the school already know her. Maybe that's the other reason why Chaeyoung doesn't like play with her. She doesn't like getting much attention.

Meanwhile Mina, just like Chaeyoung. Maybe she has many friends, but still something is missing. Mina would always wonder if by any chance she does something that make Chaeyoung dislike her. 

Maybe it's because something i said?
Maybe she got hurt because of my word?
But what, i never say something mean.
Maybe she just don't like me.

These thoughts always hunted her this past few weeks. Sometimes Mina would spot Chaeyoung, waiting alone in front of the gate. She always try to approach her, but there's too crowd. Too many people that prevent her way towards Chaeyoung. And also you should know. Chaeyoung's mother never late to fetch her. So when Mina finally arrived at the gate, Chaeyoung would already gone. And can you believe, it's happen not just once but many times. It's felt like destiny is never on her side.

It's already monday now, Chaeyoung sat quietly paying attention to the teacher in front of her class. The teacher explained about trigonometry now. As you know, Chaeyoung really like math. 

"Open page 43 task 1, write in your exercise book. You must collect it when the first period is over." 
After saying that, Ms.Kim sat down on her chair.

Everyone start to do their job quietly.
"Chaeyoung... chaeyoung..."
Chaeng can hear someone whispering her name. She glace at her right, it's Somi's voice.

"Yes?" Chaeyoung answered in a low voice, so the teacher wouldn't hear.

"Can you help me? I don't understand this one." Somi pointed at her book.

"Hm? Sure, it's not that hard. You just need to..." Chaeyoung explained everything to Somi.

"Ooo... okay i get it, thank you Chaeng." Somi smiled at her, Chaeyoung glanced at her face and smiled too.

The bell sound can be heard, first period is over. All the students collect their task. It's break time so there's just a few people in her class. 

"Chaeyoungie, wanna go with us?"
It's Sana, like usual they would ask her to join them.

"Thanks Sana, but like always i prefer stayed here." Chaeyoung smiled at her.

"Okay Chaeyoungie, see you later than." They already left now.

Usually Chaeyoung would be alone, but today Somi is still in her chair.
Chaeyoung doesn't really mind tho, she just take her lunch box and put it on her table. She can sense that Somi is staring at her.

Okay... what happen?
Chaeyoung glanced at her right. She's true, Somi is staring at her. Chaeyoung give a 'what's wrong' face.

"Hm? You always brought lunch from home?
Today my mom brough me some omurice, do you want some?" 
Somi said that while proceed to opened her lunch box. Chaeyoung stare at her omurice.

It's look delicious
Maybe i should try it.

Chaeyoung bring her eyes back to Somi's face.

"My mom cooked some cheese kimbab and bulgogi. Let's trade then."
They start to eat silently.

It's taste so good, maybe i should tell mom to cook it too.

"Chaeyoungie, i never saw you go out when break time. I just wondering why?"
Somi tried to open a conversation.

"Hm? It's nothing, i just enjoyed my time alone in here." Chaeyoung answered still focused on her food.

"You know maybe we can eat together everyday, like this. Another time, i would ask my mom to make some spaghetti. She's really good at cooking, you must be like it." 

"Of course, i would like to. Thank you Somi." Chaeyoung smiled after hearing it. It's okay right? After all she need some company.

"Your Kimbab really taste good, i like it."
They continue to eat silently. After a few minutes all the lunch box is already empty. 

"Chaeyoung give me your phone." Somi said suddenly.

Huh? What did you mean?
Chaeyoung didn't answered, instead she gave her a confused face.
Somi let out a chuckle.

"I would give you my number."
After hearing it, Chaeyoung just hand her phone to Somi. Somi start to type her number and save it as "JeonSomi". After that, she gave it back to Chaeyoung.

"If you need anything, you can call me." Somi said while smiled.
"Oh... thank you Somi." Chaeyoung smiled back.
.
.
.
It's already 4 months now, exam is getting near. Everyone is busy preparing for their exam. For this past few months, Somi really help her a lot. She helped her assignments and sometimes she would accompany her when lunch break. I needs to admit, they getting a lil bit closer.

She get a new friends too, Nayeon and Jeongyeon. The two of them sat in front of Chaeyoung. Sometimes they would ask her to teach them about math. Sometimes they would tell some jokes. Even it's wasn't funny, Chaeyoung would laugh. Sometimes they would share some food too, they are a kind people. 

And Mina she's really busy, her class is full of smart students. So she needs to work harder to get the first place.

Today school is over. Chaeyoung heading towards the gate. This time she's not alone, Somi accompany her.
Chaeyoung's mom never late, but today she got a few things to do. So maybe it would take a few minutes, but Chaeyoung said she would wait.

Chaeyoung and Somi sat together on the bench near the gate. They just chatting around.

On the other side, Mina made her way towards the gate. But then she stopped on her track when she saw someone familiar. 

It's Chaeyoung..... with a girl.
Mina start to walk faster towards them. She doesn't know what's wrong but she felt an urge to approach them as fast as she can. 
Perhaps she's jealous?

"Hi... Chaengie."
Chaeyoung stopped talking, she get froze on her place after hearing that sound.

This voice....
Could it be
Mina?

Chaeyoung turned her head quickly towards the voice. With a shocked expression.

It's really her.
"Uh... H- hi Mina." Chaeyoung stutter a bit.

Mina take a sit beside her, with a smile still plastered on her face. She glace at the girl beside Chaeyoung.
"Hi Chaeyoung's friend

"Uh hi..." Somi replied her smile.

Chaeyoung finally back to her sense. And smile really brightly to Mina.
Mina turn her attention back to Chaeyoung.

"It's been a long time since i talk to you." Mina said with a sad smile.

"Uh... hehe ye-yeah. I'm kinda busy, you know right, exam is getting near. I need to prepare." Chaeyoung let out an awkward laugh.

OKAY SON CHAEYOUNG 
WHAT'S WRONG ?!?
WHY why... It's felt so awkward?

Mina giggled, maybe the situation is a little bit awkward. But she can't help, Chaeyoung's expression is so cute.

The way she stuttered.
The way she smiled.
I missed that dimple.

"Yeah i know, i have been busy too... Chaengie"

Chaeyoung can felt her heartbeat getting faster again. Like that time, that first time she talk with Mina. They just staring at each other with a warm smile. As if their eyes said "welcome back". 

*kring... kringg..

Mina turn her head towards the sound. It's her phone.
My mom is calling.

"Um... wait a minute, it's my mom." Mina said, Chaeyoung just replied with an okay sign.

"Mina, where are you. I'm already in front of the gate."
"Alright mom, give me a second."

*sigh..
Why now?

Mina turn back, to faced Chaeyoung.

"I'm sorry Chaeyoung, i need to go now. See you later." Mina waved at her, and start to go.

"Yeah, see you later." Chaeyoung waved back, but she can't deny that she felt sad.
It's the first time we talk again.
I hope she stayed a lil bit longer.

"Chaeyoungie what's wrong?"

Chaeyoung turn to her left. It's Somi, she almost forgot about her.
"Uh nothing, i think i would just take a bus. See you later Somi." Chaeyoung start to walk away, she call her mom and tell her she would just take a bus.
She's already inside the bus now. 
Chaeyoung just remembered something.

I didn't ask her number again .
She start to rub her hair in frustration. Turning her hair into a mess.

Why....
Why it's always like this?

Chaeyoung let out a sigh.
And her smile start to form again.

I'm glad you approached me today,
Even though it's just a few minutes.
I'm really happy.
Thank you Mina.

On the other side.
Mina spot her mom's car, and get inside it. Mina sat on the passenger chair, and let out a sigh.

"Mina, what's wrong?" Her mom glance at her.

"Hm? Nothing mom, i'm just a little bit tired." She smiled. They start to made their way towards their home. 

Chaengie i still want to talk with you, but i think the timing is not right.
But...
Everytime i tried to approach you, i always failed because there's too crowded. 
But today, i don't know how i manage to break through the crowd.
Is it because...
This time i see you with another girl..?
I'm i jealous?
It can't be right?
Unless...
Did i fall for you Chaengie?

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Hello my readers, how are you? I hope you're fine during this pandemic. Do you like my story?
What's your opinion? Please comment below. And i'm sorry if there is so many grammatical errors. See you again.
-🐦Arzi